• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Not surprising about Shizune, since the people in here keep shitting on it. Sad to hear about not pursuing Emi's route.

I decided to do a girl a month. I'll save Rin for last, but trying to decide if I should do Shizune or Emi for February.

Yeah, everyone seems to hate on Shizune's, but I think it's unfortunate if people are skipping over Emi's. It's really very good.

I actually like the "girl a month" approach... too bad I'm addicted. I think it properly lets you digest the previous story and experience the next one with a fresh perspective.

Venfayth

Yeah, everyone seems to hate on Shizune's, but I think it's unfortunate if people are skipping over Emi's. It's really very good.

I actually like the "girl a month" approach... too bad I'm addicted. I think it properly lets you digest the previous story and experience the next one with a fresh perspective.

Pretty sure I made myself physically ill with this game. It'd be smart to pace yourself.

Also, Emi was my first route, and I'm torn between her and Lilly.

It's more for my own personal health. Given the chance, I would just sit down and just play this game until I completed everything. I am suffering through withdrawals as I type. I, at least, completed the vital routes.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
It's more for my own personal health. Given the chance, I would just sit down and just play this game until I completed everything. I am suffering through withdrawals as I type. I, at least, completed the vital routes.

Good call. I marathoned through all the routes and was a mess for several days.

Yep I really liked Emi's route. Shizune's route, not so much. In fact, the best part of that route is the moments that you talk alone with Misha, the rest, from the too boring day by day situations to the dreadful family scenes, are horrible.

Tess3ract

Banned
I heard there was hentai in this? Is that true or is it just like basic visual novel stuff?

I don't really care one way or the other, I just hear a lot of good things from it and think it would be weird.

I heard there was hentai in this? Is that true or is it just like basic visual novel stuff?

I don't really care one way or the other, I just hear a lot of good things from it and think it would be weird.

Yes, but there's an option to disable them in the main menu, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

There are sex scenes in this game, but it's secondary. Also, you can disable those scenes (apparently, you look at mice and random ass items during those scenes), so everyone wins.

XeroSauce

I don't plan on doing the Shizune or Emi routes. All that's left is Rin.

Emi's was my first and I enjoyed it, I think you should try it at least once! It's a fresh perspective

Yep I really liked Emi's route. Shizune's route, not so much. In fact, the best part of that route is the moments that you talk alone with Misha, the rest, from the too boring day by day situations to the dreadful family scenes, are horrible.

Sent you a PM.

The only reason I want to do Shizune is because of Misha. Why is there not a Misha path?! She was my favorite character when I started. I'm definitely going to take a small break to get a handle on myself before I start the next one.

Emi's was my first and I enjoyed it, I think you should try it at least once! It's a fresh perspective

Sent you a PM.

The only reason I want to do Shizune is because of Misha. Why is there not a Misha path?! She was my favorite character when I started. I'm definitely going to take a small break to get a handle on myself before I start the next one.

They only made paths for the original 5 girls from the initial sketch.

Hanako's casual outfit is the best outfit.

VL2Zr.png

lY51S.png

PB27n.jpg

Dat hat.

Shirokun

I keep having to take breaks from this game. I've played through Emi and Hanako's routes and the emotions are getting to be too much for me. It doesn't help that two of the people I've cared about greatly in life have mental issues resulting from disabilities. I just can't stop thinking about people I care about when I play this. : (

Sent you a PM.

Dont read it if you dont want to be spoiled, but is stupid, not because of being like that, but because of how is written.
she is lesbian, well, she really isnt lesbian, it the typical mediocre school anime situation where she is in love with her friend, but could also like guys
Misha was also my favoutire character from the start and when you are doing the Shizune route you can see perfectly that Misha could have had a route alone for her (and I suppose the people doing the game had some kind of sessions were they discussed which one to do), changing what I said before for
jealousy because she also likes you
and be better written.
If a mod brings a long this route change I will gladly install it if its better written, something not very difficult seeing that Shizune's path is horrible and boring.

Reading some comments here i did Shizune's route the second one, after emi being chosen by my own choices the first time I played. Better have dissapointment in the middle that on my last playthorughs. Also the Misha thing didnt help. Now im playing Rin, which im founding very interesting, and then doing Hanako and then Lily, as it was the girl I wanted doing her route after Misha, and people have talked good things about her, finishing in ahigh note.

Danj

Had my first playthrough of Katawa Shoujo today and it was entirely unsuccessful, I got a BAD END.
And not even with a girl, I fell off a roof drunk on Kenji's whiskey
. And I don't even know what I did wrong.

I don't suppose there's a walkthrough for this thing? Or, say, liner notes to assist socially impaired people such as myself?

I don't know how anyone could play through the game in one session. Maybe it just took me way too long or something but I played for about an hour a day and it still took me over ten hours to get through Hanako's route.

If I included Act I's playtime, then it probably would be about ten hours. This is why Katawa may very well be my GOTY. I haven't been attached to a game in this long where I had to see what would happened next.

And I'm on the bandwagon of Hanako casual outfit, best attire ever. Dat hat. Too much.

It's good to see people appreciating Hanako in her casual outfit. Very swag.

My favorite was Hanako
drunk. I think it's cute when non-party people get inebriated and loosen up.

XeroSauce

Dont read it if you dont want to be spoiled, but is stupid, not because of being like that, but because of how is written.
she is lesbian, well, she really isnt lesbian, it the typical mediocre school anime situation where she is in love with her friend, but could also like guys
Misha was also my favoutire character from the start and when you are doing the Shizune route you can see perfectly that Misha could have had a route alone for her (and I suppose the people doing the game had some kind of sessions were they discussed which one to do), changing what I said before for
jealousy because she also likes you
and be better written.
If a mod brings a long this route change I will gladly install it if its better written, something not very difficult seeing that Shizune's path is horrible and boring.

Reading some comments here i did Shizune's route the second one, after emi being chosen by my own choices the first time I played. Better have dissapointment in the middle that on my last playthorughs. Also the Misha thing didnt help. Now im playing Rin, which im founding very interesting, and then doing Hanako and then Lily, as it was the girl I wanted doing her route after Misha, and people have talked good things about her, finishing in ahigh note.

Not going to open the spoilers but I think I understand what you are getting at; Misha's an important part of Shizune's path, as well as useful in the other ones, so she's not considered a "main" character, even though her personality speaks out.

My favourite image tends towards this:
lSBky.png

I remember seeing it a LONG time ago and I thought it was hilarious. Didn't even realize it was Misha 'til reading the blog

Hanako hnnnggg!

kRbWx.jpg

I just had a goddamn dream which shaped itself as I was dreaming into being about Lilly. Too much katawa.

I had a similar dream two nights back where my dreams were simply Katawa Shoujo. Then I woke up, and it became impossible to sleep again, since my mind was simply on Katawa for an hour or two. This is one way (of many ways) I determine GOTY material.

I realized if this came out a few days before the end of the year, this probably would have been my #1 title for 2011.

Also, the video game club I am VP for just had an argument about Katawa Shoujo and its legitimacy/greatness that lasted over 250 posts, and it is still continuing. We have never reached a 100 posts on anything else.

Jintor

I had a similar dream two nights back where my dreams were simply Katawa Shoujo. Then I woke up, and it became impossible to sleep again, since my mind was simply on Katawa for an hour or two. This is one way (of many ways) I determine GOTY material.

I realized if this came out a few days before the end of the year, this probably would have been my #1 title for 2011.

Also, the video game club I am VP for just had an argument about Katawa Shoujo and its legitimacy/greatness that lasted over 250 posts, and it is still continuing. We have never reached a 100 posts on anything else.

Early year titles always get the short stick. I just felt lucky I managed to get Ghost Trick mentioned on this year's GOTY discussion for the place where I work.

Im doing Rin's route right now and is really interesting.
Just some days ago I graduated from my Fine Arts university, and how they talk about art in the game is pretty deep. Also how shitty is the art industry.
And also the thoughts the characters have in this route are pretty deep.

I dont like the smoking scene, I dont think it brought anaything to the table, but whatever.

OMG Aero

Next you must have a discussion about who is the best character then post the results here.

Got a link to that, Attackthebase? I'm always down to lurk a Katawa discussion.

Yeah, I'll place the link in here. You'll have to join the group, but I'll approve you. Show my school how awesome Katawa truly is! (There are two threads in the group around 130, the current thread is 148.) Represent, my Katawa lovers!

Guy got link, now gone.

Next you must have a discussion about who is the best character then post the results here.

That's the plan when the discussion starts to waiver in a few months, I'll bring up the best characters after I do all five girls.

Jintor

Yeah, I'll place the link in here. You'll have to join the group, but I'll approve you. Show my school how awesome Katawa truly is! (There are two threads in the group around 130, the current thread is 148.) Represent, my Katawa lovers!

Dude, don't do that. This is your uni club, not internets anonymous.

Thanks for the link! Nice discussion going on there, but I yeah I didn't realize that it was a Facebook thing. I thought it'd be another faceless forum. You can keep that exclusive to the people you know from your university! You've got plenty of people talking Katawa already.

I just had a goddamn dream which shaped itself as I was dreaming into being about Lilly. Too much katawa.

Haha, yeah I had one too not to long ago. Can't remember any of it cause I was half asleep, half awake. Probably happened since I've been avoiding it to get some decent sleep and I still got 3 other routes to do.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Dang, everyone is getting KS avatars...I might change to one myself after RPJ.

likeGdid

This was the first VN I played (unless you count 999 and Phoenix Wright), and I never understood the appeal of waifus, but damnit, dat Hanako got me hnnnnggghing.

Top Bottom