• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

No matter how I much I love this game, I know not to make it a wallpaper on my Mac...I might do that on my PC though, and give my Macbook my Alice wallpaper.
CATawa shoujo. The cute kitty picture. My guess is it was the giant Pink Misha cat everywhere (because it was a tile wallpaper) that set him off.

Just finished the game. Holy shit, I absolutely loved this game. I can't believe it took about seven hours to complete one character's story (four and a half just in Hanako's ark). It's a tad early to say, but this may seriously compete for my personal game of the year. I haven't felt so emotionally attached in a game for a long, long time.

I'll probably put this away for the time being, the last few days, my mind been stuck on Katawa Shoujo, and I have homework that I need to finished and sleep to catch up on. I wish there was a way to actually purchase this game, I feel like I should be spending money on this wonderful VN title.

Btw, is there an OST?

LuchaShaq

Banned
God damn this is a bad excuse. It doesn't change the fact that the game uses disabled girls as a selling point. The sad thing is that it's working, as evidenced by this thread. And that really only proves my point.

And I really don't need to play it to be saying the things I'm saying. I am disabled and this is the way the game's concept makes me feel. That is enough.

As weird as it initially sounds to me I don't see why someone having an attraction to the disabled is inherently disgusting or evil as long as any fulfillment of their fetish is with people of age and of sound mind (aka an amputee is fine but mental disability would be a different story).

Jintor

CATawa shoujo. The cute kitty picture. My guess is it was the giant Pink Misha cat everywhere (because it was a tile wallpaper) that set him off.

Tbh tile wallpapers are terrible anyway. Would've been better with just white space surrounding it.

Btw, is there an OST?

They'll be releasing one eventually, don't know when though.

In my dreams it's by live musicians ;__;

They'll be releasing one eventually, don't know when though.

In my dreams it's by live musicians ;__;

Guess I'll wait then.

By the way, I really want to fullscreen this game on my (Lion) Macbook. Is there any way to force it? (The option is grayed out.) I really want to play this on fullscreen during Lilly's path without resorting to use my PC, since I would be unable to skip the scenes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Shizune's Route Act 3:

"Please comfort me Hicchan. Just for today."

WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME GAME
i'm so fucked up now

edit: I chose to
comfort her
. NICE BOAT ENDING HERE I COME

Soma

Aight finished Hanako's route finally.

At first i was all "eh i guess this should amusing, I mean I don't really find her that great of a cha-"

http://i.imgur.com/aTzxE.png

...DAMNIT. ;___;

All in all I thought her route was fun. The
sex scene made me feel so bad though. I realize why she let it happen but man I just felt so wrong as it happened.
I think it ended a bit too fast though. It was like aww that was it?

As it stands for me (thus far): Lilly > Hanako = Emi > Shizune

So is shizune's bad route better than the good one? lol
I have saved the choice to do it later, im now in the good route, but I really wanted to do the bad one
Comforting Misha
I know people said to wait because she does something that makes her route impossible to do, but Im here and as time passes im even more baffled of what she really does to not have one.
If at the end is something abut her being
lesbian
it was horribly written. Typical mediocre school anime shitty story.

Seems i nedd to contune playing, but Shizune route has sucked a lot and the only good thing about the route is the times where you are talking with Misha alone. Also i love both of her
hairstyles

EDIT:
Ok she is
lesbian
Fucking horribly written route. Thank god I played it the second one to end the game with better characters.
BTW Shizunes family part was also horrible and boring.
Someone needs to mod a new route for Misha ASAP.

Shizune's Bad End is awful. Not heart-wrenching awful like Hanako's, but boring lame awful.

I still have to get her Good End.

Meh, I knew it would be something like that.
After finishing two routes you can clearly see that the writters are completly different people.

EDIT:
Oh great, Shizune's
family
in the good ending. Not even the good ending is good, oh shit, so boring.

Finally got my account approved and just wanted to use my first post to say thanks for this VN. Really enjoying it and I've finished all the routes except for Shizune, which I'm going through right now.

Emi is best route

Aight finished Hanako's route finally.

At first i was all "eh i guess this should amusing, I mean I don't really find her that great of a cha-"

http://i.imgur.com/aTzxE.png

...DAMNIT. ;___;
Lol! I saved at the split where you could pick between Lilly or Hanako and was all like, yeah, I'll roll with Lilly... Then Insaw that and was like... God dammit :l

KS has been put on hold. Just discovered that there is an English patch for Steins;Gate available for the iOS version and I am overjoyed. Just cleared out 5 GB from my phone and am DLing it now. $35 too, which is a bargain compared to the 360's $60, and this version is based on the 360 ver. The patch should be compatible with iPad too.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Lol! I saved at the split where you could pick between Lilly or Hanako and was all like, yeah, I'll roll with Lilly... Then Insaw that and was like... God dammit :l

KS has been put on hold. Just discovered that there is an English patch for Steins;Gate available for the iOS version and I am overjoyed. Just cleared out 5 GB from my phone and am DLing it now. $35 too, which is a bargain compared to the 360's $60, and this version is based on the 360 ver. The patch should be compatible with iPad too.

You think it's worth playing if you've already seen the anime?

You think it's worth playing if you've already seen the anime?

I just finished the anime and loved it. I understand that they cut out quite a bit to condense it into 24 eps. Either way, the game is supposedly non linear so there are likely a lot of ending routes and scenes not in the anime. That and I want to support a VN/ADV market on iOS. I mean, damn, take Capcom for instance, all of Ace Attorney is on the Japanese store and we only have Phoenix Wright :l

I'll let you know how the patch is, but I was watching a short walk thru on YouTube, of a guy playin on his iPhone 4 and it looked really good. Patch is supposed to take 2 minutes or so to inplement. I JB my phone so I could do it without a PC even.

The music for this game really is beautiful. I hope they release the OST soon.

I gotta agree with you. So many solid pieces from this game. I actually got 'Painful Memories' as my ringtone. I love this game too much. Had an argument with a friend about it that was eerily similar to Zane's argument.

It kinda sucks that it's easily understandable why people would assume such things. It would be nice if there was a way to convince people that it's not what the think.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The official VN thread is too big and scary so I'll ask here. Is Saya No Uta actually scary? I see it listed in the OP of that thread and it seems to highly regarded.

The official VN thread is too big and scary so I'll ask here. Is Saya No Uta actually scary? I see it listed in the OP of that thread and it seems to highly regarded.

You know, we also actually have a Saya no Uta thread.

Anyway, yeah, you could call it scary. I think the bigger draw is that it's super disturbing and unnerving more than flat out scary, but it's definitely something that would give children (and probably most adults too) nightmares.

I've played pretty much every horror game out there and I'm a pretty big horror buff, so my tolerance level is probably higher than your average person, but I'd categorize Saya no Uta as "twisted" and "disturbing". It's a highly oppressive experience. Practically every scene, music piece, character interaction, and description in the game is either depressing or discomforting. The premise of the game is actually quite fascinating. The main character is a young man who is involved in a car accident and after undergoing brain surgery, his senses are somehow rewired so that everything "normal" appears to be decrepit, rotting, and nightmarish, and everything "morbid" appears to be normal. So his surroundings and any normal person he encounters is vile and disgusting, the scent of something like flowers smells like rotting flesh to him. They get a lot of mileage out of this concept. Amidst it all, he encounters a strange girl named Saya, who is the only person in the hospital to have a normal appearance. The game is then about his relationship with this strange girl. I'd recommend playing it if the plot sounds interesting. About the only thing I didn't like was that Saya was drawn to look very "loli" in appearance, and that just added another layer to the disturbing factor. That, and I believe the game only allows you to make exactly two choices, so it's a visual novel in a literal sense.

If this sounds interesting to you, and you're in the mood for something creepy, by all means give it a shot.

I just finished Lilly's path. Shit was great.
I'm surprised the sex scene happened in Act III. I expected it to happen on Act IV. It's a good thing I left the student lounge right before the sex scene.
I still like Hanako's path a little more, but I usually like my stories antsy. Lilly's path is certainly more romantic. I'm really happy this game had different writers for each heroine, since it shines when a story has its own little theme compared to other paths.

I'll probably put this game away for the time being and play it later. It's getting bad when I am neglecting to talk to people or hang out with them because of this game. My two favorite characters are Hanako and Lilly (thank you, Hanako, for showing me more of Lilly to grow attached to her!). Since, I completed those two stories, I can wait until the summer to finish the rest of the paths and to reconfirm this as my current GOTY.

Saya No Uta sounds pretty interesting, especially after Ringo's explanation on it. I might try that at some point, but I should finish my other games before I start on another VN.

Edit: In total, I think I spent around 12-14 hours with this game over the past three or four days.

Soma

So I've pretty much influenced about four friends on another message board i'm on to try this out. Some of them were kinda 'ehhh' at first but they gave it a shot eventually.

The best part though? They all seem to have enjoyed it a lot after finishing a route.

loltiger.gif

This sounds like the worst idea ever. Do you want to be depressed whenever someone calls you?

You're right, I'll give that ringtone to some of my more depressing friends. Replaced it with Parity. Not the ringtone I want by default, but it's jazzy, and catchy. It'll do until I can get a better piece for my phone.

Oh dang, soundtrack is up? Download, commence!

The two people that worked on it really did an awesome job. Some really great tunes in this game. I really hope they go on to do even bigger and better projects at some point. : )

I really love the songs in this game. Some of there are beautiful (Friendship). Some of them are hauntingly beautiful (caged heart for example).

There is one, Everyday Fantasy that reminds me of the houses of Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword.lol
Also I for example, really like Stride, but only the first part (22 first seconds), the rest not so much. Similar to that I hate the first 16 seconds of the The Student Council (theres even a note that sounds as if someone had done it wrong) but then I really like the rest.

Im now on the Rin route, and its really interesting. I really liked the first art class scene, were Hiaso and Rin draw.

Anyone find it odd that by Lilly's Good End
Lilly becomes an alky and a sex addict
to an extent. After thinking about for a day or two, it kinda hit me and thought it was a bit hilarious, seeing as she acts very lady like.

to an extent. After thinking about for a day or two, it kinda hit me and thought it was a bit hilarious, seeing as she acts very lady like.

She is always like it ...you're not supposed to know unless you know her ...
Wouldn't surprise me than someone relying on her sense of touch so much became addicted ...
( but that's my way of thinking )

Jintor

I've got to stop lurking /v/. I love it and hate it there. You get some of the nicest people, but you also get incredibly derailed by assholes 24/7.

I still don't know what my favourite path is. In terms of emotional impact I'd guess Rin's and Emi's, but as a pure romance I just love Lilly's. It's paced exceedingly well, despite how kind of typical the whole thing is. Hanako's and Shizune's are alright, but they both feel like they have a lot of filler and their pacing is really screwy.

Soma

To most people she's a perfect picture of the prim and proper type of girl. When she's actually a
caffeine addicted, closet alcoholic/nymphomaniac

perfect waifu material, man

XeroSauce

So I just finished Lilly's Good End last night after replaying it after her Neutral end. I'm going to take a break; I could barely sleep after that.

I did Emi first, and then Hanako. Who should I do next?

I don't even know if I can play this again. I downloaded the OST and the music can be incredibly depressing.

I find it funny in Rin's route, when Hisao tries to draw, that he doesnt draw particularly bad even if he says (and its supposed) to be horrible.
They could have get someone who really didnt now to draw to make Hisao's drawings, but you notice is really a person that knows how to draw really well trying to do a bad drawing and failing lol

So I just finished Lilly's Good End last night after replaying it after her Neutral end. I'm going to take a break; I could barely sleep after that.

I did Emi first, and then Hanako. Who should I do next?

I don't even know if I can play this again. I downloaded the OST and the music can be incredibly depressing.

Off topic, but could I have a higher resoltuion image of your avatar, pretty please!
And you are going to have a dissapointment with the game if you leave Shizune for the end (low point of the game), so i would do first that and finish with Rin.

I've got to stop lurking /v/. I love it and hate it there. You get some of the nicest people, but you also get incredibly derailed by assholes 24/7.

I still don't know what my favourite path is. In terms of emotional impact I'd guess Rin's and Emi's, but as a pure romance I just love Lilly's. It's paced exceedingly well, despite how kind of typical the whole thing is. Hanako's and Shizune's are alright, but they both feel like they have a lot of filler and their pacing is really screwy.

BTW Jintor, your article is working really well with my friends, and even me found it really interesting when I read it, so thank you very much!

Top Bottom