• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So Mikeinel did an interesting commission piece. Someone asked him to illustrate an image whereby the story is fake, Hisao is still in a coma, and the girl from the beginning never stopped visiting him. The idea being that Hisao creates the story of KS in his head from things the girl tells him during her visits.

Not canon, obviously, but I thought I'd share his work anyway 'cause he's pretty awesome. :3

http://mikeinel.deviantart.com/art/It-Was-All-A-Dream-343188852

ks_secretsanta_layers_by_mikeinel-d5obq7o.gif

Don't take this as a slight against your tastes, RurouniZel, but am I the only one that really doesn't like Mikeinel's work? His images are always smothered in unnecessary glows/effects junk. I'm sure it's to achieve some sort of animeish look he has a fondness for, but it just feels like way too much. I don't know, it always bothers me.

Also, gosh dang it, brush script font. Don't use that, people!

Jintor

I'm not really a fan either

I guess I'll replay KS on Jan 4th. But which girl to go to? I feel indebted to Emi, I'm still running regularly a year later...

RedSwirl

So I just read up on the history of this game. Did Raita ever actually become aware that someone made a whole game based on his art?

Raita needs to make a Katawa Shoujo doujin.
Don't take this as a slight against your tastes, RurouniZel, but am I the only one that really doesn't like Mikeinel's work? His images are always smothered in unnecessary glows/effects junk. I'm sure it's to achieve some sort of animeish look he has a fondness for, but it just feels like way too much. I don't know, it always bothers me.

Also, gosh dang it, brush script font. Don't use that, people!

Yeah, sometimes the effects are just too much, I prefer his stuff when it doesn't have a bunch of them all dumped on top.
amXQx.jpg

I'm not really a fan either

I guess I'll replay KS on Jan 4th. But which girl to go to? I feel indebted to Emi, I'm still running regularly a year later...

Hey Jinty, you have a link to the Running routine. Might try it out as my laziness is getting out of hand. I could also use the exercise as well.

It's just a couch to 5k, the program's pretty standard. Still using Emi's stretches at the front though but I've been varying the program

http://i.imgur.com/EdSRs.png

http://i.imgur.com/vf7Kh.jpg
Decided to finally commit to starting up running for the first time in... close to ten years maybe? It's been a really long time, however long it's been. Decided to follow this chart for the start of it, since it seemed pretty reasonable.

It felt good! I'm not overweight at all, but I'm very much out of shape. The most exercise I get are two solid 15 minute walks every day going to class and back. I think that must have helped prep me some, since I wasn't feeling too bad by the end of the first session. I might try to go longer tomorrow, if I'm feeling up to it, but we'll see.
I do stretches and pushups/situps generally every night, and most of the stretches recommended were things I already did, so that part was easy, haha.

Metrotab

Banned
Is that Miki?

Anyway, I'm in Act 3 of Shizune's route now. I know it's not very appropriate for a VN route to not have choices at all like Act 2 did, but the writing is so damn enjoyable I really don't care. The Student Council is definitely an entertaining duo, and Jigoro is so over-the-top it becomes funny. Especially because that Instafeels video makes me imagine him having Jecht's voice.

Sweet fancy moses! Wasn't expecting that.

am I wrong for picking Lilly as first waifu
SO VERY WRONG

Every path has something to like about it, so don't fret over doing the crowd favorite first.

Is that Miki?

Anyway, I'm in Act 3 of Shizune's route now. I know it's not very appropriate for a VN route to not have choices at all like Act 2 did, but the writing is so damn enjoyable I really don't care. The Student Council is definitely an entertaining duo, and Jigoro is so over-the-top it becomes funny. Especially because that Instafeels video makes me imagine him having Jecht's voice.
Yeah! Another Shizune route appreciator! Welcome to the club, sir.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sweet fancy moses! Wasn't expecting that.

SO VERY WRONG

Every path has something to like about it, so don't fret over doing the crowd favorite first.

Yeah! Another Shizune route appreciator! Welcome to the club, sir.

I got no clue who the favorite is, I just picked the leggy blonde.

Edit: Finished Lilly's route. The feels.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Doing the Emi route now. Not so much feels so far, but
hey what do you know buttsex

Edit: Take that back, the feels are coming on strong

Angry Grimace

Shizune Route: This is deadly tedious. Jigoro was like the only even vaguely interesting thing to occur so far. I even intentionally triggered the bad ending and he's not even mentioning that he did it. I've gotten into Act 4 and honestly it's just a really uninteresting, dragging storyline, and even assuming feels pop up later, its too little too late, really. The underlying conflict is just so meaningless and poorly explored.

Finished route. I pretty much glazed my eyes over for 2 hours I can't get back in order to get through this fucking route. Utter shite. Nothing happened. I even tried both endings to see if it was any different and it decidedly wasn't. The conflict was just so mundane and paced so terribly. You had to trudge through literal hours of pointless encounters and trivial nonsense to even figure out what the drama was about and it wasn't even a huge deal, just some typical school kid angst.

Angry Grimace

Entered Act IV of Shizune's route. This is going much better than I anticipated from all the anti-hype.

I was honestly baffled at how much worse the writing was in Shizune's route vs. either Lilly's or Emi's. (I know, I picked waifus in the most obvious order ever). I guess I just felt like Act III in particular started to really drag in terms of stuff going on, although Jigoro was hilarious (although so over the top there's no way he could have feasibly had an impact on the plot).

I felt Shizune's route suffered from writing issues and too many side characters. It should have been more about her character, but it felt too unfocused. I still liked her route, though, since it explored the dynamics more of her and Misha's relationship than any other path.

Angry Grimace

I felt Shizune's route suffered from writing issues and too many side characters. It should have been more about her character, but it felt too unfocused. I still liked her route, though, since it explored the dynamics more of her and Misha's relationship than any other path.

The problem was that the pacing was so atrocious that I stopped being interested in their personal problems pretty soon into Act 3 due to a number of superflous events that didn't seem to explore anything about the characters that was particularly relevant. I think the point of the route was that Hisao himself had very little to do with what was going on (i.e. he pretty much sat back and let Misha/Shizune resolve their plot stuff), but having the protaganist play a mostly observer role didn't seem to work that well due to writing.

I don't really remember the pacing so much at this point, but I just remember many of the characters all feeling a little too off from the way they were written in the rest of the paths. They were almost caricatures of themselves at times (which is really saying something, considering some of the personalities in the game), and it was really grating to sit through. At least, that was one of the major complaints I had with Shizune's route.

Angry Grimace

I don't really remember the pacing so much at this point, but I just remember many of the characters all feeling a little too off from the way they were written in the rest of the paths. They were almost caricatures of themselves at times (which is really saying something, considering some of the personalities in the game), and it was really grating to sit through. At least, that was one of the major complaints I had with Shizune's route.

I got the feeling they struggled to come up with a coherent character arc for Shizune that didn't tread the same paths as the arcs they did for the other characters.

The main problem with Shizune's route for me is that I came out of it still not particularly liking her character, I never felt like I built up any bond with her, her need to "win" all the time and her competitive nature felt like an element that would be related to to her hilariously absurd dad and that Hisao would use his powers of change to tone her sort of exaggerated aggressive streak down but I don't remember anything coming of it, as per all things that involve the student council duo I much prefer Misha's role and character.
so basically bad end was the best end

Ultimately it feels weaker than every other route by a rather noticeable margin.

Metrotab

Banned
Just finished Shizune's route. I think it was good. It wasn't an emotional tour de force like the others, nor was it very VN-like, but it had this lightweight quality to it, all the way to the end. It's a pretty subdued route, with smaller emotions, smaller development and ultimately a smaller, unassuming conclusion. This route also doesn't follow the standard utsuge sonata form, but you were more a third piece in a drama between two other characters. I don't have a problem with that, really.

I also found it the most comedically entertaining of the route, as I enjoyed the Student Council banter, Jigoro's character and above all, the many Kenji interpellations. Especially when he's overhearing your conversation with Shizune.

Fine route, and I'm happy I did it.

I kept Rin's for last, but I'm gonna read the Planetarian and do a first attempt at Little Busters before coming back to Katawa Shoujo.

Angry Grimace

Halfway through Rin's route and this is much, much better than the Shizune route. Not nearly as syrupy and straightforward as either Emi or Lilly's and I rather enjoy Hisao's personality being less generically can-do in this route than in those other routes.

Angry Grimace

Rin route complete. Too many feels for one day. The route was actually kind of depressing enough I didn't have the heart to even do the bad endings (I typically just do the bad ending first since its generally the last option that gives you the choice of choosing it). As I thought, some of the dialogue was a bit difficult to follow, but I guess that's to be expected on this route.

Only have Hanako route left, which I guess I'll do tomorrow. In retrospect, I don't think doing the Lilly route first is the best idea.

Top Bottom