• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

What possibilities is Kanye pushing? In hip-hop maybe, but not in general music, right? Nothing sounds new or even experimental from those two songs he released.

A lot of what he does is just pairing things you wouldn't expect to hear together, like a prog rock sample and an African-style chant (amongst other things), or Chief Keef and Bon Iver on hook duty on the same song. He often talks about the contrast between what's perceived as high art and what's more street art.

There's been, I think, a significant breakdown between "indie"/"pop"/"urban" channels in the past few years, with stuff like Channel Orange and GKMC being among the most acclaimed albums of last year even through publications that might have barely covered them a decade ago, and indie acts like How to Dress Well or Autre ne Veut taking so much from 80s and 90s RnB.

As that relates to Kanye, he's been working on that kind of breakdown since, I'd argue, Late Registration. Yeezus seems the most aggressive about it since 808s, and what I've heard (pretty much anything that's leaked) is notable as being experimental not just for being hip-hop but in general, but I also think that evolving the idea of what hip-hop can be in itself is significant.

6SUxOSe.png

let's not ever compare illmatic to a Kanye album ever again or you lose your right to talk about rap music forever

that video shouts out Rick Rubin but not Mike Dean? WTF

Heel

let's not ever compare illmatic to a Kanye album ever again or you lose your right to talk about rap music forever

Chief Keef is the next AZ, playboy.

Actually just making the point that a 10 track album in no way equals disappointment. I think it's kind of ridiculous that we're at the point in music where people complain that something hasn't leaked yet to be stolen, and are mad that an unmastered 1 minute leaked snippet of a song doesn't "bump on their macbook" or whatever someone said earlier...lol.

How about we wait until an album is out to decide how we feel about it?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
yesterday
@THEkarliehustle

Yeezus sighting. instagram.com/p/aZtMW1FIhP/

Standing in the dark for Kanye. Will he play the whole album?! #yeezus #NYC

Full Kanye album playing. Bass so heavy I had to put my headphones on. Yeezus is in the building. We are standing in a loading doc. #nyc

Kanye is rich and bored and gives no fucks. Super experimental album. #yeezus

I endorse this message. RT @Radamiz: @THEkarliehustle buying Ye and Cole's album, #atthesamedamntime

Pretty sure #yeezus would blow my mind if I was tripping on acid. Pero anyway. I no do teh drugs.

No shade my way. RT @DutchieFlair: @THEkarliehustle he just trying out shit it's what artist do right?

The #yeezus suffrage movement.

I'm going to walk away from this #yeezus listening party screaming fuck the world and your fake ass pleasantries.

I think if you play track number 7 off #yeezus backwards it says fuck everyone who does PR for anyone in 2013.

PR people are worse than lawyers for serial killers. Things I've learned since moving to NY. Y'all are the worst.

Hopefully I won't have to hire one of you to clean up these tweets.

Felt like 20. He's on the Frank Ocean Pyramids plan. RT @ElliottWilson: Does #Yeezus have ten joints?

Kanye is good though because he can use the Odd Future strategy where if you don't like it you're old or jaded or industry or dumb.

I need to give yeezus an at home listening. I need to go over all of the lyrics. Last night was so loud and distorted.

I think people were standing around perplexed and not sure how to receive the project. Like...do I like this? Should I pretend to? #halp

zychi

Banned
Check the source code for Kanyewest.com right now.

the video that plays is retardedly bad.

edit the html:
Code:
<!--
__/\\\________/\\\__/\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\__/\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\__/\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\__/\\\________/\\\_____/\\\\\\\\\\\___
 _\///\\\____/\\\/__\/\\\///////////__\/\\\///////////__\////////////\\\__\/\\\_______\/\\\___/\\\/////////\\\_
  ___\///\\\/\\\/____\/\\\_____________\/\\\_______________________/\\\/___\/\\\_______\/\\\__\//\\\______\///__
   _____\///\\\/______\/\\\\\\\\\\\_____\/\\\\\\\\\\\_____________/\\\/_____\/\\\_______\/\\\___\////\\\_________
    _______\/\\\_______\/\\\///////______\/\\\///////____________/\\\/_______\/\\\_______\/\\\______\////\\\______
     _______\/\\\_______\/\\\_____________\/\\\_________________/\\\/_________\/\\\_______\/\\\_________\////\\\___
      _______\/\\\_______\/\\\_____________\/\\\_______________/\\\/___________\//\\\______/\\\___/\\\______\//\\\__
       _______\/\\\_______\/\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\_\/\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\__/\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\__\///\\\\\\\\\/___\///\\\\\\\\\\\/___
        _______\///________\///////////////__\///////////////__\///////////////_____\/////////_______\///////////_____

kanyewest.com v.yeezus - builtbylane.com x davidbaker.tv x Spins.FM (email: requests@spins.fm) made in brooklyn
        &#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;&#8211;-->

Gorillaz

Either people are going to love it or hate the album, just off of snippets and the 2 tracks the album feels like some electronica soulish(?) shit

goodfella

lol at "real producer". smh at the pretentiousness and disrespect dripping from this post. you realize they probably collaborated right? Chop doing his drum thing. TNGHT doing their obnoxious synths.

HudMo used to be way better than this anyway.

Late reply:

Yeah you're not wrong, I worded that terribly, I remember having trouble thinking of a way to express what I meant.

I should have dropped the word 'progressive' rather than real. Not going to lie, I do listen to some of Sosa's tracks, but I would call the production pretty generic.

Another way of wording my post would be to say that, rather than being influenced by electronic production, or whatever the hot thing is, Kanye just says fuck it and straight up collaborates with the very people who's music is seeping into hiphop. The advantage of having that much clout in the industry I suppose.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I wonder how Death Grips feels about this. Id hope they wouldn't give a shit, but after checking out the video on his site, using that encarta looking rotating globe and the "projection" images, just feels like this is death grips language, but minus the crust.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I wonder how Death Grips feels about this. Id hope they wouldn't give a shit, but after checking out the video on his site, using that encarta looking rotating globe and the "projection" images, just feels like this is death grips language, but minus the crust.

MC Ride probably just huffin some more glue behind the K-Mart, he'll get by.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That interview is fantastic, I love everything about Kanye and how he's embraced himself and doesn't back down. MBDTF was brilliant, fuck the haters.

MThanded

GOOD Friday paired with MBDTF was some amazing stuff.

I hope he pulls another similar marketing approach in the future.

I always was hyped to hear the next track.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That youtube link from the KTT thread has a clear ass version of onsite. Sounds damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cEOod6vlMqo <- beginning of the video New Slaves vocals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cEOod6vlMqo#t=212s <- straight to the goods
Right before the timestamp Kanye says "this version of [Onsite] is by Daft Punk."

Aw yeah.

Never expected Daft Punk to have this large of a role with the album.

MThanded

So kanye has been playing various versions of the songs? Wonder what versions of the songs actually ended up on the album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So kanye has been playing various versions of the songs? Wonder what versions of the songs actually ended up on the album.
I think he said that because it might get changed with Rick Rubin coming in last minute. Kinda says it as a "just in case".

Black Skinhead underwent the most noticeable changes and New Slaves underwent minor changes from reports at the NYC listening party.

Top Bottom