• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kasowitz (Trumps lawyer) Hit With Ethics Complaints in NY, DC Over White House Advice

Tovarisc

Marc Kasowitz, President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer, is facing two ethics complaints with the New York and Washington, D.C., bars over his reported advice to White House staffers.

Both complaints cite an article in The New York Times on Sunday reporting that Kasowitz advised White House staff that it was “not yet necessary” for the president’s aides to hire their own lawyers, amid investigations by Congress and special counsel Robert Mueller into whether members of the Trump campaign colluded with Russia.

The ethics complaints contend Kasowitz, managing partner of Kasowitz Benson Torres, violated attorney ethics rules in New York and Washington by giving such advice to unrepresented individuals.

Mark Corallo, a spokesman for Kasowitz, said in statement that the ethics complaints are meritless, calling them “obviously politically motivated complaints based on press reports, which were based on anonymous sources.”
The watchdog group behind Thursday’s complaint in Washington argues that Kasowitz appears to have run afoul of two ethics rules.

First, because he is not a member of the D.C. bar, the group says, “by offering aids the legal advice not to retain counsel, it appears Mr. Kasowitz engaged in the unauthorized practice of law.”

The group cites further ethics rules providing that a lawyer should not give advice to unrepresented people other than the advice to secure counsel if their interests are or could be in conflict with the lawyer’s client.
Goldfarb’s letter to the New York disciplinary committee said New York ethics rules expressly treat advice on retaining personal counsel “as itself constituting legal advice.”

Kasowitz violated another New York ethics rule related to communications with people who are represented by counsel, Goldfarb’s complaint asserts. Goldfarb contends Kasowitz’s communications affected the “institutional interests of the White House,” represented by the White House Counsel’s Office.

“Mr. Kasowitz’s end run around the White House Counsel’s Office represented not only a violation of the Rules of Professional Conduct, but a serious departure from past White House practice,” Goldfarb wrote.
Source: http://www.law.com/sites/almstaff/2...r-white-house-advice/?slreturn=20170516150830

I thought I told you that we won't stop

Kensation

895000781_o.gif

KoopaTheCasual

Eh, doesn't seem like they can slap him with much, when the news reports are anonymously sourced and not public on the record statements.

Boneheaded of him, but don't think it's going to land him in fire. He'll probably take this as a warning shot, and probably be much less vocal around White House staff.

Got

Banned
these dumb motherfuckers just can't help but be incompetent. No wonder they work for trump. Everyone associated with him is a jackass, even his dumbass supporters. Dodo birds didn't die out they just evolved into these motherfuckers.

Snwaters

You know guys, maybe it's just me, and I could be wrong, but is anyone else getting the impression that President Trump seems to consistently surround himself with shady characters of dubious morality? I'm starting to think that maybe Trump himself might be involved in dubious business. It's the damnedest thing.

Christian

The absolute worst thing Trump could ever do was willingly shine the international spotlight on himself, his family, and all of his dirtbag associates. Hilarious. What a fucking clown.

GhaleonEB

Raising chickens has been an interesting experience. It really contextualized the phrase, "birds of a feather flock together" for me. They really stick together and act quite similarly.

This appears to apply to corrupt dipshits as well.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I'm starting to think this administration is all just a big ploy to employ lawyers.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Two clear violations as mentioned in the article.

Legal advice when not a a lawyer in DC.
Telling people to not get lawyer when it's a clear conflict of interest with his client.

Keep all this shit piling up. Don't let this administration do anything. Bury them under their own incompetence.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Two clear violations as mentioned in the article.

Legal advice when not a a lawyer in DC.
Telling people to not get lawyer when it's a clear conflict of interest with his client.

Keep all this shit piling up. Don't let this administration do anything. Bury them under their own incompetence.

I called this out in another thread a few days ago. Absolutely OUTRAGEOUS behavior. Basically telling them to act like nothing's wrong and subject themselves to legal jeopardy.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Raising chickens has been an interesting experience. It really contextualized the phrase, "birds of a feather flock together" for me. They really stick together and act quite similarly.

LOL, I was wondering where you were going with this.

I thought this guy was supposed to be a respected lawyer?

Where did you hear that? Not a single reputable firm took the offer to represent Trump they want nothing to do with him so he called up his sleezeball mob consigliere wannabe lawyer he's been using for years. He doesn't even have a good track record at defending Trump either. Trump just keeps him around because he's a loud prick like him that loves to stroke Trumps ego and makes a paycheck out of it.

I called this out in another thread a few days ago. Absolutely OUTRAGEOUS behavior. Basically telling them to act like nothing's wrong and subject themselves to legal jeopardy.

Just astonishing.

So not only not in the DC bar, but advising people not to lawyer up. Only the best reserved for the President....

You know guys, maybe it's just me, and I could be wrong, but is anyone else getting the impression that President Trump seems to consistently surround himself with shady characters of dubious morality? I'm starting to think that maybe Trump himself might be involved in dubious business. It's the damnedest thing.

"None of my colleagues did ANYTHING wrong! Total witchhunt by the dems! And if they did it's not like the dems haven't done the same??"

Why the hell would be even tell anyone in the administration to delay hiring an attorney? It downplays the severity of the information those people have (which makes them more reckless). Them hiring their own lawyer can only help Trump keep things quiet.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

In my experience assholes often attract other assholes and even flock to them. They might not even get along with one another but being an asshole tends to put most normal people off from dealing with your shit and thus you tend to gravitate to others with similar shitty attitudes and what not.

thill1985

Banned
Regardless of norms or ethics rules, it seems sketchy for Trump's lawyer to tell folks lower in the food chain not to worry about getting their own legal counsel yet.

Pence hired a good one with relevant experience. Perhaps you were thinking of that?Trumps personal lawyer is shady as hell.

Not just him Trump's council lawyer also lawyered up today all this after Trump's clown lawyer expressed that "we won" after the Comey hearing, bought cigars to pass out at the White House to celebrate, told everyone Trump was vindicated and then told White House staff they didn't need to lawyer up as if somehow everything was just going to blow over. This guy is in over his head bigly.

The top 100 respected lawyers don't want to represent Trump

Kasowitz is like in the 1000th bracket of lawyers

I knew this

Where did you hear that? Not a single reputable firm took the offer to represent Trump they want nothing to do with him so he called up his sleezeball mob consigliere wannabe lawyer he's been using for years. He doesn't even have a good track record at defending Trump either. Trump just keeps him around because he's a loud prick like him that loves to stroke Trumps ego and makes a paycheck out of it.

But not this. I don't remember where I heard or read that he was respected, but upon further review it seems I'm misremembering things

Pence hired a good one with relevant experience. Perhaps you were thinking of that?Trumps personal lawyer is shady as hell.

I don't think so. It's probably from listening to right wing radio to see what the opposition is thinking

Top Bottom