• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

So good!

I feel strange about the fact that I've already put more time into KS than I have almost any other game in the past year. I've so far finished Emi's good path, then went back to see her
brutal
bad ending, and am almost finished with Hanako's. Going for Shizune's next... though really interested to get on to Lilly, and utterly intrigued as to just what in the hell will happen with Rin.

To echo previous sentiments, soundtrack is indeed amazing, and the writing (with a few exceptions) is pretty damned impressive. This whole thing is so engrossing, I'm thinking I should follow advice from earlier in the thread and take a break soon, bu-bu-bu...

Jintor

I don't really like it. Parity Jam is far better.

/edit FUCK YOU SHIZUNE

ballistics2.jpg

PKrockin

But how can you go for a run without an adorable waifu running too? It must be so lonely.

lol you're right, but it's not the same... I only like crippled girls, because I played a cripple sex sim.

Fucking innocence just slayed me

Why does this game have such good music, I don't understand

I almost think it's the soundtrack that makes the entire game work. And yeah, Innocence, especially at Hanako's good end, was amazing.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just finished Emi's route last night. I guess I must be weird, 'cause I prefered Shizune's route more. :-/

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just finished Emi's route last night. I guess I must be weird, 'cause I prefered Shizune's route more. :-/

For people who disliked Emi's route, I wonder
if they got into the fight with her at her house or not. I actually think that the fight was really important in establishing a conflict... creating a moment where you know the relationship is in jeopardy. At least, it did for me. It also makes you feel bad, which makes the redemption sweeter.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
For people who disliked Emi's route, I wonder
if they got into the fight with her at her house or not. I actually think that the fight was really important in establishing a conflict... creating a moment where you know the relationship is at jeopardy. At least, it did to me. It also makes you feel bad, which makes the redemption sweeter.

I got both of her endings (I keep different save-slots so I can go back and replay major branches immediately afterward). I didn't dislike her route at all. I just like Shizune's route more. :-/

PKrockin

Need to work out today. Stupid headache!

Dehydrated, perhaps? I used to get headaches a lot until I started carrying around water everywhere and drinking much more of it. I feel much better overall since then too.

I encourage you all to go for a 20-minute walk if you're not getting any exercise. Just try it, I don't care if you have to put the Katawa Shoujo soundtrack on your MP3 player. You won't regret doing it, I assure you that much. Nobody looks back and wishes they didn't exercise.

I feel like I'm turning this thread into /fit/ or something.

XeroSauce

Dehydrated, perhaps? I used to get headaches a lot until I started carrying around water everywhere and drinking much more of it. I feel much better overall since then too.

I encourage you all to go for a 20-minute walk if you're not getting any exercise. Just try it, I don't care if you have to put the Katawa Shoujo soundtrack on your MP3 player. You won't regret doing it, I assure you that much. Nobody looks back and wishes they didn't exercise.

I feel like I'm turning this thread into /fit/ or something.

Actually, I've had a bad stomach and heart burn the last couple of days (still got my workout in!) so I've been drinking tons of hot water. It's term test week so I'm probably just stressed.

Me and Complex_Shadow work out almost 3 times a week but I missed yesterday because it felt like someone was hammering my brain with a spike. I've been keeping up with my running too. :)

But MY HEAD HURTS, and I have a test soon. Bleh.

EDIT: I'd appreciate any tips for light stuff I could do in case I miss a day. I generally do weights (arms, shoulders, back, thighs) and then go running for about 30-40 minutes, but I missed yesterday.
I'm planning on starting Rin's route tonight, hopefully get my mind off some of this stress.

P90

Sure you can. Look at how she utterly fails to grasp the significance/tone of Shizune's words.

Failing to grasp the full significance/tone of sign language is quite common. Flubbing a meaning or not knowing how to sign magnanimous does not signify Mischa is mentally challenged. Mischa interacts with Hisau in ways that are indicative of average intelligence.

PKrockin

Actually, I've had a bad stomach and heart burn the last couple of days (still got my workout in!) so I've been drinking tons of hot water. It's term test week so I'm probably just stressed.

Me and Complex_Shadow work out almost 3 times a week but I missed yesterday because it felt like someone was hammering my brain with a spike. I've been keeping up with my running too. :)

But MY HEAD HURTS, and I have a test soon. Bleh.

I'm planning on starting Rin's route tonight, hopefully get my mind off some of this stress.

Yeah, it's probably exam stress. I've been there. Good luck with your workouts and keep it up!

Just came in to post that I started this game yesterday and finished Emi's route today (both good and bad endings, and the alternative good ending route).
Pretty enjoyable and funny. And pretty sad at the end.
I can totally relate to
the anal sex scene
. I actually laughed out loud.

Katawa Shoujo is my first dip into the Visual Novel genre. I'm pretty impressed by the art and writing so far.

Venfayth

Just came in to post that I started this game yesterday and finished Emi's route today (both good and bad endings, and the alternative good ending route).
Pretty enjoyable and funny. And pretty sad at the end.
I can totally relate to
the anal sex scene
. I actually laughed out loud.

Katawa Shoujo is my first dip into the Visual Novel genre. I'm pretty impressed by the art and writing so far.

If you got feels like I did, I'd just say that if you're going to go for another route, I'd give it a few days before you dive in again.

Maybe not everyone is emotional as I am though, haha.

McNum

And I got an ending... A good one, I think. I liked it anyway.

(Lilly spoilers)
So, she almost leaves for Scotland, but Hiaso has a heart attack trying to chase her through the airport. Cue hospital and a near repetition of the opening. Fade to white, music box. And three, two, one... "D'aww..." That was a cute ending. I take it that if this is her good end, then in her bad end she goes to Scotland?

Interesting game so far. It kind of asks some rough questions, I'd say, and I think it exposed one of my prejudices to me that I'm not really that proud of... The lesson that "disabled people are people too, not just disabilities" is not one I feel should seem new to me, yet it did. And I feel horrible about learning that about myself. Well, now I know, and I can work with that. The worst prejudices are the ones you have but aren't aware of, after all. You can't work with those.

So, yeah, the game might be a a little on the disability-fetish side at times, but it does ask some good questions, too. Well, I wonder what route or ending I should go for next. If the Lily route was this thought provoking, I hope the others are good, too. I'm half expecting to start to consider running if I do Emi's route.

And I got an ending... A good one, I think. I liked it anyway.

(Lilly spoilers)
So, she almost leaves for Scotland, but Hiaso has a heart attack trying to chase her through the airport. Cue hospital and a near repetition of the opening. Fade to white, music box. And three, two, one... "D'aww..." That was a cute ending. I take it that if this is her good end, then in her bad end she goes to Scotland?

Interesting game so far. It kind of asks some rough questions, I'd say, and I think it exposed one of my prejudices to me that I'm not really that proud of... The lesson that "disabled people are people too, not just disabilities" is not one I feel should seem new to me, yet it did. And I feel horrible about learning that about myself. Well, now I know, and I can work with that. The worst prejudices are the ones you have but aren't aware of, after all. You can't work with those.

So, yeah, the game might be a a little on the disability-fetish side at times, but it does ask some good questions, too. Well, I wonder what route or ending I should go for next. If the Lily route was this thought provoking, I hope the others are good, too. I'm half expecting to start to consider running if I do Emi's route.

Yep you guessed right

PKrockin

I didn't really even like her route and I started running. So yeah :p

McNum

I didn't really even like her route and I started running. So yeah :p
Well, it does hammer the exercise thing in pretty hard. "Run or DIE!" Well, not in those exact words, but still... And as far as I know, my own heart is fine, but the advice that "If you can't run as much, try a 30 minute walk a day at least." That's good advice, really. Even if it's not high energy exercise, it's still good for you.

Edit: Actually, can you die in the game? Didn't really cross my mind until now...

Venfayth

Well, it does hammer the exercise thing in pretty hard. "Run or DIE!" Well, not in those exact words, but still... And as far as I know, my own heart is fine, but the advice that "If you can't run as much, try a 30 minute walk a day at least." That's good advice, really. Even if it's not high energy exercise, it's still good for you.

Edit: Actually, can you die in the game? Didn't really cross my mind until now...

Heh.

If you fail to interest any of the girls enough, you get a route that culminates in you hanging out with Kenji, and ultimately something .. bad happens..

McNum

Heh.

If you fail to interest any of the girls enough, you get a route that culminates in you hanging out with Kenji, and ultimately something .. bad happens..
Ah, I had kind of hoped Kenji had a secret, impossible to find, ending where there actually was a global feminist conspiracy.

Well, I guess I should try out that skip mode. Just to see if that's easier than obsessively saving.

McNum

Okay, skip mode? Pretty awesome. Does it only skip scenes I have already seen?

Oh, and choices I made before have a checkmark? The UI designer in me is doing a happy little jig. That's thoughtful design!

McNum

I can't tell whether it's great or sad that a dating simulator is driving people to improve their lives.
I would probably try it myself if it wasn't so cold outside.
Honestly, I came into this thinking it would just be some kind of dating sim, but I'd humor it anyway. It just shattered my expectations, and asks some questions you rarely see asked in games. It kind of blindsides you with these things, I guess. I don't know. Don't quite have the right word for it, yet. I do think I need to write this up for the eventual GOTY list for 2012, though. I could probably forget to mention it in 11 months time, which would be a shame.

Also, this game is entirely internet-made? Because those short animated clips are pretty well done. I've seen worse from some professional studios. Also, if it is, I'm kind of glad it's not voice acted.

PKrockin

I can't tell whether it's great or sad that a dating simulator is driving people to improve their lives.
I would probably try it myself if it wasn't so cold outside.

I live in friggin' North Dakota, it's just as cold here as it is in England. Put on a warm jacket and go do it.

What would Emi say?

Venfayth

I do think I need to write this up for the eventual GOTY list for 2012, though. I could probably forget to mention it in 11 months time, which would be a shame.

Yeah, for emotional involvement, never has a game hit me so hard, ever. That alone qualifies it for some kind of award; I hope we remember it at that point.

I live in friggin' North Dakota, it's just as cold here as it is in England. Put on a warm jacket and go do it.

What would Emi say?

^_^ I live in MN - been doing runs at night after work instead of the morning, easier for me, certainly just as cold.

So I've been hearing stuff for a while around the webs about KS and I've never done a visual novel before, so I figured I'd try it (yay, free!).

I played(?) my first time through with no intention of picking "routes" toward any specific girl, and wound up with Emi. And... Wow. It really hit close to home.

My ex-GF had the same problem. No, not the legs.
But everything about her not wanting anyone too close and thinking she can handle all her problems on her own
. I always wanted to help, but I never knew how, and it really hurt. I learned my lesson in RL to stuck with Emi till the end. Satisfying!

But I am really enamored with the story telling of this VN, which really surprises me. I also enjoy the music. I quickly found myself choosing different routes.

While going through with Emi, I found myself interested in what's Rin's story, so I tried to get on her path. I think I may have ended up on a semi-bad path? Not sure. The ending seemed bittersweet, like it could of been better.

Then I followed through with Lilly's path, which is the best one yet. I've always been a bit of a romantic, so this one really appealed to me. Definite "knot-in-throat" moment(s) in there.

Now just Hanako and Shizune left, and I'm looking forward to reading more!

I haven't had one of those life changing epiphanies like I've heard about yet, although I was kind of hoping :lol

/rant

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Man, Hanako has so much more fanart than Lily, makes it hard to find avatar material for her :(.

Random avatars I slapped together.
YDNHl.png
Lpf6s.png
USUNA.png

Oh lord, I just saw that Hisao and Hanako pic where he reveals he's Iron Man on his favorites. Freakin hilarious

Link? I can't see it anywhere.

Proven

So I've been hearing stuff for a while around the webs about KS and I've never done a visual novel before, so I figured I'd try it (yay, free!).

I played(?) my first time through with no intention of picking "routes" toward any specific girl, and wound up with Emi. And... Wow. It really hit close to home.

My ex-GF had the same problem. No, not the legs.
But everything about her not wanting anyone too close and thinking she can handle all her problems on her own
. I always wanted to help, but I never knew how, and it really hurt. I learned my lesson in RL to stuck with Emi till the end. Satisfying!

But I am really enamored with the story telling of this VN, which really surprises me. I also enjoy the music. I quickly found myself choosing different routes.

While going through with Emi, I found myself interested in what's Rin's story, so I tried to get on her path. I think I may have ended up on a semi-bad path? Not sure. The ending seemed bittersweet, like it could of been better.

Then I followed through with Lilly's path, which is the best one yet. I've always been a bit of a romantic, so this one really appealed to me. Definite "knot-in-throat" moment(s) in there.

Now just Hanako and Shizune left, and I'm looking forward to reading more!

I haven't had one of those life changing epiphanies like I've heard about yet, although I was kind of hoping :lol

/rant

It sounds like you didn't get the true ending for Rin. Might want to look up a guide though, considering how far you got with it.

Top Bottom