• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Wanted to try the game and the only donwloads possible are torrents.
Im not going to donwload a torrent program only for this.

I know it says that direct downloads are coming soon, but does someone know if theres a mirror with direct download in some place?

falconzss

Jintor said:
I kind of feel you should always save Rin's for last, but that might just be 'first girl syndrome' talking - the first path you take always colours the rest.

I did Emi's first and have done Hankoka, Rin and most of Shizune since and I think Rin's should be left to last out of those. It's alot more to take in than the others and the payoff on the good end is so good. I think you should do the bad ends aswell they are pretty emotional i felt.

Thanks guys, will go with Shizune next and save Rin for last.

Just completed Shizune's
and Misha's
route.

Some thoughts:
It was interesting, but it felt anti-climactic in some ways and I found myself not connecting quite as much with anyone other than Misha. In Emi and Hanako's routes, I was definitely more involved if only because of my own personal experiences in the past and the fact that both these girls reminded me of people I've been with. In some sense, I'd argue that this was pretty realistic, in that they're high schoolers and don't really understand love quite yet, so moving on after HS seems obvious.

From a dramatic perspective, I just never felt that Hisao and Shizune were that close. In fact, I don't recall him ever really coming forward and telling them about his heart problem, so even by the end he's kind of bitter about how close he comes to death all the time. This is a massive 180 from, for instance, Emi's route where he overcomes his physical problems.

Still, it was interesting but definitely my least favorite of the three routes I've played. Next is Lilly and then finally Rin. Might need some help getting on Rin's route though when the time comes.

Jintor

Wanted to try the game and the only donwloads possible are torrents.
Im not going to donwload a torrent program only for this.

I know it says that direct downloads are coming soon, but does someone know if theres a mirror with direct download in some place?

There's a megaupload floating around somewhere in this thread, I think.

Jintor

Still, it was interesting but definitely my least favorite of the three routes I've played. Next is Lilly and then finally Rin. Might need some help getting on Rin's route though when the time comes.

Everyone found it really difficult to get on Rin's route, but the two times I played it through blind (when the demo was released and re-playing it when the full game was released) I managed to wander onto her path both times.

OMG Aero

Is there a way to change the resolution? Just thought I'd try this out but when I open it the window is tiny on my monitor and I can't resize it. Then when I try fullscreen mode it stretches the graphics into widescreen instead of preserving the aspect ratio.

CSX

Is there a way to change the resolution? Just thought I'd try this out but when I open it the window is tiny on my monitor and I can't resize it. Then when I try fullscreen mode it stretches the graphics into widescreen instead of preserving the aspect ratio.

nope. VNs come in 3 flavors : 640x480, 800x600, and if you're really really lucky 1280x720

Good thing they're planning to release the soundtrack as well. This is good writing music.

Yes! I was really hoping for someone to either rip the music or have an official release. Some of the tracks are so good, would make for great writing music as someone else mentioned. Also jazzed to see that they are already planning DLC cause I was a little sad to read that there wouldn't be a sequel or further works from 4LS in the FAQ.

CSX

Really ? i never saw one at this rez. care to post some names ?

i cant think of any on PC at the moment ( i know they exist) but many of the popular titles that have been ported to 360 and ps3 are in 720p

EDIT : googled around. It's becoming more of a norm for a few years now. Any PC visual novel from 2010-present has a good chance being in 720p

I've been getting pretty tired of playing nonstop AAA games so I decided to give Katawa Shoujo, my first VN (besides Phoenix Wright), a try after seeing all the hype about it over the past few weeks on blogs and giving the Act 1 demo a try right before Christmas. I like shy types and long dark hair, so I got my virtual wooing on with Hanako. I achieved the good ending, however
I just wanted to get off the ride in Act 4 when Hisao and Hanako do their thing with weak consent on Hanako’s part and without them airing their true feelings/intentions beforehand. That caused so much unnecessary drama. And then Hanako revealed how she truly felt about the special attention and protection she was getting from Hisao/Lilly. Miscommunications all over the place. I was just miserable from that point until the end of the credits. The moment where the couple begins to figure their situation out and kiss in front of the bakery didn't cheer me up at all.
People weren't kidding when they said there's a post-VN slump. I didn't spend nearly 10 hours expecting to feel that way.

I was expecting more choice and less watching my character be clueless for hours.
I felt so helpless during Hanako's classroom panic attack.
With that said, it was nice trying something outside of my comfort zone (I haven't really watched anime or read manga in nearly a decade) and I have to admit that I did enjoy the first 3 acts of the game when everything was pretty much lollipops and rainbows, loved the music, most of the characters were interesting and I'm sad that this Four Leaf Studios has disbanded. It's pretty incredible that they made this if five years and that they’re giving it away for free.

Welp, it was an interesting way to spend four nights of winter break. Maybe my curiosity will get the best of me again and I'll come back one day to try another route. While I didn't mind it with Hanako, I hope the other routes aren't as slowly paced and about taking one step forward and two steps back all the time. But I'm going back to playing AAA FPSs
and Hanako's floor game
for now.

Proven

I finished the Shizune route last night. I can easily see how everyone sees her as the worst route, but part of me kind of wish I saved her for last. Her end left me with the feeling I would have wanted in order to "graduate" from the game.
With Misha in the mix, her route is less about love and more about kindred spirits trying to fix themselves and each other.

falconzss

Yes! I was really hoping for someone to either rip the music or have an official release. Some of the tracks are so good, would make for great writing music as someone else mentioned. Also jazzed to see that they are already planning DLC cause I was a little sad to read that there wouldn't be a sequel or further works from 4LS in the FAQ.

The soundtrack is already floating around the web, at least in unoffical form.

Not sure if it has already been posted here but some guy over at the KS forums made a pretty extensive flowchart for the game. For those interested, check out this link.

Jintor

I've been getting pretty tired of playing nonstop AAA games so I decided to give Katawa Shoujo, my first VN (besides Phoenix Wright), a try after seeing all the hype about it over the past few weeks on blogs and giving the Act 1 demo a try right before Christmas. I like shy types and long dark hair, so I got my virtual wooing on with Hanako. I achieved the good ending, however
I just wanted to get off the ride in Act 4 when Hisao and Hanako do their thing with weak consent on Hanako’s part and without them airing their true feelings/intentions beforehand. That caused so much unnecessary drama. And then Hanako revealed how she truly felt about the special attention and protection she was getting from Hisao/Lilly. Miscommunications all over the place. I was just miserable from that point until the end of the credits. The moment where the couple begins to figure their situation out and kiss in front of the bakery didn't cheer me up at all.
People weren't kidding when they said there's a post-VN slump. I didn't spend nearly 10 hours expecting to feel that way.

I was expecting more choice and less watching my character be clueless for hours.
I felt so helpless during Hanako's classroom panic attack.
With that said, it was nice trying something outside of my comfort zone (I haven't really watched anime or read manga in nearly a decade) and I have to admit that I did enjoy the first 3 acts of the game when everything was pretty much lollipops and rainbows, loved the music, most of the characters were interesting and I'm sad that this Four Leaf Studios has disbanded. It's pretty incredible that they made this if five years and that they’re giving it away for free.

Welp, it was an interesting way to spend four nights of winter break. Maybe my curiosity will get the best of me again and I'll come back one day to try another route. While I didn't mind it with Hanako, I hope the other routes aren't as slowly paced and about taking one step forward and two steps back all the time. But I'm going back to playing AAA FPSs
and Hanako's floor game
for now.

I thought pretty much the same as you did when I first completed Hanako's route, but the further I get away from the actual moment of it the more I realise how interestingly it was written. I mean, I'd have to read it again to confirm my feelings about it, but I do think it's more complex than I initially gave it credit for.

Hisao's still a dumbass though, but that's okay.

falconzss

It was that one but in 3 parts.

Doesnt seem to work.
Well im downloading a new one, althought its only 257 mb, I suppose is a demo?

Why does the world dont let me play this game lol

Hm...

don't know about the exact size of the windows version but the mac one is roughly 485mb.
Will see if i can find the password. The last one i posted was in the comment section where i've found the links. Thought it would work :/

Edit: It's probably the easiest to use the link Jintor posted above.

Hm...

don't know about the exact size of the windows version but the mac one is roughly 485mb.
Will see if i can find the password. The last one i posted was in the comment section where i've found the links. Thought it would work :/

Edit: It's probably the easiest to use the link Jintor posted above.

Was it this d/l?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=lujaf6ht

If it was, Dynamite Ringo might know the p/w

Yeah, I have seen now that that one is an exe.
Thanks you both!

cress2000

This is an awesome game. Are there more VN's like this one??

I think Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo would be a really good one to move onto after this. Read it last year and is still one of my favorites. Awesome main character, moving story, and an awesome plot twist.

zero01101

Neo Member
having never played a single visual novel before and now finding myself several hours in, well into act 2, and getting continually fairly annoyed at the fact that kenji won't simply SHUT UP, i can sincerely say that this is probably the most engrossed i've been in any form of fiction, digital or otherwise, in recent memory. this is astoundingly well written. the production value is through the damn roof at this point and i can't see that trend changing. i've laughed loud enough to worry some of my pets, and several times at that.

what is happening to me.

i <3 you hanako. nothing will ever hurt you again.

Holy fuck, I just passed the hospital scene.
That was pretty hardcore and depressing. Very well done, I havent seen much VN to touch this type of subjects or similar like this.

Holy fuck, I just passed the hospital scene.
That was pretty hardcore and depressing. Very well done, I havent seen much VN to touch this type of subjects or similar like this.

Wait, you mean the beginning of the game?

Don't worry, it lightens up after that.

Then it gets heavier again.

Or you go on the Hanako route. And it gets even heavier.

Or then you go onto the Rin route, and it becomes black and despair filled

So how many main girls there are and who are they.
Its to not have a dissapointment that theres no route for a girl a like in the future.

Wait, you mean the beginning of the game?

Don't worry, it lightens up after that.

Then it gets heavier again.

Or you go on the Hanako route. And it gets even heavier.

Or then you go onto the Rin route, and it becomes black and despair filled

But I wanted to feel good :(

Jintor

Its to not have a dissapointment that theres no route for a girl a like in the future.

5: Rin (red-headed artist), Lily (tea-drinking half-scottish lady), Hanako (shy reading girl), Shizune (competitive student-council president), and Emi (the fastest girl around). Shizune shares her path with Misha (drill-hair wahahaha~) to a certain extent.

zero01101

Neo Member
Pleasepleaseplease post again when you finish her route.

Uh huh.

Yeah I guess that's one way of looking at it.

now i am officially concerned, especially considering my heroic progress with emi which is REALLY GOING AGAINST MY PERSONAL WISHES DAMMIT

[edit]

i mean she's sweet and all but come on she's clearly fine on her own.
MUST FIX HANAKO

[edit edit]

so... wait... i'm, as mentioned, extremely noob to VNs. am i currently "in" emi's route now?

I thought pretty much the same as you did when I first completed Hanako's route, but the further I get away from the actual moment of it the more I realise how interestingly it was written. I mean, I'd have to read it again to confirm my feelings about it, but I do think it's more complex than I initially gave it credit for.

Hisao's still a dumbass though, but that's okay.

Yeah, I agree that the story written was very interesting. The
white knighting
being revealed to not be welcomed felt real. But rewatching the ending I think I understand what Hanako was saying about her relationship with Lilly and Hisao better. I think I took something Hanako said wrong.
I got confused a put off initially when Hanako revealed that she felt that the only reason Hisao liked her was because she was "useless" and that he needed someone to protect. I got kind of insulted and felt like Hisao's efforts up to that point were useless. I was so phased that I kind of stopped paying attention and just tapped the spacebar until the credits rolled. But I just misinterpreted what she was saying.

I think I'll try another route soon. Hanako was my obvious first choice, but I'm not really sure which girl to chose next. I really like Lilly and Shizune. But I hear Shizune's story is lame. I've been hearing great things about Rin. Rin seems to be breaking grown men. So I really want to check that out and see if her route can break me.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I played Hanako's path first and then finished Lily's. I still can't quite decide which one I like more.

Lily's path has some tense moments for the longest time I thought I had somehow veered into the bad ending. I liked the way they wrapped it all up. Hanako's path was fantastic as well and I think I like her a little more than Lily but I don't like the way her storyline abruptly ended at the bakery.

Haven't played Rin so I can't comment.

So I'm right near the end of act 3 of Lilly's route and wow.

I'm finding it to be just incredibly romantic and touching so far, obviously preparing for some kind of immense low of course. I'm actually surprised to find that I think Hanako is actually doing a lot better in this route than in her own. Because Hisao and Lilly give her space to figure things out on her own, she's way more social toward the end of chapter 3 than she is by the end of her route.

That moment you walk into the classroom with her and she's assaulted with questions and people from Lilly's class was surprising. In her own route, she'd probably have broken down. Just goes to show how by not being the white knight and simply being there for her, she's able to figure things out. Sometimes just knowing someone is there for you is enough and I think this was just that. I think she works better as a close friend/family than as a girlfriend in that sense.

I also like how you interact with pretty much everyone on this route. It feels much more... wide I guess? Makes sense considering Lilly is on good terms with everyone save for Shizune. That whole situation just kind of makes me sad.

Maybe it's because I can relate to a lot of the relationship stuff (my life can be turbulent sometimes), but this is easily the most gripped I've been by a purely romantic VN, ever. It was hard before, but it's going to be impossible to return to the typical Tsundere/character types in other games.

jman2050

So I'm right near the end of act 3 of Lilly's route and wow.

I'm finding it to be just incredibly romantic and touching so far, obviously preparing for some kind of immense low of course. I'm actually surprised to find that I think Hanako is actually doing a lot better in this route than in her own. Because Hisao and Lilly give her space to figure things out on her own, she's way more social toward the end of chapter 3 than she is by the end of her route.

To be fair, barely any time passes at all in Hanako's route. Of course that's one of the biggest complaints from people regarding her route. I like to imagine her growth in her own story mirrors this one to an extent after they get past all the white-knight issues.

Jintor

KS Devs do not care about your wants. They feed off your tears.

Hell, to a certain extent I'm feeding off these tears. I love these reaction posts.

Yeah, I agree that the story written was very interesting. The
white knighting
being revealed to not be welcomed felt real. But rewatching the ending I think I understand what Hanako was saying about her relationship with Lilly and Hisao better. I think I took something Hanako said wrong.
I got confused a put off initially when Hanako revealed that she felt that the only reason Hisao liked her was because she was "useless" and that he needed someone to protect. I got kind of insulted and felt like Hisao's efforts up to that point were useless. I was so phased that I kind of stopped paying attention and just tapped the spacebar until the credits rolled. But I just misinterpreted what she was saying.

The main thing that I have to criticize about Hanako's story is
that almost all of the heavy stuff is dumped into the fourth act, instead of evenly distributed across all of the acts, so - especially in comparison to the other stories - the pacing feels severely off. Emi's and Rin's acts for instance run into the traditional severe trouble somewhere around the end of the third act, but Hanako's is put off until almost a quarter of the way through the fourth, so both the drama itself and the recovery feel far more jarring.

so... wait... i'm, as mentioned, extremely noob to VNs. am i currently "in" emi's route now?

The story splits after Act 1, so if you've seen the cutscene you're stuck on a mostly linear path. I would restart if you're not serious about reading Emi's story for now, I wouldn't waste the emotional effect when you're not yet invested.

To be fair, barely any time passes at all in Hanako's route. Of course that's one of the biggest complaints from people regarding her route. I like to imagine her growth in her own story mirrors this one to an extent after they get past all the white-knight issues.

That's very true. It was hard to really track the passage of time in Emi's route because you're only ever really with her and Rin. I was surprised to find how early in the story Hanako's birthday party happened when compared to her route. That and Lilly's trip to Scottland. Hell, Hanako's route ends before she even gets back as far as I can tell!

The main thing that I have to criticize about Hanako's story is
that almost all of the heavy stuff is dumped into the fourth act, instead of evenly distributed across all of the acts, so - especially in comparison to the other stories - the pacing feels severely off. Emi's and Rin's acts for instance run into the traditional severe trouble somewhere around the end of the third act, but Hanako's is put off until almost a quarter of the way through the fourth, so both the drama itself and the recovery feel far more jarring.

I dunno.

One thing about Hanako's route is that there's already a lot of heavy drama based off her concept. Plus, there was an intentional tricking of the reader. Essentially, Hanako's route wasn't really about her past, her tragedies. It was about Hisao's reaction to them. So a sudden swerve feels right. Once you know the facts about the story, thinking back you can see in hindsight how it all worked.

Jintor

Yeah, but I think you can do a very similar thing with better pacing. You just need a longer period
of Hisao and Hanako in turbulent waters
... I think.

I'll have to re-read her route.

Damnit, I'll have to re-read all the routes.

Lol... Prepare your feels dude. I can honestly admit that this game had me fucking bummed out all damned day. If you've ever been involved with a girl who is similar to one of the main characters it becomes the sort of thing that feeds on your emotions long after you've played it, acting like a catalyst to dredge up the past. I'm on act 3 of Rin right now and she soooo reminds me of a friend of mine, in so many ways, including appearance, passion for art, general strangeness and demeanor, and a fear of changing. It's sometimes hard to play this because it makes me remember all the times I wanted to simply help my friend and be there for her since she's in a really bad place, but I could not bridge the gap. So it hits real close to home. Makes you never wanna feel again :l

Here's a pic of her Rin-i-ness, and when times were better

http://i.imgur.com/fltQx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VZJ0B.jpg

now i am officially concerned, especially considering my heroic progress with emi which is REALLY GOING AGAINST MY PERSONAL WISHES DAMMIT

[edit]

i mean she's sweet and all but come on she's clearly fine on her own.
MUST FIX HANAKO

[edit edit]

I finished Emi's first, and I really enjoyed it for what it's worth, there were a lot of laughs, and some turbulent moments as well. It was a lot better than what I was expecting to be honest, even if a lot of it was rather predictable.

Top Bottom