• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

vanty

1. Step - f(x)
2. another f(x) song
3. another f(x) song
4. another f(x) song
5. another f(x) song

Nine Muses was fine, but it doesn't come within a thousand years of the greatness of Pink Tape.

Pendulum

Another boring cutesy Secret song. I know I am probably in the minority but I really liked their Poison/Talk That concepts.

Nah, I'm right there with you.

So, that was the last release of 2013, right?

In that case, my subjective top 5 favourite promoted songs that I've enjoyed listening to in no particular order:

* Nine Muses - Wild
* Girl's Day - Expectation
* Baechigi - Shower of Tears
* Dynamic Duo - BAAAM
* Zion. T - Babay

Other random assortments:
* Album of the year - Was close between f(x)'s Pink Tape and BEG's Black Box (with Nine Muses' Prima Donna having secured 3rd). Even though I've listened to Black Box more times, I believe Pink Tape should take it.
* Artist of the Year - Sorry GD and your awards, it's Nine Muses.
* Rookies of the Year - BESTie. If I paid attention to any of the male rookies this year, I might have had an opinion on that.

Can't, even though I want to, put a T-ara song into that top 5 if I am being honest. However, I think they've had a great return in the later half of this year and hope that they can built on that for 2014. Do You Know Me?/What Should I Do has easily been my number 1 listen for the last week.

Selane

If I were to make rankings, they would rank low. Expectation is a short-lived fun and Female President straight up sucks. Don't Mind is pretty good, but they never used it.

I think Expectation is a really good song but I do agree that Female President is ass(and indeed, Yura's ass is pretty much the only reason I sat through the video).

Also while I would consider 9m artist of the year, I'd probably give honorable mention to VIXX. They used to suck then this year they had 3 good comebacks(On and On/Hyde/Voodoo Doll).

NyoRx

Nah, I'm right there with you.
Other random assortments:
* Album of the year - Was close between f(x)'s Pink Tape and BEG's Black Box (with Nine Muses' Prima Donna having secured 3rd). Even though I've listened to Black Box more times, I believe Pink Tape should take it.
* Artist of the Year - Sorry GD and your awards, it's Nine Muses.
* Rookies of the Year - BESTie. If I paid attention to any of the male rookies this year, I might have had an opinion on that.

Man.. I pretty much agree with this 100%.

catmincer

Yeah, it looks like Secret's release is the last big one of the year. Most others seem to be Japanese releases. So I suppose a poll could be done now.

K-pop in british magazine 'Front' (tattooed women in various states of undress):
MzZdH3a.jpg

dokish

Banned
Watching Korean women eat is so good. They always look cute.

And I realized I might care very little for K-Pop, while I glanced through all those lists you guys made. I don't know the majority of those songs and even the hot ones (like 9muses) i still didn't checked it out because of lack of interest.

I usually listen to music that I can relate with the artists somehow, it can be their personality or their dressing style (like a heavy metal band, or a grunge one) - which is hard to address in the K-Pop scenario because, you know...

Anyway, Girl's Day did a pretty good job. Crayon Pop wasn't that great but they were smart enough to take advantage of the songs popularity and promote the group the right way. They are still with their pictures plastered all over Caffè Benes around Seoul with their desserts being sold - which is no small accomplishment.

EDIT: What happened to GLAM? I started to like them.
EDIT2: The correct answer to everything is Major Lazer - Bubblebutt.

llehuty

Just discovered that CHI CHI disbanded 2 months ago :'(
vEc4kbD.png

RIP
Now that I look at it, it has a decent amount of views

[MV] G.Na(지나) _ Mornin' (일요일아침) (Eng ver.)
[MV] G.Na(지나) _ Mornin' (일요일아침) (Kor ver.)
She's nowhere to be seen in the MV.

Also, there are some releases before the end of the year:
D-Unit - Teaser, Junhyung Solo Mini-Album this week, a Zion.T single in 2 weeks and maybe EXID gets their shit together and release something.
________

Also, I could work in a recap thingy, so the one that is in charge of the poll doesn't have to link MVs.

Pendulum

a Zion.T single in 2 weeks.

Wat. I didn't hear about this. Why didn't I get the memo?

-----

Running Man 175 - Jihyo's face at
being accused of beauty crime XD. Also, I don't exactly know why revealing Jaesuk's wetsuit is funny when I see them at the beach all the time, but goddammit it is funny

isuzu

k, my top 10 so far

0. EXO - Wolf (it manages to be the best/worst at the same time so it's top of the list but not ranked because it's so horrible but I love it)
1. VIXX - Light Up the Darkness
2. EXO - My Lady
3. EXO - Growl
4. VIXX - On and On
5. SHINee - Like a Fire
6. VIXX - hyde
7. Block B - Be the Light
8. f(x) - Airplane
9. Girl's Day - Female President
10. f(x) - Shadow

I'd put voodoo doll and the entire exo's christmas album up there (FUCK THIS IS SO GOOD I HATE YOU SM HAVE MY MONEY ANYWAY)

No No Eul

He's back!

I like that. Suitably festive and catchy. I enjoyed the whole single take thing in the MV too.

Woah, no 9M at all?

Damn. I hope that all four releases at least added up to a decent total.

Net only got fixed yesterday. And now i have tonsillitis. Yay!

:( Get well soon mate.

This version from a girl dance group won "Best Dance Performance".

A link with no link? What devilry is this!?

Top 10 in no particular order in reverse alphabetical order because that's just how iTunes rolls:

Togeworl - Number 1
Shinee - Why So Serious?
Shinee - Symptoms
Girls' Generation - I Got a Boy
Girl's Day - Female President
f(x) - Airplane
EXO - Growl
Dynamic Duo - BAAAM
Brown Eyed Girls - Recipe
Apink - NoNoNo

TheChits

I've enjoyed a lot of stuff this year, but my favorite song has to be Beep Beep. It plays whenever I'm doing a finale on l4d2, so lord knows how many times I've heard it at this point, but I still love it <3. Pink Tape is my definite album of the year though. So many great songs

neoism

I've enjoyed a lot of stuff this year, but my favorite song has to be Beep Beep. It plays whenever I'm doing a finale on l4d2, so lord knows how many times I've heard it at this point, but I still love it <3. Pink Tape is my definite album of the year though. So many great songs

lol yeah Ive listened to it over 500 times... still cant believe they shat on the MV by only releasing half of it... hopeful it will uploaded to shittube in the next couple of days.

Conceptor

Thanks a bunch for taking on the recap task lle, I mean it. I have been terrible with keeping up with this thread and the scene this past year so it really helps :>

Pendulum

First information we've seen about the Gayos?

On December 9, music and broadcasting representatives revealed to StarNews that Lee Hyori and CL would be having a joint live performance at the upcoming annual year-end festival '2013 SBS Gayo Daejun' on December 29.

llehuty

Well done. You get a bum tap of encouragement.

Thanks, you get some Zion.T info in exchange.

It's going to release a single album on December 19!

He is in charge of the production.

"This album release timing could seem very sudden for the public, but it is something that Zion T has poured a lot of effort into. Zion T wanted to show that public that 'although [he] started music because he was first influenced by American rap music, [his] music foundations and sensibilities are that of Korea.' This album is a result of his desire to share that with the public."

luso

This 3rd album is much more listenable on repeat than the second which can get tiresome. New songs are perfect. Also loving Lips.
I still think &#8220;Love and Girls&#8221;, &#8220;Lingua Franca&#8221; and maybe &#8220;My Oh My&#8221; feels odd together with the new songs, which is a shame for the overall good album.
Galaxy Supernova looks like more a second album song.

Overall
1st album > 3rd >> 2nd

K-pop in british magazine 'Front' (tattooed women in various states of undress):
MzZdH3a.jpg

Unless they start singing in English, kpop will never have much spread outside of east Asia. If they wanna become big in the west, they also have to start singing live, so I guess it's simply out of the question.

kingkitty

This is the kingkitty kpop awards.

Top 10 Singles:
10) 4Minute - Is It Poppin'?
9) Dynamic Duo - Hot Wings
8) Brown Eyed Girls - Kill Bill
7) Taeyang - Ringa Linga (horrible haircut)
6) Seungri - Gotta Talkz 2 U (has a perv face)
5) Zion.T - Two melodies
4) 2NE1 - Missing You
3) Brown Eyed Girls - Recipe
2) Sunmi - 24 Hours
1) G Dragon - Crooked

Special Mentions:
Girls Generation - I Got A Boy (next gen kpop)
EXO - Growl (lacks awoo'ing)
Hyorin - One Way Love
2PM - ADTOY

Best Dancing:
Shinee - Everybody (it has a wub dance)

Best MV:
5) GLAM - I Like That
4) Shinee - Everybody
3) Fiestar - I Don't Know
2) PSY - Gentleman
1) TOP - Doom Dada

Girl's Day MVP:
Yura

Eldren

Damn, llehuty doing god's work with that recap. Thanks mate. I hadn't heard half of those songs before but I have absolutely fallen in love with Shower Of Tears. What a song. The MV confused me because it says ft. Ailee but it's actually Jiwon in the MV, right? I guess she's just miming Ailee's vocals.

-----

New SNSD tracks sound pretty good. Not a fan of Everyday Love but Lips and Karma Butterfly are great. I don't think it quite reaches the heights of the second JP album (Flower Power, Reflection and Paparazzi) but it's lows are nowhere near the lows of the that album (I'm A Diamond and T.O.P.). Overall it's probably the more consistent of the two and I'll probably use more tracks from this one.
1st JP album remains untouched.

-----

Some behind the scenes footage of the Glue MV shoot and the jacket photo shoot.. Awesome stuff from the 2013 Artist Of The Year. (I'm still reluctant to put out any lists yet!)

Edit: Ok I just said no lists but I'm really glad to see kingkitty representing Sunmi. 24 Hours is one of my favourites from this year, awkward flamenco breakdown and everything.

JKTrix

5 memorable songs for me from this year that come to mind-
SNSD - I Got A Boy
Spica - that remake/Hyori makeover song
Dynamic Duo - Baaam
MBLAQ - Smoky Girl
f(x) - Shadow

Maybe I'll remember some more as the recaps roll on. Good work llehuty
What's her name? She's cute.
That's Eunji from 9 Muses.

Selane

Damn, llehuty doing god's work with that recap. Thanks mate. I hadn't heard half of those songs before but I have absolutely fallen in love with Shower Of Tears. What a song. The MV confused me because it says ft. Ailee but it's actually Jiwon in the MV, right? I guess she's just miming Ailee's vocals.

Yeah, but when they performed it they had a bunch of people filling in to do that part. One week was Yoo Ara, I think Minah did it too at some point.

Eldren

Yeah, Ailee was unavailable for the MV filming. Pay no attention to those in the comments saying "it's clearly" Jiwon singing.

Ah ok, thanks for the explanation. "Pay no attention to...comments" is basically the only way to enjoy youtube regardless.

Yeah, but when they performed it they had a bunch of people filling in to do that part. One week was Yoo Ara, I think Minah did it too at some point.

Oh wow, that's cool. I love the idea of rotating the guest artist. That Hello Venus video was so cute and I thought Yoo Ara sounded really good. When she was trying to play it cool in front of the guy and Alice (I think? Whoever had the camera) was straight up embarrassing her, that was hilarious.

Pendulum

Erin got my note. :)))))
Nine Muses’ Euaerin revealed the story behind one of the most memorable confessions of love that she received!

Guesting on the latest episode of ‘Top Gear Korea’, Euaerin said that she had been the subject of attraction during a fashion show stage.

"All of the members were walking on a fashion show," she said. "Our names were written on our costume hangers, and I found a note stuffed inside one of my socks."

The note turned out to be a romantic memo written by an anonymous admirer. "I’ve always been watching you," it said. "I’d like to share a meal with you. I love you.”

The letter also came with a phone number, Euaerin revealed.

Oh.
Although she didn’t give away the name, she confirmed that it was a male artist. “I saved his number, and his name and photo came up on KakaoTalk,” she said. “So I know who it is now.”

Tried to make a list of my favorite songs and ended up with about 30 or so, I cut it down a bit, but damn was it hard.

In no order:

Two X - Ring Ma Bell
2Yoon - Why Not
D-Unit - Sleeping In Part.2 ft. Tae Wan
Ladies Code - SuperGirl
Ladies Code - Bad Girl
Younha - Fireworks
EXO - Yuri aka Black Pearl
BoA - Action
JYP - Had Enough Parties
Tiny-G - Miss You
Hyorin - Red Lipstick ft. Zico