• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

Esch

Banned
copy from GAF-HOP

Just finished it.

iw0qGaMjDc8t4.gif

I have to say, I think Kanye may have just constructed his best album yet. I usually bag on his music for being sonically and ideologically incoherent, but on this he really took it to a different level. He took the best part of his work since Graduation and synthesized it with sounds of the underground and mainstream. Not just in rap too. There are some moments on here that remind me of my favorite death metal albums from high school. This keys section on hold my liquor had me catching literal feels, reminded me of Windows from The Red in the Sky is Ours. I think Kanye really transcended rap with this album. My favorite track from MBTDF is Lost in the World, and I love that the lighter sections on this album evoke that otherworldly, ethereal symphonic feel that you would hear from some shit like Solar Fields or other ambient. The industrial sections are also pretty well done. To be honest, this album is sonically speaking right up my alley in every possible way. HE EVEN REMADE A C MURDER SONG. It's like he was listening to all my favorite classic electronic and metal music and synthesized it with his own music and the underground rap stuff pushing shit forward like TNGHT Death Grips, Shabazz, Killer Mike and El-P. The best part is he actually managed to compose songs with gradual compositional changes, natural evolution instead of the sophomoric, immature transitionless beat changes on all his post 808s work. This album is to me, a bonafide classic, the best Kanye album. And people are going to hate it.

5 mics.

Tokubetsu

copy from GAF-HOP

Just finished it.

iw0qGaMjDc8t4.gif

I have to say, I think Kanye may have just constructed his best album yet. I usually bag on his music for being sonically and ideologically incoherent, but on this he really took it to a different level. He took the best part of his work since Graduation and synthesized it with sounds of the underground and mainstream. Not just in rap too. There are some moments on here that remind me of my favorite death metal albums from high school. This keys section on hold my liquor had me catching literal feels, reminded me of Windows from The Red in the Sky is Ours. I think Kanye really transcended rap with this album. My favorite track from MBTDF is Lost in the World, and I love that the lighter sections on this album evoke that otherworldly, ethereal symphonic feel that you would hear from some shit like Solar Fields or other ambient. The industrial sections are also pretty well done. To be honest, this album is sonically speaking right up my alley in every possible way. HE EVEN REMADE A C MURDER SONG. It's like he was listening to all my favorite classic electronic and metal music and synthesized it with his own music and the underground rap stuff pushing shit forward like TNGHT Death Grips, Shabazz, Killer Mike and El-P. The best part is he actually managed to compose songs with gradual compositional changes, natural evolution instead of the sophomoric, immature transitionless beat changes on all his post 808s work. This album is to me, a bonafide classic, the best Kanye album. And people are going to hate it.

5 mics.

You know you made a classic when you got Eschaton open. bOUT TO HAVE SOME RATCHET NIGHTS TO "IM IN IT"

grkazan12

Yeah fam this is really good. It started I would say with Twisted Fantasy, but the dude has transcended the genre of Hip Hop and into something else that's unique and special. Not sure where this ranks when compared to his other albums, but it's pretty damn good and I love the very deep electronic sound on this album, Onsite sounds like it came from Tron Legacy.

The chords on I Can't Hold My Liquor

wNz5L.gif

Oozer3993

My (highly scientific, painstakingly researched) Yeezus review:

On Sight:

qpf7pw3.gif

Black Skinhead:

ibrueWdBgQJxXY.gif

I Am A God:

il7CMH9N9F1B7.gif

New Slaves:

iYUIlaQ6rTp2U.gif

Hold My Liquor:

ibnzDUZkmJVHjI.gif

I'm In It:

iSKh4O6MI92o7.gif

Blood On The Leaves:

ibcdttMoIz4J3S.gif

Guilt Trip:

iK14EmczK5V80.gif

Send It Up:

ib1cvPdQ9SEoiS.gif

Bound 2:

iQ2qvvlFCWZs.gif

Mononoke

Banned
I kind of feel it was a mistake for Ye to tackle on a more stripped down/raw album. Most tracks have a pretty basic electronic beat. Thing is, that puts more emphasis on Ye's lyrics. And Ye's lyrics have been pretty mediocre since Graduation. I mean they can be funny, but lol some of them are just plain bad.

At least MBDTF and WTT had a lot more going on from a production stand point. Was a lot more musical and interesting. And that's always really been just as important than the lyrics for Ye. Although this album does have some truly wonderful production moments. Bound 2 is just awesome. I dunno, just how I'm feeling. Seems like a lot of you on here love this album though and I respect that.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I kind of feel it was a mistake for Ye to tackle on a more stripped down/raw album. Most tracks have a pretty basic electronic beat. Thing is, that puts more emphasis on Ye's lyrics. And Ye's lyrics have been pretty mediocre since Graduation. I mean they can be funny, but lol some of them are just plain bad.

At least MBDTF and WTT had a lot more going on from a production stand point. Was a lot more musical and interesting. And that's always really been just as important than the lyrics for Ye. Although this album does have some truly wonderful production moments. Bound 2 is just awesome. I dunno, just how I'm feeling. Seems like a lot of you on here love this album though and I respect that.

I feel the exact same way.

808s is his best album for sure

I'm gonna listen to this when I get home and if Toku and esch are right....I shall later sit in silence and comprehend the magnitude of sound that just exited my headphones

...I don't know about this.

It's just noise.

i don't mind things being different and it's not like I don't have varying tastes (I listen to JRock for fucks sake) but this?

it's not easy to listen to at times...it's just noisy and unfocused at points...like there is no structure to most songs...it just goes from sound to sound at times with no consistency.

Like Send it up is fucking awesome..and then the end happens.

I don't hate it...but I don't know if I like it.

Mac won. Cole lost.

Esch

Banned
You know you made a classic when you got Eschaton open. bOUT TO HAVE SOME RATCHET NIGHTS TO "IM IN IT"

People don't really understand how ambitious this ish really is in that its a mainstream bigger budget album that tackles all the aspects of the underground that scares the average mcdonalds rap listener. I expect people to throw their preorders away, never listen to them again. This shit is too raw for them. I don't even give a fuck about the half baked message of this album. Sonically though, it's undeniably POWERFUL whether you like it or not. I haven't internalized a single lyric from this joint.

I salute Kanye for not only making a great album but trolling the fuck out of old dusty heads. Thabiz probably fuming right now.

HiResDes

...I don't know about this.

It's just noise.

i don't mind things being different and it's not like I don't have varying tastes (I listen to JRock for fucks sake) but this?

it's not easy to listen to at times...it's just noisy and unfocused at points...like there is no structure to most songs...it just goes from sound to sound at times with no consistency.

Like Send it up is fucking awesome..and then the end happens.

I don't hate it...but I don't know if I like it.

Mac won. Cole lost.

Not even close.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I would like Bound 2 more if the Charlie Wilson bit didn't cut abruptly and then come back and do it again, and instead closed out the entire album. Still dope tho.

I take it back. Send it up just bangs...end and all.

still feel like some songs are just messy tho.

Looking back on it...there are only two songs I just don't like tho... (I am God: dem scream are pretty awful and Onsite: I just....wat).

8/10 isn't bad at all....

it's just so.....wat is even

I don't know what this album is but I think I like it. It's like there was music, then the world ended, but a small part of humanity went to outer space and survived, then 4000 years later came back to an uninhabited earth, found the remains of various music and reconstructed it, and this is what they made. A mish-mash of our final days.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I expect to hear a lot of this shit in some EDM sets too.

Trap artists like gent and jawns take on the TNGHT tracks. We need this.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I don't know what this album is but I think I like it. It's like there was music, then the world ended, but a small part of humanity went to outer space and survived, then 4000 years later came back to an uninhabited earth, found the remains of various music and reconstructed it, and this is what they made. A mish-mash of our final days.

THIS IS ACCURATE

Fry

So...

1. Black Skinhead
2. New Slaves
3. I'm In It
4. Blood on The Leaves
5. On Sight
6. Bound 2
7. I Am A God
8. Hold My Liquor
9. Guilt Trip