• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Seventeen really is next-level compared to other large groups. If you have that many people to work with, that's how cool you should be!

Edit: Hani is here to announce pretty dress season.

tumblr_o5ygyumvih1u5giyzo1_1280.jpg

lol sana

llehuty

I really appreciate how Seventeen's choreos always highlights the one singing at any giving moment, which is not an easy task with everything that is going on at the same time. I hate all those groups that put the vocalist on the side or in the back just to have the leader/visual/dancer taking the spotlight.

Totally! Super cute and she got introduced as a girl with many talents, but we never really saw them. I always waited for that moment they would showcase her, but she always remained a background member. Well they kinda tried with After School Blue, but no one likes to remember that. :I

Let's take this chance to rewatch this classic:

[ETC] AFTER SCHOOL '첫사랑(First Love)' Trailer - Played by 'E-young'

I could see After School pulling a Wonder Girls with a band comeback, with E-young playing every instrument.

Dice

Listening to the Twice album JYP's song 소중한 사랑 is too good.

Touchdown alright. Not as big as it wants to be probably not memorable.

툭하면 톡 is going for the same aesthetic Red Velvet has been driving at but only captures about 1/5 of the soundscape and holds no surprises. Overall fail.
#EraOfRedVelvet #RedVelvetInfluence

Woohoo has a really nice flow and really wet mixing. Very easy listening. Feels good.

Headphone 써 is an awesome summer anthem from the beginning all through. Has a cool confidence in its perfect craftsmanship and showcases it through restraint. Would definitely be the shit at concerts. Maybe best song on the album.

Going back and forth between them now, I think Headphone 써 is the best on the album. That blend of Icona Pop anthem and MIA swagger and WG melody trumps the mostly 2PM vibe of 소중한 사랑, although I do like when Twice is like the girl version of 2PM lol.

This may be the Lovelyz many have been waiting for. Interestingly, it was done by OnePiece.

Pendulum

Twice's "Cheer Up" was a delight to wake up to on this hangover-infused morning afternoon. Not immediately as catchy as "Like Ooh-Ahh" but the MV helps sell it. The mini album is enjoyable with a couple of songs stronger than the single. I'm interested whether we'll see another Black Eyed Pilseung song for their next comeback because even after only 2 songs since debut, there's a bit of a formula Twice is falling into (c'mon Choi Gyu Sung, call upon your days with ShinsaGOD Tiger). Speaking of formulas...

...Lovelyz "Destiny" is fine. It's Lovelyz as expected, it does the job, but right now I am wanting something a bit bolder from them.

Seventeen's "예쁘다" is not my preferred cup of tea, but there's no faulting their performance of it.

And congrats Twice.
65102_original.jpg

feist_

Banned
Wonder if we'll get at least one more f(x) release before Victoria leaves due to age and Krystal quits because <fill in the list of blanks>.

Victoria and Girl's Day Sojin are both ~27-29y/o with 30 fast approaching. IIRC, the Brown Eyed Girls age gap isn't quite as large as some other groups so they should be able to continue as a unit more comfortably than f(x) and others. Additionally, their material and evolution lends itself well to that.

Still, f(x)'s style could continue to work as they don't make A-Pink or Lovelyz-type songs, while having a group dynamic that's *generally* more flexible across ages and personalities.

Totally! Super cute and she got introduced as a girl with many talents, but we never really saw them. I always waited for that moment they would showcase her, but she always remained a background member. Well they kinda tried with After School Blue, but no one likes to remember that. :I
Pledis have done essentially nothing with her, since ~2009/2010:

&#12304;TVPP&#12305;After School - BANG! (New Member: E-young), &#50528;&#54532;&#53552;&#49828;&#53224; - &#48197;! @ 2010 Korean Music Festival Live

Kahi, Jooyeon, and Jungah where still in the group in that clip.May as well add Uee to the graduates. Would be surprised if she had any desire to still be in any version of AS that may still exist.

E-Young playing yet another instrument during a 2015 fanmeet:

150320 After School E-Young - SHINE (on the flute) @ CLUB AS Fanmeeting

New Twice single isn't really doing anything for me. Not enough Momo for one but I'll wait for the music shows to see if it picks up live. Doesn't grab as fast as Ooh-Aah did and doesn't feel very fluid I guess. Like a bunch of stuff mashed together instead of a cohesive unit. The only part that seems like it fits is the prechorus starting at Tsuyu

tumblr_n1nx98yYrQ1ttoxpno1_400.gif

I can see what you guys mean by SHINee vibes. Love the MV and song.

Twice announced for KCON LA

Hype x1000

Hype -10000

Listened to the mini. Forgettable. Needs more listens to appreciate it. Or maybe finally seeing them live this summer will change my opinion.

Song is only enjoyable with the MV lol. But the rest of the album, my god.....

Still Lonely and Shining Diamond Remix is my jam atm. I'll be listening to the album all week for sure.

