• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

It's fuckin' Lily! It's fuckin' Lily!

Best girl in the game!

internet-high-five.jpg

The route is just HNGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Totally approve of this list.

Even if I don't think Shizune (herself not her route) is that bad.

Is just that i had a horrible time during that route (also no Misha :( ), thank god it was my second route to chose, all went uphill from there.

McNum

Looks like I'm late to the party on this. So far, the game is pretty fun, but I'll be honest and say I have no clue what I'm doing. I think I'll just click what sounds about right and see what happens.

ACT 1
The game of Risk took me by surprise, why do I get the idea that the choice there was more important than it let on. Also Kenji is somewhat paranoid.

Also, since the game has so many endings, is there a good time to save, or a route to take through Act 1 so I haven't yet locked myself out of any line?

Jintor

Looks like I'm late to the party on this. So far, the game is pretty fun, but I'll be honest and say I have no clue what I'm doing. I think I'll just click what sounds about right and see what happens.

ACT 1
The game of Risk took me by surprise, why do I get the idea that the choice there was more important than it let on. Also Kenji is somewhat paranoid.

Also, since the game has so many endings, is there a good time to save, or a route to take through Act 1 so I haven't yet locked myself out of any line?

Don't worry about it Commander. Skip feature will plough through text you've already read so multiple playthroughs is a breeze.

*salutes*

McNum

Don't worry about it Commander. Skip feature will plough through text you've already read so multiple playthroughs is a breeze.

*salutes*
I'm so going to be stuck with being "that X-Com guy" now. Not that I mind, there are much worse things to be stuck as.

Thanks for the tip, fighting aliens might have to take a backseat today thanks to this game... What an odd pair of games to alternate between, come to think of it.

Foxix Von

SHE TASTES LIKE BACON

YEAH THERE'S NO MISTAKIN'

FROM THE LOVIN' TO THE OVEN YEAH YOU KNOW WHAT I'M BAKIN'

SHE'S A TIMID GIRL. LIKE A LEAF, YEAH SHE'S SHAKIN'

So like McNum I'm late getting into this game as well. I just got around to meeting Emi. I'm definitely not sure what to make of this game so far. I'm constantly paranoid that whatever choices I'm picking have far more weight than they appear to have. I have so many save files hah!

And I'm quoting the lyrics because I made this my ringtone last night.

Jintor

Not particularly. One's a totally linear story given to you with various branches and the other is a set of emergent narrative properties determined by a complex interaction of various systems. I paired KS with Dark Souls when I was playing.

Bilix

Damn GAF. Just finished the Lily route. A lot of twists towards the end hit close to home for me. I'm glad I got the good ending to cheer me up a bit. I think with it leaving off on the bad ending would just have me stare at my screen for a good while in depression. I'll do some more playthroughs but I don't think my first experience will be topped.

Does the game ever say what Misha's disability is? Might try for Shizune to find out. I'm curious.

Damn GAF. Just finished the Lily route. A lot of twists towards the end hit close to home for me. I'm glad I got the good ending to cheer me up a bit. I think with it leaving off on the bad ending would just have me stare at my screen for a good while in depression. I'll do some more playthroughs but I don't think my first experience will be topped.

Does the game ever say what Misha's disability is? Might try for Shizune to find out. I'm curious.

It does cover why she's at Yamaku yes.

Well, finished finally all the routes possible.
Amazing game.

Here are my lists:

Routes:
Lilly>Hanako>Rin>Emi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune

Girls:
Lilly>Hanako>Emi>Misha>Miki>Rin>>>>>Shizune

Last Words:

-Lilly waifu material.
-Why u dont have routes Miki and Misha :(

That is all.
Based on her personality and behavior, I'm pretty sure Misha is at least a little mentally challenged. I'm glad she didn't have her own route. The
forced and awkward sex scene
was bad enough.

I really liked her character, though. Out of all them, Misha's "voice" was probably the most distinct and fun to read.

Not particularly. One's a totally linear story given to you with various branches and the other is a set of emergent narrative properties determined by a complex interaction of various systems. I paired KS with Dark Souls when I was playing.
You're not alone, strangely enough.
Except that DS kicked the shit out of me as soon as I left the tutorial zone and I've been scared to go back. Damn you, casual games!

I played it start to finish in one sitting.... I think I liked it. I wasn't sure which girl to for in Act 1 and accidentally ended up with Emi, but that was okay because I liked her anyawy. Emi's arc hit a little too close to home though and her issue kind of pissed me off but I was satisfied by the end.

I'll admit that Lilly is truly waifu material, but nothing shall end my Hanako love.

By the way, has anyone had the Skip mode glitch on them and actually not skip text you've seen? It's happened to me a bit and I just decided not to use it.

Based on her personality and behavior, I'm pretty sure Misha is at least a little mentally challenged. I'm glad she didn't have her own route. The
was bad enough.

I don't think Mischa has any condition. In Lilly's route we find out that you don't need to have any disability/medical condition to attend Yamaku, it's not a private school restricted to those with medical needs just one that is capable of caring for those that do. In Shizune's path we learn that Mischa is recieving a reduced tuition fee because she is studying to become a sign language teacher (on some kind of scolarship?)

PKrockin

Just went for my first jog in years.

Playing a sedentary character with a heart defect kinda made me realize the sedentary lifestyle I've been living the last few months isn't doing any favors for my own heart.

I figured, what the hell, I've got time and energy to kill and it's kinda nice-ish out there for once.

So, thanks to Katawa Shoujo for nudging me into give jogging another shot. It's not as bad as I remembered it.

I guess you can count me among those who were "MOVED TO BECOME A BETTER PERSON BY MAI WAIFU ;_;" then?

Oh yeah, MILF material with Emi's mum.

So DLC with Misha, Miki and Emi's mum please.

But I suppose Emi's mum
is dating the doctor, if you read carefully what both of them say

was bad enough.

I really liked her character, though. Out of all them, Misha's "voice" was probably the most distinct and fun to read.

You call it mentally challenged, i call it fun and extravagant character :)

Fucking innocence just slayed me

Why does this game have such good music, I don't understand

Apart from 2 or 3 tracks (fucking afternoon track, not only is mediocre but also too high in volume compared to the rest when you play the game) the rest of the soundtrack is amazing. Caged Heart, Nocturne, Friendship, Innocence...

I don't think Mischa has any condition. In Lilly's route we find out that you don't need to have any disability/medical condition to attend Yamaku, it's not a private school restricted to those with medical needs just one that is capable of caring for those that do. In Shizune's path we learn that Mischa is recieving a reduced tuition fee because she is studying to become a sign language teacher (on some kind of scolarship?)

I had a counterargument all typed up, but I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. I don't even want to be right, anyway.

Fucking innocence just slayed me

Why does this game have such good music, I don't understand

I love that they released the soundtrack for free. Can't get enough of it.

vall03

The soundtrack is really good, its one of the reasons that kept me playing the game. Personal favorite would be Painful History.

P90

was bad enough.

[/spoiler]

You can't sign for someone that is as bright Shizune and be mentally challenged.

I don't have a parade. This is a discusion board so I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to share your opinion.

Because I think I'd like Misha more if I was wrong, and I feel like I'm arguing for the sake of arguing. But since you insist:
the facts you pointed out from Lilly and Shizune's routes don't really invalidate the question of Misha's mental health. Given the realistic light that KS shines on its characters, Misha's naivete, obliviousness, and over-the-top mannerisms seem to go beyond "quirky." In Shizune's route(I think), there were a number of times where the author went out of their way to point out Misha's odd behavior: flapping her arms/hands, slamming doors open, jumping up and down, utterly failing at volume control, etc.

It's like the "10000 year old witch/god/vampire in a loli's body" cliche, except reversed. Even if we're told that she's fair game, it still feels all wrong.

Also, I think I read somewhere that Misha was originally written as having some kind of mental disability. I'm having trouble finding it though, so don't put too much weight in this.

You can't sign for someone that is as bright Shizune and be mentally challenged.

Sure you can. Look at how she utterly fails to grasp the significance/tone of Shizune's words.

It'd be odd to release the game for free but charge for the soundtrack :lol

Well, they could have simply not released the soundtrack. It's free in both price and effort. :p

Because I think I'd like Misha more if I was wrong, and I feel like I'm arguing for the sake of arguing. But since you insist:
the facts you pointed out from Lilly and Shizune's routes don't really invalidate the question of Misha's mental health. Given the realistic light that KS shines on its characters, Misha's naivete, obliviousness, and over-the-top mannerisms seem to go beyond "quirky." In Shizune's route(I think), there were a number of times where the author went out of their way to point out Misha's odd behavior: flapping her arms/hands, slamming doors open, jumping up and down, utterly failing at volume control, etc.

Rin is even more oblivious and quirky, she just isn't loud. When the person you spend 90% of the time with can't hear you I wouldn't be surprised that somone would develope some exaggerated physical queues in order to attract attention. I felt Her talk with Hisao about her feelings for Shizune and the following distantce and quiteness she maintained showed that she has the ability to be reserved in her personality but she just chooses not too.

Rin is even more oblivious and quirky, she just isn't loud. When the person you spend 90% of the time with can't hear you I wouldn't be surprised that somone would develope some exaggerated physical queues in order to attract attention. I felt Her talk with Hisao about her feelings for Shizune and the following distantce and quiteness she maintained showed that she has the ability to be reserved in her personality but she just chooses not too.

I want to believe, but I can't. Maybe I just need to replay Shizune's route with your perspective in mind.

Venfayth

Replayed Shizune's route. I didn't find her family as annoying this time, maybe because of my expectations. I really kept hoping I'd find something redeeming about the writing for her, I love the concept of her character.

Proven

Hey Jintor, this is your doing right?

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/027/0/2/ks__the_movie_by_mul-d4nr1e3.jpg[img]
[/QUOTE]

This was a draft? Fuck, I'm going to have to go skimming the image board again, and I was trying to pull away dammit.

Just went for my first jog in years.

Playing a sedentary character with a heart defect kinda made me realize the sedentary lifestyle I've been living the last few months isn't doing any favors for my own heart.

I figured, what the hell, I've got time and energy to kill and it's kinda nice-ish out there for once.

So, thanks to Katawa Shoujo for nudging me into give jogging another shot. It's not as bad as I remembered it.

I guess you can count me among those who were "MOVED TO BECOME A BETTER PERSON BY MAI WAIFU ;_;" then?

Two of my friends got inspired to go jogging and get into shape because of this game.

I was also inspired to get back into shape, but I'll go back to what I know will whip me into shape, boxing. Now, I'll feel the pain of a bulimic person (I can't wait till the day I stop vomiting during boxing).

Top Bottom