• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

notworksafe

I wouldn't call it slice of life... I think it's more like a multi-person relationship drama.

Ahh okay. I'm just going by what I've managed to read without being spoiled.

Don't think I'll have time to play another route tonight, sadly. Ah well...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I love Shizune's but I also did it first. So yeah, most people will probably prefer whatever they began with.

Yeah, Shizune's path is a quite a ways different than the others, so you may or may not dig it.

I enjoyed it, but I had to get past the fact that it was more of a HS drama.

Plus (Shizune ending spoilers)
that moment at the end when he says 'I love you' and she doesn't respond. Haha. I wasn't sure if he signed it to her, but either way it kind of felt like they weren't really in a serious relationship. Hisao seemed ready to go for it, but you never really get the impression that Shizune thinks that's what's going to happen after graduation. Especially since she talks about seeing them both again some day.

Just got the ending where
Hisao falls off of the roof. o.o

Gonna go back and make a different choice to try and avoid that happening again haha ^_^

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Thanks! I don't have much experience on VNs besides 999, but the fact that 4chan is the originator of this game got my attention.

Proven

After having a day to simmer over it, Shizune is definitely a route to take last, assuming you want to leave the game not completely attached and stuck on a single girl. The ending really reminds me of Persona 3's graduation scenes.

And I had to do her third.

Ah well, I'll do Hanako in the morning.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So which one is the tsundere? I'm a sucker for tsunderes.
Not too keen on the face or the hair color tbh. I think the design would look a lot better if he were older and had a bit of facial hair. Maybe sharper features around the face. And a cigarette.... hmmm....
Facial hair and cigarettes are like, not safe for hospital environment, dude.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't think any of them quite fit that description. Maybe Shizune would be the closest fit, but... even still, not really. The characters are much more three dimensional than any characters... in pretty much any game I've ever played to be honest.
This is actually good news!
That's... not how this game works, Reg.
Disappointmenton.
I was being facetious dude.

Damn, thought I got a bad end just now but I just hit Act 4 Rin. Her character is just impenetrable. I have no fucking clue where this is headed. I have no idea if any of the choices I've made are correct. It always feels like you're treading on thin ice with her.

Just put the OST on my iphone. Man, fucking "Nocturne" just started playing in ACT 4. Love this track, it's so effective when the game segues into this super depressing internal monologue with this as accompaniment. It always makes me think I hit a bad end or something haha

Just put the OST on my iphone. Man, fucking "Nocturne" just started playing in ACT 4. Love this track, it's so effective when the game segues into this super depressing internal monologue with this as accompaniment. It always makes me think I hit a bad end or something haha

I definitely love the soundtrack and will be putting it on my iPod ASAP

For those trying to see all the scenes/endings, someone has made a flowchart for the game.

Thank you so much for posting this! This will greatly assist me in my quest for not fucking up Rin's route :D

I definitely love the soundtrack and will be putting it on my iPod ASAP

Thank you so much for posting this! This will greatly assist me in my quest for not fucking up Rin's route :D

I dunno man. I'm playing without a guide and it really adds to the tension and meaning behind the choices, especially with Rin... like.. you actually have to deliberate over what your choices mean. I'd say play through once without a walkthru, then use it if you're stuck.

Papercuts

Yeah, I like the choices because they resonate well with the way the paths can end. You can have a ton of shit go down and not know if you're on the "bad" end, which adds a lot.

I dunno man. I'm playing without a guide and it really adds to the tension and meaning behind the choices, especially with Rin... like.. you actually have to deliberate over what your choices mean. I'd say play through once without a walkthru, then use it if you're stuck.

Yeah, I like the choices because they resonate well with the way the paths can end. You can have a ton of shit go down and not know if you're on the "bad" end, which adds a lot.

I'll save the flowchart as a last resort ;)

Though I am only in the second act, Rin's route has far more choices than Shizune's did and it is kinda freaking me out a little. I am getting paranoid that I'm leading myself down some terrible terrible bad end path D:

I'll save the flowchart as a last resort ;)

Though I am only in the second act, Rin's route has far more choices than Shizune's did and it is kinda freaking me out a little. I am getting paranoid that I'm leading myself down some terrible terrible bad end path D:

Believe me, that's all a part of it. I can see why everyone says to save her for last now. It certainly offers the most to contemplate, as she's just completely different from the other characters. Act 2 shows little of what you're in for. It definitely becomes like a rollercoaster of emotions. Rin is like sadness incarnate.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't know if the one I'm finding endearing is Shicchan or Misha.
edit: okay there's an ojousama type of girl this game knows how to hit my weak spots

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Whew, finally got 100% and unlocked the bonus image.

Not sure exactly, but I'm guessing it's one of the following:

- Get all endings
- Click all choices
- See all possible text in the game

I'm tilting towards the endings one.
You just need to see all the scenes and endings. What I think many people will miss is Lilly's bad end, because it doesn't have its own scene to unlock, it just cuts the story off at a certain point. I know I definitely got the 100% image without having clicked all the choices / seeing all the text.

Jintor

I'm not touching a flowchart until I at least finish Lilly's route. By then all I'll have left are bad ends and that should be easy enough.

Just finished Hanako's route.

I5Xwx.jpg

"What's the word for when..."

Wow... That hit me like a fucking fully loaded Mac truck. Manly tears man... I don't see how any of the other routes can touch Rin's at this point. I didn't find her ending depressing at all, it was very hopeful if anything. I'm probably gonna take a break from this for a few days, this game has given me much to think about.

vall03

I guess I suck at socializing in general, all of my choices basically led me to the bad end. Oh well, at least for my second run Im feeling that I will get Hanako...

Just completed Lilly's route. Guys, so many feels right now. Man tears are happening.

I swear to god I thought I was headed for a bad end every single time the screen went dark. And then that ending before the credits. "WAIT BUT WAT HAPPENS NEXT?". Then the epilogue and even Akira gets her happy ending. Hanako has friends and has figured her shit out and... and...

Ugggghhhhhh. This game is turning me into an emotional train wreck.

Papercuts

Just completed Lilly's route. Guys, so many feels right now. Man tears are happening.

I swear to god I thought I was headed for a bad end every single time the screen went dark. And then that ending before the credits. "WAIT BUT WAT HAPPENS NEXT?". Then the epilogue and even Akira gets her happy ending. Hanako has friends and has figured her shit out and... and...

Ugggghhhhhh. This game is turning me into an emotional train wreck.

Haha, I just finished her route and thought the same thing. On Emi's now and enjoying it a lot, still have Hanako and finishing it with Rin for maximum heart break.

Jintor

There's a thing on RockPaperShotgun which... John Walker I think wrote? Which I heavily disagree with. Partially because he spends a lot of the time talking about how it isn't a game, which is fair enough but kind of irrelevant, but mainly because he apparently feels no connection with the writing or characters or something, which is frankly just alien to me.

There's a thing on RockPaperShotgun which... John Walker I think wrote? Which I heavily disagree with. Partially because he spends a lot of the time talking about how it isn't a game, which is fair enough but kind of irrelevant, but mainly because he apparently feels no connection with the writing or characters or something, which is frankly just alien to me.

It's okay. Like Kenji would say, the invasion has apparently already begun, it'll be easier to separate the humans from the aliens with this KS acting as a litmus test. If you told me a month ago that a VN made by 4chan was capable of making me cry, I'd say you were full of shit, cause the only other thing that's actually done that for me was Grave of the Fireflies. 4LS has pulled that off for me though, I finished Rin's route at 3 AM, went to my bed to lie down, and the weight of it all fuckin hit me. Hot tears streaming down my face, of which I could do nothing to stop. This game absolutely becomes something quite special for me. No game has ever made me feel that way. It's mindboggling that it was made by a bunch of anonymous message board members over the span of ten years and released for free. GoTY is a lock for me and the year has only begun. Mindboggling.

Oh and now I've got Parity stuck in my head. So good

Makoto

Just finished Emi's good ending. It's also the first route I've finished so far and though manly tears were not shed, I was genuinely surprised at how invested I was in the characters.

I really could have done without the comic relief of Kenji and Yuuko though. After Act One, I also opted to turn off the default music and use some ambient music, which suited the atmosphere better in my opinion. Though I did turn it back on at around Act Four expecting that it would assist in the possibility of me bawling, but alas, no such tears were shed.

My first VN and I can safely say it was an experience. For something that was free, the production values seemed very good and my playtime was fairly long. Though I wasn't trying to intentionally take the Emi route, I'm pleased that it was the case for my playthrough as she was the character that I was most interested in by the end of Act One.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Bad websites continue to be bad.

RPS isn't bad. Far from it.

And complaining about people not 'getting' VNs seems... hard. Like, it'd be easier to just say 'well whatever' and carry on. It's hard to argue against, it's a pretty Marmite thing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
RPS isn't bad. Far from it.
The "ungame" shit is unbearable. The article is pretty much just one lie after another. If people don't like the game or the format that's fine, but there's a complete lack of critical thought in most of what they put out and what you're left with is primarily a bunch of whining about semantics and their unrealistic expectations.

Top Bottom