• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Metrotab

Banned
Where do you live/work that you can buy Pocky? Also where might I converse with you fine folk in the future seeing as KS-GAF is all but dead?

Pocky is a widespread product here, although it's called Mikado instead.

4096.jpg

Metrotab

Banned
I actually wish there was a vibrant community to discuss VNs out there, but most of them are filled with ridiculous elitists. I can understand that such communities don't really like talking about the same entry VNs over and over again, but there isn't enough of an influx of fans to the medium that there are fellow newcomers to interact with.

Jintor

well, they also don't really generate anything new every time because the play experience doesn't change

it's like having a community around a book. 's a book

Jintor

that community's not really about a book, it's more about a shared idea of a superior being whose whims can be interpreted on a moment to moment basis according to a book

LttP: Played this game over the last few months, with a few weeks of break after each girl.

It was my first visual novel. Only stumbled upon it by accident here on GAF, read it was free and gave it a try without any expectations.

Turned out to be a lucky coincidence, as I really enjoyed it! I won't go too much into detail here as most was already said in this thread, but I especially loved the writing, the setting, the music and the general atmosphere. The character art style was a bit too exaggerated for me at first but I grew accustomed to it over time. In a way it saddens me a bit that this free hobby-project has better writing and got me more emotionally attached to than the vast majority of commercial big budget games.

As for a ranking of which stories I liked the best, it's not all that easy to decide. It's probably a bit influenced by the order in which I played them, as the first ones were naturally more surprising with me not knowing the music or pictures that well.
I played it in this order:
Hanako -> Emi -> Shizune -> Lilly -> Rin.
And my ranking would be:
Hanako (by some margin the most emotional for me) > Emi = Lilly > Rin (interesting, but not as enjoyable if you know what I mean ;)) > Shizune

Overall, a truly recommendable game.

Retne

Next thing you need to do is read this thread start to finish!

Also after sinking a great amount of time into GW2 I have to say KS is definitely my GOTY. While GW2 has been great at keeping me preoccupied and introduced me to new fun people KS left me on the floor after each playthrough.

I think I will do another playthrough. I really need to complete Rin's path. I stopped halfway through because I rode in a little too hot off of Lily's path and never went back.

It also makes me pretty happy you guys post in here occasionally. While I may not post much I enjoy this thread and will be sad when it breathes it's last.

abusori

I think it's pretty cool that people are still discovering this on GAF and enjoying it. Katawa Shoujo itself has really opened a lot of people up to the visual novel genre and it's great to see.

As for me, the game stuck a chord with me during a particularly chaotic time in my life, and to risk sounding dramatic (well, it's less a risk than assured), a certain route reminded me why I am who I am. I'm not leaving the game behind; thanks to the memories it holds it's gonna be something I'm still replaying ages from now. Just like some great books I've read a million times.

Katawa Shoujo itself has really opened a lot of people up to the visual novel genre and it's great to see.

For me it wasn't a big step though, as I like playing P&C adventures.

I know this question has probably been asked several times in this thread, but maybe it won't hurt if ask again (as long as I don't get kicked out of the thread because of that ;)):
Which other VNs are recommendable?

Metrotab

Banned
For me it wasn't a big step though, as I like playing P&C adventures.

I know this question has probably been asked several times in this thread, but maybe it won't hurt if ask again (as long as I don't get kicked out of the thread because of that ;)):
Which other VNs are recommendable?

I'm pretty new to Visual Novels myself, here's a very nice chart I've found:
http://i.imgur.com/rRLVl.jpg

I'm intending on working through that one myself.

Allow me to add one on my own accord, and that's Kanon. If you can get over the character design (not for everyone really), it's a very nice collection of stories, similar to fairy tales. It also has that nice winter atmosphere (accompanied with a great soundtrack) which is very fitting for this period of the year. It's also not very long, per route, and not very complex choices to make.

A recently translated VN which is highly acclaimed is Little Busters! but I don't know if it's good for newcomers to the genre.

I'm pretty new to Visual Novels myself, here's a very nice chart I've found:
http://i.imgur.com/rRLVl.jpg

I'm intending on working through that one myself.

Allow me to add one on my own accord, and that's Kanon. If you can get over the character design (not for everyone really), it's a very nice collection of stories, similar to fairy tales. It also has that nice winter atmosphere (accompanied with a great soundtrack) which is very fitting for this period of the year. It's also not very long, per route, and not very complex choices to make.

A recently translated VN which is highly acclaimed is Little Busters! but I don't know if it's good for newcomers to the genre.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

Jintor

So 4LeafStudios is posting their christmas gifts secret santa exchanges today and today's is preeeeeeeeetty gooooooooooooooood

I love this site

QuGn3.png

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh man, that was good.
LttP: Played this game over the last few months, with a few weeks of break after each girl.

It was my first visual novel. Only stumbled upon it by accident here on GAF, read it was free and gave it a try without any expectations.

Turned out to be a lucky coincidence, as I really enjoyed it! I won't go too much into detail here as most was already said in this thread, but I especially loved the writing, the setting, the music and the general atmosphere. The character art style was a bit too exaggerated for me at first but I grew accustomed to it over time. In a way it saddens me a bit that this free hobby-project has better writing and got me more emotionally attached to than the vast majority of commercial big budget games.

As for a ranking of which stories I liked the best, it's not all that easy to decide. It's probably a bit influenced by the order in which I played them, as the first ones were naturally more surprising with me not knowing the music or pictures that well.
I played it in this order:
Hanako -> Emi -> Shizune -> Lilly -> Rin.
And my ranking would be:
Hanako (by some margin the most emotional for me) > Emi = Lilly > Rin (interesting, but not as enjoyable if you know what I mean ;)) > Shizune

Overall, a truly recommendable game.
You Good Sir, are ok in my books

So 4LeafStudios is posting their christmas gifts secret santa exchanges today and today's is preeeeeeeeetty gooooooooooooooood
I was up at my school computer (my desktop is currently dead), and I've never alt+f4'd so fast in my life. I didn't realize they could be so risque, haha.

I should probably try to draw some of the KS cast again. The secret santa stuff is really reminding me how fun it was to draw them.
Still need to do a proper Kenji drawing.

Metrotab

Banned
I reached Act II of Shizune's route. Heard this is the worst one, but the Student Council is so entertaining I can't see how this can become boring.

McNum

I reached Act II of Shizune's route. Heard this is the worst one, but the Student Council is so entertaining I can't see how this can become boring.
It's alright, but try counting how many choices you get in Act II. That's my beef with it, at least.

Yeah, I really like Shizune and Misha as characters, I just wish her story was handled a little better, basically because of what McNum said.

I had better see you guys putting in some votes for this game come GAF's GOTY. I dunno bout you all, but it's still the only game I've played all year that's left a lasting impression

Jintor

I was up at my school computer (my desktop is currently dead), and I've never alt+f4'd so fast in my life. I didn't realize they could be so risque, haha.

I should probably try to draw some of the KS cast again. The secret santa stuff is really reminding me how fun it was to draw them.
Still need to do a proper Kenji drawing.

lol, i figured anyone clicking links in the KS thread knew better than to do it at work or at school

Metrotab

Banned
The only two other games of this year that came close was Chivalry (amazing multiplayer fun) and
MGQ2

So I'll probably throw in my vote for KS. Got me started on VNs and anime, which are two new media I discovered and am enjoying very much.

McNum

I had better see you guys putting in some votes for this game come GAF's GOTY. I dunno bout you all, but it's still the only game I've played all year that's left a lasting impression
Katawa Shoujo will be on my list for sure. I've been compulsive enough to compile a list over the year instead of having to remember the good games from early 2012 here at the end of the year. It's getting either a second or third place for me, still picking out the order. It's not beating XCOM, but it may just beat Kid Icarus Uprising.

Which is rather impressive for a free game in a genre I didn't care about before.

I've probably only played like 10 games total this year that I can remember, so by default it would be on my list. lol
Though it will definitely be high on the list.

Jan. 4th I believe it was. Amazing how fast the time went by.

Just got done with TWD. Man... That was heavy stuff even if it did completely rip off
The Road
for its ending. Very memorable way to end it though. My hat is off to Telltale and the writing staff

Top Bottom