This makes it more painful that they're performing at NY while LA gets Block B......again

t1ML35B.gif

llehuty

Huh? I can understand people not liking Cheer Up right now, but the mini is WAY better than their debut. It haa zero gratting songs like the JYP one (no clue why they were performing it in music songs) or Candy Boy (although Candy boy has it's moments). Headphones song is great.

Although I have to say that Oh My Girl shits on Twice multiple times at this point. The way they bring the quirky singles, while having some amazing ballads (which I usually hate). And on top of that, they ALWAYS bring it during live performances.

llehuty

Yooooooo, Mighty Mouth have finished their hiatus!!!

[Teaser] Mighty Mouth(&#47560;&#51060;&#54000;&#47560;&#50864;&#49828;) _ NICE 2 MEET U(Feat. Soya(&#49548;&#50556;))

Featuring Soya and everything ;_;

Flashback to 2 years ago:

Just discovered this interesting rapper duo: Mighty Mouth

Bad boy (ft. Soya)
Lalala (ft. Soya). Here the MV, that has some weird echo going on.
Tok Tok (ft. Soya)
Their latest releases have been with this qt that is Kim Jong Kook's niece and part of a duo called Soya N Sun.

Love Class (ft. Han Ye Suel) MV featuring Uee and worst Hyuna. Both debuted that same year. Eng subbed BTS.
Live performances with Nicole, Uee, Hyuna and IU.

I love you (ft. Yoon Eun Hye)
Family (ft. Son Dambi)
Energy (ft. Sunye)

Kara - Honey (ft. Mighty Mouth) :'(

The duo is currently on a hiatus since one of the members (Sangchu) was involved in last years' massage parlor scandal with se7en.

My body is ready!

luso

I also think chorus is a little boring and unmemorable, well, most of the song.
Ohh-Ahh grew on me later on, so who knows, but for now I'm not impressed.
The MV though is great visually, and lots of Mina.
#MinaTeam

Peru

Ooh Ahh was a rip-off of some nugu solo singer's superior song - the girls sold it sufficiently for people to not care, they were taken in by their charms, but the song was completely unremarkable. Not fitting for a new 'nation's biggest girl group'.

CHEER UP is finally their real anthem. The chorus is one of the year's biggest - it's the synth chords underneath the vocal melody that really sell its majesty. The middle 8 is also great.

Also Mina is next level in this MV

No No Eul

Cheer Up has been going round and round in my head all day. So catchy.

Ooh Ahh was a rip-off of some nugu solo singer's superior song - the girls sold it sufficiently for people to not care, they were taken in by their charms, but the song was completely unremarkable. Not fitting for a new 'nation's biggest girl group'.

CHEER UP is finally their real anthem. The chorus is one of the year's biggest - it's the synth chords underneath the vocal melody that really sell its majesty. The middle 8 is also great.

Also Mina is next level in this MV

No amount of praise in the second and third paragraphs can make up for the nonsense you've written in the first.

Despite the hype surrounding them, Twice's music really isn't sticking with me. Too bad because Sunmi's solo songs are among my fave k-pop tracks, but those are an entirely different concept. I just wish JYP did some more like that.

broz0rs

Given how JYP is very aware of how his music is viewed in the west, it's peculiar how the pronunciation of "Cheer Up" was allowed. Anybody know who's vocal is that?

Dice

It's possible that they tried to scribble down a hangul equivalent for her and completely botched it.
I refuse to believe Jihyo screwed up that bad.

Nothing will ever beat Kara's "If you wanna pretty, every wanna pretty"

Pendulum

It's possible that they tried to scribble down a hangul equivalent for her and completely botched it.
I refuse to believe Jihyo screwed up that bad.

When the album preview was released, some people thought the phrase might be "&#51796;&#50612; baby" (since disproved by the released lyrics). But it definitely sounds like she's saying &#52824;&#50620;&#50629; written down on a page.

---

A single person beat the Team 101 subbers to releasing an Eng Sub for episode 1 of "Standby IOI".
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Dice

I mean just like someone tried and failed to make a sound equivalent for her to read, not a real Korean word.

Like this:

CH E E R U P

&#12618; &#50640; &#50640; &#12601; &#50612; &#12610;

&#52412;&#50629; Baby

Hack job but could have happened. Whether it was something like this or her just having no idea how to pronounce printed English, yes it should have been caught by production while recording.

Pendulum

I mean just like someone tried and failed to make a sound equivalent, not a real Korean word. I'd write an example but Windows 10 is dumb and won't install a Korean IME.

That's kind of what I was getting at with "&#52824;&#50620;&#50629;". It's like she was reading that for the recording rather than practising and using the English equivalent. To people who aren't familiar with or haven't studied Korean pronunciation, "&#52824;&#50620;&#50629;" is going to sound odd when the song title and lyrics all say "Cheer Up".

Dice

It seems we agree.

Mind you, the reason I think of this as a possibility is because I have actually seen it in some of those "behind the scenes" style MVs when they have an over-the-shoulder shot with their paper.

Byun Shi Dae
HyoRi
TiSicaYoon
SooNa
TaeTiSeo
FanySica
SooHyo

is there a dictionary for this kind of stuff? there is way toooo many, I assume they are fan pairings for shipping?

broz0rs

yep, I think it should have been &#52412;&#50629;, but definitely sound as if she pronounces it as &#52824;&#50620;&#50629;

I like this comment on r/kpop:

How do you guys even hear Shut Up? Obviously Jihyo and Nayeon were singing Chorup. Chorup Baby!

Pendulum

Byun Shi Dae
HyoRi
TiSicaYoon
SooNa
TaeTiSeo
FanySica
SooHyo

is there a dictionary for this kind of stuff? there is way toooo many, I assume they are fan pairings for shipping?

All but Byun Shi Dae and TaeTiSeo are ships/pairings (and they should be pretty easy to work out as it's all based on their names).
Byun Shi Dae = Byuntae (pervert) + &#49548;&#45376;&#49884;&#45824; (SNSD, or romanized Sonyeo Sidae). Would be used by those that like when the girls pat each other's butts, etc.
TaeTiSeo = A ship to some I guess, but an actual subunit.

Wonder if we'll get at least one more f(x) release before Victoria leaves due to age and Krystal quits because <fill in the list of blanks>.

When Victoria leaves it'll be because she can earn more in China, not because of her age.

Fixed. RIP

Byun Shi Dae
HyoRi
TiSicaYoon
SooNa
TaeTiSeo
FanySica
SooHyo

If you want to get into shipping, there is only one acceptable option;

SeulRene

dCZ543n.jpg

FvegKXp.jpg
Qyybn1B.jpg

feist_

Banned
OMG best singer, best girl, and perpetual trinity member Seunghee doesn't get a lot of fancams.. but every so often...

Seunghee --- 160423 &#50724;&#47560;&#51060;&#44152;OhMyGirl (&#49849;&#55148;) - CUPID [&#50500;&#54616;&#45936;&#51060; &#51061;&#49328;&#51473;&#50521;&#44277;&#50896;] by drighk &#51649;&#52896;fancam

Others:
Seunghee a cappella --- 160328 &#50724;&#47560;&#51060;&#44152; LIAR LIAR &#49660;&#52992;&#51060;&#49828; - &#44057;&#51008;&#44275;&#50640;&#49436; (&#49849;&#55148;)
Seunghee a cappella --- 160328 &#50724;&#47560;&#51060;&#44152; (OH MY GIRL) &#49849;&#55148; - &#44057;&#51008;&#44275;&#50640;&#49436; @&#54633;&#51221; &#47215;&#45936;&#52852;&#46300; &#50500;&#53944;&#49468;&#53552; &#50500;&#53944;&#54848;/by &#49324;&#54588;&#50644;

Seunghee "Cupid" member part impressions --- 160403_&#50724;&#47560;&#51060;&#44152; &#54060;&#48120;&#54021;(&#51064;&#44592;&#44032;&#50836;)_&#49849;&#55148;&#51032; &#47716;&#48260; &#52644; &#46384;&#46972;&#54616;&#44592;
Seunghee full "Cupid" member part impressions + more --- 160403 &#50724;&#47560;&#51060;&#44152; &#48120;&#45768;&#54060;&#48120;&#54021; 04

Hoody doing her thing in the studio https://www.instagram.com/p/BEoRge7h53q/
Yes.

and more lucrative Chinese tv/movie offers.
When Victoria leaves it'll be because she can earn more in China, not because of her age.
Both correct. I actually stated as much during the post-Sulli/pre-4 Walls period with all the breakup speculation that was passing around, as the lucrative opportunities Victoria has before her have to loom large.

Victoria and Krystal stand to make the most from modelling, film/TV and general endorsements, compared to Amber and Luna. Just as Jia and Fei have been somewhat prepping for their post Miss A careers, it's clear Victoria has been exploring her options.

Similarly, with Krystal's relative popularity in China I wouldn't at all be surprised if she could make more money than some Chinese/Taiwanese idols. Same applies to Victoria, and the age element is more of an aside.

feist_

Banned
Solar, Moon Byul and Wheein are usually among the first people to regularly greet and/or congratulate Irene, Seulgi and the others at television recordings and other events.

feist_

Banned
Seulrene the only pairing that matters and is real.
Everything I know about love, I learned from Seulrene.

My girlfriend has never been happier.

MomoFood is undying love, but Seulrene just edges that pairing.

Heh.

Oddly enough that Seulrene video you posted, is linked to another Seulrene video with a Mamamoo song as its soundtrack:

160311 SeulRene - Friday Night

"BGM : MAMAMOO (&#47560;&#47560;&#47924;) - &#44552;&#50836;&#51068;&#48164; (Friday Night)(Feat. Junggigo)"

It's one of Mamamoo's best recent songs. Maybe not as good as "Miss You," though it's high on the list.

Top Bottom