• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

zychi

Banned
Yup.

Its really easy to say Yeezus is more GAWD sounds, but he really took a step back. Sounds like he "hates" MBDTF, but I know what he means. In my own little way, when I produce a beat I love it- then a year later its just ehh- because you've moved on.

That stuff about minimalism and "reduced by" is so great.

MBDTF was Ye's attempt at AOTY at the Grammy's. He got snubbed, so I think he's making whatever the hell he wants to now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yup.

Its really easy to say Yeezus is more GAWD sounds, but he really took a step back. Sounds like he "hates" MBDTF, but I know what he means. In my own little way, when I produce a beat I love it- then a year later its just ehh- because you've moved on.

That stuff about minimalism and "reduced by" is so great.
Yeah, I think that extends beyond just what it's like musically though. MBDTF is probably the realest shit Ye's ever wrote but the notion of there being dishonesty in the honesty is a completely other perspective to take on the album, with the element of compromise across that. I think, in a way, it was Ye being more vulnerable than ever and that coming out in his music and he doesn't find comfort in that vulnerability looking back, because he thinks he should've held his ground.

To me, the vulnerability is exactly what makes the album so great and why I hold it in such high regard. It's really communicated well throughout the album. I don't think that narrative would have been possible without all the shit that went down in his life. Was watching the needledrop review for it the other day and I completely agree that if you care about Kanye a lot (whether that be in the form of love or hate or both) you'll get a lot more out of the album if you consider the context, otherwise it may seem a bit unremarkable. Maybe even manufactured.

Dragun619

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yeah. Well, I just don’t want to talk to America about my family. Like, this is my baby. This isn’t America’s baby.

I need to stop you right there Yeezy... You stick your dick in America's favorite sex trap and produce a kid? That kid is Americas from here on out.

DominoKid

MBDTF was Ye's attempt at AOTY at the Grammy's. He got snubbed, so I think he's making whatever the hell he wants to now.

if MBDTF couldn't get that AOTY Grammy then nothing he does will. it'd be some funny shit if Yeezus got it as a "yeah we fucked up last time" award though.

PBY

Banned
Great interview. I still don't understand why he thinks the grammy's are that important though.

I think he was kinda clear - he doesn't think the award itself is important, just some of the implications around why he hasn't won (read race)

Jitters

I think he was kinda clear - he doesn't think the award itself is important, just some of the implications around why he hasn't won (read race)
Well he does say he doesn't care about the grammy's , but he wants the statistics to more accurate. I feel like that is caring, you know?

cdyhybrid

Sounds like the only reason he cares about Grammies is because he feels that most people look to the Grammies to determine what the best music is. He feels like people won't even bother considering his stuff in the running for "the best" because he hasn't won a Grammy.

Ashhong

Great interview. I still don't understand why he thinks the grammy's are that important though.

He doesn't care about the award itself, just the recognition it brings. He doesn't want people to think other albums are better.

This is why I love ye

But has that instinct led you astray? Like the Taylor Swift interruption at the MTV Video Music Awards, things like that.

It’s only led me to complete awesomeness at all times. It’s only led me to awesome truth and awesomeness. Beauty, truth, awesomeness. That’s all it is.

Tempted to go into lockdown, media blockout mode fam. I am really excited for this, but with the interviews and the ridiculous posts of links to influences of influences of samples used in a live version of a song nobody has heard. I am just starting to irritate myself fam. And I am stating to get irritated at the hype but I know it's all part of the excitement.

But fam if I see one more Vine posted in a non-ironic way in this thread I may lose it. And we've got the whole weekend still to get through.

I'l close by saying that this thing with air raid/claxon siren thing is fuck-all awesome and I am really pumped for this stupid thing to drop. Then my pussy will start getting wet all over again for King Push.

Brinbe

But has that instinct led you astray? Like the Taylor Swift interruption at the MTV Video Music Awards, things like that.

It’s only led me to complete awesomeness at all times. It’s only led me to awesome truth and awesomeness. Beauty, truth, awesomeness. That’s all it is.
:jnc and that's why I <3 Yeezus

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Sounds like he realizes that MBDTF was shit. Makes me more excited for Yeezus.
HzeKeoy.gif

Stahp

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pretty sure Rosenberg is right about this album. If your coming here expecting MBDTF2, this album isn't for you. If your coming into this expecting LR/TCD, this album isn't for you. If your coming into this album expecting 808s, this album isn't for you. This is the status quo for every Ye album, but it needs to be said.

Mark my words this album will be one of Kanye's most hated projects. Tons of autotune, more divergent production than ever, the most unorthodox song formatting ever, etc.

MThanded

POS youtube and vine recordings are terrible.

Reminds me of when the episode of Whats Happening when rerun bootlegs the doobie brothers on a tape deck in his coat.

I imagine that shit sounds about the same as these leaked videos.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is going to be such a dope album. I'm so hype for racially charged, dance rap.

Every song sounds like a summer banger. Send It Up, Onsite, the CuDi song, the songs we've heard thus far. This album EXUDES energy. Even New Slaves has this sort of latent energy to it that flows through it.

And Rick Rubin executively producing this shit means it will only get better, it will be interesting how his conceptions of simplicity will mix with Kanye's composite production style. I have a feeling the changes we've heard on Black Skinhead are because of him stepping in. Which are awesome, by the way. Adds so much drama to the hook. Dat bass.

Fjordson

Yeah, Rubin working on this is cool.

I wonder if this shit will leak. And if not, will the physical release still be out on Tuesday.

MThanded

I have a feeling there will be no album for me to pick up on tuesday.

I'll be salty for sure.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I have a feeling there will be no album for me to pick up on tuesday.

I'll be salty for sure.

Yeezus will show you that having faith in the almighty gives you the strength to persevere even when in doubt of your future.

Kaizer

Banned

DominoKid

Kanye's never won a Grammy in a non-black category. That's what he's pissed about. Because let's be real that's what the rap (and r&b) awards are for.

Hell the music industry (Billboard) used to have straight out black music charts. The Grammy's aint any different. Don't let em fool you.

Kanye's keeping em honest by keeping it 100. Winning a Best Rap award don't mean shit.

Fjordson

Eh, Kanye just needs to make a better album imo. Outkast won album of the year for their last album. Ray Charles won it a few years back, same with Herbie Hancock in like '09.

solarus

Send it up makes me wild the fuck out, this album has so much energy I love it. I need to hear bound infull, those vine snippets that have been floating around sound great, on that note fuck vine (for live music anyway).

Fjordson

This will be it.
I do think this could be the one. From what I've heard at least.

Also, I didn't know MBDTF didn't even get nominated for AOTY. Looking at the records for the award on Wikipedia. That is a little messed up :lol even if I disliked it. I mean fucking "Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King" by Dave Matthews Band was nominated. Wow.

DominoKid

they nominate all types of garbage for AOTY. ex: that whole 2010 year was complete ass in that category (seriously go look) and OF COURSE Taylor Swift wins w/ her garbage. nah miss me w/ ALL of that. it's more politics, relevance and being in good favor than actually having the best album.

like Rap AOTY this year at the Grammys? GKMC. i don't even need to watch that shit.
then they'll give AOTY to the most milquetoast bullshit. i fucking hate the Grammys. at least the Billboard Awards are honest with what they're all about.

it's flatout comical that as a duo proper, the worst Outkast album won AOTY. you know Big and Dre had a laugh about that shit in private.

solarus

I liked this quote from the interview:
His records did used to say “reduced by Rick Rubin.
"For him, it’s really just inside of him. I’m still just a kid learning about minimalism, and he’s a master of it. It’s just really such a blessing, to be able to work with him. I want to say that after working with Rick, it humbled me to realize why I hadn’t — even though I produced “Watch the Throne”; even though I produced “Dark Fantasy” — why I hadn’t won Album of the Year yet.

This album is moments that I haven’t done before, like just my voice and drums. What people call a rant — but put it next to just a drumbeat, and it cuts to the level of, like, Run-D.M.C. or KRS-One. The last record I can remember — and I’m going to name records that you’ll think are cheesy — but like, J-Kwon, “Tipsy.” People would think that’s like a lower-quality, less intellectual form of hip-hop, but that’s always my No. 1. There’s no opera sounds on this new album, you know what I mean? It’s just like, super low-bit. I’m still, like, slightly a snob, but I completely removed my snob heaven songs; I just removed them altogether."

Top Bottom