• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Are there more than 1 ending with every girl?
Cause I just finished my first run, and I got Lilly's route. And I want to know if I have to finish the game again to get another ending with her.

Jintor

Ah... I think it's a testament to the strength of the writing in all paths that they all seem like incredibly 'correct' choices. I thought that I'd have more trouble... uh... accepting Lilly in this path, but (midway through Act 4) and I'm incredibly, incredibly invested.

There are more than one ending, but they're "Bad Ends" (for a given value of bad)

Are there more than 1 ending with every girl?
Cause I just finished my first run, and I got Lilly's route. And I want to know if I have to finish the game again to get another ending with her.

Each character has a bad and sometimes also a neutral ending. In Lilly's case
it's not really worth seeing because it's the same as the good ending, except it just cuts off earlier.
IIRC Hanaka and Rin have 3 endings, the rest have 2.

Venfayth

There's a walkthrough on the official forums, it's a huge diagram that shows all the different endings and the paths you can take to get there (not just the specific answers, it shows all the interconnections and flags and stuff). I would post it but I'm afraid to go to those forums from my work computer :p

There's a walkthrough on the official forums, it's a huge diagram that shows all the different endings and the paths you can take to get there (not just the specific answers, it shows all the interconnections and flags and stuff). I would post it but I'm afraid to go to those forums from my work computer :p

This is the link the to the flowchart you are talking about. Obviously there are potential spoilers, so don't look at routes you haven't completed.

Jintor

Hanako's development in Lily's route is delicious. The whole thing integrates so well with Hanako's route proper.

Yes, each girl has got a few bad endings as well. I havent seen one yet, but they are apparently worth seeing as well.

:eek: Thanks.
And Basileus, I won't read your spoiler for obvious reasons. But I got the ending where
Hisao goes to the airport trying to stop Lilly from going to Scotland. Then he gets a heart attack, and soon after he awakes in a hospital bed, Lilly enter and says that she's going to stay with him.

Which ending is that? I haven't read a single guide or anything. So I don't know if I did something wrong.

And Basileus, I won't read your spoiler for obvious reasons. But I got the ending where
Hisao goes to the airport trying to stop Lilly from going to Scotland. Then he gets a heart attack, and soon after he awakes in a hospital bed, Lilly enter and says that she's going to stay with him.

Which ending is that? I haven't read a single guide or anything. So I don't know if I did something wrong.

That's the good ending. You could actually read my spoiler, having seen the good ending already.
The bad ending for Lilly is the same as the good one except it cuts off earlier. There are no new scenes in it.

Venfayth

I'm pretty sure that's
the good ending

edit: beated :<

Oh fuck. God Lily's neutral (bad?) ending. Fuck. Tears everywhere. Oh god.

Damn... Looks like I'll have to set aside a bit of time tonight to land on her route :\ I really wish OnScripter on iPhone supported this, that would be an amazing way to kill time during downtime. Then again maybe I don't want people to know why I'm sobbing at work lol

Jintor

It's not actually that bad, but, uh... personal things... brought to the surface.

I broke up with my girlfriend just before New Year's, not over similar reasons or anything, but...

I'm... I'm going to make myself some breakfast, maybe play some Dark Souls, then try again.

Does it seem to anybody else like sometimes the game skips decision points? I can't tell if it's because I'm hitting A too fast and it just takes the first decision for me. I know I did this at least once with Rin and it fucked me over.

It doesn't skip past decision points even in skip mode, so that's odd. Holding down the ctrl key or anything other than a mouse click on a decision doesn't do anything either.

That's the good ending. You could actually read my spoiler, having seen the good ending already.
The bad ending for Lilly is the same as the good one except it cuts off earlier. There are no new scenes in it.

I'm pretty sure that's
the good ending

edit: beated :<

Oh, I'm glad! Thanks, both of you. I guess that I won't be playing the game again. I loved Lilly's relationship with Hisao, it resembled a lot to my own life. It was kinda creepy in a way.

BTW, I'm the only one that hated Kenji and seriously disliked Rin? I just couldn't stand those seriously long and irritating monologues of Kenji. And Rin... dunno, I just didn't feel her. Maybe not my cup of tea.

Jintor

That is weird. I've never had it skip past a decision point before.

It doesn't skip past decision points even in skip mode, so that's odd. Holding down the ctrl key or anything other than a mouse click on a decision doesn't do anything either.

It feels like it only does it on first readthroughs. I always get them on skipthroughs/catchups. Maybe it's because I'm playing it with a controller.

I kind of like it. It's almost like reading a story, then reading it again and being like "No, Hisao, you fuckup, do this thing instead of the thing you just did automatically!"

BTW, I'm the only one that hated Kenji and seriously disliked Rin? I just couldn't stand those seriously long and irritating monologues of Kenji. And Rin... dunno, I just didn't feel her. Maybe not my cup of tea.

Did you play her route yet? I liked her as a friend in all of the other routes but I wasn't sure how I was gonna dig anything past that.

I was a mess of man tears last night after finishing it.

Did you play her route yet? I liked her as a friend in all of the other routes but I wasn't sure how I was gonna dig anything past that.

I was a mess of man tears last night after finishing it.

Fuck, I just wanted to do one walkthrough... But I'm getting curious about how much the personality of every character "changes" when you pick one or another route.

Fuck, I just wanted to do one walkthrough... But I'm getting curious about how much the personality of every character "changes" when you pick one or another route.

I would recommend playing all the routes. They're all very different from one another and Hisao's development is completely specific to each path.

Which one is the most similar to Lilly's path? Or if there isn't any similar, which one is the second best?

This is a hard one to answer because each person will take something different from each path. For me, Emi's pretty much mirrored a relationship with someone very dear to me in the past, so I preferred it most. Shizune's is very different from the rest, focusing more on a three-way friendship. Rin's is an emotional roller coaster. Hanako's is good, but I prefer her development during Lilly's route.

Jintor

I think Lily as Main Girl would possibly be the best choice for a 'single route'-style anime or manga.

But I also think such a thing would be impossible. IMPOSSIBURU

This is a hard one to answer because each person will take something different from each path. For me, Emi's pretty much mirrored a relationship with someone very dear to me in the past, so I preferred it most. Shizune's is very different from the rest, focusing more on a three-way friendship. Rin's is an emotional roller coaster. Hanako's is good, but I prefer her development during Lilly's route.

I know right? (Hanako in Lilly's route spoiler:)
I liked Hanako a lot by the end of Lilly's route.
I think I saw 2 probable outcomes of the social development of Hanako when Lilly and Hisao told her about their relationship.
1.- Hanako would freak out and her social development would go to hell.
2.- Hanako being actually happy for the couple and starting to be more outgoing.
And I'm really glad that she went with number 2. Although... I wouldn't mind seeing number 1.

I think I will do Emi's route next.

I really want to see for myself why everyone is having extra feels for Rin. So I'm about to start her route asap. I want to release the manly tears that I couldn't quite get out in Hanako's route.

Then I'll check out Emi, Shizune and the bad/good endings I missed.

I'm looking forward to Lilly's route the most, so I'm thinking of saving her for last to end on a good note. Is that a good idea?

I really want to see for myself why everyone is having extra feels for Rin. So I'm about to start her route asap. I want to release the manly tears that I couldn't quite get out in Hanako's route.

I'm looking forward to Lilly's route the most, so I'm thinking of saving her for last to end on a good note. Is that a good idea?

Yeah, she's the waifu among waifus.

I think Lilly's is arguably the best route to end on. Shizune's sort of has an overall sense of closure, but it's a bit bittersweet/melancholy?

It's not just the characters that change, Hisao himself changes. As Jintor mentioned, Act 1 seems to be about establishing what kind of person Hisao is, and that change is carried over to whichever girl he pursues. And the characters are much deeper than they appear obviously. Rin appears to be laconic and wishy washy, but there's a damn good reason (and a really sad one at that) as to why she's like that.

SteveO409 said:
So much emotions playing this game....god damn 2012 game of the year
Moar like GAME OF THE FOREVER. I kid, but yeah, this will likely be my 2012 game of the year, unless Bioshock Infinite or The Last of Us will blow my mind and bring the feels. I just can't see anything else affecting me this much.

Jintor said:
I think Lily as Main Girl would possibly be the best choice for a 'single route'-style anime or manga.

But I also think such a thing would be impossible. IMPOSSIBURU
I reject this sentiment. Ojousama does nothing for me. NASINGU

Jintor

She wasn't doing anything for me until the end of the third act, it's true!

I have to try whatsit. To The Moon. I need to see if that's as good as KS. Or maybe the other way around.

Proven

Just finished Hanako's route. The endings beforehand were described to me as good, ok, and bad.

But the "ok" ending is just as bad as the "bad" ending! Misstep is obviously something horrible, but the point that should have been learned after her good ending is that she doesn't want to be treated as a thing to be protected! The other ending, Cut Petals, is just as horrible as the way you treat her in Misstep, the only difference is that her reaction is in the opposite direction! Instead of pushing you away for treating her like that, she resigns to be treated like that for the rest of her life, even from someone that she wanted to be different for her! How can anyone call that "ok"?

Rant over. My final runthrough will be for Rin, the one I liked the most after first impressions.

I think Lilly's is arguably the best route to end on. Shizune's sort of has an overall sense of closure, but it's a bit bittersweet/melancholy?
I'd say Shizune's best to end on, if only because at the end of the day you can't take these girls with you. They leave you with an experience to be treasured, for sure, but you still have to move on with your life without them.

Jintor

Yeah, I do find the "I'm in love with a 2d character" things weird. I mean... this is about Hisao and whoever, not you and whoever. It's easy to conflate the two, but it's something I automatically step around.

Yeah, I do find the "I'm in love with a 2d character" things weird. I mean... this is about Hisao and whoever, not you and whoever. It's easy to conflate the two, but it's something I automatically step around.

Clearly your resolve is weak, and you are not hasubando material. ;)

I'm sure no one here is actually in love with any of these characters and is planning to marry their computer or some shit. The characters just endear themselves to you in the same manner as some players might find with Alyx of HL or April Ryan of Longest Journey.

And the preview for To the Moon at ShackNews was pretty interesting. It seems kind of like Eternal Sunshine in a way. I dig the 16 bit pixel art, but part of me is skeptical in that the artwork is too limited in supplementing/conveying emotion, so the onus is then on the quality of the storytelling. Still, very interesting, and at 4 hours, not a timesink thankfully.

Jintor

I'm sure no one here is actually in love with any of these characters and is planning to marry their computer or some shit. The characters just endear themselves to you in the same manner as some players might find with Alyx of HL or April Ryan of Longest Journey.

I just keep forgetting to put my /v/ and /a/ filters on.

I'd say Shizune's best to end on, if only because at the end of the day you can't take these girls with you. They leave you with an experience to be treasured, for sure, but you still have to move on with your life without them.

I think I liked the idea of Shizune's ending over the execution of it.
I felt like Hisao and Shizune never really clicked, and the whole him telling her he loves her felt awkward, especially without a response from Shizune. Because the whole story was more about the drama of three friends, I never felt like Hisao ever really opened himself up to any of them because he was so busy trying to find a way to be there for the both of them. After I finished it, it just didn't feel as satisfying or filled with closure as Lilly's did I guess.

Closure in terms of graduation, definitely. Just not anything else.

Proven

I think I liked the idea of Shizune's ending over the execution of it.
I felt like Hisao and Shizune never really clicked, and the whole him telling her he loves her felt awkward, especially without a response from Shizune. Because the whole story was more about the drama of three friends, I never felt like Hisao ever really opened himself up to any of them because he was so busy trying to find a way to be there for the both of them. After I finished it, it just didn't feel as satisfying or filled with closure as Lilly's did I guess.

Closure in terms of graduation, definitely. Just not anything else.

More or less agree. Still, afterward I felt a lot more fond of Shizune. I think it's in part because it reminded me of a friend I was close to in high school, and how we graduated. When I finish all the routes and rate them, I'm guessing that Shizune won't be last for me.

I can't even imagine how 4LS must be feeling right now with the kinds of reactions they're getting from this game.

To say that a lot of people like it seems like an understatement.

Top Bottom