• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - The Life of Pablo |OT2| I miss the OT1 Kanye.

Catvoca

Banned
Oh man, a Nas album full of Kanye beats would be insane.

Edit: Kanye tweets he promised Obama he'd do beats on Nas next album and it gets like 3 responses here? This thread is dying :(

//ARCANUM

Okay so Mike Dean tweeted El Chapo soon and El Pablo after

sDs3lgY.png

I think he's just making fun of the name of the current MAC OS: El Capitan.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Oh man, a Nas album full of Kanye beats would be insane.

Edit: Kanye tweets he promised Obama he'd do beats on Nas next album and it gets like 3 responses here? This thread is dying :(
He's really eaten himself alive with this release, hard for people to get excited and the hype to continue when he won't release it properly. It's a shame, and Tidal still has my $20 :(

Catvoca

Banned
Ya'll missed some minor twitter beef last night. Complex writer Emily Oberg was tweeting about Kendrick's new EP talking about how good it is when she wrote
"Kendrick is doing what Kanye thinks he is doing." https://mobile.twitter.com/EmilyeOberg/status/705776968734736386

Mike Dean, sensitive soul that he is, then responded "Is that right? You're the expert" followed by "Kendrick and kanye all doing big things. Why do people have to be sick arrogant pricks." https://mobile.twitter.com/therealmikedean/status/706209938201190400
Apparently he was dissing her on periscope too afterwards, calling her Emily Hoeberg and shit like that.

Dumb first tweet followed by Mike Dean responding with tasteful criticism
lol
Sorry for mobile links, not near a pc rn.

Pavaloo

Lol i read the 'Kendrick is doing what Kanye thinks he is doing.' Quote on my Facebook after his Grammy performance and it just made me laugh. Literally all liked and agreed by all white sophomore girls. People forget the first part of Kanyes career when he was super against gang culture, or his entire career him being a champion of racial issues, or they just tend to shut out anything he's saying now. There being a glass ceiling for people of color in his world is a big deal, but no one would know it if people like him weren't speaking out. "The Grammy's need future there not just me and jay in a suit" speaks volumes but it's easily overlooked. A lot of people will get worked up if you mention any racism fueling people's distain for the artist, but when I see a whole bunch of white folks be like "see why can't you be good like this one?" it just rubs me the wrong way. I think it was pretty telling that one of dead mow five's comebacks to kanye was something about finishing grade school and learning English.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lol i read the 'Kendrick is doing what Kanye thinks he is doing.' Quote on my Facebook after his Grammy performance and it just made me laugh. Literally all liked and agreed by all white sophomore girls. People forget the first part of Kanyes career when he was super against gang culture, or his entire career him being a champion of racial issues, or they just tend to shut out anything he's saying now. There being a glass ceiling for people of color in his world is a big deal, but no one would know it if people like him weren't speaking out. "The Grammy's need future there not just me and jay in a suit" speaks volumes but it's easily overlooked. A lot of people will get worked up if you mention any racism fueling people's distain for the artist, but when I see a whole bunch of white folks be like "see why can't you be good like this one?" it just rubs me the wrong way. I think it was pretty telling that one of dead mow five's comebacks to kanye was something about finishing grade school and learning English.
Basically Kendrick is looked at as one of the good ones by white people even though he says some of the realist shit in his music. But that's kanyes problem he's never just let his music speak for him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone who puts Kendrick above Ye in pretty much any respect besides raw lyrical ability is not worth entertaining. To the point of objectivity, even. You have to be woefully ignorant of everything Kanye has contributed to hip-hop culture, and to enable people like Kendrick, to do so.

Ye took heat in the public eye for years before people like Kendrick could so easily get on award stages and make strong political statements.

Kanye is your OG and will be respected as such.

Why is there a need to tear down Kanye to boost up Kendrick ? Both are my favorite artists right now and they both make great music IMO. They've even made tracks together and been on tour together. It's such a childish comparison to even make.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Why is there a need to tear down Kanye to boost up Kendrick ? Both are my favorite artists right now and they both make great music INO. They've even made tracks together and been on tour together. It's such a childish comparison to even make.
You're asking why a member of the media is tearing into Kanye to prompt up hiphops golden boy right now?

Catvoca

Banned
This might be the most enzo_gt post yet

Haha

Why is there a need to tear down Kanye to boost up Kendrick ? Both are my favorite artists right now and they both make great music IMO. They've even made tracks together and been on tour together. It's such a childish comparison to even make.

I wouldn't really call it tearing into, I saw it more as saying the social issues and points Kendrick is making through experimental music is what Kanye wishes he was doing. I disagree with her and that statement, but it's hardly tearing into Kanye. She's posted pictures of herself wearing a TLOP hoodie, she's obviously a big fan.

Basically Kendrick is looked at as one of the good ones by white people even though he says some of the realist shit in his music. But that's kanyes problem he's never just let his music speak for him.

Unfortunately the stuff Kendrick has said in The Blacker the Berry and elsewhere about black on black crime has made it really easy for naive white people to think of him as "one of the good ones". Him letting his music speak for him is a big part of this, in his music he can say real shit but because he's not that outspoken in interviews, he's not really a thread to white people if you know what I mean. He's not confident and in your face like Kanye, so he's easier to ignore. Add to it that he seems to live a pretty "moral" life, not drinking or smoking weed, been with the same girl for years, is very religious etc. and you get a picture of "one of the good" black people by racists. I'm saying this as someone who stans him pretty hard.

Slightly OT but I hate how often people ignore the first 2 verses of TBTB where he's super angry at white America. Like yeah, the ending somewhat re-contextualises what he's saying, but "I'm black as the heart of a fucking Aryan" is still some powerful shit. He wrote those lines before he even thought of the Trayvon ending as well.

Based on the lyrical content of tpab and the Grammy performance, I wouldn't have thought that he would be regarded as one of the 'good ones' to white people.

Catvoca

Banned
Is The Black The Better's ending really about black-on-black crime? I've heard quite a few interpretations of it.

Sort of, or at least it can be seen as him saying that he's a hypocrite because he hasn't grieved as much over the violence he caused in his community or the black people that die every day where he's from as he has for Treyvon Martin. I think that widely criticised quote he gave when talking about the song where he said "How are they meant to respect us when we don't respect ourselves" or something like that played into this idea of respectability politics. Obviously those final lines are way more complicated then this and certainly have multiple interpretations, but a very surface level analysis + that quote could lead to one thinking he's saying "what about black on black crime tho".

Man, all Ye gotta do is just drop those 40 tracks he supposedly said he got with Kendrick. lol

Lol, Ye can put this all to bed by letting us eat.

I wouldn't really call it tearing into, I saw it more as saying the social issues and points Kendrick is making through experimental music is what Kanye wishes he was doing. I disagree with her and that statement, but it's hardly tearing into Kanye. She's posted pictures of herself wearing a TLOP hoodie, she's obviously a big fan.

Yeah Its just their goals are completely different in their music to even make a comparison.

Ashhong

You guys are crazy if you think any of the general public actually pay attention to what political stances Kendrick takes in his songs. Like, I can guarantee you that the majority of the people that saw his Grammy performance just thought it was a cool performance. Nobody looks deep into his lyrics or his messages. They just think he makes good shit and raps well. That's why he's "one of the good ones".

Bronx-Man

Banned
DON'T FUCK WITH ME ON THIS.

DRAKE, BJORK, KANYE? WHAT THE FUCK. THIS SOUNDS SO BATSHIT INSANE, IT HAS TO BE REAL.

MAN, THE ULTIMATE CUT TO WOLVES WILL BE "Wolves (feat. Sia, Vic Mensa, Frank Ocean, Drake, and Bjork).
That cut would have to be like at least seven minutes long :whew:

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
lol and we all thought we were finally going to eat when we got that CDQ Wolves for the first time after SNL.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Final version of Wolves will be longer than the rest of the album combined.

Curious to what Drake would add to Wolves.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Fuck it we should get at least one artist from every genre of music (except fucking country) for a 27 minute super track of Wolves.

Dragun619

Wow, that is quite something.

Didn't think I'd ever hear Bjork on a track with Ye, Drake, Frank Ocean, Vic Mensa, and Sia, but damn. Hope this shit is legit.

Fuck, didn't even think Ye knew who Bjork is. lol, Man, that might means I might one day hear a real Thom Yorke and Kanye track together, not counting that CRS track.

Top Bottom