• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizer

Banned
I can already tell Waves is gonna be one of those songs I play when I feel extremely depressed and I need my spirits lifted. It's so goddamn inspirational, makes me feel amazing.

yeah, it's good, but definitely not his strongest.

2nd or 3rd best album. probably 3rd.

we'll have to see how it wears over time. Yeezy has timeless classics in his top 3, so we may not be able to properly place this one for a year or more. It's rare something ages like fine wine.

Ibuki

Banned
screen.png

Probably old already

EDIT: yooooo

Squire

Banned
I finally listened to the whole damn thing. I haven't really read any opinions on it yet but I'm really, really curious to see how the response to this thing goes. It feels like a double album in terms of scope; I couldn't believe that I was already on Wolves when it hit. Overall I'm surprised at how cohesive it sounds given what a fucking mess the rollout and recording seems to have been. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely an album that's sort of all over the place, but it feels like controlled chaos rather than unfocused garbage.

The first half feels like a pretty straightforward happy and arrogant -> paranoid and anxious mood swing, and the second half (not literally "half," I guess, but everything after the interlude) feels like a bit of a career victory lap. In this sense Facts fits more than it did as a loosie, but it's still my least favorite track overall. It works though.

FML is the sterling highlight for me, followed closely by Ultra Light Beam and the beat switch on Famous. There are a lot of great moments though. Waves is very good, although I'm curious as to why Chance felt *that* strongly about it and what had to get changed "in the lab" given how simple it seems.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure how I feel about the whole package yet, past "I like it a good bit."

Glad I'm not the only one really feeling that beat switch on Famous as a highlight. Chance claims victory with that verse on ULB. I agree, I don't quite get the fuss over Waves.

I'll forgive Chance for holding up dinner though.

GamerJM

Banned
yeah, it's good, but definitely not his strongest.

2nd or 3rd best album. probably 3rd.

I'd say third or fourth probably but I'm still deciding, it's really early

My ranking is:

Graduation>MBDTF>College Dropout>Yeezus>=808s>Late Registration

TLoB is right around College Dropout for me atm

Also I wasn't as impressed by Ultralight Beam or Waves, though they're both really good. Best tracks are Stretch My Hands Pt. 2 and High Lights. Famous and No More Parties in LA are also fantastic.

so is everything after wolves bonus tracks on here? because if it is then we could be looking at an album where the weakest track on it is highlights...and that is a ridiculously high quality LP.

edit: no more parties going to the trash bin. 30 hours is kinda boring too within this whole album but it's still pretty decent.

so is everything after wolves bonus tracks on here? because if it is then we could be looking at an album where the weakest track on it is highlights...and that is a ridiculously high quality LP.
Yeah I definitely think that's the case. He even says bonus tracks in 30 hours. Highlights is in no way weak tho

Squire

Banned

I think 30 Hours is the actual end.

I think this is his most consistent record? It flies better than every other album. You could just keep listening to it.

Fade has that King Kunta vibe. Fucking love it.

Also, the part 2 of father strecth my hand was straight fire, with 'Desiigner's track being sampled. (Yes the full track is called Panda by Desiigner)

edit: no more parties going to the trash bin. 30 hours is kinda boring too within this whole album but it's still pretty decent.

I thought it was everything after 30 Hours.

robotrock

Banned
He says the four tracks at the end are bonus on 30 Hours I think...but including them still works.

It's still (somehow) a fairly cohesive sounding album.

Floridian

I feel like this album is a mix of his past albums. Like it takes a piece of content from each of them and it's all mixed into one body of work. It has a great variety of his different musical styles.

PatzCU

GAF - it's been fun F5'ing this thread the last few days and getting rolled by the Yeezy hype train.

Too tired too write anything meaningful about this album yet but holy fuck did Kanye DELIVER. This is definitely one of his best albums if not THE best.

Standout track for me is FML. Maybe I'll rank the rest later but why bother? The whole album is fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom