• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

Rin will make you change that Hanako avatar that's for sure.

I
I kid. I found Rin's route far better than Hanako's over all, which, while ending on a strong note, had pretty languid pacing.YMMV of course

I was scarred by that scene. All of it just felt so awkward.

Awkward, yeah, but real as fuck. And hilarious. I think it's also a nice response to
many virgins' fear of awkward, uncomfortable sex. As bad as that one session was, it didn't hurt their relationship or future endeavors at all because it's really not a big deal.

er...I mean...what are you talking about? It was a super sexy hardcore scene that Utako will jizz buckets to.

Rin will make you change that Hanako avatar that's for sure.

Hell yeah, motherfucker.

I just finished Shizune's route and maybe I'm not the best judge since this is only my second playthrough, but I don't see why everyone dislikes it so much.

I mean, yeah it did seem to drag on a bit at times and there were large parts that weren't really focused on Shizune, but it didn't seem that bad and maybe it's just me but it was nice to have a different style of story instead being all about one person again like Hanako's route was.
But hey, maybe my opinion on this will change when I complete the other 3 routes and can compare it to them.

I'm basically done with Shizune's route, and it wasn't bad super horrible, but like many others have said here, it really could've been better than it was. I will admit, that out of the 3 previous routes I've completed, never have I felt like giving a bad route to a character until playing Shizune's route before getting the Good route, although after the last choice, I felt kinda bad for thinking about the bad route.

PKrockin

Well, this is the only genre I've never even tried before, so I went ahead and downloaded it by virtue of it being free + GAF-recommended and... well, I just don't think it's for me. I ended up on Emi's path somehow and I didn't really find it touching or very sad. Something about the game just got grating after a while. I did enjoy the humor and soundtrack though.

... I feel like I have to shoot something or make something explode now. Must be some sort of bubbly underage anime girl kawaii ne >:3 uguu~ overload

I can never let anyone find out I played this game. I will never live it down.

You don't wanna try another girl? Each of the paths had a different writer, so maybe another take might be your thing? Although, I can also understand not feeling the style of the game itself; I find VN style writing a little clumsy sometimes.

PKrockin

I would have been fine with Lilly, Hanako (? burn victim), or Emi, so I didn't really have a problem with it. I didn't have any problems with the writing, I think the mai waifu visual novel game concept is not that compelling to me in practice. Oh well, different strokes.

Oh, I got it. When I chose to "push myself" at the track, that's what led to Emi's path. I actually picked that option because I was curious to see if I could actually die in the game, but both options seemed to end with Emi inviting me to lunch on the roof so I just went with pushing myself. Should have realized that sooner.

I would have been fine with Lilly, Hanako (? burn victim), or Emi, so I didn't really have a problem with it. I didn't have any problems with the writing, I think the mai waifu visual novel game concept is not that compelling to me in practice. Oh well, different strokes.

Oh, I got it. When I chose to "push myself" at the track, that's what led to Emi's path. I actually picked that option because I was curious to see if I could actually die in the game, but both options seemed to end with Emi inviting me to lunch on the roof so I just went with pushing myself. Should have realized that sooner.

This is a niche genre, so this game won't be everyone cup of tea. I'm happy you are at least giving this game a try before giving an opinion.

PKrockin

This is a niche genre, so this game won't be everyone cup of tea. I'm happy you are at least giving this game a try before giving an opinion.

Yeah, if absolutely nothing else they have my respect for making a free game with a lot of effort and care put into it.

What kinda sucks is seeing people dismiss it as some sort of fetishist sex simulation.

Well, this is the only genre I've never even tried before, so I went ahead and downloaded it by virtue of it being free + GAF-recommended and... well, I just don't think it's for me. I ended up on Emi's path somehow and I didn't really find it touching or very sad. Something about the game just got grating after a while. I did enjoy the humor and soundtrack though.

... I feel like I have to shoot something or make something explode now. Must be some sort of bubbly underage anime girl kawaii ne >:3 uguu~ overload

I can never let anyone find out I played this game. I will never live it down.

It's too late to turn back now. All that's left is to order yourself a waifu bodypillow, set your homepage to 4chan, and lock yourself away from the outside world.

Shame it wasn't your cup of tea. I think it's kind of neat that we both went into it with the same mindset, but came away with completely different opinions.

Yeah, if absolutely nothing else they have my respect for making a free game with a lot of effort and care put into it.

What kinda sucks is seeing people dismiss it as some sort of fetishist sex simulation.

Yeah, because of the mindset you just described, I had lengthy argument in the video game club involving Katawa Shoujo as a "fetishest sex simulation."

It's too late to turn back now. All that's left is to order yourself a waifu bodypillow, set your homepage to 4chan, and lock yourself away from the outside world.

Shame it wasn't your cup of tea. I think it's kind of neat that we both went into it with the same mindset, but came away with completely different opinions.

I find it pretty neat we both had the same mindset too, but we both loved the game (though I have grown horribly addicted to this game like a rich white person would be addicted to cocaine).

PKrockin

Yeah, that is kind of neat.

By the way this post of yours is genius.

I don't know about quantity, but Emi has an incredibly sexy and romantic
anal scene.

Jintor

How far did you get in Emi's route? It's feel-lite until around halfway through Act 3. That said, you can generally tell if you actually like the game as a whole or the situation or whatever, so I don't really want to push.

Replaying Rin's path and
I can't believe I didn't pick up on how blatantly Hisao:Rin parallels Iwanako:Hisao. The author even seems to use this to lay out clues on how to get the Good End. My inner pretentious writer is jizzing all over the place.

Proven

Replaying Rin's path and
I can't believe I didn't pick up on how blatantly Hisao:Rin parallels Iwanako:Hisao. The author even seems to use this to lay out clues on how to get the Good End. My inner pretentious writer is jizzing all over the place.

Eh? I didn't notice this! then again, I didn't do a replay yet either... list some notes.

Jintor

Replaying Rin's path and

What? Drop me some beats, man!

vall03

Replaying Rin's path and

woah! I didn't expect this, will definitely replay the game again but not now

Eh? I didn't notice this! then again, I didn't do a replay yet either... list some notes.

-Hisao's hospital room = Rin's atelier
-Iwanako would visit Hisao at the hospital just to sit in silence, Hisao visits Rin at the atelier just to sit in silence
-Doctor = art teacher. Remember in the beginning when Hisao thinks to himself "It's not an opportunity, don't call it an opportunity. Don't call it a goddamn opportunity"? That's probably how Rin feels about the art teacher gushing over the exhibit.
-One of Hisao's last moments with Iwanako involved her peeling an apple for him, just like Hisao peels oranges for Rin
-Iwanako expresses in her letter that if she could do it all over again, she'd try to support him, and that's exactly how he should approach Rin: as support. If I remember right, one of the choices near the conclusion that steer you toward the Good End is actually something like "I want to support Rin."

That's just off the top of my head.

Yep, I actually picked up on those very same similarities once
Iwanako's letter came in
, you don't really think about it until you read the letter, I feel. Rin's entire story is peppered with those types of clues that lead you to her good end, one just has to be observant and use a bit of deductive reasoning.

Yep, I actually picked up on those very same similarities once
Iwanako's letter came in
, you don't really think about it until you read the letter, I feel. Rin's entire story is peppered with those types of clues that lead you to her good end, one just has to be observant and use a bit of deductive reasoning.

Heh, that's exactly where I alt-tabbed out to make my post. I was reading through
the letter
and then all of a sudden it all came together.

Jintor

Holy fucking dicks. That's amazing.

I'm going to spread the word. I never even saw that because I never even thought too deeply about Iwanako's experience - I saw the letter only as a catalyst of sorts

I agree that Rin's route is very well written, but I don't like Rin as a character, so... welp.

Opposite problem with Shizune's route, of course. The other three routes/girls balance it out a bit better.

I didn't really like Rin as a character until I started her path. Then the game forced me at gunpoint to reevaluate my opinion.

I started to like Rin more during Emi's path. She made
the first sex scene so much more awesome. Charging in, needing to use Emi's window. Made laugh me as hard as Shizune's 'I'll devour you' comment.

Also, nothing will make me kill off my Hanako picture. She's my waifu for life!

Proven

-Iwanako would visit Hisao at the hospital just to sit in silence, Hisao visits Rin at the atelier just to sit in silence
-Doctor = art teacher. Remember in the beginning when Hisao thinks to himself "It's not an opportunity, don't call it an opportunity. Don't call it a goddamn opportunity"? That's probably how Rin feels about the art teacher gushing over the exhibit.
-One of Hisao's last moments with Iwanako involved her peeling an apple for him, just like Hisao peels oranges for Rin
-Iwanako expresses in her letter that if she could do it all over again, she'd try to support him, and that's exactly how he should approach Rin: as support. If I remember right, one of the choices near the conclusion that steer you toward the Good End is actually something like "I want to support Rin."

I feel dumb. I probably would have noticed all of this if I had done Rin first or second instead of last. Good eye.

I started to like Rin more during Emi's path. She made
the first sex scene so much more awesome. Charging in, needing to use Emi's window. Made laugh me as hard as Shizune's 'I'll devour you' comment.

Also, nothing will make me kill off my Hanako picture. She's my waifu for life!

I think your my new best friend haha.

Anyways, yeah, I've actually grown to like Rin since the first act and Emi's route. I'm sure I'll grow to like her more during her route.

XeroSauce

I felt the same way with Hanako. I was sooooo over the whole "shy girl" archetype and I was prepared to be bored to tears with her route.

...then THIS happened http://i.imgur.com/aTzxE.png

and my heart pretty much melted ;__;

fplak.jpg

Ara ara

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Wow I played Rin's route and didn't realize this, I guess I didn't pay too much attention to that letter.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm at the moment when Shizune gets all sincere and shit to Hisao and explaining her worries and anxieties and I'm like "wait that's it?"

Please tell me there's not that much more. Please.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
THE NIGHTMARE IS OVER

PRAISE THE LORDS

Worst girl in the game. Her ending was weak, her character was weak, Misha was a lot more interesting but they almost ignored her feelings for her after that. My God what the fuck did they think they were doing.

I was going to tackle Rin's path next but I am exhausted. I finished Emi and Hanako in three days. It took me more than a week to do Shizune. What the hell, game?

THE NIGHTMARE IS OVER

PRAISE THE LORDS

Worst girl in the game. Her ending was weak, her character was weak, Misha was a lot more interesting but they almost ignored her feelings for her after that. My God what the fuck did they think they were doing.

I was going to tackle Rin's path next but I am exhausted. I finished Emi and Hanako in three days. It took me more than a week to do Shizune. What the hell, game?

Yeah, It took me a while, mostly, because Shizune's route wasn't as interesting as the others. Only now at the last act am I'm suddenly interested again. Hopefully Rin's route will suck me back in and end the game on a High note since I left her for last, seeing as other's have suggested it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Shizune's route is about everything except Shizune. Even Hisao doesn't come across as more grown after finishing it beyond "
huh, i guess i should not be a lazy arse
". It's the worst type of character development, completely non-existent.

It's whatever though. Now the thing that has me thinking is the whole Misha situation. I know someone spoilered it a few pages back, which kinda sucks, since it didn't effect me as much kinda knowing. Maybe I should finish the Good and Bad end to get the whole story.

Anyways, I like how every route has more stuff explained in greater detail. Kinda of a nice touch since I wasn't expecting it.

Anyways, I like how every route has more stuff explained in greater detail. Kinda of a nice touch since I wasn't expecting it.

I was really surprised by this aspect in the game. You always figure out another trait (or history) of a different character while pursuing another girl. It's a fantastic "touch" to this game, and builds on my love for this title.

Top Bottom