• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

abusori

Combing me and Rin would probably distort reality though.

Gattai da!

e7YRC.gif

Alastor

I've finally played this! I knew nothing about Katawa Shoujo except it's free and it's supposedly good, but nothing could've prepared me for this ride...

It's better than good, it's awesome. At the beginning, I've been just picking dialog choices without a clean vision of a "path". A couple of hours later, on the meadow full of dandelions, Rin confessed her love to me.

That was really beautiful :\ Now I'm searching for artworks online, not sure if I want to do another playtrough. Rin is all that I need now.

Any similar VN games to this one? Like, not focused on ero and with good writing?

Shit, I need a girlfriend.

XeroSauce

I've finally played this! I knew nothing about Katawa Shoujo except it's free and it's supposedly good, but nothing could've prepared me for this ride...

It's better than good, it's awesome. At the beginning, I've been just picking dialog choices without a clean vision of a "path". A couple of hours later, on the meadow full of dandelions, Rin confessed her love to me.

That was really beautiful :\ Now I'm searching for artworks online, not sure if I want to do another playtrough. Rin is all that I need now.

Any similar VN games to this one? Like, not focused on ero and with good writing?

I'm not an expert on other VNs, but I can tell yo this: Don't pull a Billie, play all the other routes. They are completely worth it. I thought the same as you after Lilly, but I kept going and the feels, mate. The feels.

Emitan

I'm not an expert on other VNs, but I can tell yo this: Don't pull a Billie, play all the other routes. They are completely worth it. I thought the same as you after Lilly, but I kept going and the feels, mate. The feels.
I've played two routes :T

I'll play the rest eventually

Short words on the two most genre-similar I've played since Katawa Shoujo.

Kanon: Girls are shallower, but I found the stories fun and enjoyed the humor. There's a pretty big supernatural element, though it doesn't rear its head in obvious ways to begin with. Most of the ero stuff can be avoided with the right dialogue option taken at the right time. I also watched the 2006 anime series afterward and liked it quite a bit; loved how faithful it was, down to recreating backgrounds for establishing shots and using the original music (along with remixes).

Da Capo: It's like Kanon but exaggerated in the wrong ways. Even shallower characters and a sillier supernatural element. There's no avoiding most of the ero. Route length and complexity can vary greatly. After being disappointed my first time through with an end little more sophisticated than "I like you, let's bone." the only thing that kept me from giving up on it was by looking in the scene replay area and seeing several others were 2-3x as long. Also creeps me out that the cover girls, the one this VN pushes on you most, are the adoptive sister and first cousin.

Nishastra

Banned
I hate Da Capo. It's offensively dull, and it has so many blind choices where you have no clue what will happen and you have to pick specific ones every time to get on most routes.

I've heard Da Capo 2 is a lot better, but I haven't been able to bring myself to play it yet.

Edit: Okay, maybe hate is a bit strong :p

But it's one of the very few VNs I've read that I couldn't be bothered to finish. It never grabbed me. I was alternately bored and annoyed.

Noi

If we're speaking strictly similar in the good writing sense, I'm a fan of the Infinity series, though Ever 17 is the only one officially released in english (Though there's fan translations out for some of the other games). No ero at all either.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What happened to Chet? Also I did eventually shed the old Kenjii avatar if anyone wants it. I felt it was finally time to move on. Sad =(

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Chet is definitely not cancelled. Chet is still in development, we have nothing new to announce at this time.

Why is this place still alive??? I left here thinking it would die a few days later, but here it is on the first page of Gaming community.
Also...I've really missed you all ;_; Take me back. I've seen the error of my ways for leaving

abusori

Why is this place still alive??? I left here thinking it would die a few days later, but here it is on the first page of Gaming community.
Also...I've really missed you all ;_; Take me back. I've seen the error of my ways for leaving

We are avatar sisters/brothers/whatever, I shan't forsake thou!

Metrotab

Banned
I need to go back to this VN and finish Rin and Shizune's routes.

I don't have the heart to get the bad ends though. VNs are way too good in plucking my heart strings.

Top Bottom