• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Emi's route was basically me getting to relive one of my past relationships only with a happy ending. Hahaha.

This game is doing a magnificent job of reminding me of previous relationships and memories.

notworksafe

Gah! I can't get some tracks from this game out of my head! Today it's been Stride all day.

I think I'll try out Hanako's path next...mostly just for more Lilly!

After completing Shizune's awesome storyline, I haven't had much time to play this but I am thinking about picking it back up again.

Maybe I will do Rin's route because she seemed pretty interesting and it appears that all of you fine folks enjoyed her tale well enough ^__^

Are there bad endings, or just happy endings with each girl?
Also are the adult scenes just funny panty shots and alike, or full h-scenes? I dont think It would feel good having touching romantic stories and then sex scenes out of the blue. I see an option to take the off.

Lol... Prepare your feels dude. I can honestly admit that this game had me fucking bummed out all damned day. If you've ever been involved with a girl who is similar to one of the main characters it becomes the sort of thing that feeds on your emotions long after you've played it, acting like a catalyst to dredge up the past. I'm on act 3 of Rin right now and she soooo reminds me of a friend of mine, in so many ways, including appearance, passion for art, general strangeness and demeanor, and a fear of changing. It's sometimes hard to play this because it makes me remember all the times I wanted to simply help my friend and be there for her since she's in a really bad place, but I could not bridge the gap. So it hits real close to home. Makes you never wanna feel again :l

Here's a pic of her Rin-i-ness, and when times were better

http://i.imgur.com/fltQx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VZJ0B.jpg

I finished Emi's first, and I really enjoyed it for what it's worth, there were a lot of laughs, and some turbulent moments as well. It was a lot better than what I was expecting to be honest, even if a lot of it was rather predictable.

Pretty touching story.

Also are the adult scenes just funny panty shots and alike, or full h-scenes? I dont think It would feel good having touching romantic stories and then sex scenes out of the blue. I see an option to take the off.

In the 3 1/2 routes I've played so far, the sex is relatively tame. Most of the time the actual visuals strike me as more R rated fair, save for a few images. Nothing hardcore though. In fact, I'd say the sex actually feels appropriate most of the time with one instance in particular necessary to a character's development/the story.

I guess the best way to put it is that I can't see anyone ever playing this game for the sex scenes. That's not really what they're there for.

And yes, there are bad endings.

Are there bad endings, or just happy endings with each girl?

The "adult contents" are full on sex scenes, though as you mentioned they can be avoided simply by checking a box in the options menu ^__^ In the story I had the sex scenes did feel...a little out of place but they were very few (only two short scenes) and didn't ruin the overall narrative for me.

Thus far in terms of natural feel, I liked the way Emi's handled it. Granted, I felt like their relationship really felt like a relationship. In general I like how sex isn't treated like it often is in Japanese VNs.

Instro

Finished up all the routes over the past couple days, good stuff. Lilly and Shizune were my favorite girls. As far as story arcs go Rin's was probably the most interesting, although I didn't like it as much as Lilly's and Hanako's.

Overall I'd say Lilly was the best way to go in the game, the ending was pretty sweet.
I'm a sucker for the ol chasing the girl to an airport/trainstation storyline. Scene after credits was neat too.

You know, this game might have a heavy effect on how I view the quality of the writing and scenarios in the S-Links of the next Persona game. Crazy that a fan based project has eclipsed that game in my eyes.

Jintor

Imagine how the relationships in something AAA like Dragon Age and Mass Effect compare, lol

You know, granted they're not the focus of course, but still

In the 3 1/2 routes I've played so far, the sex is relatively tame. Most of the time the actual visuals strike me as more R rated fair, save for a few images. Nothing hardcore though. In fact, I'd say the sex actually feels appropriate most of the time with one instance in particular necessary to a character's development/the story.

I guess the best way to put it is that I can't see anyone ever playing this game for the sex scenes. That's not really what they're there for.

And yes, there are bad endings.

Thats what I wanted to hear, if they dont feel tacked on, I will let them on.

Instro

I saw the new blog post on their site earlier btw, its a shame that they have no plans to add anything to this game or work on anything else.

Imagine how the relationships in something AAA like Dragon Age and Mass Effect compare, lol

Yeah... That's what I was kinda getting at. The persona games have kind of served as my barometer for story based relationships in mainstream games for some time now. It was a real revelation playing one for the first time after years of Final Fantasy.

Jintor

Like I said earlier, possibly the only game that's compared in terms of character-building and meaningful emotional punches is Planescape Torment, and that had so much writing in it it was practically a visual novel anyway.

Pfft, this game has nothing on broing out with Garrus on the Normandy.

(This game is all writing, the quality of it being higher than in games that have to do a balancing act with like a million other things isn't surprising)

Jintor

Pfft, this game has nothing on broing out with Garrus on the Normandy.

(This game is all writing, the quality of it being higher than in games that have to do a balancing act with like a million other things isn't surprising)

I'm not disputing that, but that doesn't mean there's no incentive to improve yeah?

I'm not disputing that, but that doesn't mean there's no incentive to improve yeah?

Oh yeah, they definitely need to step up their game. I don't think most will, I think our standards for game stories will gradually, very slowly get better over time as they always have done, but yeah, something like this does make you wish they could at least write the dialogue in games better. But I get why they don't really mind.

zero01101

Neo Member
The story splits after Act 1, so if you've seen the cutscene you're stuck on a mostly linear path. I would restart if you're not serious about reading Emi's story for now, I wouldn't waste the emotional effect when you're not yet invested.

I finished Emi's first, and I really enjoyed it for what it's worth, there were a lot of laughs, and some turbulent moments as well. It was a lot better than what I was expecting to be honest, even if a lot of it was rather predictable.

welp, for what it's worth, i've stuck it out with the emi storyline and am... um... deep into act 3 now. i would most certainly say i'm invested in her story, particularly so that it was the story i have decided for myself without conscious decision to do so. i caught myself concerned about
her infection from her prosthesis
while out to dinner with my wife and parents, so this is officially a problem. i'm still kind of sparse on where i actually determined the course of the narrative, because looking back, i can't remember events wherein i had definitive choice enough that i could see them branching plots; i mean, one dialogue tree was between "yes" and "maybe." that's not exactly what i would consider a divisive path, but who am i to say?

anyway, this game is fucking awesome and anyone at all who likes narrative in their media should play it. i still plan to replay and
attempt to actually do something about poor poor poor hanako <3 <3 <3 and
recount my experience for those poor few souls who had expressed interest in my debaucherous exploits earlier.

[edit]

Yeah... That's what I was kinda getting at. The persona games have kind of served as my barometer for story based relationships in mainstream games for some time now. It was a real revelation playing one for the first time after years of Final Fantasy.

i have heard nothing but glowing praise for the persona series, particularly persona 3. i don't classically enjoy RPGs, but have found myself enamored recently with skyrim (shocking, yes, i'm sure.) the depth of character development and continually praised plot intrigue me however. is this a game that a mainly ARPG (if *RPG is to be considered) player would enjoy, having been seriously fucking FLOORED with katawa shoujo?

i mean me :3

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just finished Rin's story (good ending) and...I dunno. I didn't like it very much at all.

You know, this game might have a heavy effect on how I view the quality of the writing and scenarios in the S-Links of the next Persona game. Crazy that a fan based project has eclipsed that game in my eyes.

Indeed, the writing for KS really makes you think. It's the first VN I've ever (played?) so I don't know if that factors into it at all.

Like I said earlier, possibly the only game that's compared in terms of character-building and meaningful emotional punches is Planescape Torment, and that had so much writing in it it was practically a visual novel anyway.

I really need to make some time for that game.

Those just feel so tacked on and awkward. You do it once for the achievement and then just basically forget about. However, with KS, I still find myself randomly thinking about how shitty Hanako's situation is or how rough of a spot Lily was put in towards the end of her storyline. My point is, it feels like something that could happen in reality. Which is probably why it evokes such a response from the people playing it.

I don't think AAA games will ever approach that level of story telling.

cress2000

Emi endings

I guess she doesn't have a true bad ending? Depending on what you do at her house, one fork is more satisfying and less scary than the other, but things still wind up in the same place anyway. Hanako's endings were all completely different, but there's nothing missing in the library menu.

welp, for what it's worth, i've stuck it out with the emi storyline and am... um... deep into act 3 now. i would most certainly say i'm invested in her story, particularly so that it was the story i have decided for myself without conscious decision to do so. i caught myself concerned about
while out to dinner with my wife and parents, so this is officially a problem. i'm still kind of sparse on where i actually determined the course of the narrative, because looking back, i can't remember events wherein i had definitive choice enough that i could see them branching plots; i mean, one dialogue tree was between "yes" and "maybe." that's not exactly what i would consider a divisive path, but who am i to say?

anyway, this game is fucking awesome and anyone at all who likes narrative in their media should play it. i still plan to replay and
attempt to actually do something about poor poor poor hanako <3 <3 <3 and
recount my experience for those poor few souls who had expressed interest in my debaucherous exploits earlier.
The characters and their scenarios are very well written and feel true to life. Emi initially felt like the bouncy ditz, very very similar to Persona 4's Rise in my opinion, but there's a good reason for why she behaves that way. As Jintor (?) mentioned earlier, this game is like a delicious exercise in subverting cliched tropes. The characters aren't what you think they are superficially. I'm glad you're enjoying the Emi route; I think it's a pretty touching arc myself. As for branching plots, Rin's definitely has more than Emi's, and it's a lot more vague as well, whereas with Emi, the hints for the "right" path were pretty easy to discern.

i have heard nothing but glowing praise for the persona series, particularly persona 3. i don't classically enjoy RPGs, but have found myself enamored recently with skyrim (shocking, yes, i'm sure.) the depth of character development and continually praised plot intrigue me however. is this a game that a mainly ARPG (if *RPG is to be considered) player would enjoy, having been seriously fucking FLOORED with katawa shoujo?

i mean me :3
I think Persona 4 is a more accessible game than P3. I loved them both equally, but P3 has a darker plot than 4. P4 is very similar to KS, in that the whole game is based upon the "masks" that we wear while going about our social lives. You will have to tolerate some dungeon grinding just like with every traditional RPG, but I think the premise of both games, the overarching plot and the endearing characters make it all very worthwhile. I can't see anyone who enjoyed KS not liking Persona and vice versa.

However, with KS, I still find myself randomly thinking about how shitty Hanako's situation is or how rough of a spot Lily was put in towards the end of her storyline. My point is, it feels like something that could happen in reality. Which is probably why it evokes such a response from the people playing it.

I don't think AAA games will ever approach that level of story telling.
Hmm... tough call to make. The last game that actually made me feel something towards the characters was Nier. I felt that game was pretty heart-wrenching to be honest, and it did it all with words and low production values, similar to KS. I was blown away to start NG+ and find myself really gripped by the truth behind Kaine's past in spite of it all being words on a screen and some musical accompaniment.

Really makes me roll my eyes when ND is talking about elevating story with Uncharted etc. when the dialogue and story are so incredibly forgettable in comparison. I really hope The Last of Us leaves a lasting impression, it definitely seems quite moody in the trailer.

Edit: god dang it sorry for the double post

Finished Hanako (good ending) and Lilly (bad ending)

I have to agree with the above posts about the dynamic in Hanako's character between her own route and Lilly's, I was pretty surprised, good job, game, good job.

And i can't help it..

WHY IS LILLY SO SWEET?? T_T

*play again to get Lilly's good ending*

i caught myself concerned about

I definitely laughed at this because I've been doing the same thing since I started playing this damned game.

As for branches, there's a very specific choice you make in Act 1 that leads to a very specific event that leads to her route.

falconzss

I saw the new blog post on their site earlier btw, its a shame that they have no plans to add anything to this game or work on anything else.

Just checked their blog and saw it posted. Makes me sad to hear that, especially since their game has really touched me. I admire their dedication and am thankful that they managed to pull this project through.

Jintor

It doesn't branch in a 'okay, now pick your shopping list of waifus' kind of way. It's about the culminative weight of your choices that determines the kind of person you think Hisao is. That in turn determines the kind of person he would end up spending the festival with, and consequentially whose story it is that you'll be exploring.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Like I said before, I found it intensely personal, so... *shrug*

To each his own, the quality of each individual story is heavily influenced by our own personal experiences. Which is probably why I like Lily and Hanako's storyline so much more than Emi or Rin. I've heard Shizune is kinda bad so I might just skip that one entirely.

notworksafe

To each his own, the quality of each individual story is heavily influenced by our own personal experiences. Which is probably why I like Lily and Hanako's storyline so much more than Emi or Rin. I've heard Shizune is kinda bad so I might just skip that one entirely.
Agreed. Rin's was depressing and left me thinking, but Lilly's definitely hit closer to home.

As far as Shizune's I understand that it's more "slice of life" than specifically about a one on one relationship. I think I'll save it for last, as it sounds like a nice closing chapter.

Top Bottom