• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
nskinnear said:
MBDTF > CD = LR > Graduation > WTT > 808s

I had trouble placing Graduation and WTT; they both have some tracks that I like and some that I hate. MBDTF, CD and LR are all great. 808s is not good at all.
I think I already ranked them in this thread once, but whatever.
prettty much my ranking, except I put LR above 808s and behind WTT

Track review time

1) No Church in the Wild 9/10
2) Lift Off 8/10
3) Ni**as in Paris 10/10
4) Otis 9/10
5) Gotta Have It 10/10
6) New Day 10/10
7) That's My B**tch 8/10
8) Who Gon Stop Me 9/10
9) Murder to Excellence 10/10
10) Welcome to the Jungle 9/10
11) Made in America 5/10
12) Why I Love You 9/10
13) Illest Motherf*ker Alive 7/10
14) H-A-M 8/10
15) Primetime 9/10
16) The Joy 10/10

Recon

Banned
I honestly cant comprehend how anyone could place MBDTF above CD or LR. They are far and away his better works in terms of rapping and production.

Late registration>College Dropout> Graduation>>> 808 and heartbreaks>>>> WTT >>>MBTDF

IN terms of production I prefer Late Registration and Graduation to College Dropout. I don't think the sped up soul samples have aged well and I've bumped the album down from classic status.Kanye's albums after 808's haven't grown on me at all, really I think WTT is mediocre and MBTDF to be a disaster.

The M.O.B

Ken Masters said:
Track review time

2) Lift Off 8/10
3) Ni**as in Paris 10/10
4) Otis 9/10
5) Gotta Have It 10/10
6) New Day 10/10
7) That's My B**tch 8/10
8) Who Gon Stop Me 9/10
11) Made in America 5/10
12) Why I Love You 9/10
14) H-A-M 8/10
15) Primetime 9/10
16) The Joy 10/10

O_O

:O

These are some gracious scores.

Acid08

Banned
Ken Masters said:
Track review time

2) Lift Off 8/10
3) Ni**as in Paris 10/10
4) Otis 9/10
5) Gotta Have It 10/10
6) New Day 10/10
7) That's My B**tch 8/10
8) Who Gon Stop Me 9/10
11) Made in America 5/10
12) Why I Love You 9/10
14) H-A-M 8/10
15) Primetime 9/10
16) The Joy 10/10
Damn, I don't think I agree with these. 8/10 for Lift Off huh....

Acid08 said:
Damn, I don't think I agree with these. 8/10 for Lift Off huh....
Scores seems high because I've been playing the album straight for a month and it hasn't got old...... Yet. A couple months from now it's a very real possibility I'll only be listening to a few tracks from this album

The jay verse on lift off is absolute trash but at least it's not too long. I just like the vibe of the track and the beat switch at the end is :0

But I do think Made in America is terrible, the track is so forced at trying to be emotional the entire track just comes off as corny

kodecraft

ReconYoda said:
I honestly cant comprehend how anyone could place MBDTF above CD or LR. They are far and away his better works in terms of rapping and production.

I agree, but i wouldn't use the words far and way better

MBDTF is up there with them, if anything listening to the Good Friday tracks he was releasing had us feeling like it was a return to the sound and fell of CD and LR. It was close very close...better than that lazy Graduation album.

my ranking goes

CD > MBDTF > LR > Grad > 808's

Ken Masters said:
Track review time

2) Lift Off 8/10
3) Ni**as in Paris 10/10
4) Otis 9/10
5) Gotta Have It 10/10
6) New Day 10/10
7) That's My B**tch 8/10
8) Who Gon Stop Me 9/10
11) Made in America 5/10
12) Why I Love You 9/10

14) H-A-M 8/10

15) Primetime 9/10
16) The Joy 10/10

HAM > IMA??!?!?!?

MBDTF>CD>LR/Grad>808

Edit: HAM>illest because I prefer the HAM beat and jay just destroys that track. Jay was just as lazy on illest as kanye was on HAM

The College Dropout=Late Registration=My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy>Graduation=808s and Heartbreak

Kinda a cop out, but my favorite between the top three changes a good amount.

jtb

Banned
Ranking them for the hell of it:

CD >>>> Graduation > LR/MBDTF/808s > WTT.

The Late Registration/MBDTF/808s are just way too loose of records for me... can't listen to any of them all the way through, and for me, the album (as an artform) is all about being a cohesive whole. Watch the Throne is just inconsistent as fuck.

Nearly every single one of my god-tier Kanye songs is off of College Dropout. Jesus Walks. Never Let Me Down. All Falls Down. Not to mention, the last four songs on the album are perfect. Last Call and Family Business are fucking powerful. They resonate and you can hear that passion back when Kanye still rapped about (in my opinion) things that were interesting, rather than wealth and generic self-loathing (mixed in with his trademark arrogance).

I wish Kanye made more straight up radio hits, because Kanye is one of the few artists these days whose radio hits are actually a good contrast to the rest of the album cuts... Gold Digger, Stronger, and Heartless may be overplayed as fuck, but they're still great songs. Even his failed radio hits are great (like Diamonds from Sierra Leone and Touch the Sky). So there's no excuse for Lift Off, which is just shit. It's shit as a song, and, even worse, it's shit as a radio hit - it's not even catchy, it doesn't go anywhere, and it has unbelievably awful verses.

Anyways, you can see it in the decline of his album sales. LR and Graduation did a million-ish each. MBDTF and WTT did 500k. (Excluding 808s since it's a bit of an outlier, given it's stark stylistic departure) Maybe I'm the only one who's asking for this. But if Kanye's going to put an obligatory "radio hit" on the album, he may as well make it good. It's like in All of the Lights, where he seemingly decided that the way to make it a radio hit was to get Fergie to drop a shittacular verse right when the song's gaining some momentum. Fucking idiotic. Bring back the Kanye hitmaker of old!

1) No Church in the Wild 8/10
2) Lift Off 2/10
3) Ni**as in Paris 6/10
4) Otis 6/10
5) Gotta Have It 7/10
6) New Day 8/10
7) That's My B**tch 9/10
8) Who Gon Stop Me 7/10
9) Murder to Excellence 8/10
10) Welcome to the Jungle 6/10
11) Made in America 7/10
12) Why I Love You 9/10
14) H-A-M 3/10
15) Primetime 9/10
16) The Joy 10/10

kodecraft

the walrus said:
Ranking them for the hell of it:

CD >>>> Graduation > LR/MBDTF/808s > WTT.

The Late Registration/MBDTF/808s are just way too loose of records for me... can't listen to any of them all the way through, and for me, the album (as an artform) is all about being a cohesive whole. Watch the Throne is just inconsistent as fuck.

Nearly every single one of my god-tier Kanye songs is off of College Dropout. Jesus Walks. Never Let Me Down. All Falls Down. Not to mention, the last four songs on the album are perfect. Last Call and Family Business are fucking powerful. They resonate and you can hear that passion back when Kanye still rapped about (in my opinion) things that were interesting, rather than wealth and generic self-loathing (mixed in with his trademark arrogance).

I wish Kanye made more straight up radio hits, because Kanye is one of the few artists these days whose radio hits are actually a good contrast to the rest of the album cuts... Gold Digger, Stronger, and Heartless may be overplayed as fuck, but they're still great songs. Even his failed radio hits are great (like Diamonds from Sierra Leone and Touch the Sky). So there's no excuse for Lift Off, which is just shit. It's shit as a song, and, even worse, it's shit as a radio hit - it's not even catchy, it doesn't go anywhere, and it has unbelievably awful verses.

Anyways, you can see it in the decline of his album sales. LR and Graduation did a million-ish each. MBDTF and WTT did 500k. (Excluding 808s since it's a bit of an outlier, given it's stark stylistic departure) Maybe I'm the only one who's asking for this. But if Kanye's going to put an obligatory "radio hit" on the album, he may as well make it good. It's like in All of the Lights, where he seemingly decided that the way to make it a radio hit was to get Fergie to drop a shittacular verse right when the song's gaining some momentum. Fucking idiotic. Bring back the Kanye hitmaker of old!

I thought about this also. I don't think kanye cares of following the "radio-pop" format, he actually is a real hip-hop head and i am thankful for this.

jtb

Banned
kodecraft said:
I thought about this also. I don't think kanye cares of following the "radio-pop" format, he actually is a real hip-hop head and i am thankful for this.

That's what I'm saying though - he was more successful when he didn't try to follow this formula. When he does try to make "radio-pop" (Lift Off, All of the Lights), it tends to fail. And now he's going to be working with the producer of How to Love? When will he realize that he makes better hits (comercially and musically speaking) without this shit?

DominoKid

Ken Masters said:
Track review time

1) No Church in the Wild 10/10
2) Lift Off 9.5/10
3) Ni**as in Paris 10/10
4) Otis 10/10
5) Gotta Have It 11/10
6) New Day 10/10
7) That's My B**tch 10/10
8) Who Gon Stop Me 11/10
10) Welcome to the Jungle 9.5/10
11) Made in America 1/10
12) Why I Love You 10/10
13) Illest Motherf*ker Alive 11/10
14) H-A-M 10/10
15) Primetime 11/10
16) The Joy 10/10

fixed

nib95

Banned
I'm actually a little disappointed the more I listen. The only track I really want to have on repeat is Murder to Excellence. I find that MBDTF was more creative and better produced overall, though lyrically WTT is stronger.

Angry Fork

I gotta say you guys have some shitty taste in hip hop imo or haven't listened to enough of it. 808s is Kanye's best album by far. It's the only album where he doesn't abuse samples and does something that feels orchestrated and is actual music. Dude just went off and the instrumentals are incredible. I'm not big on the auto tune but it fit that album. Almost all of MBDTF was collabs with bullshit people, there were like 2 decent tracks that weren't sample abusing. Graduation was pretty terrible as well.

808s is Kanye's best because he doesn't try to rap on it. He's a terrible rapper and shouldn't be on the mic, ever. But on here he just sings whatever he's feeling at that moment and doesn't try hard with his horrible corny metaphors/similes that he thinks are witty.

808s > Late Registration > College Dropout >>>>>>> Graduation = MBDTF = WTT (these all are thrown into the sludge bucket of terrible rapping + ego centric i'm the shit i'm the bad guy + on and off production. Sometimes it's good sometimes it's inconsistent drivel)

nns3d

Angry Fork said:
I gotta say you guys have some shitty taste in hip hop imo or haven't listened to enough of it. 808s is Kanye's best album by far. It's the only album where he doesn't abuse samples and does something that feels orchestrated and is actual music. Dude just went off and the instrumentals are incredible. I'm not big on the auto tune but it fit that album. Almost all of MBDTF was collabs with bullshit people, there were like 2 decent tracks that weren't sample abusing. Graduation was pretty terrible as well.

808s is Kanye's best because he doesn't try to rap on it. He's a terrible rapper and shouldn't be on the mic, ever. But on here he just sings whatever he's feeling at that moment and doesn't try hard with his horrible corny metaphors/similes that he thinks are witty.

808s > Late Registration > College Dropout >>>>>>> Graduation = MBDTF = WTT (these all are thrown into the sludge bucket of terrible rapping + ego centric i'm the shit i'm the bad guy + on and off production. Sometimes it's good sometimes it's inconsistent drivel)

Some of the most famous hip-hop songs were built upon multiple samples...

I'm not gonna hate if you liked 808s, you brought up alot of good points that I never really thought about, but personally it didn't resonate well with me.

PBY

Banned
Angry Fork said:

I've never disagreed with a post more in my life.

nib95

Banned
Kanye's rapping at times can be very good, others poor. But to say he's a shite rapper is disingenuous imo. Also, the bad singing coupled with the incredible over use of autotune just shat 808s up for me.

Angry Fork

nib95 said:
Kanye's rapping at times can be very good, others poor. But to say he's a shite rapper is disingenuous imo. Also, the bad singing coupled with the incredible over use of autotune just shat 808s up for me.
He's had good/decent verses purely in terms of subject matter, but he's no emcee. He's a terrible lyricist and I just have high standards I guess when it comes to rappers. Rhyme schemes, structure, multi's, flow, vocab, etc. it's a mix of the best.

Canibus, 2002 Eminem, Rakim, Royce Da 5'9", Crooked I, Brother Ali, etc. these guys are lyricists, Kanye is (at the moment) incredibly annoying on the mic, he's an amazing producer though when he's creating something out of heart and not to appease yes men and the idiot demographic.

Afrocentric-Asian said:
Some of the most famous hip-hop songs were built upon multiple samples...

I'm not gonna hate if you liked 808s, you brought up alot of good points that I never really thought about, but personally it didn't resonate well with me.
I don't have anything against samples until it reaches this level of stupidity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ItJhPbsOU

So so bad. I just can't listen to this instrumental without wanting to stick a knife in my ears. Everything with Kanye to me is about his beats, I don't care about his verses because they're almost always bad, especially now where he constantly acts like he's a future visionary of the generation and is cast out of society for his superior musical prowess and won't be recognized until death like he's some kind of rap mozart martyr. It's sooo fucking boring.

I wouldn't mind that shtick if he was an actual great emcee but he's not at all. I just don't care for people talking about how great they are, if they're not actually that great. If he released an instrumental album only I wouldn't complain but he insists on spewing corny lines because he thinks he's good.

As for the collabs, that shit needs to go. If Kanye is going to release an album make it a Kanye album not Kanye & Friends™. I had a huge problem with Dark Fantasy because of this. 70% of the tracks had collabs and then Kanye's verses end up being some swag measuring contest between him and whoever else is on the track. Just shit the fuck up and rap about interesting subject matter like in his earlier days and 808s. There's enough brain dead music out there for car bumping Kanye is more capable than that, both him and Jay piss me off when they create weak shit for idiots.

Anyway to add about 808s. I truly feel like the majority of beats on there are masterpieces. There is SO much atmosphere and raw intensity on them. I just really love them partly because they're not conventional hip hop beats, it's a shame I can't find the instrumentals for a few since they're better off without the auto tune. They don't have the typical high tempo drum shit so that they can be played on the radio/in clubs. The songs I don't like on 808s are Amazing, Love Lockdown, and See you in my nightmare (beats are great though).

Epcott

Angry Fork said:

Oh, I don't know about that... he was pretty competent on Don't Stop (after the beat changes, he just goes insane).

blame space said:
The Bends > OK Computer > Kid A > In Rainbows > Amnesiac > Hail to the Thief

that new one.

What? In Rainbows belongs at the same level as OK Computer or at least right after it. Scoff Scoff

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Illest Motherfucker Alive is so fucking dope, it's the best song on the album and deserves nothing less than an 11/10. If you disagree, you are wrong.

t8crV.jpg
1jkJZ.jpg

How can you hate on this flow son?

Damn baby pussy can't be your only hustle
Unless you bad as Naomi Russell
I mean a lot of niggas got money
So basically, Russell ain't the only Russell
Russell Brand, Russell Crowe
Zero Zero Zero Zero, a whole lot of 0's
What you after, actor money?
You in line behind currency, yeah you after money
Bullet proof condom when I'm in these hoes
Got staples on my dick (why) fuckin' centerfolds
And I swear to God they so cold
Got a nigga in Miami wearing winter clothes
I got my fur on feelin' like Jerome
She got her fur too, we got our his and her on
Don't look at the jewelry, or get your blurr on
Too close, you comatose so dope you overdose
Get back, you overclose
Oh no, the hood was strugglin'
But then I blessed them with that Polo
Niggas was making music and then my first solo...
Collo Drolo tho, sponsored by Manolo
She got Zeppi Notos ready for some photos
Yeah and I'm cold bitch, please try to keep the door closed
Lanvin thousand dollar tee with no logos
Let me show you what I see when my eyes closed

RUSSEL BRAND/RUSSEL CROWE

medium_lights27.gif

zychi

Banned
This is weird conversation but this has been driving me nuts since the VMAs.

Is Kanye fat under the loose shirts he wears?
Skinny Fat?
Or is it just his chubby face that makes him look fat?

Because when he was making 808s he put on some weight(obviously for depression reasons)
but when he made MBDTF it seems like his face is still as huge, but his body shrunk.

Thoughts?

Tokubetsu

His jaw has always been a little fat post car crash. Isn't it still held in place with bolts and shit? It's the same thing with Vinnie Paz from JMT.

DangerStepp

zychi said:

Skinny Fat?

Because when he was making 808s he put on some weight(obviously for depression reasons)
but when he made MBDTF it seems like his face is still as huge, but his body shrunk.

Thoughts?
Yeah, his jaw had to be reconstructed. It's not necessarily fat, his jaw juts a little more than normal because of the scar tissue, plates, etc.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
DangerStepp said:
Yeah, his jaw had to be reconstructed. It's not necessarily fat, his jaw juts a little more than normal because of the scar tissue, plates, etc.

Damn!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
zychi said:

Skinny Fat?

Thoughts?
He used to be chubbier in TCD era, dressed a bit thinner during LR/Graduation, built up a tiny bit of weight during 808s, and post 808s and for MBDTF, since they had daily ball sessions and workout sessions while making it, he got built a bit.

About a year and a half ago:

kanye1.jpg

He's probably not as built now considering touring and shit. I feel weird for being able to chronicle this. *pause*

Ashhong said:
oooooh snap
Yeah that's the closest weve got to a shot at Wiz I think.

YoungHav

Banned
SonnyBoy said:
I love Pac and Biggie but they're only regarded as such because their lives were tragically ended. The same for almost anyone who dies in that manner. When killed at the height of ur career, ur frozen right there and can't decline.

Had Pac and Biggie been given the chance to put out some crappy albums and fade into obscurity, they wouldn't be so highly regarded. That's just the truth of the matter.
Pac made 6 studio albums when alive. He had plenty of chances to drop a crappy album and fade into obscurity.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Dreams-Visions said:
you mean guys rapping about how much fun they're having spending their money over and over again isn't spinning your wheels?

You know they actually do rap about other things right?

DangerStepp

enzo_gt said:
He used to be chubbier in TCD era, dressed a bit thinner during LR/Graduation, built up a tiny bit of weight during 808s, and post 808s and for MBDTF, since they had daily ball sessions and workout sessions while making it, he got built a bit.

About a year and a half ago:

kanye1.jpg

He's probably not as built now considering touring and shit. I feel weird for being able to chronicle this. *pause*

Yeah that's the closest weve got to a shot at Wiz I think.
I'm actually glad you did because I noticed the same thing. I was wondering whether or not he was ripped.

Dat picture answers my question... man.

BradleyUK

Dreams-Visions said:
you mean guys rapping about how much fun they're having spending their money over and over again isn't spinning your wheels?

Nope.

I don't want to feel bad for myself for being poor thank you. They can put their engineered success where the sun doesn't shine. :)

I like rappers who rap about real issues

Miggytronz

BradleyUK said:
Nope.

I don't want to feel bad for myself for being poor thank you. They can put their engineered success where the sun doesn't shine. :)

I like rappers who rap about real issues

so you didnt listen to Murder to Excellence? So your a LUPE fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom