• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West & Jay-Z present: Watch The Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyBoy

I love Pac and Biggie but they're only regarded as such because their lives were tragically ended. The same for almost anyone who dies in that manner. When killed at the height of ur career, ur frozen right there and can't decline.

Had Pac and Biggie been given the chance to put out some crappy albums and fade into obscurity, they wouldn't be so highly regarded. That's just the truth of the matter.

SonnyBoy said:
I love Pac and Biggie but they're only regarded as such because their lives were tragically ended.
No, they're held in high regard because their music WAS the music of the decade. When a new Big/Pac single or video debuted, the hip-hop world stopped to watch. Their rhyme skills , word play, subject diversity and creativity still amaze to this day. Their ability to connect with the poor and disenfranchised well after they've made millions is something all (and especially Jay-Z and Kanye) should take note of. If I hear another song from Jay about his money, I'm going to fucking throw up.

I love me some Kanye and Jay, but don't fool yourself into thinking they are somehow superiors to Pac and Big or that Pac and Big weren't who we knew them to be. You can feel free to debate whether or not they should have a seat in the Pathenon, though.

Personally, I'll take Warning as a single lyrical masterwork over just about anything in Kan's or Jay's library of music.

SonnyBoy

Dreams-Visions said:
No, they're held in high regard because their music WAS the music of the decade. When a new Big/Pac single or video debuted, the hip-hop world stopped to watch. Their rhyme skills , word play, subject diversity and creativity still amaze to this day. Their ability to connect with the poor and disenfranchised well after they've made millions is something all (and especially Jay-Z and Kanye) should take note of. If I hear another song from Jay about his money, I'm going to fucking throw up.

I love me some Kanye and Jay, but don't fool yourself into thinking they are somehow superiors to Pac and Big or that Pac and Big weren't who we knew them to be. You can feel free to debate whether or not they should have a seat in the Pathenon, though.

Personally, I'll take Warning as a single lyrical masterwork over just about anything in Kan's or Jay's library of music.

1st - I haven't, nor do I care to rank any of them.
2nd - I agree that they're held in high regard for the reasons u mentioned. But to my point, which u apparently didn't catch last time. They weren't allowed the chance to decline, which most/all artists do at some point. IF they were alive and possibly put out some albums that weren't highly regarded that'd def alter the way they're currently ranked.

SonnyBoy said:
1st - I haven't, nor do I care to rank any of them.
2nd - I agree that they're held in high regard for the reasons u mentioned. But to my point, which u apparently didn't catch last time. They weren't allowed the chance to decline, which most/all artists do at some point. IF they were alive and possibly put out some albums that weren't highly regarded that'd def alter the way they're currently ranked.
They both had a decade to decline. They didn't.

And why would they decline in the first place? They weren't like Weezy or some similar rapper, relying on gimmicks to deliver lines. They had pure, raw skill and talent. Listen to a Biggie song like I Got A Story To Tell, and step back and look at his raw story-telling ability. Listen to Pac's Ambitionz Az A Ridah again and appreciate that grit and focus. They didn't talk about bullshit. They didn't write filler rhymes that had no meaning like we see so much in present-day Hip-Hop.

So no, I can't envision their content falling off, whereas I've been tired of Jay-Z's content since Kingdom Come. It's all felt the same (subjects, angle). Perhaps Big and Pac's beats might have become dated...but I doubt it. Who wouldn't want to produce a track for Biggie or Pac? I mean really?

Music isn't like athletics. You don't become weary and outclassed by youth. If you have skill and hunger, you'll always have an audience. The challenge is whether the content can stay relevant. But none of that effects their early albums and what they meant.

It's like saying Michael Jackson isn't the Pop King because his last couple of albums were disappointing. C'mon, son.

SonnyBoy

Dreams-Visions said:
And why would they decline in the first place?

Nobody knows what would have happened. There's no right or wrong.

You seem like you're taking this discussion way too much to heart. You're replying as if I'm disrespecting the cats. LOL Damn.

SonnyBoy said:
Nobody knows what would have happened. There's no right or wrong.

You seem like you're taking this discussion way too much to heart. You're replying as if I'm disrespecting the cats. LOL Damn.
Nope, not taking it to heart at all. Just trying to understand (and subsequently disassemble and analyze, then reassemble) your argument.

If the crux of your argument is, "but they could have fallen off", then how do you respond to this statement:

"Michael Jackson is no longer the King of Pop because his last album wasn't very good and his last decade of music was not noteworthy."

I'd look at it and objectively say it's BULLSHIT because no amount of late-life shamming can remove Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad or Dangerous. It's the past work that defines the positioning, not necessarily present success.

Even if Aretha Franklin or Shaka Khan couldn't hold a note anymore but tried and failed on a new album...guess what? They're still Aretha Franklin and Shaka Khan. Their legacy is cemented in the history of their past successes and genre-defining offerings.

If Miles Davis lost his touch, we'd still have Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, Birth of Cool and Miles Ahead.

If Dr. Dre's next album fails, The Chronic and The Chronic 2000 + all the songs he's produced over 30 years cement his legacy. Big and Pac created and collaborated with others on hundreds of songs. That's all the body of work we need to understand who and what they were.

Do you see the flaw in your argument yet? If not, I'd challenge you to talk through the Rock & Roll hall of fame and look at the late-life releases of those men and women immortalized forever in those walls. You think they made perfect albums their whole career? You think their late-life works were as good as their early works? Usually not, but did it taint their placement among the greats? Not on your life.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
While I do agree Pac and Biggie should be held to a higher regard because of they're storytelling abilities and them being pretty much the peaks of the golden era, and Pac's ability to transcend the character of just a musician into something bigger, a lot of your arguments also apply to Kanye, Dream-Visions.

Kanye defined this generation, his sound changed things dramatically, the world does indeed stop when Ye puts out a record (to a lesser degree), everyone takes notice cause he's a pop star. And if Kanyes next few albums decline, he'll always be remembered as a legend for TCD, LR, Graduation, 808s and MBDTF, cause they all solid, varying and lasting impacts (insert "compare Kanyes first 5 albums to any other legends" tweet here), except maybe MBDTF cause it's still early. Kanye is consistently relevant, throughout the endless number of gaffes he's had, and he's easily one of the top 5 hungriest musicians alive, while still making relatable music for the newer generation and the middle class demographic.

All of the criteria you've put out there for what makes Pac and Biggie so memorable also applies to Ye in the past decade, almost objectively for most of the points listed above. Just sayin'.

This is exactly why earlier on I said this was a stupid discussion to have, because both Big and Pac and Ye are being judged under the same criteria in two different decades/climates of rap, with different impacts. Clearly influential artists of the past will have their impacts much more visibly resonated, not to mention in a young genre of music like hip-hop. Apples to oranges in a contest for whats the best fruit. Its a matter of taste and what you grew up liking.

enzo_gt said:
While I do agree Pac and Biggie should be held to a higher regard because of they're storytelling abilities and them being pretty much the peaks of the golden era, and Pac's ability to transcend the character of just a musician into something bigger, a lot of your arguments also apply to Kanye, Dream-Visions.

Kanye defined this generation, his sound changed things dramatically, the world does indeed stop when Ye puts out a record (to a lesser degree), everyone takes notice cause he's a pop star. And if Kanyes next few albums decline, he'll always be remembered as a legend for TCD, LR, Graduation, 808s and MBDTF, cause they all solid, varying and lasting impacts (insert "compare Kanyes first 5 albums to any other legends" tweet here), except maybe MBDTF cause it's still early. Kanye is consistently relevant, throughout the endless number of gaffes he's had, and he's easily one of the top 5 hungriest musicians alive, while still making relatable music for the newer generation and the middle class demographic.

All of the criteria you've put out there for what makes Pac and Biggie so memorable also applies to Ye in the past decade, almost objectively for most of the points listed above. Just sayin'.

This is exactly why earlier on I said this was a stupid discussion to have, because both Big and Pac and Ye are being judged under the same criteria in two different decades/climates of rap, with different impacts. Clearly influential artists of the past will have their impacts much more visibly resonated, not to mention in a young genre of music like hip-hop. Apples to oranges in a contest for whats the best fruit. Its a matter of taste and what you grew up liking.
I don't disagree at all. Which is why I said it makes sense to discuss their place and placement at the table.

In fact, I said as much in my first reply.

Ashhong

I really need to listen to some Pac. Biggie I will listen to another time..his voice kind of bugs me in the little i've head

*runs away*

wait, its the Kanye thread, I should be safe here..

Ashhong said:
I really need to listen to some Pac. Biggie I will listen to another time..his voice kind of bugs me in the little i've head

*runs away*

just grab one of the greatest hits albums. that's a good place to start.

TheOddOne

Ashhong said:

*runs away*

PM me your adress so I can personally kick you in the nuts.

Recon

Banned
Enzo? You really think Kanye is still hungry? To me, he lost it after Graduation. Graduation wasnt the best, but it had hints of CD and LR. After that, he kinda just did what was popular. I do not think any of Kanyes albums are bad, but, to me, it takes a serious dive in quality after Graduation. His production has suffered as well. I used to be so excited to hear a Kanye beat, now, i dont really care.

JumpingTheGun said:
I suggest "All Eyez On Me". Arguably the greatest rap album of the 90's and the first double disc rap album ever produced.
I agree, but a Greatest Hits will give him a more broad feel of his diversity over time rather than a snapshot of him in '97.

But yes, that was probably his best album. I'd have suggested that next.

Recon

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
I suggest "All Eyez On Me". Arguably the greatest rap album of the 90's and the first double disc rap album ever produced.

I love Pac, but i still listen to Makaveli more than i do All Eyez on Me. IMO, Makaveli is the perfect album.

Afrocentric-Asian said:
Me Against the World is the best non-posthumous pac album to start with.

With B.I.G. Ready to Die is all you need.
With BIG, you have to select some of his hundreds of guest appearances too. and remixes. Most of his works didn't appear on his own albums.

Mikasangelos said:
tumblr_lqpwp2wpOr1qa02veo1_500.gif

not that I would want it to actually happen, but all I could think after seeing this was, "I hope the guy who pushes the button for the fire doesn't do it too early..."

nns3d

Dreams-Visions said:
With BIG, you have to select some of his hundreds of guest appearances too. and remixes. Most of his works didn't appear on his own albums.

True, he has a couple of unreleased verses that are pretty nice. My favorite unreleased B.I.G. song is where he rhymes over West Coast beats. But to be honest, I haven't been a huge fan of the way that they've handled some of the tracks after his death. Some were handled great (Dead Wrong, Get Ya Grind On [even though they recycled the verses from My Downfall]), but overall a lot of it I wasn't a fan of.

Beaulieu

This album has 58 songwriters credited. This is at the opposite spectrum of what hiphop is about. Comparing this to anything by pac or biggie is the stupidest shit ever.

go listen to real hiphop you fuckheads, it still exists.

Afrocentric-Asian said:
True, he has a couple of unreleased verses that are pretty nice. My favorite unreleased B.I.G. song is where he rhymes over West Coast beats. But to be honest, I haven't been a huge fan of the way that they've handled some of the tracks after his death. Some were handled great (Dead Wrong, Get Ya Grind On [even though they recycled the verses from My Downfall]), but overall a lot of it I wasn't a fan of.
indeed.

also, some of his flows on Junior Mafia stuff is class. Player's Anthem, Get Money, the lyrics he wrote for Kim. Even his random collabo's with 112, Mary J, Shaq and Craig Mack were the shit.

And though I wasn't a big fan of Life After Death from top to bottom, there were about 7 tracks that everyone needs to have in their library. I even remember where the fuck I was when I turned on Notorious Thugs for the first time and heard BIG go hard on that fast beat.

Beaulieu said:
This album has 58 songwriters credited. This is at the opposite spectrum of what hiphop is about. Comparing this to anything by pac or biggie is the stupidest shit ever.

58! really? It all sounds so authentically Kanye and Jay, I would have never guessed. :-/

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
adversesolutions said:
“The Illest Motherfucker Alive” – An Interview with SouthSide

http://respect-mag.com/the-illest-motherfucker-alive-an-interview-with-southside/

Hey can somebody here explain this stuff to me?

I immediately recognized your drums on that beat, like the snare. How much of the record is your original beat, and what did Kanye add?

Kanye added mostly all the synths. I did the drums, the snares, the hi-hat, and the breakdowns. Basically I added the 808, the new 808, and he put his Kanye classical, musical space-synth stuff to it.

Yeah, the opera.

Yeah, the opera. You know how Kanye is. He go crazy with stuff like that. It’s like he sees a movie in his head or something

It's an interview with Southside (co-producer of Illest Motherfucka Alive). What's a snare, hi-hat, and a breakdown?

PBY

Banned
mckmas8808 said:

It's an interview with Southside (co-producer of Illest Motherfucka Alive). What's a snare, hi-hat, and a breakdown?
Snare/hi-hat are drums, and the breakdown is " a section where the composition is deliberately deconstructed to minimal elements (usually the percussion or rhythm section with the vocal re-introduced over the minimal backing), all other parts having been gradually or suddenly cut out" *From wiki

mckmas8808 said:

Cool interview. Thanks for the link. Stuff like this makes you want to fire up garageband and start making shit all day lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
SonnyBoy said:
I love Pac and Biggie but they're only regarded as such because their lives were tragically ended. The same for almost anyone who dies in that manner. When killed at the height of ur career, ur frozen right there and can't decline.

Had Pac and Biggie been given the chance to put out some crappy albums and fade into obscurity, they wouldn't be so highly regarded. That's just the truth of the matter.
Why are you trying to discredit -- or at least, diminish -- the talent that those two possessed based on a hypothetical that never happened?

You are basically arguing that we should not rank Pac or Biggie so high because they never got the chance to exhibit bad music? lolgtfo

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
peterb0y said:
Snare/hi-hat are drums, and the breakdown is " a section where the composition is deliberately deconstructed to minimal elements (usually the percussion or rhythm section with the vocal re-introduced over the minimal backing), all other parts having been gradually or suddenly cut out" *From wiki

So I guess he's saying that Kanye added the piano, the angel singing, and the guitar sound that's in the beat (sounds like do...do....do...do....do...do....do...do.doooooooooo)?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:

*runs away*

For a broad overview of Pac, which will cover pretty much every one of his big songs, IMO a good place to start to ease yourself in:

2PacGreatestHits.jpg

Better Dayz is a personal favourite too, but I'm not sure if others like it as much as I do.

After that, all of his 3 last albums before he died are essentials. Me Against The World, All Eyez on Me and the Don Killuminati.

ReconYoda said:
Enzo? You really think Kanye is still hungry? To me, he lost it after Graduation. Graduation wasnt the best, but it had hints of CD and LR. After that, he kinda just did what was popular. I do not think any of Kanyes albums are bad, but, to me, it takes a serious dive in quality after Graduation. His production has suffered as well. I used to be so excited to hear a Kanye beat, now, i dont really care.
Your talking quality, I'm talking hunger. Kanye has an everlasting hunger to go bigger, go into bolder directions, experiment, try new sounds, try to get better as a rapper because he knows it's his weakness (MBDTF is the peak of his lyrical ability thus far).

If we are talking hunger, I think Late Registration was the point where Ye had the least hunger. He was trying to hone that specific TCD sound, make a CD part II. Although 808s could be considered him doing what's popular at the time, it really wasn't, 808s was unlike anything else out there because he tried to use autotune for something other than party jams. Other than that I can't see what else he's done that classifies as just going with whatever is pop at the moment.

Off the top of my head I can't think of many other hungry MCs out there, especially vets that still have the hunger, it's all the new kids. Drake for sure. Probably Curren$y, but I'm more convinced he's just trying to release a ton of music rather than trying to improve himself at the moment. Kendrick, and maybe Cole.

Beaulieu said:

Hey there. Since you have absolutely no idea what your talking about, why don't you go eat a dick and leave this thread if you don't have anything to contribute?

Hip-Hop is all about collaboration. Collaborative efforts that include shit like getting second opinions on lines produce better albums. Go listen to 2001 and you'll know what I mean, unless your ready to tell me 2001 isn't hip hop. Ye is notorious for crediting lots of people for their input. Shit didn't he even credit Drake for AOTL even though his verse didn't make the final version? (EDIT: I just checked, yes he did, and I don't believe his vocals made it in either) I love musical orchestrators like Dre or Kanye, because they're not afraid to bring in others to refine the music your listening to so it's polished for the listener, because they don't give a fuck about what it says in an insert. I wish more artists did this.

mckmas8808 said:
So I guess he's saying that Kanye added the piano, the angel singing, and the guitar sound that's in the beat (sounds like do...do....do...do....do...do....do...do.doooooooooo)?
And all of the synths you hear throughout the song. Some of the electronicy sounding bits in the back.

kodecraft

ReconYoda said:
I love Pac, but i still listen to Makaveli more than i do All Eyez on Me. IMO, Makaveli is the perfect album.

Makaveli was dark to me....i guess since it came out when the unfortunate happened. Also I wonder were would 2Pac go after the Makaveli album?

He was stating some real personal issues on that album and calling dangerous crime mobs out in it....like he had a death wish....thats Pac for you though....I guess we're fans of him because he confronts alot of his issues face to face and 9/10 has good points as to why....instead of being passive about it.

i always wonder what a NEW ORIGINAL 2Pac album would sound like....not the cut and paste lyrics over new beats stuff we get today.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
For a broad overview of Pac, which will cover pretty much every one of his big songs, IMO a good place to start to ease yourself in:

2PacGreatestHits.jpg

Better Dayz is a personal favourite too, but I'm not sure if others like it as much as I do.

After that, all of his 3 last albums before he died are essentials. Me Against The World, All Eyez on Me and the Don Killuminati.

Your talking quality, I'm talking hunger. Kanye has an everlasting hunger to go bigger, go into bolder directions, experiment, try new sounds, try to get better as a rapper because he knows it's his weakness (MBDTF is the peak of his lyrical ability thus far).

See, i see it the opposite. I see the hunger and emotion behind the songs in CD and LR. I hear nothing like that in MBDTF. Even if he really was emotional during those sessions, it felt forced and fake. I dont think he has any hunger left.

reilo said:
The mark of a great artist, in my opinion, is also knowing your limitations. I don't think Kanye knows his own limitations. But I can also see what you mean by saying that having no bounds like that can then produce some amazing gems. I don't think those parts in Who Gon Stop Me Now qualify.

Well to be honest I don't even think there's one good line in Who Gon Stop Me. Album was very tightly produced but I can't listen to it again. You can tell they didn't give a shit when they were writing the tracks, it's just throwaway lines.

I was expecting So Appalled the album :(

nns3d

kodecraft said:
Makaveli was dark to me....i guess since it came out when the unfortunate happened. Also I wonder were would 2Pac go after the Makaveli album?

He was stating some real personal issues on that album and calling dangerous crime mobs out in it....like he had a death wish....thats Pac for you though....I guess we're fans of him because he confronts alot of his issues face to face and 9/10 has good points as to why....instead of being passive about it.

i always wonder what a NEW ORIGINAL 2Pac album would sound like....not the cut and paste lyrics over new beats stuff we get today.

He was supposed to do an album with Bootcamp Clik called 1 Nation to show that the East Coast/West Coast thing wasn't about coasts, it was just personal business. I think the songs were all recorded, but they weren't finalized. Of course they were eventually remixed/released on future releases. As far as actual projects went, I think pac wanted to make another album in the same vein as MAtW after doing Makaveli, though the last songs that he recorded are more 'Makaveli-like' in terms of production and lyricism.

The posthumous albums aren't all bad, though "R U Still Down?" is the closest that they've gotten to an actual 'original' release. A lot of the songs in that album are remastered versions of their bootlegs, give or take the removal of a sample, etc. I think only 3 songs were actually remixed. Tupac's posthumous career was pretty good until they allowed Eminem to do Loyal to the Game, which was a turd. Pac's Life was also pretty bad, but because it was such a poorly put together album.

Personally, my favorite posthumous album was Better Dayz. A lot of good remixes on that album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
See, i see it the opposite. I see the hunger and emotion behind the songs in CD and LR. I hear nothing like that in MBDTF. Even if he really was emotional during those sessions, it felt forced and fake. I dont think he has any hunger left.
Gonna have to agree to disagree here on all points. I thought MBDTF was his most inspired album, close with 808s. The album and subject matter was a complete reflection on the last year and a half of Kanye's life put to music. But if you never really considered that or cared for it, then I can see how you wouldn't see the drive behind it all. Segue here back into love/hate argument over the content of MBDTF all over again.

adversesolutions said:
Seriously, how can you not bump your head to this song.

That shit
broken_crayon.jpg

dcdobson

Afrocentric-Asian said:
With B.I.G. Ready to Die is all you need.
Boooo

All of the following songs are on Life After Death:
Somebody's Gotta Die
Kick in the Door
What's Beef?
Hypnotize
Niggas Bleed
Notorious Thugs
Ten Crack Commandments
Sky's the Limit
My Downfall
Long Kiss Goodnight

nns3d

dcdobson said:
Boooo

Somebody's Gotta Die
Kick in the Door
What's Beef?
Hypnotize
Niggas Bleed
Notorious Thugs
Ten Crack Commandments
Sky's the Limit
My Downfall
Long Kiss Goodnight

Life After Death is too long for my taste. The songs above are great (I liked Miss U too), but if I were to choose going through Ready to Die or Life After Death, I'm choosin' Ready to Die.

dcdobson said:
Boooo

Somebody's Gotta Die
Kick in the Door
What's Beef?
Hypnotize
Niggas Bleed
Notorious Thugs
Ten Crack Commandments
Sky's the Limit
My Downfall
Long Kiss Goodnight
word.

Afrocentric-Asian said:
Life After Death is too long for my taste. The songs above are great (I liked Miss U too), but if I were to choose going through Ready to Die or Life After Death, I'm choosin' Ready to Die.

I can easily put Ready to Die in my top 5 albums of all time, only behind Illmatic.

dcdobson said:
Boooo

Somebody's Gotta Die
Kick in the Door
What's Beef?
Hypnotize
Niggas Bleed
Notorious Thugs
Ten Crack Commandments
Sky's the Limit
My Downfall
Long Kiss Goodnight

3346f60.gif

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Bone and Biggie Biggie
We gonna rock the partyyyyyyy
Just Bone and Biggie Biggie

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Yea, they may be working on their next albums, but they'll finish and trash like two more records before they eventually release one.

overcast

Seriously, if one of you guys is looking into Biggie/Tupac check out Ready to Die. I think it is easily better than all eyez on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom