• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizer

Banned
Can't believe people are having trouble dealing with the bleached asshole line. I love it personally - it's so goddamn stupid/bad that it actually becomes good.

Like it's the most Kanye-esque line you could think of. Like something that would come out of a Kanye West Lyrics Meme Generator. And to place it right after Kelly Price, Kirk Franklin & Choirs were singing about "God Dreams" in the previous song is all the more hilarious.

Grading the Album
Aping nib95's format b/c i'm lazy

• Ultralight Beam -
    7/10

• Father Stretch My Hands Pt.1 -
    7/10

• Pt. 2 -
    5/10

• Famous -
    6/10

• Feedback -
    5/10

• Low lights -
    5/10

• Highlights -
    2/10

• Freestyle 4 -
    4/10

• Waves -
    1/10

• FML -
    5/10 - 7/10 (for the 2nd half of the track)

• Real Friends -
    10/10

• Wolves -
    2/10

• 30 hours -
    8/10

• No More Parties in L.A. -
    3/10 - 6/10 for the last verse

• Facts - way better then the last version heard
    5/10

• Fade -
    6/10

Overall.

Late Registration
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
808s & Heartbreak (without the choruses)
Only "Murder to Excellence" from Watch the Throne
Graduation
Yeezus tie The Life of Pablo
The College Dropout

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My only complaint so far is for a rap album there sure is a lack of rapping. I think that's what people say when they say they "miss the old Kanye" too. Lot of singing, autotune, etc. Not much actual rapping. Sometimes we get 3/4 of one verse.

Kaizer

Banned
that's called no longer having standards

Or more like knowing Kanye has always said amazingly dumb, stupid, cheesy & outright bad lines his whole entire career. Nobody should be surprised by that lyric unless this is the first Kanye West album they've listened to.

This is the same guy who said he stuck his fist in a girl like a civil rights sign lmao. I'm not saying you have the like the lyric but some people have been acting like they can't believe he'd say something so dumb when there's a precedent for this level of ridiculousness

Servbot24

Banned
Or more like knowing Kanye has always said amazingly dumb, stupid, cheesy & outright bad lines his whole entire career. Nobody should be surprised by that lyric unless this is the first Kanye West album they've listened to.

This is the same guy who said he stuck his fist in a girl like a civil rights sign lmao. I'm not saying you have the like the lyric but some people have been acting like they can't believe he'd say something so dumb when there's a precedent for this level of ridiculousness

The problem is Kanye barely says anything on this album, so whatever he does say stands out way more. Not to mention that line comes immediately after Ultra Light Beam....

Koozek

ecole_alpha2r_33.gif
ecole_alpha2r_25.gif
ecole_alpha2r_28.gif
ecole_alpha2r_29.gif

megalowho

After a few days I'm gonna go ahead and say I think it's his best work. Felt it after the first listen and it keeps growing on me. A sonically adventurous, raw, briskly paced culmination of all his previous styles without a bad track on it. Bumps and flows from beginning to end, taken as a whole it's both scattershot and conceptual. Masterful usage of samples and interesting song structure. Kanye is still the talented asshole, the provocator, the ego that craves redemption, but on TLOP he appears to embrace his demons more fully and lets them fuel the creative fire, elevating the project while also exposing his underlying sadness.

I could fault it for not having enough rhyming but he's not going for straight hip hop on this. Just another instrument to use when necessary. Could also fault it for a couple of stupid bars, but whatever. Kanye feels both an arms length away from TLOP while remaining its emotional center, it's a character study as much as it is characterization. I really like it and think he's reached a new creative peak.

Kaizer

Banned
The problem is Kanye barely says anything on this album, so whatever he does say stands out way more. Not to mention that line comes immediately after Ultra Light Beam....

I can agree with this, it's definitely his most lyrically lax project, sorta feels like he gave a half-hearted promise on NMPILA a few weeks earlier that his writers block was over only to deliver terrible lines like that lol

FZZ

Banned
man maybe you guys should consider not giving a fuck what Fantano thinks

FgaD1dz.png

I'm still going to watch the review, even though I do not agree with any of his reviews for Kanye. With almost every single other artist I have agreed with or at the very least come to understand his point of view.

He is amazing at articulating and puts in great work so it's worth a watch for me personally. I do feel he has a bias in focusing on Kanye's weaknesses rather than objectively looking at both his strengths and weaknesses.

Servbot24

Banned
I can agree with this, it's definitely his most lyrically lax project, sorta feels like he gave a half-hearted promise on NMPILA a few weeks earlier that his writers block was over only to deliver terrible lines like that lol

If I recall correctly he wrote that very recently, so maybe the supposed writer's black was gone after most of the album was done? He still should have done some rewrites though

I feel like ever since maybe Graduation, but definitely 808's and up, Ye' made the production first n foremost. He's always had humorous bars intermixed with actual heat so I'm not sure why this album has people surprised.

Anyway so many of these songs have such great build up. Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1, Waves (freaking sounds like a winners anthem), Freestyle 4, Facts all have that fire build up. The turn up will be strong with those.

Think I'll always be vibing with Ye'. I love following his musical progression and I think each album will be a testament to where he chooses to be regardless of fans or critics. I was proud of him for Yeezus, even though it wasn't what I wanted initially, (it grew on me hard quickly though) and 808's blew my mind at release. Autotune at a time I hated it the most and no parental advisory. Crazy. It'll always be Late Registration as the top spot and 808's sits in a lofty place that can't be ranked with his other albums because its so different but TLOP is in my top 3 now along with MBDTF.

Someone replied saying he was pretentious and he said:

Damn Lupe, what are you doing?
Yo Lupe went through hell and back with Atlantic. He's definitely alot more cynical than he was in the past. But I understand where he's coming from.

*sigh*

I just wish CRS would still happen. Pharrell has not lost any of the charm that makes him awesome and I'm sure his spark would help both Ye' and Lupe brighten up. Don't Stop and Us Placers still make my spine tingle.

Izuna

Banned
So I took a walk, listened to the album in OG order. FML, Real Friends, Wolves... Ending on those three is so emotional. I think that's really what I like about this album so much.

It doesn't end on a high note in that order let me tell you, but it repeats into Ultra Light Beam.

And after Wolves you need more to listen to haha. It's perpetual.

Despite mixed feelings from many points, I think this album is a masterpiece now.

Or maybe it's making me crazy.

Kaizer

Banned

Catvoca

Banned

He was really into this South Park season that was anti-Political correctness too. I like a lot of the guys reviews but I wish he'd keep his politics out of his music reviews. Ironically enough, separating the art of Fantano from the person is difficult for me.

Edit: In fact, it's sorta funny for people in a Kanye thread to be like " i don't want to watch what he creates because I disagree with him on some political issues".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom