• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

genjiZERO

enzo_gt said:
The certain je ne sais quoi can be put into words every single time, it's just really hard to sometimes. When you put it into words, it's usually much more arguable though, that's why people get up in arms in this thread so often :lol

Yeah, no I understand completely. I'd just like for someone to try. Don't get me wrong Kanye West is one of the best producers of the last decade. It's just a lot - and I mean almost everyone I know - loves his music. If they love it because it's fun or danceable or whatever fine (that doesn't need an explanation), but if it's because of same grand artistic gesture I'd like it broken down a little bit so I can figure it out.

Oozer3993

Kanye will be performing Lost in the World during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on Thursday and will be riding on the Big Apple float. I'm a little disappointed he won't be doing All of the Lights, but Lost in the World is a more than adequate replacement.

Here's a pic of the vinyl set, from Amazon:

w7tY3.png

P.S. I just popped in the Runaway DVD from my deluxe edition, and it's the clean version. But the album is the explicit. Is it supposed to be that way?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Dreams-Visions said:
sirs!

I demand you all go back and listen again while following along here:

http://rapgenius.com/lyrics/Kanye-w...i-pusha-t-the-rza-and-swizz-beats/So-appalled

pausing as frequently as you must.

then come back with the appropriate 5/5 score. :D
I think my hearing fucked up some of these lyrics before I had this sheet. here's what I heard:

Dark Knight villain, diarrhea hero
Or live long enough to see yourself become a villain

More victories is for minor league coaches

Couldn't understand what the fuck Jay-Z was talking about here.:lol :lol

Ashhong

Oozer3993 said:
Kanye will be performing Lost in the World during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on Thursday and will be riding on the Big Apple float. I'm a little disappointed he won't be doing All of the Lights, but Lost in the World is a more than adequate replacement.

Here's a pic of the vinyl set, from Amazon:

w7tY3.png

P.S. I just popped in the Runaway DVD from my deluxe edition, and it's the clean version. But the album is the explicit. Is it supposed to be that way?

Holy shit. I am not a vinyl collector by any means, but I may just buy this. And yea, the movie is supposed to be like that. Some odd choices made on this album regarding censorship..

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I think my hearing fucked up some of these lyrics before I had this sheet. here's what I heard:

Couldn't understand what the fuck Jay-Z was talking about here.:lol :lol

I assume the song just got like 5x better for you then?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Bowser said:
You have GOT to be kidding me :lol
Seriously man, I couldn't understand this for the life of me! I tried to rationalize that shit by it being like "Diary a hero", but fuck, neither of them made sense.:lol :lol

Listened to the new album today for the first time, two or three times. Love it. Definitely his best since his first album. Not sure if it'll take the crown for my favorite Kanye album yet or not but I definitely like what I hear.

Ashhong

So uh, I don't plan on rapping but thought I would try making some lyrics. My first time EVER writing lyrics so don't judge :lol

1 Who could have foreseen this?
2 I’m just a nigga with a neogaf account, kid
3 I’m just a lurker who likes to post about yeezy
4 Someone who thinks hes doper than he is, weezy
5 I troll more than a pedophile, spindashing
6 Never caring bout what I’m saying
7 or who I make cry in the Community thread
8 by saying I wouldn’t ever let Annie or Britta give me head
9 Naw, but I’m just playin with these fools
10 Trying to get a rise like a teacher in school

How bad is it?

Swag

Ashhong said:
So uh, I don't plan on rapping but thought I would try making some lyrics. My first time EVER writing lyrics so don't judge :lol

1 Who could have foreseen this?
2 I’m just a nigga with a neogaf account, kid
3 I’m just a lurker who likes to post about yeezy
4 Someone who thinks hes doper than he is, weezy
5 I troll more than a pedophile, spindashing
6 Never caring bout what I’m saying
7 or who I make cry in the Community thread
8 by saying I wouldn’t ever let Annie or Britta give me head
9 Naw, but I’m just playin with these fools
10 Trying to get a rise like a teacher in school

How bad is it?

Putting emphasis on the last words in every line makes it sound like a Nicki Minaj Rap

Messi

I am really loving 'Dark Fantasy' Well to be honest the first 5 songs on the album have been great. Its all ive gotten to listen to.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Loving this, picked it up at the robbery price on Amazon, felt like I stole the damn thing. :lol

I loved 8 tracks
Thought 2 were ok (so appaled, blame game)
And didn't like 3 (hell of a life, lost in the world, and who will survive)

One of my favorites this year for sure.

Ashhong

VanMardigan said:
Loving this, picked it up at the robbery price on Amazon, felt like I stole the damn thing. :lol

I loved 8 tracks

What in the hell.

WHAT

honestly So Appalled had to kind of grow on me. When I first heard it (when it was a Good Friday release way back when), it was just "meh, standard shit-talk record". It wasn't bad or anything, but it didn't really stick out.

Now, as you might expect, I'm digging it a lot more :lol

Tokubetsu

Gave it my high listen/run through. I was so blazed, I completely thought three different people were talking/rapping on blame game where he pans his voice :lol

Swag

VanMardigan said:

I loved 8 tracks

This is like the complete inverse of nearly everyone in this thread :lol

Get'sMad

Tokubetsu said:
Gave it my high listen/run through. I was so blazed, I completely thought three different people were talking/rapping on blame game where he pans his voice :lol

gonna do this later tonight...my good friend is bringing me over some grade A stuff in a little bit.

LCfiner

I also want to chime in and give props to the bonus track “See Me Now”. it’s fun and light and "bouncy” and I think Big Sean is great at the end. it’s a surprisingly great bonus track for the deluxe version.

Go319

ok so i gave in and have spun this album a few times now...the music is great & interesting, sometimes catchy.

i really need to get past the fact he cannot hold a note or sing at all...but i guess its not that kind of act...

still not a fan.

Oozer3993

salva said:
Just bought the album from Amazon (using the $3 credit). Wow, "Runaway" is amazing. Most impressive song so far.

You're head's gonna explode at Lost in the World.

I've got good news and bad (possibly horrific news). First the good news: On Twitter Q-Tip is claiming, echoing rumors from the past week, that there will be another version of the album released next month, and it will include Chain Heavy and Mama's Boyfriend. Now the bad news:

QtipTheAbstract said:
there are 2 versions of mama's boyfriend. one that soulja boy did and 1 i did. i dont know which will be on the nxt pressing

Oh God no.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
toasty_T said:
To quote Jay-Z "Fuck you Kanye first and foremost for making me do this shit, muhfucka"
fixed. and this.

Oh well. Mama's boyfriend is only one track. And I like my Chain Heavy the way it is, I don't think another one or one with M.I.A. is worth an extra purchase.

Bowser said:
Another version of the album? Are you shitting me?
only version I want is the remastered version with more reasonable loudness built in. It seems like the All of The Lights intro is the only track really mastered well (in terms of loudness).

I haven't fully absorbed it yet (usually requires 2-3 listens), but it's a REALLY interesting album. Definitely is ambitious. Amazon mp3 price is RIDICULOUS; no excuse not to get it even if you're lukewarm on the guy.

DBebm5 said:
I haven't fully absorbed it yet (usually requires 2-3 listens), but it's a REALLY interesting album. Definitely is ambitious. Amazon mp3 price is RIDICULOUS; no excuse not to get it even if you're lukewarm on the guy.
be sure to read along at with the lyrics at rapgenius.com.

it really helps.

Dreams-Visions said:
be sure to read along at with the lyrics at rapgenius.com.

it really helps.

Thanks for the suggestion--I'm really liking what lyrics I recognize so far. I'm glad he's kept the cleverness and self-deprecation of his lyrics while making the songs more structurally sophisticated--keeps it from tipping into self-indulgence.

DBebm5 said:
Thanks for the suggestion--I'm really liking what lyrics I recognize so far. I'm glad he's kept the cleverness and self-deprecation of his lyrics while making the songs more structurally sophisticated--keeps it from tipping into self-indulgence.
indeed. you'll find that rapgenius is unique in that they offer not just the lyrics themselves, but the meaning behind them. sometimes, you'll get a Kenau Reeves "woah" moment.

njean777

well after about 5 listens so far, this album is def. my second for AOTY. Bring Me The Horizon is #1 but this is #2 great album and great comeback.

Def Jukie

Damn that vinyl looks hot! I'm picking that up for sure. To me this is Kanye's best album to date. It's got it's flaws but the production is "fucking ridiculous".

PBY

Banned
glad i went with the amazon deal instead of a physical CD, b/c Im totally getting the vinyl. shit looks hot

So do you think Kanye was just like "yeah, when you remaster this make it sound like fucking garbage." Or was it out of his hands?

The thought that so much work went into this, but it was ruined by some dude with no talent at the end is upsetting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom