• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Ashhong said:
Wait you watched the Runaway video at least right? Damn, would have liked to know what you thought of it after hearing absolutely nothing.

Lost in the World is currently at #1 for me. Amazing track, so much emotion.
Just got the album and I totally agree with this post.

Plus, his use of Bon Iver in there is totally incredible.

Ashhong

Yea I dont get it either. It seems like he shipped the album with the crown/sword picture, and then later changed the future copies to have this priest one instead

Talon

whytemyke said:
Just got the album and I totally agree with this post.

Plus, his use of Bon Iver in there is totally incredible.
I wish Lost In The World was about 2 minutes longer and Runaway was shorter.

Bowser

Ashhong said:
Yea I dont get it either. It seems like he shipped the album with the crown/sword picture, and then later changed the future copies to have this priest one instead

OMG SO WE HAVE RARE FIRST EDITION MBDTF COPIES??

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
soul creator said:
so if anyone's bored, feel free to listen to the instrumental, and then start filling in lyrics and labeling them with your name or something :lol

I suppose if this actually takes off we can pass around the mp3 and record verses later. I started things off though!

saved a separate copy privately in case someone goes nuts and starts deleting things
If this happens :lol :lol :lol

Also, the head-less sword cover is MUCH more awesome than it appeared in those shitty pics online. I may even use it over sword-in-head Ye.

Swag

Talon- said:
More specifically, I want more of that refrain after the 2nd verse.

Seriously, I find myself rewinding to just before that part to hear that refrain.

Best part of the song hands down

Oozer3993

Dreams-Visions said:
brahs, my CD came with the headless crown + sword as the 5th album art...but is this actually it?

20101119priest560x5601e.jpg

http://www.soulculture.co.uk/blogs/...sted-fantasy-5th-album-cover-unveiled-priest/

I'm a bit confused.

That's the official 5th cover. Apparently George Condo was taking to long painting it, so the headless crown and sword was included with the physical copies instead. That priest cover is included as the 5th cover instead of the headless crown & sword in the iTunes digital booklet though.

P.S. I call Jay-Z's part :p

HiResDes said:
At SC shouldn't we all have the same number of bars?

I left it somewhat open ended for now...figured some people may not necessarily want to do a full 16 bar verse or whatever. I added the bar counts there to see where the beat repeats. I just did 16 for mines since that's what I'm used to.

I suppose we'll see how this progresses...I haven't exactly done this type of collaboration before. Maybe I'll need to enforce some rules like Kanye, lol

Though I suppose if someone wants to "reserve" part, go ahead and add your name in the doc to the number of bars you want to do. Or whatever

Oozer3993 said:
That's the official 5th cover. Apparently George Condo was taking to long painting it, so the headless crown and sword was included with the physical copies instead. That priest cover is included as the 5th cover instead of the headless crown & sword in the iTunes digital booklet though.

P.S. I call Jay-Z's part :p
ah okay.

and does it appear as a small square in the middle of the big red square like all the other covers? just want to know so that I know how to modify the art for my itunes collection.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
I just put my work in progress up, I'm still debating about which bars to cut to make it 16, right now it's 20.
How did I know Vox-Pop was going to get referenced :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I demand even MOAR GAF references. Someone has to reference the creepy thread/Justice League/Planes/NPDs and all that and more.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Top is Monster (GOOD friday release), bottom is Monster (final cut)
1Z7e7.png

That's a damn shame...I knew something was off all day while having the album on repeat (thanks to SA for the chart).

wenis said:
Top is Monster (GOOD friday release), bottom is Monster (final cut)
http://i.imgur.com/1Z7e7.png[/IG]

That's a damn shame...I knew something was off all day while having the album on repeat (thanks to SA for the chart).[/QUOTE]
track too loud? that's odd, but there's nothing wrong with your copy. mine looks exactly the same (CD rip)

also,

[B]4:26[/B] in [I]So Appalled[/I]. mastering error? it sounds like it clips.

[B]0:54 [/B]- [I]Lost in the World[/I]. another mastering problem? sound seems to stutter or otherwise do something really weird here.

wenis

extremely loud. You need those low parts to boost the loud and vice versa. This shit is mastered like a britney spears album :lol

wenis said:
extremely loud. You need those low parts to boost the loud and vice versa. This shit is mastered like a britney spears album :lol
wow, yea I'm going through them now looking at my lossless rips...several of them are mastered like this.

edit: no, actually all but Gorgeous have this issue.

hmph. MBDTF Remastered coming early 2011? :lol

wenis

Sorry, shit gets to me when it comes to sound :lol

Sennheiser are usually a trustworthy brand and just looking at reviews it seems those are a great budget priced set of cans.

Ashhong

wenis said:

Sennheiser are usually a trustworthy brand and just looking at reviews it seems those are a great budget priced set of cans.

Oh well. I usually turn my shit up so loud that I dont think that loudness thing will really affect me. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

I've been wanting a pair of over-the-ear headphones for when I'm not using iPhone headphones, and these seem pretty good. I wanted Dr. Dre Beats but yea...for the price I guess I'll jsut pick up one of these

wenis said:
as it should. the only track that really bothers me with regard to loudness is All of the Lights. but that's because I can tell it was recorded too loud. when all the sounds are blaring at the same time and Rihanna sings "all of the lights, all of the liiights..." you can just hear it falling apart.

I've no idea why they did this...but I'll hope for a remaster one day. Glad it wasn't my imagination.

wenis said:
i agree.

also, does anyone hear the flaws in those 2 songs, or is that my imagination?

wenis

Well by turning it up loud you're actually degrading the sound even further. There's a "sweet spot" so to speak for albums mastered this way, but I haven't found it. I usually tinker with the EQ for a bit and set custom ones for each track (which I'll have to do with this album it seems, at least until a vinyl release which I hope has a better mastering job than this cd release).

All of the Lights has definitely had this issue for awhile.

this is the guy who mastered the album:

Vlado Meller

and this is a hate thread on the HomeTheater forums :lol

He has commited crimes worse than genocide!
oops wrong quote.

wenis said:
and set custom ones for each track (which I'll have to do with this album it seems.
never even thought of this.

oh and the songs don't have to be loud for me to hear the problems at certain points in All of the Lights. it's very evident in that song and always has been to my ears.

soul creator said:
so if anyone's bored, feel free to listen to the instrumental, and then start filling in lyrics and labeling them with your name or something :lol

I suppose if this actually takes off we can pass around the mp3 and record verses later. I started things off though!

saved a separate copy privately in case someone goes nuts and starts deleting things
....Hot damn. This is actually happening? :lol Okay. I'll start writing. So far, who's involved?

spindashing said:
....Hot damn. This is actually happening? :lol Okay. I'll start writing. So far, who's involved?

me and HiResDes already added lyrics
blame space says he wants to do some hooks
Oozer3993 wants in as well
enzo?

runlikehell, you can probably find somewhere to write. There's like 112 bars currently leftover, and I figure it doesn't have to correspond exactly 1:1 with the original song as far as number of people. The only "rule" so far is if someone has started writing for a certain position, let them have that spot in the song.

Talon

RJT said:
"Get By" needs to be higher. That beat is amazing, especially after hearing the song it samples.

And "Stronger" need to be lower. Great song, but it wasn't Kanye's most inspired beat.
Co-signed.

Swag

Dreams-Visions said:
4:26 in So Appalled. mastering error? it sounds like it clips.

0:54 - Lost in the World. another mastering problem? sound seems to stutter or otherwise do something really weird here.

Lost in the World is just like that, been that way since the first leak.

Didn't notice anything in So Appalled.

PBY

Banned
I'm usually very low on the Audiophile meter, but I do notice some weird stuff with the sound quality on this album- When I blast it in my car, a lot of the bass sounds muddled and sometimes it sounds like theres some clipping

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I think the Bass is a little thick on Lost in the World on speakers. It's kind of a hard track to pin down, it has a hard time fitting between "stadium blow out" or "headphone ecstasy". Everything else sounds appropriately sick though, and I like the louder Monster and seemingly thicker bass on Power.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
soul creator said:
enzo?

runlikehell, you can probably find somewhere to write. There's like 112 bars currently leftover, and I figure it doesn't have to correspond exactly 1:1 with the original song as far as number of people. The only "rule" so far is if someone has started writing for a certain position, let them have that spot in the song.
I can't write rhymes so, I'll just be observing from afar :lol

Sebulon3k said:
Lost in the World is just like that, been that way since the first leak.

Didn't notice anything in So Appalled.
Yeah, pretty much this. I notice nothing. Hey even All of the Lights' distortion is gone during Rihanna's parts, I'm so glad :D

Recon

Banned
soul creator said:
enzo?

Hey, let me get in on this, and what beat is it?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
After looking at the list of best Kanye beats, I'm glad they put in Common's The People and Dilated People's This Way and Get By. Those songs get slept on.

I don't agree with their top 3 though. I mean Power and Diamonds are up there, but I don't know about calling those #3 and #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom