• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

exarkun

Kweli is fucking boring, people. His stuff always has a message, overly long, not witty, and its like he sometimes is just like "fuck it, I know im not mainstream so I won't make any of this rhyme and just resort to spoken word despite how mainstream im trying to make my sound seem". And this comes from someone who is a huuuge lyricist.

Early Common was some of the dopest shit but then he fell off when he tried to act.

Mos never needed a "comeback", especially assisted by anyone, since he has always been pretty lyrically gifted and commanded a lot of respect. That, and his last album was very good.

This is all in response to what some people are saying in the posts before me. :D

The only person Yeezy has helped revive the respect for their talent is Jay Z. When Jay does his own shit on his own album lately (so what, the last 4 records?) there are a few memorable verses then he gets lazy as fuck. Cause he has a lot of money, I understand that. But when he gets on a Yeezy beat with Yeezy then its like he realizes his normal shit won't do and steps it up. Jay better thank the heavens that kanye is doing a collaborative album with him since his normals ones lately are so poppy and boring (where'd the double meanings go).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Himuro said:
Oh, don't get me wrong. College Dropout is what brought me back to hip hop. I'm just talking about the industry itself, and the direction it went. Influential albums tend to change things almost immediately yet it took almost half a decade for the current crop of introspective rappers to come out.

I don't know if that's something wrong with the industry or what, but I personally feel that CR, despite its influence and success, didn't fully pave the way for alternative hip hop. It was the stepping stone, and it built a bridge, but it wasn't THE bridge. Otherwise, I would still be a hip hop fan to this day.
I can respect this. As a baseline, 808s > TCD in terms of influence I disagreed though. 808s may've been an important factor in mainstreaming raps that deal with internal issues and struggles, but I will always associate his previous albums for being that stepping stone that allowed the bridge to exist. That bridge would never have been built, had the foundation not been laid.

And, much like you, I stopped listening to rap after 2001 (album), and TCD revitalized my love for hip-hop and music in general.

Also, Get By Remix >>>>>>>>>> 99% of posse cuts. Star studded and verses are FIRE.

exarkun

Himuro said:
Be is dope, yo. :(

Also the problem with Talib is that he writes the rap first. He doesn't write to a beat.

A ghost writer would get fired for doing this, much less a professional hip hop artist.

Write poetry. Or just go the full spoken word route. You know does it muuuuch better than Talib? Saul Williams. Better topics, much more complicated word plays, just so much better.

I was at a hip hop party with quite a few hip hop artists (won a contest lol) and the person who almost everyone tried to talk to or at least say hi to was Saul. Busta went up to him, hugged him, and basically was his shadow the whole night. People like Bun was doing the same thing.

Ashhong

I find it interesting looking at my CloudApp page to see the hits for each song

Runaway.mp3 221
Power.mp3 246
Dark Fantasy.mp3 450
Lost in the World.mp3 247
Hell of a Life.mp3 183
Gorgeous.mp3 305
Devil in a New Dress.mp3 93
Blame Game.mp3 368
All of the Lights.mp3 515

People really like AOTL, and not so much Devil. Could be because its the same as the one on GOOD friday though.

Rather than say one of Kanye's albums was influential, why not make the argument that Kanye himself is influential? Without Kanye, the rap game would really be different.

Great. "Hipster" was thrown around here too, smh. -_-

But, my views in that argument were already made by someone else, so let me keep out.

But it's all discussion and purely opinion, and I'd rather it be that over a Kanye hate fest. I'm glad people have different perspectives about Kanye's music. While I may hate Barry Bonds (feat. Lil Wayne), someone else may love it.

Perspective is wonderful. Kanye is great. Album better make its way out soon!

Kanye is in the illuminati -- those jokes were merely made to get the media off of his back while he puts on his Baphomet horns... :D

RJT said:
No one loves Barry Bonds. That song is awful.
Tell that to my college friend. He loves that track to death for some odd reason that escapes me.

I don't get the love for Gold Digger even if I was known to bump to it years ago. :lol

Swag

Enjoy the older version of Lost in the World to the one in the Runaway video, the female voice that comes in after the rapping just doesn't fit compared to Kanye doing it.

Hope it's not on the album version :l

spindashing said:
Tell that to my college friend. He loves that track to death for some odd reason that escapes me.

I don't get the love for Gold Digger even if I was known to bump to it years ago. :lol

Gold Digger is a good song
to see how many white people think they can get away with saying the n word!

Parts

soul creator said:
I got caught doing this once without even thinking about it. My roommate killed himself laughing himself and told me to shut my honky ass. :lol

Lost In The World is amazing, daamn.

Parts said:
I got caught doing this once without even thinking about it. My roommate killed himself laughing himself and told me to shut my honky ass. :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol classy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sebulon3k said:
Enjoy the older version of Lost in the World to the one in the Runaway video, the female voice that comes in after the rapping just doesn't fit compared to Kanye doing it.

I disagree. I didn't like the leaked version, and the female voice makes it all sound much m ore harmonious and adds a ton to the song, IMO.

Brinbe

Sebulon3k said:

The more I listen to the Rihanna version, the more I agree. But I'm thankful that first mix even got leaked, as I'll just use that in my custom MBDTF album tracklist. :lol

Parts said:

I've come to accept it as long as it's in the context of quoting a song. I will have to convene a meeting with the rest of the Black Mafia to determine if we'll accept that as official policy though. We'll hold a press conference as soon as a decision is made!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
About to go to lunch and watch this Runaway "movie". Hope it's good. And I use to LOVE Wu-Tang, so I'm interesting in hearing the Dark Fantasy beat.

Ashhong

Brinbe said:
The more I listen to the Rihanna version, the more I agree. But I'm thankful that first mix even got leaked, as I'll just use that in my custom MBDTF album tracklist. :lol

Youre talking about All of the Lights, which is amazing with Rihanna!

RJT

mckmas8808 said:
About to go to lunch and watch this Runaway "movie". Hope it's good. And I use to LOVE Wu-Tang, so I'm interesting in hearing the Dark Fantasy beat.
Dark Fantasy is amazing. Classic Wu beat mixed with Kanye's more nuanced production. I'm sad it seems to be overshadowed by All of the lights...

BTW: that "Stupid, but what the fuck do I know?" line sounds sooooo gooooooooood!!!!!!!!

exarkun said:
A ghost writer would get fired for doing this, much less a professional hip hop artist.

:lol get outta here with that bull. real emcees often write without a beat.
1. they are able to make it align to a beat cause they should have a tempo in thier head so it fits to a beat.
2. they adjust it to a beat later so that it flows removing syllables here and there and words here and there.
3. they have a backlog of rhymes that they can spit anytime off the dome or off the paper and find one that fits the beat/song the best.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
golem said:
Man, I cant stop 'listening' to Runaway. Just let it play in the background.. the album is gonna be great!
When the album comes out there will be little excitement, but much acknowledgment that a classic has been crafted before our eyes. Unless Ye fucks up All of the Lights hard, and lets Gorgeous, Hell of a Life and Blame Game go to shits, this is already amazing in my eyes.

Its highly unlikely, but man imagine if the hip hop nation came together and helped Ye do a mill in a week.

Ashhong

enzo_gt said:
When the album comes out there will be little excitement, but much acknowledgment that a classic has been crafted before our eyes. Unless Ye fucks up All of the Lights hard, and lets Gorgeous, Hell of a Life and Blame Game go to shits, this is already amazing in my eyes.

Its highly unlikely, but man imagine if the hip hop nation came together and helped Ye do a mill in a week.

I will cry if Minaj sells more than Ye does in their first week....I could see it happening :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
I will cry if Minaj sells more than Ye does in their first week....I could see it happening :(
No.. no fucking way.

If Drake does 450 000, Nicki won't even do half. The buzz is nowhere near as big as hip hop media makes it seem to be. She'll do 150 000 MAXIMUM, I'm betting more like 90 000. I think Ye will do anywhere from 300 000 to 650 000. A lot of people are still hung up on the VMA incident, expectedly.

Side note #1: If you wiki MBDTF it brings you to the album page, sweet.
Side note #2: The wiki said, a few months ago, Def Jam had spent $3 million dollars so far on the album's recording. I mean jesus fucking christ.
Side note #3: No Lupe single today? Didn't see that coming!

Every day I am diggin a different track. Every one is solid. Not a weak one. Today Christian Dior Denim is knockin for me, love the chorus, and Pusha T and Banks on it are just stupid.

Ashhong

enzo_gt said:
No.. no fucking way.

If Drake does 450 000, Nicki won't even do half. The buzz is nowhere near as big as hip hop media makes it seem to be. She'll do 150 000 MAXIMUM, I'm betting more like 90 000. I think Ye will do anywhere from 300 000 to 650 000. A lot of people are still hung up on the VMA incident, expectedly.

Side note #1: If you wiki MBDTF it brings you to the album page, sweet.
Side note #2: The wiki said, a few months ago, Def Jam had spent $3 million dollars so far on the album's recording. I mean jesus fucking christ.
Side note #3: No Lupe single today? Didn't see that coming!

I dont know...I think theres still a lot of hate for Ye. However, hes been climbing the iTunes charts with his deluxe edition, so hopefully you're right.

Regarding your side note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ_Uf3yxjBs&feature=player_embedded

SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Eat that crow.

eat-crow-monkey.jpg

om nom nom nom

Ashhong

zero_suit said:
What female rappers have had high first week sales (300k+)? Kanye won't sell less than that.

I honestly dont know hard numbers of any sales. I was just speculating based on the stupid love that Young Money gets and the hate that Ye gets. He's been turning it around though, which can be seen on iTunes as I said.

RJT said:
Dark Fantasy is amazing. Classic Wu beat mixed with Kanye's more nuanced production. I'm sad it seems to be overshadowed by All of the lights...

BTW: that "Stupid, but what the fuck do I know?" line sounds sooooo gooooooooood!!!!!!!!

Yes. heard it on the radio on my way home from work. Beat was insane coming out of my car speakers.

"The plan was to drink until the pains over,
but whats worse the pain or the hangover"

So Good

Ashhong

soundscream said:
Yes. heard it on the radio on my way home from work. Beat was insane coming out of my car speakers.

"The plan was to drink until the pains over,
but whats worse the pain or the hangover"

So Good

Theyre playing it on the radio already? awesome.

Too many Urkels on your team, thats why you Winslow!

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
soul creator said:

When I sing along to songs, I tend to change the N word to something else without even thinking about it now. Used to take effort but now I find myself naturally changing it to "bitches" or "fuckers" or "homies" or whatever feels right.
But Gold Digger presented a problem since there was no good replacement word :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
I dont know...I think theres still a lot of hate for Ye. However, hes been climbing the iTunes charts with his deluxe edition, so hopefully you're right.

Regarding your side note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ_Uf3yxjBs&feature=player_embedded

SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Eat that crow.

http://www.bartcop.com/eat-crow-monkey.jpg[IMG]
om nom nom nom[/QUOTE]
:O OH SHIT. Thanks for the link!

om nom, tastes so good.

[QUOTE=Ashhong]Theyre playing it on the radio already? awesome.

Too many Urkels on your team, thats why you Winslow![/QUOTE]
Seriously, that line is amazing :lol

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
siddx said:
When I sing along to songs, I tend to change the N word to something else without even thinking about it now. Used to take effort but now I find myself naturally changing it to "bitches" or "fuckers" or "homies" or whatever feels right.
But Gold Digger presented a problem since there was no good replacement word :lol

n
agger

siddx said:

lol, on Rapstar (which uses edited video/radio versions of songs), it's just "She ain't messing with no broke, broke" which sounds weird as hell

The hype is killing me, it's not even November. When I saw the track list and how half the tracks were GOOD Friday joints my hype when down 7 notches. After watching Runaway and hearing the other tracks my hype went up 21 notches.

FUUUUUCCCCCCCK

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
soul creator said:
lol, on Rapstar (which uses edited video/radio versions of songs), it's just "She ain't messing with no broke, broke" which sounds weird as hell
That's the normal clean version and yes, it sounds horrible :lol

Will be interesting to see how it sells. This is the first time he'll release an album without a hit single blasting on the radio Def Jam has spent a shit ton of money on this, and it's getting plenty of free advertisement so it should sell regardless. Unless there's some massive white people backlash lol

Ashhong

PhoenixDark said:
Will be interesting to see how it sells. This is the first time he'll release an album without a hit single blasting on the radio Def Jam has spent a shit ton of money on this, and it's getting plenty of free advertisement so it should sell regardless. Unless there's some massive white people backlash lol

Did LR come out after Golddigger and Graduation after Stronger? Cause Cant Tell Me Nothin and Diamonds weren't really huge. On the flip side, I think he said he had like 3 of his songs in the Top 10 on that one famous station that I forgot the name of. I think he has more press than ever for an album release, except maybe 808s.

I could be wrong though, don't really remember the releases of the original trilogy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
Did LR come out after Golddigger and Graduation after Stronger? Cause Cant Tell Me Nothin and Diamonds weren't really huge. On the flip side, I think he said he had like 3 of his songs in the Top 10 on that one famous station that I forgot the name of. I think he has more press than ever for an album release, except maybe 808s.

I could be wrong though, don't really remember the releases of the original trilogy.
Diamonds was big, Can't Tell Me Nothin wasn't. I didn't like Can't Tell Me Nothin at first, but man that song goes HARD.

Is that Kanye's Hawaii studio? Or the Manhattan one or what?

Ashhong said:

Gold Digger came out early August and LR late august.
Stronger came out in July and Graduation came out in September.

enzo_gt said:
Is that Kanye's Hawaii studio? Or the Manhattan one or what?

No idea, just found the pic on a blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom