• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sucks, that this album, if it comes out, will be arriving into a landscape of people probably already somewhat moving on from constant rotation listening, who probably pirated it in the first place and won't be bothered to pay for a slightly altered slightly better sounding(maybe) version. Not to mention the hype in general has worn off. The L train finally derailed and everyone has died or gotten off.

The only listens I've had are from the people who live streamed it on twitch and the bandcamp link. I can't wait to actually listen in my car, but attention spans are short and people move on faster than ever.

Mortemis

Banned
Sucks, that this album, if it comes out, will be arriving into a landscape of people probably already somewhat moving on from constant rotation listening, who probably pirated it in the first place and won't be bothered to pay for a slightly altered slightly better sounding(maybe) version. Not to mention the hype in general has worn off. The L train finally derailed and everyone has died or gotten off.
Exactly. Unless tidal paid them really good I can't see Def Jam being happy at all with this situation.

I think I've finally settled on the best version of Wolves.

It's the KTT Final Edit (6:29). Superior outro of Sia's verse (vs. the Jetsons shit in the OG) into an extra Vic verse (vs. nothing in the OG since the track is unfinished and they left the instrumental open for another verse without varying it much), and also the extra ad libs from Ye in his opening verse. OG version has better audio of Sia's verse, with the added benefit of the very faint clapping picked up by the mic feed removed.

I don't know what Kanye can do to fix this besides recreating this in CDQ.

link?

Eos

And this is why Nas said hip hop is dead so many years ago. People dont know the difference between an artist and an entertainer. What has Future or Nicki Minaj actually contributed to hip-hop, what are they know for. What have they done other than make awful music that you think sounds good after consuming a large amount of alcohol and drugs. I dunno, not much impresses me these days. I don't see the appeal of someone mumbling incoherently in auto tune. Yes i know Kanye uses it and can't sing either, but what he lacks in voice he makes up for in production. Does Future actually make any of the beats that people seem to love so much?
Why are you bringing this up in this thread?

Syntsui

Yeah, I'm getting burned on the album already. I will be surprised if it sells well when it actually comes out. Not that it matters anyway, it will get plays on streaming platforms over the years.

Catvoca

Banned
I'm starting to get a little burned out after listening to it so many times after release. Unless he actually reworks the album significantly, I probably won't end up listening to it too much more. It would be insane if he actually changed a bunch of shit, like after College Dropout leaked, but at this point I'm really not expecting anything. I just hope it gets off Tidal and goes elsewhere.

Dabanton

The only listens I've had are from the people who live streamed it on twitch and the bandcamp link. I can't wait to actually listen in my car, but attention spans are short and people move on faster than ever.

Yeah the rollout of this has been a hot mess. I went on Spotify to see if it's up and the album is there but it's all greyed out with the message that they hope to be able to have it up soon.

SKINNER!

Banned
Yeah the rollout of this has been a hot mess. I went on Spotify to see if it's up and the album is there but it's all greyed out with the message that they hope to be able to have it up soon.

Spotify always does that when they don't own the rights to stream an album. Adele said she had no intentions of putting her latest album on Spotify but her album appears on Spotify all greyed out with the same message you stated. Doesn't mean shit.

Dabanton

Spotify always does that when they don't own the rights to stream an album. Adele said she had no intentions of putting her latest album on Spotify but her album appears on Spotify all greyed out with the same message you stated. Doesn't mean shit.

I know it doesn't mean shit. I just want to be able to listen to the album without using Tidal.

The point was this rollout has been garbage and erratic.

Catvoca

Banned
Not murderers, pedophiles, dictators, etc? "Music elitists", which I bet you can't even define?

Come on man, "if there's one thing I hate" is an expression. I could do the same thing you're doing by asking "why do you care about someone caring about music elitists when there's murders happening in the world?". It's a silly comparison. The person you're replying to was just lamenting the poster on the other page who was complaining about Future/Nicki not being "real" hip-hop.

JohnDoe

Banned
So he paved the way for other no talent rappers... Thank you for such a bright future! Just being famous isn't contributing to genre, thanks Nicki, with out you we woukd never gave such talented artists like Iggy Azelia.

Kanye might not be the most lyrical rapper, but he's a lot better than Future... At least I can understand what he says. He's contributed more to the genre just in his production than both of the rappee hacks combined.
You sound real fun to be around.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The back cover of the album says it all. This album is like Donald Trump, it's designed to steal airtime, it's in constant flux. "Which one" refers to that, the album has no final definition.

edit: Even the title "Waves" hinted at this concept. The album keeps coming and going.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
listened to Yeezus again last night and whew, i like that album so much more now than when it first released. it'll be interesting to see what people think of that album 20-30 years from now in relation to his other projects; could be another 808s-like turnaround.

This album doesn't have many standout tracks in comparison to his others. Yeah it's cool to vibe to because of the production, but I already find myself gravitating towards his older albums instead. Some of the sloppy verses really put a damper on it along with the unfinished feeling some of these songs have. It would be okay if it was cohesive or if all of the songs were catchy like Yeezus, but that's not the case imo.

Fade feels too short and like there should be some switch up or guest verse that never comes.

Ditto for Freestyle 4.

Ruined Wolves by removing Sia/Vic and adding that underwhelming unswallow/unfollow verse. We have the KTT version at least I guess and we'll see how he reworks it.

I like the Highlights beat switch, but the Ray J quip feels unnecessary and old. Why not an actual Young Thug verse? He usually brings the best out of other artists.

Bleach asshole verse on FSMH feels like such a throwaway even though I love Cudi's part.

I would've preferred Future over the knockoff on Pt. 2. Still a decent banger, but it ends before it really gets started.

Waves would be great if there was more Ye, I don't like Chris Brown THAT much for him to basically get his own song on a Kanye album. Another Kanye verse or feature please. Maybe after Cudi's humming.

Instead of an Andre 3000 verse at the end of 30 Hours, we get backing vocals and Kanye talking like it's fucking Last Call. This had potential to be an all time great Ye Song.

Max B is cool, but what's the point of the Silver Surfer Intermission if the album isn't called Waves anymore?

I like what he did with Facts, but still not good enough to be a Kanye album cut. Too generic.

I Love Kanye is cool.

It feels like I should like NMPILA more than I do, but the beat is annoying after a while. I know it's Madlib, but eh. Not a bad verse from Ye though.

I love everything about Famous except for Ye's first verse. Yeah, it's serviceable, but I wanted more from him on such a well produced song.

FML, Feedback and Real Friends are great. ULB is too, but mainly because of Chance.

It's still a really good album, but I can't help but feel disappointed by it.

chaislip3

Still loving this album. I'm hesitant to call it his best, because his discography is so fucking strong, but every song just clicks with me.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Listening to MBDTF again.

I fucking love Yeezus and really really like TLOP, but this is his masterpiece. What a fucking album.
Yep, after listening to TLOP over and over, I've settled on MBDTF still being his best. It's my personal all time favourite. TLOP is great, but MBDTF can't be touched.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MBDTF is pretty much untouchable if we're talking Ye's legacy.

Most influential publications, key hip-hop historians, the majority of Ye fans (I'm talking people who don't miss the old Kanye ad nauseum), and Ye himself acknowledge it's his magnum opus. Coming off of 808s at the time, I think it's pretty uncontroversial to think that MBDTF was the project that solidified him as not just a great artist but a legend, and put him square in that GOAT category, formerly reserved for lyricists only.

How can he do better than a pitch perfect dissection of his own character and journey through life thus far? Better than an album that reveals more and more about Ye as time passes and new events help you put pieces together that were in plain sight on MBDTF? Better than an album that sonically and thematically embodies the enigma that is Kanye West like nothing before or after? Even it's imperfections illustrate the album's narrative, and to top it off the ending couldn't be more perfect for Ye.

Don't give a fuck if Ye thinks it was Grammy-bait in retrospect, because regardless it produced his most comprehensive and representative work. MBDTF is Kanye embodied.

Gorillaz

Dark Twisted Fantasy over the years felt like Ye's answer to the "he doesn't have it anymore" crowd with how 808s was treated. Yea he always waves it off as if he needed to do it but yea I do think that solidified his career altogether.

Like he needed a Dark Twisted before going to Yeezus.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kanye prefers 808s and Yeezus over MBDTF, doesn't he?
Ye changes his mind on things. I think if you round up all of his opinions, he thinks MBDTF is him at his best (calling it "perfect" and his "glass ceiling" alongside Yeezus), and TCD and 808s are his most influential pieces of work. He just likes bringing 808s up because people gave him shit for it and it ended up being one of his most influential works, so he likes to rub it in alongside other things people doubted him for.

Ye changes his mind on things. I think if you round up all of his opinions, he thinks MBDTF is him at his best (calling it "perfect" and his "glass ceiling" alongside Yeezus), and TCD and 808s are his most influential pieces of work. He just likes bringing 808s up because people gave him shit for it and it ended up being one of his most influential works, so he likes to rub it in alongside other things people doubted him for.

lyrically it's pretty clear to me that he'll never top MBDTF. unless he gets the same people to help him write again i guess.

Moonkid

Yeah but where my LR bros at?
I used to put LR at the top but I've realized there is no definite best album for me. In any order, my top three is always My Beautiful, College Dropout, and Late Registration. 808s is in the middle, and the bottom three in any order is Graduation, Yeezus, and The Life of Pablo.

Twisted fantasy and To pimp a butterfly are my two favourite hip hop albums of all time ( not sure of the order) and just continue to demonstrate that hip hop is the most significant music genre of the last 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom