• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Sebulon3k said:
I'm glad that people have realised that Lost in the World > All of the Lights.

Sorry Ashhong!
no. but i can agree that both songs are really good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sebulon3k said:

Sorry Ashhong!
Yeah no.

Lost in the World is growing on me day by day though. Still a fantastic piece outright. I just wish the percentage of Intro/Outro verus percentage of verses was smaller.

yencid

spindashing said:
Don't get me wrong, Lost in the World is very beautiful.

But All of the Lights...

It's like...

It's like...

Damn.
again
i52p9y.jpg
:lol

Brinbe

Honestly, that's the best part of all of these releases, you grow to appreciate and enjoy them all at varying rates. Some days, Christian Dior Denim Flow will do it for me, or GOOD Friday, or Devil in a New Dress, or LITW, and on and on... It really reminds me of how I felt with the College Dropout Advance back in 03/04, just so much music goodness. :D

RJT

Man, I'm really loving the music on the Runway movie. Except Lost in The World (way too long). Runway, All of the Lights, the Power remix on a sampler, and especially Dark Fantasy, all awesome. Kanye is back...

This still won't touch Late Registration or College Dropout, though...

yencid

RJT said:
Man, I'm really loving the music on the Runway movie. Except Lost in The World (way too long). Runway, All of the Lights, the Power remix on a sampler, and especially Dark Fantasy, all awesome. Kanye is back...

Lost in the world is def the track that GREW on me. I didnt like it at first but now i love it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RJT said:

TCD > LR > MBDTF > Graduation > 808s

I feel like this atm, since we pretty much have listened to 3/4 of the album it seems.

enzo_gt said:

I feel like this atm, since we pretty much have listened to 3/4 of the album it seems.
for me personally,

TCD > Graduation > LR > MBDTF* > 808s

*so far.

LR didn't have a lot of real staying power for me.

RJT

enzo_gt said:

Pretty much this. I'm disapointed by the inclusion of Monster and So Appaled in the album. As much as I love the tracks, they don't feel the same as the rest of the album. LR and TCD felt much more organic. Can't wait to listen to the whole album though...

Brinbe

I think I'd go CD (obviously)>MBDTF (I adore it that much already)>Grad (Really liked it, perhaps more than most)>LR (definitely great, but never truly stuck with me, aside from touch the sky/we major/crack music)>808 (may be last, but still has really grown on me in the last few years)

Swag

spindashing said:
Don't get me wrong, Lost in the World is very beautiful.

But All of the Lights...

It's like...

It's like...

Damn.

:(

It's probably because I resonate with the lyrics in LITW more then AOTL

Ashhong

Sebulon3k said:

Sorry Ashhong!

Hard to judge since we dont have the final version of AOTL. All we have is a verse and a chorus, while I am assuming thats the close to final version of Lost in the World.

enzo_gt said:

This is the correct answer. :D

Although LR > TCD would perhaps be also acceptable

Swag

RJT said:

:lol

I swear every page someone brings up this discussion

I'm still waiting for Good Ass Job, to tell you guys the truth. I want Dropout Bear's story to continue, damn it! I won't stop believing...

=(

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
spindashing said:
I'm still waiting for Good Ass Job, to tell you guys the truth. I want Dropout Bear's story to continue, damn it! I won't stop believing...

=(
yea i would have shit so many bricks if runaway was done with the dropout bear as the main story line. but i can't even imagine how that would be done. damn i miss that bear

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I don't get the love "All the lights" is good and all but nothing compared to "Lost in the world"

*shrug*

BenjaminBirdie said:
For sure. Too long? It should last 47 fucking minutes.
:lol :lol :lol Lost in the World was used perfectly in the movie, though. I remember hearing it was great but didn't listen to the leaks. Good job Kanye, you have a monster in your hands...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Hard for me to pick up between TCD and LR, both are timeless classics. after those 2, graduation then 808s for me.

Ashhong

I dont associate 808s with the rest because its so drastically different. If I'm in the mood for some CD, then 808s isnt even going to cross my mind.

Sebulon3k said:
I swear, every page :lol :lol

I duno what youre talking about. I dont remember any comparison talk previously :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
I dont associate 808s with the rest because its so drastically different. If I'm in the mood for some CD, then 808s isnt even going to cross my mind.

I duno what youre talking about. I dont remember any comparison talk previously :lol
Yeah I don't see this talk on every page :lol

But I seriously get in the mood for 808s, but its a really, really different mood compared to when I want to listen to Kanye West in general.

Himuro said:
Late Registration > College Dropout = 808s and Heartbreak >>>>>>>> Graduation

Seriously, I really, really want to hear your opinion on why this is. I understand the Graduation hate though, even though I loved it. It's very.. different you could say, and sounds more like a greatest hits album than a package.

enzo_gt said:
Seriously, I really, really want to hear your opinion on why this is. I understand the Graduation hate though, even though I loved it. It's very.. different you could say, and sounds more like a greatest hits album than a package.
I can listen to 1-9 on Graduation and be satisfied as hell. fuck the hate. I can't think of many albums where the fist 9 tracks are all hits.

Himuro said:
In a universe that has good taste in music.
damn. he pulled out the "taste" card.

*bails out*

I'm with Ashhong, and I most likely said this in here before: I don't rank 808s with the rest of Kanye's stuff.

LR is my favorite album. Introduced me to Lupe. Heard 'Em Say. Roses. Etc etc.

College Dropout is second, if not equal. It's just...damn. :lol

Graduation is third, but it does its thing too.

Where will My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy go? We'll see...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Himuro said:
This is why 808's is on par with College Dropout. It's a rap album that doesn't feel like a rap album.

Notice how every single fucking time a hip hop album comes out that breaks the doors open to the point where people question whether it's hip hop or not, people freak. Did the same damn thing with Mos' No Danger and DJ Shadow's ENDtroducing; to summarize, the bulk of hip hop fans have close-minded taste in music.

808s is on another level.
And yet the prime example of the most influential rap album of the past 10 years? The College Dropout. As the Kanye collective, we appreciate 808s for what it is, but its not so easy to forget the generational impact The College Dropout had, and the level of cohesiveness it had as well, especially when compared to The College Dropout.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
To be honest, I don't even listen to College dropout really much at all any more. Too many skits, a couple songs I never liked to begin with and I'm left with a handful of good to great tracks. I think Late Registration is still objectively the best, Graduation is the most listenable though, despite lazier lyrics. 808s was over produced in spots, but still pretty decent overall. I still feel like there is a remix for every track on that record that was better than the original, though.

This record though? I've listened to most of it (apparently) and I can't get enough of it and this has been going on for two months now. So stoked for the complete package. This is the all killer record I've been waiting for from him.

Ashhong

not feeling that power extended mix. Kanye needs to come on during the strings or before. it just feels tacked on, which it obviously is. hope Ye did a proper mix with that intro

Beezy

Himuro said:
Yes, it has. What impact did College Dropout have on the industry? Almost none. If it had impact, there would have been a wealth of rappers making albums about just as non-conventional hip hop subjects akin to College Dropout. They didn't.

However in a post-808's rap industry, it is now feasible for someone like Drake to make a record and still be successful without being called a pussy, cater to both male and female audiences. In a post-808's rap industry, it is now en vogue to not exactly have conventional hip hop soul loop beats and be more introspective about and emotional. A few years ago, something like Kid Cudi would have been considered pussy ass shit. This dude raps about dark, grim realities of loneliness, which -- outside of 2pac -- really has never taken off a major hip hop song theme. Yet after 808's, it seems such hip hop is actually okay.

I would argue that 808's is as influential as College Dropout if not more no matter what fans feelings on 808s is.
I seriously doubt that any of that was due to 808s and heartbreak.

Ashhong said:
not feeling that power extended mix. Kanye needs to come on during the strings or before. it just feels tacked on, which it obviously is. hope Ye did a proper mix with that intro
gauranteed he didn't...

Himuro said:
Yes, it has. What impact did College Dropout have on the industry? Almost none. If it had impact, there would have been a wealth of rappers making albums about just as non-conventional hip hop subjects akin to College Dropout. They didn't.

However in a post-808's rap industry, it is now feasible for someone like Drake to make a record and still be successful without being called a pussy, cater to both male and female audiences. In a post-808's rap industry, it is now en vogue to not exactly have conventional hip hop soul loop beats and be more introspective about and emotional. A few years ago, something like Kid Cudi would have been considered pussy ass shit. This dude raps about dark, grim realities of loneliness, which -- outside of 2pac -- really has never taken off a major hip hop song theme. Yet after 808's, it seems such hip hop is actually okay.

I would argue that 808's is as influential as College Dropout if not more no matter what fans feelings on 808s is.

College Dropout was far more influential than 808 because it set the stage for 808. Kanye had already made the soul loop/sped up sample style (which RZA famously introduced beforehand of course) the dominating sound of hip hop with The Blueprint. With College Dropout, Kanye perfected that style. And that's just on the production front.

The biggest impact of CR was in image and lyrics. CR mainstreamed the backpacker, underground style of hip hop, took hyper masculinity out of the equation of black rappers, and brought personal, introspective lyricism to the mainstream in ways we hadn't seen from a black rapper since Tupac.

That album opened the door for Lupe, Rhymefest, Kid Cudi, Wale, Drake, and every other "hipster" rapper we see today; it also revived Common, Mos Def, and Talib Kweli's careers. That album changed the entire direction of mainstream hip hop, to the point where today you don't have to be a former drug seller/pimp/etc to have big records.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Himuro said:
I"m not arguing quality. But I'd be dead pressed to name Kanye West imitators after College Dropout sans Lupe. College Dropout spoke to a specific subset of people and revitalized a certain element in mainstream hip hop, that much is true.

But I'd also argue that 808's has helped pave the way for the B.o.B's and Drake's and Kid Cudi's.
See now your at least being specific. Your arguing that Kanye's more down to earth and relate-able for both females and male's rhymes stem from 808s and not the persona he built up beginning from TCD and into LR? Are you trying to say Spaceship and Heard Em Say did not evoke the same honesty and relate-ability that Kanye could only do with Heartless?

I fail at immediately correlating Drake's and CuDi's to the last Kanye West album at the time, 808s, rather than what he started with TCD and built upon. The generalization that somehow 808s was more introspective than TCD concerns me, probably because I, personally, view songs like Spaceship, Family Business, Heard Em Say to be the beginning of mainstream rap showing some consciousness. I don't believe that just because 808s dealt with relationships it was more influential on the industry because it may have broadened the audience a bit more to females. Versus, plenty of females already being down with Mr. West and his sound/style beginning with TCD being the major factor in bringing rise to the Drake's of today.

EDIT: Like PD said above, 808s was just another evolutionary stage in the Kanye style, and you can't immediately credit changes in hip hop with the most recent album he put out. The hipster boom comes with Kanye's image, which pretty much started showing with a bit of LR, but mainly after the shutter shades were brought out during Graduation.

PG2G

If anything, I'd say early Kanye paved the way for the black middle class and that's why we have the music we have today. 808's hasn't had any impact at all as far as I'm concerned.

all my opinion of course on Kanye's albums and what the represent.

Graduation - Most commercially successful album

Late registration - His most musically creative and possibly best album MUSICALLY speaking. His collaboration with Jon Brion had some to do with that

808s - Most creative/different album overall. Probably my favorite because of this.

College dropout - His Best straight Hiphop album.

With that said...I have a feeling BDTF will be the best hiphop album and take college dropout's throne. The beats are amazing. the lyrics are better than on the college dropout. So appalled in itself is one of the best hiphop songs I have heard in years. Like, If I had to go to an island forever and I could only take 3 songs with me, 1 of them would be So Appalled. Rza and Kanye should just do a whole album of beats and get the best lyricists to rhyme over them.

just my opinion of course.

Ashhong

dustytruly said:
gauranteed he didn't...

i wouldnt be so sure. he recently tweeted how he added a ton of musical flourishes to his tracks. wouldnt be surprised to hear this from the album cut of Power

Himuro said:
Did it really revive Talib Kweli, Common and Mos' careers?

I wouldn't exactly say CR itself mainstreamed the backpacker. It definitely played a role though.

How did it not mainstream backpackers? That was Kanye's entire get up at the time. Shortly afterward Jay-Z donned the look, Lil Wayne donned it, etc. That album and later LR even changed hip hop fashion in the mainstream.

Of course it revived Common's career because it led to Be. That period of time also saw Kweli bag his biggest hit, Get By. And Mos gained more mainstream popularity for a time, and later began experimenting - his later work had quite an influence on 808.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Himuro said:
I'm not saying that. Slow Jamz for instance did a great job on this front.

But it's a totally different thing. I certainly don't recall females bumping Kanye because of fucking Spaceship.
Its this correlation between the fact that females bumping Kanye more because of tracks like Heartless being more introspective, and that being the reason the new school of rappers exist that doesn't seem to jive with me. You make it sound as if Kanye made rap accessible to a wider audience only after 808s dropped, and his previous albums deserve no credit for opening up the genre quite a bit in the first place.

Sure it may have helped open up doors for rappers who are a bit more socially conscious and dabble in more than just guns and drugs, but the socially conscious and relate-able raps began with TCD and LR, which has always been part of the Kanye appeal. If 808s was so revolutionary and influential, so many fans and non-fans wouldn't ignore it's existence.

But he wasn't talking bout coke and birds / It was more like spoken word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom