• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

DiddyBop

The album seems to have mostly grown on me. I love it now. I guess I just had to take time to adjust my expeditions and I've fully embraced and accepted the album for what it is.

I still don't like on sight or send it up as much as the others, and guilt trip is just meh which is weird before it could fit perfectly on 808s and I loved that album. Overall I have to give it a solid 8.5.

genjiZERO

I've only listened to it once, but I'm not overly impressed. All he seems to do is say the N-word and talk about sex over and over. There doesn't seem to be much context or concept. The production is a little uneven too. I'll give it another couple of listens, but nothing seems to stick out to me.... It's very predictable.

MBDTF > Watch the Throne > Yeezus

Kendrick Lemar's album is still far and away the best concept post-rap album of the year.

RJT

I've only listened to it once, but I'm not overly impressed. All he seems to do is say the N-word and talk about sex over and over. There doesn't seem to be much context or concept. The production is a little uneven too. I'll give it another couple of listens, but nothing seems to stick out to me.... It's very predictable.

MBDTF > Watch the Throne > Yeezus

Kendrick Lemar's album is still far and away the best concept post-rap album of the year.

WTF does "post-rap" mean?

HiResDes

If Post-Rap exists, GKMC definitely is not it.

Dalek, Cities Aviv and Isiah Toothtaker would fit into that category much better.

Sullichin

Kanye is definitely a better producer than he is a rapper or lyricist. I don't think there's anything mindblowing about the production here though. I like New Slaves. I laughed at the 9.5 pitchfork review. I don't get it.

imBask

Banned
i'm pretty new around here and didn't mention Undun because I thought I was the only one who considered it a masterpiece

I love this place.

DominoKid

VICE: Everything Rick Rubin Cut from Yeezus

In interviews, Kanye made Yeezus out to be his embrace of minimalism. After years of learning how to do the most with more, he tried to do the most with as little as possible. And then he brought him rap minimalist godfather Rick Rubin to finish the job. In an exclusive interview, Rick Rubin walked us through everything he redacted from every track on Yeezus.

TRACK: On Sight
REMOVED: a bass drum, Mortal Kombat samples, the sound of Justice crying softly

TRACK: Black Skinhead
REMOVED: an extra six rounds of tape saturation, ambient noise from a minor league baseball game

TRACK: I Am A God
REMOVED: the invocation of Yahweh’s full name, launch codes, an atonal piano line played by Trent Reznor

TRACK: New Slaves
REMOVED: a Beatles sample, drums

TRACK: Hold My Liquor
REMOVED: additional vocals from Juice, Capital D and the dude from Iron and Wine

TRACK: I’m In It
REMOVED: ragtime piano, the “Think” break, swag

TRACK: Blood On The Leaves
REMOVED: Trapaholics drops

TRACK: Guilt Trip
REMOVED: bass solo by Victor Wooten, the sound of burning sage leaves, theramin

TRACK: Send It Up
REMOVED: percussion by Einstürzende Neubauten, clocks, wind

TRACK: Bound 2
REMOVED: nothing, although they opted not to use the take where Charlie Wilson’s soul briefly left this dimension

man, i wish i could get my money back. Not a single track had memorable lyrics, or beats, or flow at all!

it seemed like only 2 instruments were on at any single time, and kanye keeps harping about the same things. sex, women craving his penis, and people wanting a lot from him.

Soler

Banned
man, i wish i could get my money back. Not a single track had memorable lyrics, or beats, or flow at all!

it seemed like only 2 instruments were on at any single time, and kanye keeps harping about the same things. sex, women craving his penis, and people wanting a lot from him.
Think a little more about the lyrics if that's the only thing you can take put of it

DiddyBop

I really liked Charlie Wilson on Bound 2...hope his full verse leaks at some point

Edit: also Rubin may have ruined On sight, the beat feels like its lacking something.

Bowser

Yeah Kanye's discography is mostly consistent. Even if you don't like one album you could just as easily love another just cuz of how varied they tend to be.

Everything he's put out is worth listening to at least once...like you said, his discog is so varied that there's something for everyone really.

Top Bottom