• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is art. You don't mess with the creator's intent.

But he clearly rushed this and did last minute changes which are questionable to say the least.

I'll accept it as is in the grand scheme of things, but in the fantasy world of my itunes I want what I feel is a better version.

sephi22

I bet me and Ray J would be friiiiends
If we ain't love the same biiiitch

The nasal delivery on friiiends and biiiitch is so good. Gets me every time.

Ibuki

Banned
HOLY SHIT FINALLY HIT FADE OH MY GOD

tumblr_md04lmEl9u1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

sephi22

But he clearly rushed this and did last minute changes which are questionable to say the least.

I'll accept it as is in the grand scheme of things, but in the fantasy world of my itunes I want what I feel is a better version.

I was only joking. Go ham. The release of this album was a trash heap on fire. Its the first time I've followed an album before its release and Mike Dean is the most famous inept person I've seen.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Can y'all believe we were only originally getting like 10 songs?
The first track list he showed was missing Ultralight Beams

That blows my mind. Same with Chance convincing him about Waves. Still really surprised Travis Scott isn't on here either.

GamerJM

Banned
Just got done listening. This shit's really good, one of the better Kanye albums.

Also this topic was hilarious. I was lurking the whole time and it made the album rollout amazing.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Just finished Fade.

Yeah, this just hopped over MBDTF/808s as Kanye's absolute best. Three years of waiting, and goddamn was it worth every minute.

Freestyle 4 is kinda hard to listen to when inebriated if you get my drift

Ah I envy you. Please post your impressions as you go along. I wanna hear a new listener's impressions. Hold on to your butt.

It's a really good opener. I'll assume this is an album you can listen to again and again.

HOLYYYYYYYYYYYYY

WAVES! ARE YOU SERIOUS YE'?! YOU HAD TO BE CONVINCED TO PUT THIS ON THE ALBUM?!!!!!!

CHANCE KNOWS THAT WAVES DONT DIE!!!!!!

I finally listened to the whole damn thing. I haven't really read any opinions on it yet but I'm really, really curious to see how the response to this thing goes. It feels like a double album in terms of scope; I couldn't believe that I was already on Wolves when it hit. Overall I'm surprised at how cohesive it sounds given what a fucking mess the rollout and recording seems to have been. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely an album that's sort of all over the place, but it feels like controlled chaos rather than unfocused garbage.

The first half feels like a pretty straightforward happy and arrogant -> paranoid and anxious mood swing, and the second half (not literally "half," I guess, but everything after the interlude) feels like a bit of a career victory lap. In this sense Facts fits more than it did as a loosie, but it's still my least favorite track overall. It works though.

FML is the sterling highlight for me, followed closely by Ultra Light Beam and the beat switch on Famous. There are a lot of great moments though. Waves is very good, although I'm curious as to why Chance felt *that* strongly about it and what had to get changed "in the lab" given how simple it seems.

robotrock

Banned
There's a line on Wolves about leaving your fridge open and a friend taking a sandwich, I think.

Personally I like the new Wolves more than the old Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom