• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Downloaded it out of morbid curiosity earlier in the week.

I'm quite impressed. Was extremely well done, and far more tasteful/classy than I was expecting. Not usually one for VNs but I enjoyed this one enough to go through all give routes.

Lilly and Emi's were both fantastic (My opinion helped by the fact most girls I've dated have been somewhere between those two kinds of personalities). Lilly's in particular was so well written, though
I felt crushed when I thought I had gotten her bad ending. I could really relate to Hisao's personality in that route, so until the post credits scene I was just like "damn it ;_;"
. Always been a bit of a hopeless romantic, which is probably another reason why her route appealed to me so much.

I liked Emi's route a lot because I can relate to Emi quite a bit actually (Minus the
whole post-traumatic stress thing
. Far more so than I could Hisao. In fact I thought Hisao was a pretty big idiot in that route.
I had already put 2 and 2 together about Emi's dad, so when they had the big fight at Emi's house and Hisao said what he did about taking it the grave I just facepalmed
. But a great heart-wrenching and heart-warming ending. Though...
Kind of sobering to think of the other routes when you realize that her route is likely the only one where hisao would live past his 30s.

Shizune's was just disappointing. Maybe it was going for a different style, but everything felt
so impersonal. Perhaps thats because of the necessary inclusion of Misha, but it just didn't seem like they were even in anything more than a good friendship, despite the fact hisao and shizune were supposed to be dating.
That and the conflict just didn't seem as well written as the other routes. I thought the ending was disappointing as well...
Theres no closure really. Shizune is just all "Well, hope I'll see you two sometime in the future
, which is part of the reason I think the route felt the way it did.

Oh and Shizune's dad is the most annoying character in the game

Rin's was... depressing. Even ending on a happy note like it did.
Her difficult just trying to even communicate with the outside world at all, whether it be through her words, her paintings, her mannerism's etc.
Definitely worth a play-through, but not one I would end on. Too much of the route was just so heart-wrenching/soul-crushing. Though In a situation like that I would have to commend Hisao,
, don't think I could ever be in a relationship with someone like that. The difficulty in communication would just be too much for me.

Hanako's was... different. I understand what they were going for, and it was definitely well-written, its just not one I was interested in as much. That being said, the whole
white-knighting is just going to cause more problems, particularly in a situation like hers
was really well done. My only real complaint would be that it felt too short. The conflict
just happened too quickly, and the only time you get to see them even have a proper two-sided relationship was during the ending. It would have been nice to see at least a bit more of that, but thats just me

Overall, well done, and I definitely enjoyed it, and was very surprised by just how well done the whole thing was done.

Though I think I may replay Lilly's route, after finishing with Rin and Hanako's routes, I want to end on a slightly higher note than that (in the way I viewed the routes anyways).

Jintor

I'm pretty much with you, Zer. I mean, those are pretty much my exact thoughts. With the exception that I really liked Rin's possibly because it was so depressing.

Order of completion: Rin -> Emi -> Hanako -> Shizune -> Lilly

I won't do personal preference, but I'll say that I enjoyed Shizune's and Hanako's less than the others.

Lilly's was an unexpected surprise, I expected it to be all Ojousama~ and for it not to affect me as much as it did, but I bad ended it and broke down crying, lol.
Long-distance relationships don't work out.

I kind of wish we could have a PA thread on it Zer but given their general attitude to anime at all, nevermind eroge, it's never going to happen

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I've already read all the spoilers, I still want a Misha path.

Pffft, Misha.

uAtWi.png

Why isn't she a main girl?

^^^

Jintor

I might wait a few days for my mind to clear and/or to finish all the bad ends, then try and make some kind of single timeline throwing in as many of the events and feels as possible without horrifically crashing and burning. It might be possible with Lilly as main girl. Might.

Venfayth

Lilly and Emi's were both fantastic (My opinion helped by the fact most girls I've dated have been somewhere between those two kinds of personalities). Lilly's in particular was so well written, though
I felt crushed when I thought I had gotten her bad ending. I could really relate to Hisao's personality in that route, so until the post credits scene I was just like "damn it ;_;"
. Always been a bit of a hopeless romantic, which is probably another reason why her route appealed to me so much.

I liked Emi's route a lot because I can relate to Emi quite a bit actually (Minus the
whole post-traumatic stress thing
. Far more so than I could Hisao. In fact I thought Hisao was a pretty big idiot in that route.
I had already put 2 and 2 together about Emi's dad, so when they had the big fight at Emi's house and Hisao said what he did about taking it the grave I just facepalmed
. But a great heart-wrenching and heart-warming ending. Though...
Kind of sobering to think of the other routes when you realize that her route is likely the only one where hisao would live past his 30s.

Shizune's was just disappointing. Maybe it was going for a different style, but everything felt
so impersonal. Perhaps thats because of the necessary inclusion of Misha, but it just didn't seem like they were even in anything more than a good friendship, despite the fact hisao and shizune were supposed to be dating.
That and the conflict just didn't seem as well written as the other routes. I thought the ending was disappointing as well...
Theres no closure really. Shizune is just all "Well, hope I'll see you two sometime in the future
, which is part of the reason I think the route felt the way it did.

Oh and Shizune's dad is the most annoying character in the game

All of this. Definitely.

I was hoping, that after how much of an asshole Shizune's dad was, you got some kind of victory over him or something.

Just got to work for the morning and a co-worker wanted to see something on my computer. The first thing that popped up in my browser was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNXpHREyEWA&feature=related

Wow, haha, that's actually really catchy. Got a great flow to it.

Jintor

I didn't even really get why he was there, to be perfectly honest.
He didn't even function well as comic relief because he was too overbearing (even moreso than Kenji) and he wasn't a simply crazy character, he was both crazy and antagonistic, meaning it was an unsuccessful attempt to mix drama with hilarity, and didn't manage either. It was like meeting a racist Saxon Hale.

I might wait a few days for my mind to clear and/or to finish all the bad ends, then try and make some kind of single timeline throwing in as many of the events and feels as possible without horrifically crashing and burning. It might be possible with Lilly as main girl. Might.

Do it. DO IT.

I for one, can't wait for the wave of terrible fan fiction this game will spawn. I can almost feel the KenjiXHisao/MutuoXHisao stories oozing out of those greasy fingers onto cheetos dusted keyboards

Jintor

I'm legitimately tempted to practice doing a manga using the script, since all I have to worry about is pure storytelling and not writing. Some of that shit is dramatic as fuck. But I think I'll sort out the timeline first.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I for one, can't wait for the wave of terrible fan fiction this game will spawn. I can almost feel the KenjiXHisao/MutuoXHisao stories oozing out of those greasy fingers onto cheetos dusted keyboards

What's worse, is when they start modding the game and adding those scenarios themselves.

Sounds interesting.

Pancakes

...in a way, you just ruined my day with this horrible hypothetical.

I try my best.

If they can mod more of an actual romance between Shizune and Hisao then i'm all for it.

That would be nice, if there wasn't a large chance of it being horribly written. Adding a couple scenes and text isn't too rough however, writing a decent storyline is probably a huge challenge.

Hanako's was... different. I understand what they were going for, and it was definitely well-written, its just not one I was interested in as much. That being said, the whole
white-knighting is just going to cause more problems, particularly in a situation like hers
was really well done. My only real complaint would be that it felt too short. The conflict
just happened too quickly, and the only time you get to see them even have a proper two-sided relationship was during the ending. It would have been nice to see at least a bit more of that, but thats just me

You voiced the sentiments that I couldn't quite put into words earlier in this thread. I felt like
Hanako was going at the pace of a snail throughout the 97% VN and then she spends the last couple of minutes airing out all her problems in sentences consisting of more than 3 words. Hanako's drama bomb confrontation happened way too close to the end, and that I wasn't sold on the 2 minute make-up. There would probably be less feels to be had, but I would have preferred it if Hanako confronted Hisao before they spent the night together just to spend a little more time exploring and winning back this new, very vocal, forthright Hanako. I felt like the Hanako I spent 10 hours chasing disappeared and the true Hanako appeared at the park, but I never got a chance to get to know her.

I loved the concept, I just wish the events happened in a slightly different order or that the route lasted a few minutes longer.

Pancakes

You voiced the sentiments that I couldn't quite put into words earlier in this thread. I felt like
Hanako was going at the pace of a snail throughout the 97% VN and then she spends the last couple of minutes airing out all her problems in sentences consisting of more than 3 words. Hanako's drama bomb confrontation happened way too close to the end, and that I wasn't sold on the 2 minute make-up. There would probably be less feels to be had, but I would have preferred it if Hanako confronted Hisao before they spent the night together just to spend a little more time exploring and winning back this new, very vocal, forthright Hanako. I felt like the Hanako I spent 10 hours chasing disappeared and the true Hanako appeared at the park, but I never got a chance to get to know her.

I think I recall reading in that little history blog that someone posted earlier, that Hanako's story got completely scrapped and rewritten at some point.

It's too bad about the mixed reactions to Shizune's storyline as she has a strong potential in terms of a storyline worth exploring, what with her inability to communicate without Misha around. I'm assuming Hisao has to learn some rudimentary sign language, but just conveying what she feels through body language etc would make for a very interesting challenge. I hope they at least succeed on that end. I can see it very difficult to have a sort of climax/resolution for her character as well without dragging Misha in to interpret which I can't see ending in any other way other than Wahahahaha~ etc.

Jman2050 said:
Mods to the existing game would suck.

Now a fighting game spinoff on the other hand...

I'm sure the nerds at /v/ are inserting the sprites into Mugen as we speak...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can see why some people might not like Shizune's all that much, but I really liked it. It was the first one I did so that might help color why, but I atleast think the image you get at the end has been my favorite in the game.

I can see why some people might not like Shizune's all that much, but I really liked it. It was the first one I did so that might help color why, but I atleast think the image you get at the end has been my favorite in the game.

I liked it a bit aswell, it was the second last one I did. I think it's might be that I really liked her character more than the actual story route maybe?

Soma

It's too bad about the mixed reactions to Shizune's storyline as she has a strong potential in terms of a storyline worth exploring, what with her inability to communicate without Misha around. I'm assuming Hisao has to learn some rudimentary sign language, but just conveying what she feels through body language etc would make for a very interesting challenge. I hope they at least succeed on that end. I can see it very difficult to have a sort of climax/resolution for her character as well without dragging Misha in to interpret which I can't see ending in any other way other than Wahahahaha~ etc.

Ah if you haven't gone through her route yet, then it's still worth going through, imo. While I was a bit disappointed, some of the events that unfolded were still pretty interesting and entertaining. I think since her arc was the second one I went into directly after finishing Emi's path, I guess I went into it with a certain mindset that just wasn't fulfilled by the end. Like it's been mentioned before it's usually the first girl that paints your expectations for the rest.

notworksafe

Like it's been mentioned before it's usually the first girl that paints your expectations for the rest.
Very true. After Rin's, I didn't even want to play the game anymore. I thought all the routes were as crushing emotionally as hers. Thank goodness that isn't the case.

Very true. After Rin's, I didn't even want to play the game anymore. I thought all the routes were as crushing emotionally as hers. Thank goodness that isn't the case.

I'm so glad I had decided to save Rin's for last. I don't think I could have handled the emotional beatdown unprepared.

I think I recall reading in that little history blog that someone posted earlier, that Hanako's story got completely scrapped and rewritten at some point.

Yeah, I just read that! It sounds like she was the most difficult character to write for out of all the girls. I hope Four Leaf Studios releases some info on what the Hanako's character development and overall story was like before the rewrite.

Jintor

I also think that they skipped out on Hisao having more difficulties learning sign language, which I thought would have been a problem. I don't know sign language so my criticisms might not really be valid, but I figured it'd be more than a few weeks before he could start being quite so... loquacious.

I also think that they skipped out on Hisao having more difficulties learning sign language, which I thought would have been a problem. I don't know sign language so my criticisms might not really be valid, but I figured it'd be more than a few weeks before he could start being quite so... loquacious.

Shizunes route seems to encompass alot more time than the others, I think all of the others finiish at about the time act 3 starts for hers.

He was taking classes, getting tutored and spending all day watching people sign for a few weeks but I still don't think that would allow him to be so communicative. There should have been more attention paid to this aspect, more time spent on them having difficulties comunicating and the frustrations associated with that.

Jintor

Okay, between this and the other thing I've got too much Katawa Shoujo on the brain. I'm going to go flagellate myself in Dark Souls for a bit.

I'll be back in an article with some sketches, if I can get this scanner working, and something I wrote.

Having learned sign language when I was 12 (my school had deaf students so it was required we all learned it), it's not terribly hard like some spoken languages. And even when you don't know how to sign a word, you scan still spell it out and be understood. Obviously Japanese signing is different than English signing, but it's definitely doable if you're really into learning and communicating.

Okay, between this and the other thing I've got too much Katawa Shoujo on the brain. I'm going to go flagellate myself in Dark Souls for a bit.

I'll be back in an article with some sketches, if I can get this scanner working, and something I wrote.

I think it's been mentioned once that you're a journalist, but which publication do you write for out of curiosity?

Shizunes route seems to encompass alot more time than the others, I think all of the others finiish at about the time act 3 starts for hers.

Hisao transfers in June, the Japanese school year ends in March, it takes up 10 months.

I don't think any of the other routes even get past Summer Break.

Thoraxes

I didn't really like Rin's route as much as others did, nor find it feels-worthy... But that's because i've literally experienced pretty much everything that happened on her route, so my feels were used up for that a little earlier in my life is all. So far though, I still think it's definitely my second-favorite.

I didn't really like Rin's route as much as others did, nor find it feels-worthy... But that's because i've literally experienced pretty much everything that happened on her route, so my feels were used up for that a little earlier in my life is all. So far though, I still think it's definitely my second-favorite.

It's not my favourite, prefer Lilly's and Emi's but it was the one that affected me the most emotionally.

Top Bottom