• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

gonna go pick this album up right now, he go with that retarded ass cd case aka a release that looks like a burned cd?

kanye-west-yeezus1.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I love me some Charlamagne. He's got a point about the promo stuff, but the duality is sorta the point of the album, if there is a point to the album. He's a slave to both sides. And also he doesn't get the leaders and followers line either, and just makes some nonsense out of people quoting it. Everyone is following someone in some form or aspect. Point about the slaves is right though.. without context.

Charlamagne has been hating on Kanye lately though before the album came out, this is par for course.

What Hitler in a theater line? hmmm
I think the Hitler in a theatre line was removed for the final version of the song.

Infinite

I love me some Charlamagne. He's got a point about the promo stuff, but the duality is sorta the point of the album, if there is a point to the album. He's a slave to both sides. And also he doesn't get the leaders and followers line either, and just makes some nonsense out of people quoting it. Everyone is following someone in some form or aspect. Point about the slaves is right though.. without context..

That's debatable but I can understand why he said it

I love me some Charlamagne. He's got a point about the promo stuff, but the duality is sorta the point of the album, if there is a point to the album. He's a slave to both sides. And also he doesn't get the leaders and followers line either, and just makes some nonsense out of people quoting it. Everyone is following someone in some form or aspect. Point about the slaves is right though.. without context.

The thing I love about kanye is IMO he doesn't have these grand statements every album is trying to build upon, he's not trying to be a amazing social commentator, each album, each song is kanye's thoughts and feels at that moment. (and I think he picks up on the zeitgeist of the times)
All of us have times where we think one thing now and the opposite 10 minutes later. Kanye doesn't try to hide that and why even though I haven't experienced the things he raps about I can somehow get this relateablity from him I don't get with other rappers A lot of people get caught up in that kinda cognative dissonance and kanye just embraces it.

Infinite

I think he was going somewhere with it, I just don't think there's a better substitute word Ye should have used, that has the same power/emotion/most importantly contrast.

I personally interpreted as consumerism turning him and us into the 'new' slaves which isn't the first time I heard something like that.

PBY

Banned
I think the most succinct line is where he shows how "broke n*gga" and "rich n*gga" racism aren't that different.

Consumerism is just another link in another chain.

Well obviously. Why should you care is what I'm trying to ask. Do you like his music or don't you?
I mostly don't, and this is one of the reasons why. I feel the poor elements of his character bleed into his lyrics, his delivery, and it generally tends to rub me the wrong way.

It's honest which is why I like it.
That's totally understandable. With other artists, I've felt the same way. Specific to Ye though I tend to feel his seeming lack of genuine remorse or consistent self awareness outweighs this honesty. Again, just personal opinion. I get why his lack of filter could be appealing.

Guilt Trip is amazing. I won't be surprised if it picked as the next single. Now, are there going to be any film/music videos for this album?

RJT

Sorry if already posted.

According to the report, Kanye West's Yeezus will lead the way with 360,000-380,000 copies sold. As expected by many who projected earlier this month, J. Cole's Born Sinner follows with 270,000 to 290,000. Mac Miller trails with his latest offering, Watching Movies with the Sound Off, coming in third with approximately 100,000 copies sold.

Link

Surprised at Born Sinner, if true.

Definitely some good stuff here, I love how abrasive and weird he is willing to get.

That said, some of the hyperbolic over the top praise for it puzzles me. It's been that kinda year for records to me...MBV, QOTSA, Daft Punk, Boards of Canada...decent records, sure, but wildly overpraised to my ears.

Bowser

Sorry if already posted.

Link

Surprised at Born Sinner, if true.

In the runner-up slot on next week's Billboard 200 will likely be J. Cole's second album "Born Sinner," which has blown past early sales forecasts of 150,000 to 200,000. At the present, sources say it should sell 270,000 to 290,000 -- with 300,000 easily in reach. To compare, J. Cole's first album, 2011's "Cole World: The Sideline Story," opened at No. 1 with 217,000 sold.

Would be pretty impressive if Cole could match Kanye with a 3 handle (of course, I helped by picking up both albums)

solarus

Guilt Trip is 4 minutes but it feels like 2. I never want that song to end.
I thought it was just me.
Secretly it must be because I want more Cudi. His part on that song is the best thing he'a done in forever. Apparently, originally he did the hook for the song according to travis and it was amazing.

Swag

Listening to this album in the car on any volume other then max doesn't do it justice.

Black Skinhead and Blood on the Leaves :eek:bamasweat

solarus

Questlove's initial thoughts:
Okay, yeah, look…it’s gonna take like 4 weeks for the Yeezus record to sink in. I wish he would add more humor. I mean, the humor and the charm of Late Registration, this is why I hate sounding like the old guy. But, yeah, “Bound”. I hate the fact that he closed the Yeezus record with Bound. Which, is a song that sounded like it should have been on Late Registration.

Because now I have Bound on loop for 24 hours, which basically in some sort of half full/half empty way. Does that mean that I don’t like the 9 songs that came before it or do I like bound that much? I will say, I like Bound that much, but part of me wishes that the next albums would have more loops and you know, hip hop tradition, which I know he won’t do.”
I knew "Bound 2" would be the ultimate litmus test for people who long for the old Ye.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Questlove's initial thoughts:

I knew "Bound 2" would be the ultimate litmus test for people who long for the old Ye.
Quest kinda sounds like an old man yeah.. but Quest is one of the last people I'd expect these specific impressions from TBH.

solarus

Quest kinda sounds like an old man yeah.. but Quest is one of the last people I'd expect these specific impressions from TBH.
Same here, I would have thought he'd be more accepting of progressive new kanye,
EDIT: In that post I didn't mean I expected questlove to have those impressions, i was just saying that people who have Bound 2 as their standout and find the rest of the album pales in comparison to it most likely long for the old Ye.

Kaladin

While this album doesn't compare to Saul William's The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust!, it's a good album. I'm not normally a fan of modern hip hop but Kanye West does something different here, and for me it works in places.

Top Bottom