• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdot

Well I've held out a week hoping that the tidal exclusive talk was just that, talk. Have yet to hear the album in any cohesive sense outside of those 30 sec samples. I'm refusing to give in and subscribe so I'm at a standstill now as to when I'll actually be able to listen to this at all. Pretty bummed.

Lol @ anyone trying to pass off Future as hip-hop

Fck-outta-here-GIF.gif

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Well I've held out a week hoping that the tidal exclusive talk was just that, talk. Have yet to hear the album in any cohesive sense outside of those 30 sec samples. I'm refusing to give in and subscribe so I'm at a standstill now as to when I'll actually be able to listen to this at all. Pretty bummed.
I agree. I broke down and got the trial but once that's up I won't have it in my library. It's pretty ridiculous. I thought preordering meant an album would come out at some point. Guess not.

I really like the album too.

GetLucky

Same here. Just let me buy it, Kanye!

I prefer to not say something is real hip hop. There is a lane for everyone. That's just me. I like a lot of different styles of hip hop.
Is Kanye considered rap, or hip hop? Or is rap a genre of hip hop (or the other way around)?

Serious question, as I've noticed this thread gets trolled a bit, and I can see my question possibly rubbing people the wrong way.

Cheers

ubique

Nah, just throw that last future album on or TPAB and enjoy some actually good hip hop that doesn't require sexist disses at young pop stars to be brought up in music discussion.

I don't particularly like the line you referenced either, or several others, but they don't really make me like the album any less

I always remember Lou Reed's Yeezus review:

Lou Reed said:
Many lyrics seem like the same old b.s. Maybe because he made up so much of it at the last minute. But it’s the energy behind it, the aggression. Usually the Kanye lyrics I like are funny, and he’s very funny here. Although he thinks that getting head from nuns and eating Asian pussy with sweet and sour sauce is funny, and it might be, to a 14-year-old — but it has nothing to do with me. Then there’s the obligatory endless blowjobs and menages-a-trois.

But it’s just ridiculous that people are getting upset about “Put my fist in her like a civil rights sign”? C’mon, he’s just having fun. That’s no more serious than if he said he’s going to drop a bomb on the Vatican. How can you take that seriously?

Mdot

I agree. I broke down and got the trial but once that's up I won't have it in my library. It's pretty ridiculous. I thought preordering meant an album would come out at some point. Guess not.

I really like the album too.
It really is almost false advertising for those like you who pre-ordered expecting one thing and are not even getting anything out of it. I'd love to hear from the actual label to see where they stand. Can't be happy with the monetary impact, along with how it leaves them in fans eyes.

Hip Hop

Is Kanye considered rap, or hip hop? Or is rap a genre of hip hop (or the other way around)?

Serious question, as I've noticed this thread gets trolled a bit, and I can see my question possibly rubbing people the wrong way.

Cheers
Rap or Hip-hop is the same thing. They're not different genres.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The beat on the OG Highlights gives it a wholly unique vibe. I want this version finished to compliment the album version, almost like a remix. Ye straight grooving on that last verse.

wI3uzRN.gif

And this is why Nas said hip hop is dead so many years ago. People dont know the difference between an artist and an entertainer. What has Future or Nicki Minaj actually contributed to hip-hop, what are they know for. What have they done other than make awful music that you think sounds good after consuming a large amount of alcohol and drugs. I dunno, not much impresses me these days. I don't see the appeal of someone mumbling incoherently in auto tune. Yes i know Kanye uses it and can't sing either, but what he lacks in voice he makes up for in production. Does Future actually make any of the beats that people seem to love so much?

Catvoca

Banned
And this is why Nas said hip hop is dead so many years ago. People dont know the difference between an artist and an entertainer. What has Future or Nicki Minaj actually contributed to hip-hop, what are they know for. What have they done other than make awful music that you think sounds good after consuming a large amount of alcohol and drugs. I dunno, not much impresses me these days. I don't see the appeal of someone mumbling incoherently in auto tune. Yes i know Kanye uses it and can't sing either, but what he lacks in voice he makes up for in production. Does Future actually make any of the beats that people seem to love so much?

Did you hear this thread was full of L's so you came in here to get one?

This is a Kanye thread why the hell are you arguing about this shit here? Go back to the 80's if all you want to listen to is the same type of rap. I'll just be sitting here enjoying the diverse range of artists under the hip-hop umbrella now.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Hip hop died in the commercial sense ever since the role of the lyricist died

Imo Kanye can't rap so he ain't hip hop he pop
He'd be so much better if he made an instrumental album or at least used ghost writers like Dr Dre

Also plenty of good underground hip hop out there

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Future contributed a lackadaisical flow that has been mimicked and spawned a thriving subgenre of hip-hop. Nicki Minaj has opened doors much like Lil Kim did before for young women to have careers in hip-hop. She's a female hip-hop superstar like no one ever before, and has held her own on tracks like Monster and Go Hard with legends.

Out of all the threads to pull "real hip hop" bullshit out yall choose a Kanye thread

:mjcry:
This too.

Pavaloo

if young metro don't trust you im gon' shoot
BEAUTIFUL MORNIN

nicki had the best verse on MBDTF duder, i can be sober and still come to that conclusion

nib95

Banned

You sound jaded and musically narrow minded. Firstly, Nicki Minaj is one of the most lyrically gifted and diverse rappers out there, among men or women, so to write her off because you dislike her music, or because it's too popular for you, is just sad.

Secondly, not all music needs to be revelatory or contribute to it's genre in dramatic or political ways. There will always be a place for that sort of music (see Kendrick Lamar, CunningLinguists, Akala etc), but by that same token, there will also be a place for music that simply entertains or is good to listen to. Not everyone listens to music to be constantly presented with depth, experimentation or poignant lyricism, sometimes they just want to vibe along with something that is musically interesting, engaging and/or fun, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

My personal music collection is massive, covering basically every genre out there, from classical, to pop, RnB, Hip Hop, Jazz, Rock, foreign, you name it, and that's part of the magic of it, the sheer degree of diversity in all genre's of music, including Hip Hop.

Nothing wrong with having a preference, but your post reminds me of "everything should be like Souls" over in gaming side. Love Nas, but it's okay to like Three 6 Mafia, Gucci, Future, etc. too. Just fun music to ride, chill, workout and party to.

It's not like Nicki isn't talented either. See her Monster verse.

Future contributed a lackadaisical flow that has been mimicked and spawned a thriving subgenre of hip-hop. Nicki Minaj has opened doors much like Lil Kim did before for young women to have careers in hip-hop. She's a female hip-hop superstar like no one ever before, and has held her own on tracks like Monster and Go Hard with legends.

This too.

So he paved the way for other no talent rappers... Thank you for such a bright future! Just being famous isn't contributing to genre, thanks Nicki, with out you we woukd never gave such talented artists like Iggy Azelia.

Kanye might not be the most lyrical rapper, but he's a lot better than Future... At least I can understand what he says. He's contributed more to the genre just in his production than both of the rappee hacks combined.

nib95

Banned
So he paved the way for other no talent rappers... Thank you for such a bright future! Just being famous isn't contributing to genre, thanks Nicki, with out you we woukd never gave such talented artists like Iggy Azelia.

Kanye might not be the most lyrical rapper, but he's a lot better than Future... At least I can understand what he says. He's contributed more to the genre just in his production than both of the rappee hacks combined.

What the hell is your point? Musical enjoyment isn't a penis measuring contest. It's not about who contributed more (a subjective thing), or who earns more money, or who has the bigger swimming pool. Though such questions can be interesting in themselves, they do not need to detract from musical enjoyment itself.

Order

I like how you keep bringing up production when mentioning Kanye's "contribution". Are you one of those people who only listen to hip hop for the beats

Hey people are free to enjoy what they want but I'll be damned if someone tries to tell me to listen to Future because he's a better artist than Kanye, thats just one of the dumbest suggestions I've ever heard.

Obviously lyrics are important to be but im not saying Kanye will be remembered for his lyrics... He will be remembered for his production and DJing is a vital part of hip-hop.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think I've finally settled on the best version of Wolves.

It's the KTT Final Edit (6:29). Superior outro of Sia's verse (vs. the Jetsons shit in the OG) into an extra Vic verse (vs. nothing in the OG since the track is unfinished and they left the instrumental open for another verse without varying it much), and also the extra ad libs from Ye in his opening verse. OG version has better audio of Sia's verse, with the added benefit of the very faint clapping picked up by the mic feed removed.

I don't know what Kanye can do to fix this besides recreating this in CDQ.

Future is mood music. The great thing about this new era of rap is that, unlike the gangsta rap era 15 years ago, everyone has a lane. If I wanna fuck with some intellectual shit, I got Kendrick. If I wanna hear about the college experience, I got JCole. If I wanna hear a dude singing melodies about ex girlfriends and strippers breaking his heart, I got Drake. If I want druggy psychedelic music to bump in the whip, I got Future. Wavy music, I got Wiz Khalifa and French Montana. West Coast shit, Game and Schoolboy Q. East coast trap, I got A$AP Rocky. Gym music, I got Rick Rozay. Theres too much variety in modern hip hop for anyone to be complaining about the Futures of the world.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
FSMH might be my favourite now after listening to this for a week straight. It's constantly switching for me, FML, Waves, 30 Hours, FSMH are all so fucking good.

It's this really what we've come to, elitism and shitting on future? Ye needs to feed us quick.

OT 2 can't come soon enough.
We're eating our own now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom