• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

You're not taking morbid curiosity into account. I don't think that most people went into KS expecting something legitimately good.

When I first downloaded it, I didn't know whether I was going to fap, laugh, cry, vomit, or what. The whole thing was just so bizarre that I felt like I would be missing out on internet history if I didn't at least check it out.

I think the 4chan post summed it up perfectly, "I went in prepared to fap, but I wasn't prepared to feel."

I also thought this game would be an insult, but like Mr. Hobo, it was a big deal, so I checked it out. And I felt like I haven't felt in a year. There were tears.

Whelp, I had respect for her opinons, then she killed it.

Jintor

I think the 4chan post summed it up perfectly, "I went in prepared to fap, but I wasn't prepared to feel."

One of the funniest things I've read all year

Much as I disagree with her opinions re KS's writing, I don't think the Bombcast thing is all that relevant

icecream

Public Health Threat
She makes some good points here and there. But to sum her opinion up.

Hisao bonds with girlfriends through jaw-droppingly dull and repetitive conversations and behaviors; runs at the track, visits to the nurse, trips to a teashop, shopping for groceries. Again and again. I mean, maybe the game wants to make a statement that those routines are… no, no.

It hardly even matters that the game gives you so few choices to branch the plot. Narratively it’s murderous. [...]Yet that’s no small thing, its existence, that it was born entirely from a strange internet culture nebula and the dogged effort of those devoted to bringing it to life. I can’t look at the hundreds of thousands of posts on the forum, fan works and art on message boards, I can’t look at how loved Katawa Shoujo and its characters are by those who made it possible and those who deeply wanted it to be born and say I’m not glad of its existence.

That it exists says so much about games as a medium of cultural expression that it doesn’t even really matter to me if the game is “good”. The internet made, lovingly, a game about romance with disabled girls. That’s so weird; that’s so wonderful.
Completely agree with this part of her review. It's really interesting to see someone come out with such a similar viewpoint, as the internet has been rife with either unbound love, or unsubstantiated hate, neither of which the game deserves. It's a monumental game, as well as a significant achievement, but as a product, it falters in the genre.

That's the thing. It's not badly written.
You shouldn't misinterpret her here- in this context, badly written does not mean it is a trashy-novel type of writing, nor writing on the same level of quality as Episode II, but that it lacks the strength of narrative and design that it is presumably being regarded highly for... perhaps due to the fact that western ADV gaming is still in its infancy.

And instead got something that not only isn't really "typical" but also goes out of it's way to shut down a lot of what's expected of them.
Not sure quite what you mean here, but while it's certainly true Katawa Shoujo blocks many of the basic tropes that so many mainstream ADVs and eroge are rife with, it is not exactly the first nor the only one to do so.

Natively Western developed and the writing is such a turn from most of the shitty Japanese writing (stupid repeated cliches and kiddy antics) fans have put up with in the past decade that it's like a huge breath of fresh air.
Not to deny your point, but if that's all you've experienced in the genre up until now, you've been experiencing the wrong things. :p

Not to deny your point, but if that's all you've experienced in the genre up until now, you've been experiencing the wrong things. :p

To be fair, I'd say the vast majority (the hundreds upon hundreds) of Japanese VNs aren't any good. Go into a store here and you're treated with boxes and boxes of bad games.

It's very, very easy to miss the good stuff.

icecream

Public Health Threat
To be fair, I'd say the vast majority (the hundreds upon hundreds) of Japanese ADVs aren't any good. Go into a store here and you're treated with boxes and boxes of bad games.

It's very, very easy to miss the good stuff.
Of course. Especially nowadays, it'd almost be safe to say about 90% of what's released each month is either generic, trashy, or niche-cash-in stuff.

But it's those one or two unforgettable games you run across every once in a while, that makes the journey all worthwhile. :p

Jintor

Completely agree with this part of her review. It's really interesting to see someone come out with such a similar viewpoint, as the internet has been rife with either unbound love, or unsubstantiated hate, neither of which the game deserves. It's a monumental game, as well as a significant achievement, but as a product, it falters in the genre.

You shouldn't misinterpret her here- in this context, badly written does not mean it is a trashy-novel type of writing, nor writing on the same level of quality as Episode II, but that it lacks the strength of narrative and design that it is presumably being regarded highly for... perhaps due to the fact that western ADV gaming is still in its infancy.

Not sure quite what you mean here, but while it's certainly true Katawa Shoujo blocks many of the basic tropes that so many mainstream ADVs and eroge are rife with, it is not exactly the first nor the only one to do so.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but as I stated before, the idea that the game has nothing compelling or pleasurable or that it 'defies engrossment' is perhaps true for her, but not of a large amount of people who have played it, and that's the main part of her opinion piece that I take issue with.

Of course. Especially nowadays, it'd almost be safe to say about 90% of what's released each month is either generic, trashy, or niche-cash-in stuff.

But it's those one or two unforgettable games you run across every once in a while, that makes the journey all worthwhile. :p

Precisely! And I would argue that if KS were a retail product, digital or physical, I wouldn't lump it with the 90% of crap. ^^

I think it's just inconsistent. Every path has some downright cringe-worthy lines, yeah, but there's some really fantastic work as well. Rin's path is an exception in that it's just damn good through and through.

I've read that Blindie has the best sex scene, but that may have just been the author's personal preference.

Deaf/mute's where it's at. It helps that the art in her scenes seem to be a step up from most of the others
lolEmi

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Leigh Alexander posted her view on Katawa Shoujo over at RPS. Have a look and see what you think.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/28/wot-i-think-katawa-shoujo/

It hardly even matters that the game gives you so few choices to branch the plot. Narratively it’s murderous. The story is bad. The sex is bad. Whether your reason for playing a disabled girl dating sim is you like dating sim stories, you like sex games, or you like disabled girls, you will not be salved. There is absolutely nothing pleasurable or compelling about Katawa Shoujo, save for the fact it exists.

I really liked some of the story in KS, may be I just have bad taste. I wonder what VN the reviewer enjoyed.

Some of my earliest writing explored the “weirdest” games I could find – bunny girl dating sims, teenage girl “training/raising” games, brutally sexual supernatural murder mysteries, and stuff like that, and I think my work was recognized fairly early on in my development as a writer just because I was pouring so many words onto stuff no one else would touch.

The reviewer just hate VN, and start a career by laughing at VN and people that loved them. This is like asking a Nazi to review a Kosher Restaurant.

icecream

Public Health Threat
I don't disagree with anything you've said, but as I stated before, the idea that the game has nothing compelling or pleasurable or that it 'defies engrossment' is perhaps true for her, but not of a large amount of people who have played it, and that's the main part of her opinion piece that I take issue with.
Perhaps she was a bit too harsh and dismissive in her opinion in that regard then. The game does have some good points about it, but it also would be unfair to not recognize its flaws as well.

I think it's just inconsistent. Every path has some downright cringe-worthy lines, yeah, but there's some really fantastic work as well. Rin's path is an exception in that it's just damn good through and through.
The game definitely has very competent writing, that much is clear. It is the storyline and flow where the issues would lie.

jman2050

It seems on one hand we have a group of people almost completely unfamiliar with VNs using KS as their gateway and perhaps calling it the best thing ever out of newness and familiarity, and then on the other hand we have the people who are completely dismissive of it because "there are better VNs," the composition of such being whatever fits into their personal comfort zone.

As usual, the truth lies somewhere inbetween. Personally, I think it's very solid work but yet shows some unevenness and evidence of lack of experience on the part of the writers. I think it actually being written in English helps quite a bit.

I'm curious as to how this thread is 38 pages considering VN's are usually pretty niche, even on GAF. I've never played a VN before and I had convinced myself that they probably aren't my thing... but is this game that good? Is this something I should be checking out?

I kind of agree. I do feel like she missed the point on a few notes. I think Katawa Shoujo pretty much defied all expectations and the hard work of its creators should be celebrated.

Many people like the game for their own reasons and were definitely engrossed(me included)during play. That's why I find the claim that it "defies engrossment" to be a bit disingenuous especially when she acknowledges that many people like it toward the end of the article.

Jintor

I'm curious as to how this thread is 38 pages considering VN's are usually pretty niche, even on GAF. I've never played a VN before and I had convinced myself that they probably aren't my thing... but is this game that good? Is this something I should be checking out?

Give it a shot. It's free, and you can always stop playing if it's not your thing.

Nyoro SF

It seems on one hand we have a group of people almost completely unfamiliar with VNs using KS as their gateway and perhaps calling it the best thing ever out of newness and familiarity, and then on the other hand we have the people who are completely dismissive of it because "there are better VNs," the composition of such being whatever fits into their personal comfort zone.

As usual, the truth lies somewhere inbetween. Personally, I think it's very solid work but yet shows some unevenness and evidence of lack of experience on the part of the writers. I think it actually being written in English helps quite a bit.

I am requoting you, because I can.

You can see reactions run the gamut all across the internet. From those who refuse to look at it because 'it's from 4chan/you date disabled girls/they named it Katawa Shoujo jesus christ' to those who've experienced it as their first VN and gush about and those who like it and can stand some improvement and those who've played it and legitimately found it boring/offensive.

I like the idea of Katawa Shoujo and I think it's mostly done competently enough, but every single route has problems of one kind of another, whether it's pacing, poor storylines, etc. It's a solid effort, especially for the first work of a bunch of internet volunteers.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Apparently Rin has a hidden joke ending.

nc9R2.jpg

Yeah, wow.

Well, military uniforms are a type of fetish, but nobody should go that far, jesus dick.

Anyway, KS's writing flaws I think are due to the fact these flaws are kind of conventional in the eroge/VN genre. The writing is amateur-ish but KS's audience is either forgiving or unaware. But I don't think fans should be looked down on if they really enjoy it.

Hum just finished Hanako route ( good end )..

Pretty much disapointed that unlike Lily there is only one H scene on "that" path ..

It's also a shame that unlike Lily route , hanako , and the MC doesn't have clear plans for the future at all in the ending ..

I liked the pool part , except that it should have been more intense ( like the other fights i've seen in the game so far ) ..and the MC shouldn't have dodged iwananko question like that ... It's a nice route , but it felt rushed at some points ...

Yeah, wow.

Well, military uniforms are a type of fetish, but nobody should go that far, jesus dick.

Anyway, KS's writing flaws I think are due to the fact these flaws are kind of conventional in the eroge/VN genre. The writing is amateur-ish but KS's audience is either forgiving or unaware. But I don't think fans should be looked down on if they really enjoy it.

Dude, take a look at my avatar and tell me that SS uniform isn't sexy as fuck. Not sympathizing with them, but as far as military uniforms went they were pretty slick.

Hum just finished Hanako route ( good end )..

Pretty much disapointed that unlike Lily there is only one H scene on "that" path ..

It's also a shame that unlike Lily route , hanako , and the MC doesn't have clear plans for the future at all in the ending ..

I liked the pool part , except that it should have been more intense ( like the other fights i've seen in the game so far ) ..and the MC shouldn't have dodged iwananko question like that ... It's a nice route , but it felt rushed at some points ...

The writer for the Hanako route had an epilogue written up for her story, but it was later scrapped. Somewhat happy it was scrapped, since it was depressing as fuck (the writer posted his story on his blog).

I personally liked the ending. It emitted a hopeful relationship between Hanako and Hisao. I thought he had some form of future laid out in front of him? I thought for Hanako's story, he was going to an university to study in the field of science.

I actually really enjoyed the pool scene. Hanako development hasn't gotten to the point where she would had an intense argument.

Also, Lilly is a nympho, Hanako seems to be the exact opposite, so it made sense to only have one H scene. Plus, it was supposed to be an emotional/crucial moment between the two characters.

The writer for the Hanako route had an epilogue written up for her story, but it was later scrapped. Somewhat happy it was scrapped, since it was depressing as fuck (the writer posted his story on his blog).

I personally liked the ending. It emitted a hopeful relationship between Hanako and Hisao. I thought he had some form of future laid out in front of him? I thought for Hanako's story, he was going to an university to study in the field of science.

I actually really enjoyed the pool scene. Hanako development hasn't gotten to the point where she would had an intense argument.

Also, Lilly is a nympho, Hanako seems to be the exact opposite, so it made sense to only have one H scene. Plus, it was supposed to be an emotional/crucial moment between the two characters.

That's the opposite.
The mc has plans in lily route and not in hanako route.
They say that they should look for their future together[]

That's the opposite.

All right, I must've mixed them up in my head. Thanks for the correction. Anyway, since you corrected me, there is a reason for me to include this thought in now.

Hisao's personality adapts to whoever he hangs out with the most (like in real life). Hanako didn't seem to know what she wanted in life, thus Hisao would have been stuck in the same situation. On the other hand, Lilly comprehended what she wanted in her life, so this pushed Hisao to figure out his future too.

I think the one route that proves to be the exception is Emi's route, since Hisao at least knew he wanted a career involving science, even though Emi's future is unclear.

PKrockin

So I finally picked up the game again and finished Hanako's route. And I agree with you guys that it was oddly paced but I liked it, better than Emi anyway.

Damn, I feel like a rapist :( Hisao you idiot.

That's the opposite.

All right, I must've mixed them up in my head. Thanks for the correction. Anyway, since you corrected me, there is a reason for me to include this thought in now.

Hisao's personality adapts to whoever he hangs out with the most (like in real life). Hanako didn't seem to know what she wanted in life, thus Hisao would have been stuck in the same situation. On the other hand, Lilly comprehended what she wanted in her life, so this pushed Hisao to figure out his future too.

I think the one route that proves to be the exception is Emi's route, since Hisao at least knew he wanted a career involving science, even though Emi's future is unclear.

Im pretty sure that both routes have the Hisao
going to science university
Although in Lilly's route this fact is more important and mentioned more in the dialogs.
Emi's route also use the
science
Hisao, even more than the other two, if I my add.

I find interesting that I find this routes with this type of Hisao more compelling than the rest.
Rin and Shizune`s Hisaos are funking idiots, but Rin's Hisao is saved for the writting.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Much as I disagree with her opinions re KS's writing, I don't think the Bombcast thing is all that relevant

My issue with her is that she'll say stupid shit and when people call her out in it she says it's "because I'm a girl" and we're all obviously sexist/misogynist/etc.

It's a disingenuous way of trying to elicit a response from the internet. (And for the most part it works I guess)

And then she gets drunk and ruins podcasts.

I would have the same problems with any dude who pulled the same garbage routine.

Dude, take a look at my avatar and tell me that SS uniform isn't sexy as fuck. Not sympathizing with them, but as far as military uniforms went they were pretty slick.

Yeah I know but...

Nazi dating game.

Well, the KS devs did do a good job with their subject matter. It might be possible if you do a lot of research for historical accuracy and treat the subject matter with the immense historical tragedy of the war in mi-

NO WHAT AM I SAYING

XeroSauce

Don't let her bad wordplay fool you; those uniforms were really sharp.

Most people agree that the writing was weak at parts, but it came together with the music to really give the reader a sense of appreciation for the story's values. There will always be the high end critics and low end critics.

Im pretty sure that both routes have the Hisao
going to science university
Although in Lilly's route this fact is more important and mentioned more in the dialogs.
Emi's route also use the
science
Hisao, even more than the other two, if I my add.

I find interesting that I find this routes with this type of Hisao more compelling than the rest.
Rin and Shizune`s Hisaos are funking idiots, but Rin's Hisao is saved for the writting.

I just finished Hanako route before writing up my post above ..and from what i've seen ..he call her to the park , big talk and the "gotta look for our future together" scene ..THE END ... Sure it's mentionned several time on that route that he is good at sciences ( and bad at history ) but the subject of his future is never completed ...it ends on a happy note with both characters looking out for the otherbut that's it.

Total opposite from lily route where it's set and written

So I finally picked up the game again and finished Hanako's route. And I agree with you guys that it was oddly paced but I liked it, better than Emi anyway.

Damn, I feel like a rapist :( Hisao you idiot.

Hanako and Hisao blatantly have feelings for each other, and as time goes on there's mounting sexual tension between them as well. So when Hanako bared herself to him and accepted his desires, Hisao thought that they were having loving, romantic sex. Then the next day, she tells him that it was no such thing and that she simply had sex with him to change his perception of her. She played the man for a fool and took his virginity, his spiritual purity -- just to prove a point.

In other words, Hanako was the real rapist.

Soma

Hey Jintor, this is your doing right?

ks__the_movie_by_mul-d4nr1e3.jpg

Not sure if you posted this here or not, but I came across this as I was scouting around for some more KS fan-art and noticed some of the other artwork you posted on here too. Really great work on this, man. :) I almost want to get a poster of this haha.

woo finally got around to playing this over the weekend (parent's home. integrated card laptop T_T.)

For some reason I just enjoy keeping this one on auto play, yet I breeze past most other eroges.

hmmm... Pretty decent stuff even though it took me a while to figure out the deaf girl combo.

Made me go play Risk again with my bro lol.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

I will agree with this. I have played better, but I went into this expecting nothing and came out enjoying this far more than I ever expected. Quite valiant effort for a first work.

Deaf/mute's where it's at. It helps that the art in her scenes seem to be a step up from most of the others
lolEmi

Co-signed. I've gotta say, their
first sex scene together was one of the classiest sex scenes I've seen in a VN. The whole tying his arms behind his back is both kinky, and a message to not question her with stuff like "Are you sure?" or whatever. She'd made up her mind and she didn't want him second guessing her. Took me by surprise. ^^; Also, dat decision when Misha suddenly ends up in you room, and suddenly the choices "Comfort her" or "Refuse" showed up. I honestly didn't expect this game to go in that direction as an option, despite it being a total NTR possibility, simply because I never saw any hint of Misha liking him at all earlier (and as it turns out, her thing is for Shizune, not him) and was just feeling lonely at that particular moment. So yeah, I enjoyed this route.

Oh yeah, that's mine. Consider it a draft for now though.

You should feel proud, it became my wallpaper for my Macbook. When you finish your draft, I'll be updating it.

Co-signed. I've gotta say, their
first sex scene together was one of the classiest sex scenes I've seen in a VN. The whole tying his arms behind his back is both kinky, and a message to not question her with stuff like "Are you sure?" or whatever. She'd made up her mind and she didn't want him second guessing her. Took me by surprise. ^^; Also, dat decision when Misha suddenly ends up in you room, and suddenly the choices "Comfort her" or "Refuse" showed up. I honestly didn't expect this game to go in that direction as an option, despite it being a total NTR possibility, simply because I never saw any hint of Misha liking him at all earlier (and as it turns out, her thing is for Shizune, not him) and was just feeling lonely at that particular moment. So yeah, I enjoyed this route.

There are some nuggets of gold within Shizune's path, however the golden parts are hidden by a mountain of poorly-written filler. I mentioned earlier that I dislike Misha for 90% of the game. Her art and character do not appeal to me, this becomes reverse when the art changes and Misha acts serious. Then, 80% of chapter 3 was simply dreadful when Hisao had to deal with her family. Chapter 2 also had some dreadfully dullful parts, only time I wasn't skipping through the text was when Hisao was speaking to Shizune alone.

Shizune is one of my favorite characters in the game, I just wish she had a better writer for her route.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
There are some nuggets of gold within Shizune's path, however the golden parts are hidden by a mountain of poorly-written filler. I mentioned earlier that I dislike Misha for 90% of the game. Her art and character do not appeal to me, this becomes reverse when the art changes and Misha acts serious. Then, 80% of chapter 3 was simply dreadful when Hisao had to deal with her family. Chapter 2 also had some dreadfully dullful parts, only time I wasn't skipping through the text was when Hisao was speaking to Shizune alone.

Shizune is one of my favorite characters in the game, I just wish she had a better writer for her route.

Same here. Based on what I'm reading in this thread, I'm glad I did her route first.

Well, finished finally all the routes possible.
Amazing game.

Here are my lists:

Routes:
Lilly>Hanako>Rin>Emi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune

Girls:
Lilly>Hanako>Emi>Misha>Miki>Rin>>>>>Shizune

Last Words:

-Lilly waifu material.
-Why u dont have routes Miki and Misha :(

That is all.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
It's fuckin' Lily! It's fuckin' Lily!

Best girl in the game!

Soma

Well, finished finally all the routes possible.
Amazing game.

Here are my lists:

Routes:
Lilly>Hanako>Rin>Emi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune

Girls:
Lilly>Hanako>Emi>Misha>Miki>Rin>>>>>Shizune

Lilly waifu material.

Why u dont have routes Miki and Misha :(

Totally approve of this list.

Even if I don't think Shizune (herself not her route) is that bad.

Top Bottom