• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
cGnbN.jpg

must... correct... colors...

Nesotenso

ok I guess the K-pop thread is a good place to ask this. Is Hwaiting a korean word or the Korean pronunciation for fighting ? If yes, how did the word get into the Korean vernacular ? Because of the 2002 World cup ?

Ashhong

It's how they pronounce Fighting, because they dont have an F in their alphabet. Who knows how it got in there, probably before 2002 I would guess. It's like asking how "sexy" got into their vernacular.

Timurid

ok I guess the K-pop thread is a good place to ask this. Is Hwaiting a korean word or the Korean pronunciation for fighting ? If yes, how did the word get into the Korean vernacular ? Because of the 2002 World cup ?

Please dont remind me of that piece of shit rigged event ever again please.

jokkir

It's how they pronounce Fighting, because they dont have an F in their alphabet. Who knows how it got in there, probably before 2002 I would guess. It's like asking how "sexy" got into their vernacular.

Don't they use ㅍ for f sounds though? So it would sound more like Pighting?

Nesotenso

I get adopting English words but fighting seemed odd. I thought it made its way because of World Cup cheers or I remember reading something like that.

Dice

ok I guess the K-pop thread is a good place to ask this. Is Hwaiting a korean word or the Korean pronunciation for fighting ?
Yes.

If yes, how did the word get into the Korean vernacular ? Because of the 2002 World cup ?
Korean has 10,000 English loanwords. We did a lot for them, have been relatively friendly with each other, and a lot of us have been there for decades. In most cases, these general reasons explain where they got them, however they say that this one in particular is a second-hand loanword from the Japanese. They've been saying it as an encouragement for quite a bit longer than 10 years.

Timurid

I'm still salty about Germany losing the final :(

I guess Koreans remember it fondly. Not so much Totti or the Italians. Think the US made it to the quarterfinals that year.

My whole family were depressed for a few weeks after the italy game. It took me a good month to come back to sports after that tragedy.

Now lets move on from this morbid topic!

Suzy at KBS Music Bank!!!

KBS Awards!
Here are some Suzy video cuts from KBS Awards!!
http://youtu.be/vxxCwYZU4fQ
http://youtu.be/dsTtKaqz83A

JYP Charity concert!

Now I feel better!

Ashhong

Don't they use ㅍ for f sounds though? So it would sound more like Pighting?

Usually yea, but theres no rule for stuff like this. I see Pighting just as often as Hwaiting.

I guess Koreans remember it fondly. Not so much Totti or the Italians. Think the US made it to the quarterfinals that year.

Hell yea I remember it fondly. I remember waking up at 4am with my family and watching the epic Korean games. So many close games iirc. Good times.

Dice

I'm gonna watch all of the finished romantic & idol eps tonight. This show is cute and so are all the girls. Junsu is cool (rookie girl must feel luckyyy) and Mir is an asshat as usual.

RubyFaith

I'm gonna watch all of the finished romantic & idol eps tonight. This show is cute and so are all the girls. Junsu is cool (rookie girl must feel luckyyy) and Mir is an asshat as usual.

You'll be surprised by Mir in the later episodes and start calling someone else a asshat.

Dice

You'll be surprised by Mir in the later episodes and start calling someone else a asshat.
Then Mir will be a surprising asshat. Starting Ep 2 now. When Mir is talking to Jihyun in the car, Hyungsik looks like he's gonna cry.

giri

Was that theworld cup where some Italian douche took a di've against Australia and coat us the quarter final ?

Or Is that every cup cause soccer is incredibly shit?

Oh yeah , the second one.

Biscuits

You guys gotta remember to watch RM 123 and 124 with Go Soo and Han Hyo-joo. Two of the funniest and freshest episodes in a while.

amDZS.jpg

Tristam

Yes.

Korean has 10,000 English loanwords. We did a lot for them, have been relatively friendly with each other, and a lot of us have been there for decades. In most cases, these general reasons explain where they got them, however they say that this one in particular is a second-hand loanword from the Japanese. They've been saying it as an encouragement for quite a bit longer than 10 years.

I've heard that before too but the Koreans get closer with their word than the Japanese do. AFAIK the Japanese always say 'fighto!'

RE: World Cup. Italians have less of a reason to complain than the Spaniards, who had a clear goal disallowed near the end of the match. Also, I can't remember if Totti was the one who dove against Australia in 2006, but I do recall he took the penalty.

EDIT: And Suzy is stunning, god damn.

Here's a compilation of them on Imgur: http://imgur.com/a/T9fef

Was that theworld cup where some Italian douche took a di've against Australia and coat us the quarter final ?

Or Is that every cup cause soccer is incredibly shit?

Oh yeah , the second one.

I agree. That's why soccer is getting popular here in the US since the only sport where you can flop like a pig was basketball, but ever since the NBA started fining Lebron and his flopping cronies, there's practically no sport here in the US where you can legally flop.

I'm obviously being sarcastic if you can't tell.

If I strike out and hit that 10% chance of getting the Hyoyeon cover for "I Got a Boy", I am going to be so disappointed. Maybe Sunny and her trashy new hair would be disappointing too....

spink

My whole family were depressed for a few weeks after the italy game. It took me a good month to come back to sports after that tragedy.

I felt the same after the 2006 world cup.

Italian_Diving.jpg

I was so disgusted with the game after that shit.

have some nana

iLRBsIBKW2mWh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom