• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Eldren

That Primary/Choa/Iron track is so good.

In more important news: Hyoyeon's belly button piercing has returned, thus earning the title of Best Summer Comeback.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
[Choreography] GUHARA(구하라) _ How About Me?(어때?) (Feat. Hur Young Ji(허영지)) choreography
Why the hell wasn't this the lead single? Choco Chip Cookies is garbo, but this is awesome. And Young Ji's rap parts are surprisingly good.
Youngji is too good in this. This is the kind of thing I always wanted to see Sohee do.

YouTube app on iOS finally displays vertical video in full screen. So good for fancams.
Oh, so that's why there were so many people endlessly bitching about portrait videos?

ramyeon

Youngji is too good in this. This is the kind of thing I always wanted to see Sohee do.

Oh, so that's why there were so many people endlessly bitching about portrait videos?
Apparently Android only got the feature in the YouTube app a couple of days ago too.

But vertical video sucks really. It doesn't display well on anything but phone screens (And even then YouTube only supports it now). Only time it's okay is for fancams in order to keep the focus on one subject.

---

lwinOBP.jpg

Tiffany's tattoo makes another appearance.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Tiffany's tattoo makes another appearance.
I'm pondering the "It's just henna" reaction, everytime an idol gets a tattoo. It happened for Tiffany, and it happened with Taeyeon. Other k-pop places, always light up with comments about how it's henna and how it's just for a comeback or whatever...

I'll never get it lol.

ramyeon

I'm pondering the "It's just henna" reaction, everytime an idol gets a tattoo. It happened for Tiffany, and it happened with Taeyeon. Other k-pop places, always light up with comments about how it's henna and how it's just for a comeback or whatever...

I'll never get it lol.
Idols aren't allowed to have tattoos, they have to be pristine and perfect!
/s

Some weird people don't get how attractive a good tattoo is and are just in denial whenever an idol gets one.

Ym1r

ewww yoona was never even close to being in my top 10 ever.

edit: i take that back, when I was only into snsd she was at least #4.

Dice

Oh wait that was your 1r brother Alta1r. He has been off in lawyer land or something, right?

vanty

Apparently Android only got the feature in the YouTube app a couple of days ago too.

But vertical video sucks really. It doesn't display well on anything but phone screens (And even then YouTube only supports it now). Only time it's okay is for fancams in order to keep the focus on one subject.

Vertical videos are great when you rotate your monitor 90 degrees ahah. Perfect for Ikaruga and Cao Lu.

[Choreography] GUHARA(구하라) _ How About Me?(어때?) (Feat. Hur Young Ji(허영지)) choreography
Why the hell wasn't this the lead single? Choco Chip Cookies is garbo, but this is awesome. And Young Ji's rap parts are surprisingly good.

Edit: page topper gif
tumblr_npv70nuseo1rbtyq6o2_500.gif

Will that be a second single or just something that gets performed a few times on music shows a couple minutes and that's it? Really is 8000 times better than the single.

ikuze

I'll never get it lol.

That was me and I clarified it's a joke. No?

Tiffany looks great in those pics :3

Dice

That damn Cushion song is stuck in my head. The only treatment is listening to Primary.

This is pretty fncking sad:

A couple days ago, seemingly at random, Jungah posted a picture of the group from their “Flashback” promotions, writing. “Our After School needs a comeback as well~ Every night, Lizzy sends me concert videos heuheu we fall asleep like that… ^^ We’re pretty cool hee hee ☺️☺️☺️☺️ #AfterSchool #Comeback.”

The next day, Lizzy left a message for fans, saying to give her comments, “People who are bored~ come here!!!! Play with me. Write comments. Yup~ um I am actually really busy … but let’s play!!”

A fan wrote to her, “Give us a comeback.” Lizzy then replied with, “We need money for a comeback but we don’t have any … I also want a comeback.”

Why couldn't DreamTea buy Pledis instead of YMC(Ailee's agency)? AFAIK, they're not broke whatsoever.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This is pretty fncking sad:

Why couldn't DreamTea buy Pledis instead of YMC(Ailee's agency)? AFAIK, they're not broke whatsoever.

Fuck. Lizzy's like one of the most likable people in K-pop too. Depressed idols suck so much. After School is so damn good too. Bang and Flashback are some of the best damn tracks I've heard in the genre...No idea how Pledis fucked that up. Sacking Kahi and Bekah is the one step, they should have never took with them...then again, they fucked up the promotions for EVERY one of their groups.

that -ugh- feeling when a k-pop video shows up on gaf outside the k-pop gaf thread. Must be what j-pop gaf goes through when someone makes a baby metal thread.

Anyway: I hear the girl I'm secretly having cheating on Yura with in my mind, isn't fake blonde anymore (weirdly don't like real blondes) I will remember it well.

tumblr_nrpg3tETKX1u2ih1oo5_540.gif

Need a source on this gif, please.

No idea how Pledis fucked that up.

Easy. Look up their 13 member boy group called 17 or whatever.

IIRC they've been training for the last 4 years and were hoping to be the next SuJu. But of course, Pledis ain't SM and even back then they didn't have deep pockets to consistently train people. I believe 17 just became a sunk cost thing, in that they already spent money on them anyway, might as well try to recoup as much as possible instead of just flushing everything down the toilet.

Slowdive

Banned
Love the new Primary.

Stellar honestly open up about why they had no choice but to go the sexy route
Q: I was shocked after seeing your teaser image [photo above]. Not just me, but everyone was shocked.

Hyoeun: Honestly, we were shocked too. We didn't do it because we wanted to. Having experienced two failures after "Marionette", we accepted the reality and decided that we needed something that would become an issue.

Q: But it seems like you still have some worries.

Gayoung: We have to promote ourselves, but I couldn't get myself to upload the controversial teaser image of us on my SNS. But we can't always live doing only what we want. We have to do what the public wants for them to listen to our song.

Hyoeun: If a group is not from a large-scale agency, it's hard to gain attention even if the song and concept are great. Because this is reality, it's pitiful when we see teams from other smaller agencies also decide to take on sexy concepts to become successful.

Sad, more at the link.

Q: But unfortunately, the results weren't great.

Hyoeun: We were persuaded in the end by the agency, but it didn't turn out well. Later on, we even tried to change our outfit to a sexy one, but it just didn't fit together with the song, so it was a big failure.
Gayoung: 2 weeks after we began promotions, the agency told us "We're sorry" and "From now on, we will follow your opinions."

too funny.
hard life for nugus. hope this time their sexy concept can stand out.

Dice

Junyool: Actually we thought 'Fool' was just going to be a side song, we didn't know we would end up promoting with it.

Gayoung: We thought the song wasn't all that good, but the agency pushed us saying that it's a song that makes people think of their first love.
The agency sure seems to have a good ear for music, lol.

Minhee: It's not that we don't do innocent concepts because we don't know how to do it. We are normally like other women in their early twenties. However, I do hope that Stellar can retain a bit of our color still.
Getting help from Sweetune back then might have been a good idea.

Shame about how things went with Mask, and while they might be right to some extent about people paying attention/investigating with a sexy concept, it seems they are ignoring everything else as if it doesn't impact on how much people care about a new group.

Because of Sewol earlier in the year, pretty much everyone was coming out around then, including massive debuts and comebacks. It already wasn't a time to be moderate in both concept and music as a group that isn't big yet, but then Ladies Code had their accident in the middle of it and I think the gravity of that only left room emotionally for established favorites.

At that time Bestie also didn't do well with 니가 필요해, a legitimately great song, but I don't think it was because it lacked shocking erotic imagery. EXID came out with super-banger 위아래 and it took 4 months to catch on, and that's half because of a viral fancam. When kpop moves as a collective, you just have to know what your rank is to know if you'll be glossed over among the pack or not.

It is sad to see girls who aren't into it work like this, though. Rainbow would do sexy concepts for attention but their personalities are like "you're damn right we go sexy for attention, what's wrong with that?" or you get someone like Hyosung who seems to just enjoy connection with the public and doesn't give a shit what accomplishes it, and if AOA doesn't enjoy being sexy, they are amazing actors. That's all fine, but it's uncomfortable when the girls are.

ramyeon

No surprises with Stellar. Like I mentioned when the Vibrato MV came out, I seem to recall them saying that the concept made them uncomfortable and that's why I couldn't get behind all the "SLAY" comments about Vibrato. It's not slaying when it's exploitive and the performers aren't comfortable. Gayoung's comment about being to ashamed to upload the teaser picture to her social media sites is really telling, very sad that they've been forced into this position by their company and they seem to be in a position where they've just had to accept that this is how it has to be done.

Dice

In other news, Sonamoo sure goes hard with their choreo. So much energy and pop. It really adds a lot.

Also WANNA.B is doing their best to channel some of that hidden After School for us.

But getting back to Stellar, lets be real, their level of talent does somewhat limit their options. Like, look at Poten here and tell me Ladies Code wouldn't have been able to sell that at least 5x harder, and not in Stellar's wildest dreams would they be able to do Um Oh Ah Yeh justice. Not to say there aren't any options for them, but if you want to catch attention without sexiness you need the talent to be attention-grabbing.

llehuty

150724 Z.HERA (지헤라) - XOX (feat. Euaerin (이유애린)) @ 뮤직뱅크 Music Bank
I like this girl, promoting both Dal Shabet and 9muses.

Also, #Erine4UnprettyRapstar

http://www.soompi.com/2015/07/24/ta...-gb-of-evidence-against-malicious-commenters/

I don't know whether I should admire @flying_petals or think he/she is absolutely insane.

I wonder how many of the non Taeyeon avatars from this thread have been reported :p

Peru

Watching IC, this ohhyuk x IU ship of mine is sailing.

edit> Why are they voting on what direction to take her song (and voting wrong?) I don't see the other artists in this situation.

No No Eul

That's a really interesting interview. I'd assumed that Fool was the group's idea and that Vibrato was effectively the agency's reaction to Fool's failure but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Evidently Fool was all the agency's doing and while the genesis of Vibrato is less clear cut, it appears to have stemmed more from the members themselves reluctantly facing the realities of the market rather than the agency demanding a return to a sexy concept.

It's rather a sorry state of affairs but obviously a change in direction towards sexier concepts has worked wonders for the careers of Girl's Day and AOA. I guess I can only hope that Stellar's current discomfort works out for them in the long run.

Having said that, some members of the group do appear to be less uncomfortable about this sort of thing than others. Jeon Yul, for example. She seems to be more on the IDGAF end of the spectrum:

I think that as a woman, we have a right to be sexy.

If [we are able to stay top 20 on music charts], then I want to hold a guerrilla concert wearing the outfits from our music video.

I want to try a sexy concept that's [more toned down] and just on the level of hearing "It's pretty".

On a separate note, I'm surprised they didn't even have proper access to a practice room (or their own vehicle, or dorm) until after the modest success of Marionette.

ramyeon

edit> Why are they voting on what direction to take her song (and voting wrong?) I don't see the other artists in this situation.
I mean I get what you mean, and I would love it if IU had full control over what she did for the song too but at the end of the day it's a collaboration and I think JYP put it well in that she's able to do the music she's good at doing whenever but this is a chance to see a different side of her that she may be unable to show otherwise. I think it was one of the funniest parts of the episode.

As to why we haven't seen any other groups having to do that, well no other groups put in a "complaint" that their ideas on the genre of the song were clashing (Yet, I mean, since this was at the very end of the episode so we haven't even seen what complaints the other groups have made about each other).

It's all in the name of fun at the end of the day and it wasn't like "Oh you have to do EDM now", even Myungsoo wasn't saying that in the final interview.

Hopefully they can come to a mutual agreement on the tone of the song, but I do agree the less tacked on EDM the better.

The clashes between partners is some of the most entertaining stuff in these specials, I cracked up when Jaesuk immediately turned down JYP's demo song, telling him to save it for his album and make a song with a faster BPM. His obsession with fast BPM is hilarious.

Peru

I mean I get what you mean, and I would love it if IU had full control over what she did for the song too but at the end of the day it's a collaboration and I think JYP put it well in that she's able to do the music she's good at doing whenever but this is a chance to see a different side of her that she may be unable to show otherwise. I think it was one of the funniest parts of the episode.

As to why we haven't seen any other groups having to do that, well no other groups put in a "complaint" that their ideas on the genre of the song were clashing (Yet, I mean, since this was at the very end of the episode so we haven't even seen what complaints the other groups have made about each other).

Sure she should find something that fits for the occasion, challenge herself, and that's what was good about the 2nd song compared to the first. Ruining that funky thing with EDM farts would be disastrous, and the PMS screaming EDM sounds joke is running thin after three episodes of it. But yeah hopefully the vote thing was all for show.

Top Bottom