• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

KingKong

Flow? His flow is pretty varied and it ranges from bad to average just like his lyrics. It's definitely not as grating as his song writing. I'm arguing that people are wrong in saying his lyrical quality has declined when it wasn't high to begin with.

well for one, the lyrics aren't a huge focus on this album since it's not a typical rap album to begin with. second, I don't think you can say it wasn't very high if you listen to songs like All Falls Down or Get Em High or Gone

Of course on a song like Gone you can see what a difference a great flow/voice makes with how good Camron's verse is and how Consequence's fairly good lyrics just sound kind of corny

Nibel

sk8ZWTM.png

Who would have thought of that :lol

Let's not act like lyrically 1/2 of Yeezus isn't just complete fluff, this isn't 40 minutes of concentrated lyrical brilliance

some of the punch lines were cringe worthy

YEEZUS said:
It's too many hoes in this house of sin
Real nigga back in the house again
Black Timbs all on your couch again
Black dick all in your spouse again
And I know she like chocolate men
She got more niggas off than Cochran, huh?
tumblr_m1s07cjE5c1rshso8o1_400.gif

DominoKid

'The bible just wasn't wrote by Jesus,' Cyhi tells MTV News about Kanye's collective creative process for Yeezus.

Cyhi the Prynce built a reputation as a raw and capable lyricist even before he linked up with Kanye West and signed to G.O.O.D. Music, dropping mixtapes every year since 2010. This year has been relatively quiet for the Atlanta spitter, but his influence is being felt all across the world as fans begin to digest Kanye's boundary-pushing Yeezus.

"The biggest thing about Yeezus was just being there creatively," Cyhi told MTV News of his contributions to the LP, on which he receives writing credit for nine of the 10 tracks. "Send It Up" is the only track where he doesn't receive a credit.

"I'm just in there with him, keeping him up, keeping the environment in the room. That's like one of my jobs I feel like, because they ask me to do it," he said.

Cyhi said he has been a part of other Yeezy projects like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Watch the Throne with Jay-Z and, of course, last year's Cruel Summer compilation, where he rapped on two tracks.

While Cyhi lends a hand in crafting the rhymes, he stops way short of labeling himself as a ghost writer. It isn't that Kanye needs anyone to write his lyrics, but 'Ye likes to keep capable critics around him to help him edit his words, making sure that each verse is perfect. "We wrote a booklet of different things that could be put in here. The bible just wasn't wrote by Jesus. Inspirations came from everywhere that put this whole thing together," he explained.

In a recent New York Times interview, Kanye compared himself to Steve Jobs; Cyhi draws the same parallel. "One person wasn't in there making the iPhone; it was the whole company," he said comparing Yeezus to the revolutionary smartphone. "He likes to run everything like Apple."

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Guilt Trip is 4 minutes but it feels like 2. I never want that song to end.

I also like how on half of these samples/vocals on the album I have no idea wtf they're saying without checking Rap Genius but they're melodic enough to still give me an eargasm.

CWAWLING WUP YWOUR WUNCLES PWLACE

Justin Vernon >>>>>> *

EDIT: This album totally is the most dense in terms of quotable Ye punchlines, but overall it's pretty lacking to me in terms of, I don't know, verses that stick? Outside of New Slaves and Black Skinhead I guess. Album needs more burn but I feel like I'm gonna end up liking it a lot less over time. MBDTF really has put my expectations too high, I knew he couldn't surpass that. We probably won't get anything like that again.

Majmun

Just found out that a lot of tracks are produced by Daft Punk. Mindblowing. Such an amazing combo

And yeah, Yeezus>>RAM

Milchjon

After spending all day yesterday hating on it, I've been listening to it all day today :-/

Still don't think it's a great album, but it gets me pumped.

Ashhong

tumblr_licc1s0voD1qha8lao1_500.gif

this guy a writing credit on the first 5 songs. no bullshit. you guys should go dig up his album. it's pretty entertaining actually.

i would've loved to sit in on a session for this album. it seems like anybody who was even there for brainstorming got a little bread. i mean some of these cats w/ writing credits don't even make music.

Is this Farnsworth??? He had an album??? I've been waiting for music from him since one of the old GOOD mix tapes!

Guilt Trip is 4 minutes but it feels like 2. I never want that song to end.

I also like how on half of these samples/vocals on the album I have no idea wtf they're saying without checking Rap Genius but they're melodic enough to still give me an eargasm.

CWAWLING WUP YWOUR WUNCLES PWLACE

Justin Vernon >>>>>> *

EDIT: This album totally is the most dense in terms of quotable Ye punchlines, but overall it's pretty lacking to me in terms of, I don't know, verses that stick? Outside of New Slaves and Black Skinhead I guess. Album needs more burn but I feel like I'm gonna end up liking it a lot less over time. MBDTF really has put my expectations too high, I knew he couldn't surpass that. We probably won't get anything like that again.

thank the lord

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Kanye is the only person who can put Justin Vernon and Chief Keef on the same song and have it sound amazing.

Kanye is the only person who can put Justin Vernon and Chief Keef on the same song and have it sound amazing.

hold my liquor is so damn good. i just love justin vernons voice. he could be saying the most inane shit, itll sound amazing on a kanye track

solarus

Flow? His flow is pretty varied and it ranges from bad to average just like his lyrics. It's definitely not as grating as his song writing. I'm arguing that people are wrong in saying his lyrical quality has declined when it wasn't high to begin with.
It's definitely declined on this album, he was never some godly lyricist but the lyrics definitely took a backseat on this album. I've always liked his simple rhymes and cheesy lines, things he said always felt really personal, music was just a way to express his thoughts (which can often be stupid). He doesn't have much to say on this album that's worthwhile (on most tracks at least), it's just high energy, fuck everything music with godly production and that's fine with me. Albums is great.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It's definitely declined on this album, he was never some godly lyricist but the lyrics definitely took a backseat on this album. I've always liked his simple rhymes and cheesy lines, things he said always felt really personal, music was just a way to express his thoughts (which can often be stupid). He doesn't have much to say on this album that's worthwhile (on most tracks at least), it's just high energy, fuck everything music with godly production and that's fine with me. Albums is great.
I think it's pretty balanced for the most part. There are a good half of the album that I think has passable song writing on it. The other half as you said is just fuck everything. Not claiming the lyrics are good but for half of the album it's pretty passable. The songs I'm talking about are:

Black skinhead
New slaves
Blood on the leaves
guilt trip/hold my liquor

at least they somewhat try to tell a story or have some sort of meaning is what I'm getting at.

solarus

I think it's pretty balanced for the most part. There are a good half of the album that I think has passable song writing on it. The other half as you said is just fuck everything. Not claiming the lyrics are good but for half of the album it's pretty passable. The songs I'm talking about are:

Black skinhead
New slaves
Blood on the leaves
guilt trip/hold my liquor

*At least they somewhat try to tell a story or have some sort of meaning is what I'm getting at.
Yeah those are definitely the songs I was thinking about as the exceptions. I love the different vibe to this album and the approach he took, it's gonna be on heavy rotation while at the gym, wouldn't mind another high energy album like this but I don't think many of his fans could cope with that lol.

Ashhong

I was just listening to BS and about to post how these lyrics are pretty passable. Except for the 300 Romans bit, unless that's intentional. Who knows.

Top Bottom