• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

I had to prematurely end my RPJ because I had to get my Hanako picture in ASAP. It was a hard decision to pick between Hanako playing pool and Hanako lying in bed smirking at you.

It's a nice choice, but I still feel bad about the whole thing afterwards.

Yeah, that was a punch to the stomach.

Oh god, I'm breaking my promise about not playing until February. Now, I'm on the second act of Emi. I cannot resist the urge to play. Damn me for only having a (unbootcamp) Macbook on me now (and drinking coffee)!

woah, I love this picture because the scars look more like scars and not like a strong sunburn @ingame Hanako.

pretty intensive

According to the medical consultants they asked when making the game, Hanako's ingame scars were more severe than expected for someone of her circumstances, because they occurred relatively long ago and she also have taken corrective skin surgery.

Jintor

I've been thinking about it more and I think that Hanako's neutral ending might in some ways be even worse than her bad ending.
Hisao essentially breaks her will and convinces her that she's always going to need protection from the world. Even the bad ending at least makes her realise what white knighting has done for her.
I just so sorely wished the entire thing had been better paced.

Shizune's may not be the longest but it certainly feels like it's the longest.

I heard Shizune is the shortest of the five. I believe the ordering is (from shortest-to-longest): Shizune, Emi, Hanako, Lilly, and Rin.

I'll probably end this game up with Rin too. Though, I'll probably replay Hanako and Lilly because they're awesome.

Danj

I've been playing this a shitload this weekend. Done Emi, then Lilly (dat ending!) and now starting on Shizune. So good. I don't think a VN has held my attention this much since Fate/Stay Night.

I've been playing this a shitload this weekend. Done Emi, then Lilly (dat ending!) and now starting on Shizune. So good. I don't think a VN has held my attention this much since Fate/Stay Night.

What makes Fate/Stay Night great? I've heard little about it (but I have also just entered the VN scene). Also, this is how I felt about any game from 2011. I haven't felt this hook by a game in a LONG time.

Lilly's ending is pretty amazing. Good luck with Shuzune. I'm currently working on Emi.

Yeah, that was a punch to the stomach.

Oh god, I'm breaking my promise about not playing until February. Now, I'm on the second act of Emi. I cannot resist the urge to play. Damn me for only having a (unbootcamp) Macbook on me now (and drinking coffee)!

I feel you man. Only thing for me is that I have a bad Habit of starting a game and needing to finish it on the spot. Doesn't help that this game has me soo addicted. No other thing has done this to me besides Castlevania HD.

How long is Rin in comparison to the rest? I heard it's the longest one and I think I'll do it last.

Emi was my longest as it was the first (logically) about 10 hours.
Shizune and Rin were both like 5 hours each.
And yeah, Shizune feels the longest becuase is really boring, and even had to pass fast some of the thoughts of Hisao.

Proven

I've been thinking about it more and I think that Hanako's neutral ending might in some ways be even worse than her bad ending.
Hisao essentially breaks her will and convinces her that she's always going to need protection from the world. Even the bad ending at least makes her realise what white knighting has done for her.
I just so sorely wished the entire thing had been better paced.

I railed on about this when I first finished Hanako's path. It's not a "neutral" ending. She has a good ending and two bad endings.

Jintor

I wonder if any commercial games made these days put nearly as much thought into the journeys of their characters as these dudes did. I guess they probably couldn't, since they have to deal with gameplay constraints as well, but...

I wonder if any commercial games made these days put nearly as much thought into the journeys of their characters as these dudes did. I guess they probably couldn't, since they have to deal with gameplay constraints as well, but...

Persona 4? That's the best I can think of that have been a commercial success.

Jintor

Even Persona 4 is kind of blunt about it (since it sets up the dungeons), although their post-shadow development is more nuanced.

I've mentioned Planescape before, and it's a different type of story (being primarily about the idea of a blank slate, what it means to be a person and how you determine your own life... in my reading, at least) but it does a similar thing of character development and investment.

I made the mistake of offering to write a feature on this thing.

Dear god what have I done?

Spread the Gospels of Katawa Shoujo. People must know about the blind messiah who led her people out of slavery. And the burnt girl who delayed the advancing army who allowed the blind messiah to be successful in her endeavors.

For who? It's not too hard, bro.

Japanator. I was initially just going to write a traditional review/Japanator Recommends piece, but then it snowballed. Hahaha.

My only concern is that you and others have covered the important stuff really well, but I suppose more coverage is better than none. Heh.

Spread the Gospels of Katawa Shoujo. People must know about the blind messiah who led her people out of slavery. And the burnt girl who delayed the advancing army who allowed the blind messiah to be successful in her endeavors.

Soo much wrong in that sentence.....I love it. Ahh screw it, guess I'll finish emi's route since I have so much free time

What makes Fate/Stay Night great?

Fate/Stay Night is, at it's core, a very good action fantasy story slash character study. It uses the "route" thing that Visual Novels set up to expand upon the character's involved. Unlike many other Visual Novels, each of the three routes must be played in order. It's literally impossible to play them out of order.

The main character, Shirou, is very different. Dispite being the main character and the narrator, a significant part of the story is getting to understand his worldview.

P90

I'd say Persona 4. I hope P5 allows a max romance social link to have more of an impact on the story and add battle combos.

Damn, Hanako's path was going to be more like Higurashi? I would've liked that :/

The interview intrigued me to check out Higurashi. That was a good twenty minutes spent. Though, it (mostly) confirmed my fear of the studio will probably die.

Edit: Emi's spoiler for Act III:
The anal scene was disturbing. So far, I've felt awkward leaving the adult scenes for Emi unlike Hanako or Lilly. The slight loliness is getting to me.

Oh.. what is this... this feeling...
Im sad... and happy...

Im nearly at the end of Hanako's path and im dying here.
So.fucking.adorable

Doesnt help that Lilly is also in the majority of her path, both are ARGGGG!

I dont think I can do her too bad endings, I dont think is possible for me :(

I'd say Persona 4. I hope P5 allows a max romance social link to have more of an impact on the story and add battle combos.

Im with you here, I would love if in future Person'as max social links had more impact on characters and the main story.

Danj

I dont think I can do her too bad endings, I dont think is possible for me :(

Yeah I honestly don't think I am gonna do any of the bad endings (well except for the Kenji one which I got by accident my first playthrough, and that was kind of funny in a black humour sort of way). The good ones are already enough of an emotional roller coaster.

StayDead

All these people with bad opinions insulting my waifu's route. What has the world come to!

6749706077_6bc581bd02_o.gif

Shizune's route is all about the journey of it all, you find out why it looks like she's harsh to everyone and how seriously sweet her character is. All the stuff she's been through over her first year at the school and all the stuff beforehand.

Her Dad really annoyed me, he never made one bit of effort to learn sign language to communicate with his own daughter which is bad enough, but when you find out that shizune really looks up to her dad it was quite sad really as even though she couldn't communicate with him openly she still cared about him and he's the reason why she's so determined to do well and help others do the same and be more efficient.

Rin route is best route, but it's kind of...unfair.

The story was really, really frustrating not just because of
Hisao and Rin's inability to connect, but also because of meta/personal reasons: the art teacher's appearance/behavior, Hisao's unthinking embrace of Rin's foray into chainsmoking, the way the writer/Hisao considered Rin trying to shlick(and Hisao's assistance) to be so profoundly destructive/shameful/wrong, and the scarcity of romance in a romance game. So when the wall comes tumbling down and Rin's own frustration comes pouring out after the art teacher goes off on her it was incredibly cathartic and arresting.
It then doubles back and pulls this move again when
Rin shows up at Hisao's door and her theme song comes on, jarringly and maddeningly derailing the incredible mood that the prior scenes managed to achieve -- only to transition into a serene sex scene that would be terribly cliche and mundane in almost any other context.

It's sort of like the concept of "so bad it's good," but not really.

Edit: Emi's spoiler for Act III:
The anal scene was disturbing. So far, I've felt awkward leaving the adult scenes for Emi unlike Hanako or Lilly. The slight loliness is getting to me.

This is something that's been confusing me. Until I saw other people mentioning it, the thought that Emi could be seen as a loli never even crossed my mind. She's not even flat, and
her view of sex is fairly mature.

Hanako, on the other hand, comes across as younger than the rest of the cast and is repeatedly compared to a child. (Hanako spoilers)
Fortunately, she ends up being a much more mature person than I first thought, and her reveal(HURR) shows that she's got the boobies to match.

Danj

Took a break to play some more Katawa Crash, ended up unlocking the Shizune Multiball Infinite Rumba mode
well OK it's not completely infinite, you can still die off other characters like Gendo for example
and got myself a new personal best:

W5MPy.png

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
This is something that's been confusing me. Until I saw other people mentioning it, the thought that Emi could be seen as a loli never even crossed my mind. She's not even flat, and
her view of sex is fairly mature.

Hanako, on the other hand, comes across as younger than the rest of the cast and is repeatedly compared to a child. (Hanako spoilers)
Fortunately, she ends up being a much more mature person than I first thought, and her reveal(HURR) shows that she's got the boobies to match.

I agree to an extent. Emi does look the part of a "loli" comparatively speaking, but is never really portrayed that way throughout her story... and it would've bothered me if she were.
It's ironic that she actually seems the most mature of the group, approaching all her relationships in a very adult, believable (if misguided) way.

Im thinking...
With all the praise all the routes are having minus Shizune's one, whats the opinon of the writer of that route to being the least loved of all the games routes.

It has to be a hard blow.

Dresden

What makes Fate/Stay Night great? I've heard little about it (but I have also just entered the VN scene). Also, this is how I felt about any game from 2011. I haven't felt this hook by a game in a LONG time.

Lilly's ending is pretty amazing. Good luck with Shuzune. I'm currently working on Emi.

Fate/Stay Night is mostly shit. UBW is fun though, as one of the three routes in the game.

Top Bottom