• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe she didn't approve of the first line, but Ye states in his tweets that she said she was famous because of kanye directly to a friend of his over dinner. That's not hard to believe at all, even if said as a joke. Fair grounds for use, she can't be mad at that part at least.

Oh did she? I mean I thought that was the only questionable part of the sequence. Who cares if he thinks he'd like to fuck TSwift? The part that felt awkward to me was the famous bit because...I mean what did Kanye have to do with her selling Country albums to her Country audience? And winning all of those Grammy's?

Do you have a link to her suggesting Kanye was responsible for her fame?

Damn, Ultra Light Beams is so fucking tight.

Kirk's choir put it down.

Dragnet

Oh did she? I mean I thought that was the only questionable part of the sequence. Who cares if he thinks he'd like to fuck TSwift? The part that felt awkward to me was the famous bit because...I mean what did Kanye have to do with her selling Country albums to her Country audience? And winning all of those Grammy's?

Do you have a link to her suggesting Kanye was responsible for her fame?

Kirk's choir put it down.

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/698146619703824384
https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/698146866098278400
https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/698146943927787522

Sure, she was famous before, but the drama he brought by being an idiot really helped put her in the spotlight big time and without a doubt helped her. He's just using her own words against her here, smart tbh.

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/698146619703824384
https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/698146866098278400
https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/698146943927787522

Sure, she was famous before, but the drama he brought by being an idiot really helped put her in the spotlight big time and without a doubt helped her. He's just using her own words against her here, smart tbh.

So second hand information? Rumor?

So we don't actually have TSwift saying something like that on recording or anyone who is even to go on record as an anonymous source. We have Kanye saying, "I heard through someone that she had said that." Which seems completely out of character for Taylor who is known to be not only extremely proud, but pretty anal about how things are being run around her? Someone who is just about as "self made" in the music industry as they come, having written I think almost all (if not 100%) of her own songs?

You see why this becomes increasingly hard to buy? It'd almost be like someone Stedmond, "Oprah said I was the reason she's famous." Like, really tho? And you want me to believe Oprah said something like that?

ItIsOkBro

So we don't actually have TSwift saying something like that on recording or anyone who is even to go on record as an anonymous source. We have Kanye saying, "I heard through someone that she had said that." Which seems completely out of character for Taylor who is known to be not only extremely proud, but pretty anal about how things are being run around her? Someone who is just about as "self made" in the music industry as they come, having written I think almost all (if not 100%) of her own songs?

You see why this becomes increasingly hard to buy? It'd almost be like someone Stedmond, "Oprah said I was the reason she's famous." Like, really tho? And you want me to believe Oprah said something like that?

Taylor Swift self made? She came right out of the music manufacturing plant.

Taylor Swift self made? She came right out of the music manufacturing plant.

Considering almost everyone comes out of the music manufacturing plant, she's one of the few that actually writes/wrote her own stuff. That's why I said, "...as they come."

Very few indeed. And try not to skip all the other bullet points to tunnel vision on one point. See the forest for the trees. She's extremely proud, image-conscious, competitive and controlling. Why would she stoop her ego down to even suggest such a thing? To even think it? It seems absurd to the point where I almost laugh at you for thinking she'd actually say something like that.

nib95

Banned
It's always hilarious when people that don't know what the fuck they're talking about when it comes to rap, try to talk about rap.

And also when people don't understand context, can't read properly, or assume someone is automatically lying…..because reasons.

I'd love Taylor Swift's clarification on the situation though, because so far only her publicist has actually commented on her behalf, not Taylor herself.

Dragnet

Are you serious? Like she couldn't make up BS equally as easy? She's not even out here speaking for herself. Everything you see about her is a publicity image. If you can't see her saying that, even as a joke followed by rolling her eyes, you're fucking crazy. Her PR wouldn't be around for that, they're not gonna catch everything. That woman is not an angel.

You cannot argue that the Kanye beef shot her high, high into the sky, recognition-wise. She'd still be mad famous without him, but his mistakes helped her out in the end, like a lot. #FACTS

Kanye has a stupid ego, but he's a very honest person about where he came from, what he pulls from and how he works. He's never been ashamed to admit his mistakes in his lyrics. To be honest, his biggest lie to date was the release date for this album lmao.

Catvoca

Banned
The thing that's so terrible about the Taylor line is that it's dominated the conversation. Kanye played an entire new album of songs, some of which were insane, and all people are talking about in the media is Taylor beef.

It isn't helped by the fact Kanye still hasn't put the goddamn album out.

PSY・S;195029303 said:
y'all need to quit entertaining this guy. the dude's irrelevant.

He's been one of the most, if not the most, relevant, influential, and ground breaking hip-hop/pop-stars since 2000, but carry on.

Air

Banned
I mean if Taylor is ok with it, I don't see the issue. I do think it'd be weird too to have that line without telling Kim either, so I think there's an understanding there between the parties.

Not defending the line or Kanye here, but I think if Taylor was really angry she would have responded already kind of like how she did with nicki minaj. I think they're both cool about it.

Edit: lol right as I write this apparently Taylor swifts publicist says there was no approval.

Are you serious? Like she couldn't make up BS equally as easy? She's not even out here speaking for herself. Everything you see about her is a publicity image. If you can't see her saying that, even as a joke followed by rolling her eyes, you're fucking crazy. Her PR wouldn't be around for that, they're not gonna catch everything. That woman is not an angel.

You cannot argue that the Kanye beef shot her high, high into the sky, recognition-wise. She'd still be mad famous without him, but his mistakes helped her out in the end, like a lot. #FACTS

I can't argue that a 7-time Grammy winner with 25 Platinum certified records (I believe you still get a framed record for every time an album goes platinum, yes?) hanging in her office was made famous by KW? I'd argue that the audience that cares about Kanye has almost no cross-over with the audience that would be interested in Taylor at that time (she was still focused on Country) and that the audience she's created over time would be roughly the same size now with or without Ye snatching her mic.

We're gonna need some data plots and a regression analysis. Something that overlays her expected album sales with and without Kanye to determine the accuracy of this claim. I'll call the engineers at LIGO and we'll get to the bottom of this.

Squalor

I mean if Taylor is ok with it, I don't see the issue. I do think it'd be weird too to have that line without telling Kim either, so I think there's an understanding there between the parties.

Not defending the line or Kanye here, but I think if Taylor was really angry she would have responded already kind of like how she did with nicki minaj. I think they're both cool about it.
No matter what, all of this is nothing but publicity for two multimillionaires.

Ashhong

Ca-Hg65UMAE-daV.jpg

Is this from yesterday? Haven't seen 50 in a long time hahah

The problem now is that because the album isn't out, the line/song can't speak for itself as a whole. Like, I wrote up what I think it means and how it fits into the album's narrative, but since the album isn't finalized, out, or really listenable as a complete work at all yet, we're essentially getting an early access peak you're really not supposed to get in music.

Out of context it is a shitty line, and the he-said-she-said between Kanye and Taylor's publicist only makes it worse. As a part of a whole album, I think it makes a lot more sense, but when people can't really listen to the complete work it's unfair to demand that they judge the complete work.

People are essentially judging TLoP the way someone might judge GKMC if Backseat Freestyle was the only song they'd heard, but it'd be hard to blame them if GKMC wasn't available to listen to in full.

nib95

Banned
The problem now is that because the album isn't out, the line/song can't speak for itself as a whole. Like, I wrote up what I think it means and how it fits into the album's narrative, but since the album isn't finalized, out, or really listenable as a complete work at all yet, we're essentially getting an early access peak you're really not supposed to get in music.

Out of context it is a shitty line, and the he-said-she-said between Kanye and Taylor's publicist only makes it worse. As a part of a whole album, I think it makes a lot more sense, but when people can't really listen to the complete work it's unfair to demand that they judge the complete work.

People are essentially judging TLoP the way someone might judge GKMC if Backseat Freestyle was the only song they'd heard, but it'd be hard to blame them if GKMC wasn't available to listen to in full.

I missed your earlier post, but fantastic write up. I suspect you're probably on the money regarding the greater context within the album, especially if the order of tracks follows a similar fashion. It's not too dissimilar to recent Kendrick work, where in some songs he'll be braggadocios and arrogant, and the very next criticise it all as playing up, fronting or simply being a construct of peer pressure or influence.

Squalor

I have yet to find any evidence of that on Pandora. Seems like the reporter is just speculating that it will be based on Pandora's statement yesterday.
BS that was posted 2 hours ago. Why is it up on Pandora 2 hours before tidal who streamed his thing.

This is speculation from yesterday's article where someone claimed the same thing.
Dat misinformation
This makes much more sense. I knew there was no way Pandora was getting first streams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom