• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal Space Program |OT| 1.2 Loud and Clear - Comm Networks, New Fuel Flow and More

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That rocket has the big boosters on the side, a mainsail engine in the middle, and yeah a poodle for the final stage. Haven't found a use for the skipper engine yet. And yep, the equipment bay has lots of stuff in it:

- science Jr
- temp gauge
- barometer
- goo canister
- seismic gauge
- batt packs
- monopropellent spheres

It's a well packed little bay!

wow - would have expected that to almost be too powerful. Will try the combination out though.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
wow - would have expected that to almost be too powerful. Will try the combination out though.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the skipper is a more efficient engine than the mainsail, and I'm even wondering if I tested switching out the one for the other? I'm pretty sure the boosters take me up high enough that the skipper would be fine after stage conversion. I might try that out tonight.

r1chard

You don't need to leave the Kerbals there but you do need to have the required number there for at least a second or two to get the credit. I've actually designed myself a Minmus lander that will satisfy the requirements for a surface base mission I have. I have a mining drill on it so all I need to do is set her down over a good ore vein and I'll be able to fill up the fuel tanks and hop all over Minmus with my "base".
Oh, OK. I have some ideas how that might work now :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Had some tourist contracts which wanted to go to big the mun and minmus, so was playing with that yesterday. Managed to do a fly by of the mun on the way to minmus. Happy to have managed that, but it highlighted how tricky it is to use the tools available. Moving the camera to be able to see both manoeuvring node and target location, and be able to click the part of the node you want gets tricky. Then there often isn't enough ip fine grained control in the nodes - eg you have a minmus encounter in a few days, and you want to tweak prograde or node position a tiny bit to try and reduce periapsis on arrival. But the controls are too clunky to do that well.

i'd like a free roam camera so I can scroll over to the predicted target and see more clearly te imoact of my changes. And maybe hot keys mailed to the node controls so I can nudge prograde etc without needing the node to be visible. Lastly it definitely needs a fine tune - eg hold down shift while dragging to adjust in 1/10th of a unit or something.

As it is, I need to redo the mission anyway. Got my guys into a minmus orbit but when I tried decoupling my lander stage, it wouldn't detach. So I had this floppy transfer stage stuck to my arse, being dragged around by a few feeble spark engines. I tried a 'bump and go' which registered as a landing, but then the game went screwy and registered me as landed even while I was back in space.

Had some tourist contracts which wanted to go to big the mun and minmus, so was playing with that yesterday. Managed to do a fly by of the mun on the way to minmus. Happy to have managed that, but it highlighted how tricky it is to use the tools available. Moving the camera to be able to see both manoeuvring node and target location, and be able to click the part of the node you want gets tricky. Then there often isn't enough ip fine grained control in the nodes - eg you have a minmus encounter in a few days, and you want to tweak prograde or node position a tiny bit to try and reduce periapsis on arrival. But the controls are too clunky to do that well.

i'd like a free roam camera so I can scroll over to the predicted target and see more clearly te imoact of my changes. And maybe hot keys mailed to the node controls so I can nudge prograde etc without needing the node to be visible. Lastly it definitely needs a fine tune - eg hold down shift while dragging to adjust in 1/10th of a unit or something.

As it is, I need to redo the mission anyway. Got my guys into a minmus orbit but when I tried decoupling my lander stage, it wouldn't detach. So I had this floppy transfer stage stuck to my arse, being dragged around by a few feeble spark engines. I tried a 'bump and go' which registered as a landing, but then the game went screwy and registered me as landed even while I was back in space.

Using the wheel mouse while hovering over a node control point is fine adjustment.

Great idea for a mod, might have to install that one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
God I hate this. Zomming in and out to see how my trajectory's looking then WOOPS! accidentally edit the node.

yep - more a negative than a positive IMO. But thanks for letting me know - I will at least try it out before looking into that precision mod.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I *still* haven't done the minmus biome hopping I was planning to - kept getting distracted by contracts.

Now I have a nice set of contracts around the mun.
- dock two vessels in kerbin orbit. Will be my first practice for docking
- build an orbiting station around the mun supporting 5 kerbals. Will put this together in parts and include docking for a lander
- visual surveys of the mun. Will use the lander to do this from the station
- plant flag on mun. Likewise will use the lander for this.

Only question is - the station has to support 5 kerbals. Does that mean I have to put 5 kerbals in it to trigger the contract?

r1chard

212 hours in and I made my first SSTO spaceplane on the weekend. It's not pretty but it's very controllable and it's a straight shot at 40 degrees to space, no faffing about.

ZYTeRur.jpg

This one is pretty early-game in career mode still - I've not unlocked RAPIERs or aerospikes. Also, the lifting characteristics of the Mk2 fuselage pieces really suck in any design I make - the center of lift ends up way too forward when the tanks empty, hence the rocket parts for the body pieces.

All using Tier 6 or less (just using the Whiplash and the small delta wing from Tier 6).
Three Whiplash and a couple of Reliant for go. Air brakes only for braking on re-entry / landing, as they cause enough drag otherwise to not let me get to orbit and back.

Craft file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7229834/SSTO 1.craft

Only question is - the station has to support 5 kerbals. Does that mean I have to put 5 kerbals in it to trigger the contract?
Yep, you need to have the kerbals in it to get the contract. They don't have to stay once the contract is completed (nor does the base, hint hint.)

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Getting a new PC very soon. Can't wait to play this at high settings. Also, not having to worry (so much) about the amount of parts on my ships/stations.

DBT85

Getting a new PC very soon. Can't wait to play this at high settings. Also, not having to worry (so much) about the amount of parts on my ships/stations.

Until they get KSP running on Unity 5 there are going to be some limits regardless of your machine sadly.

With decent 64 bit support in Unity 5 you'd be able to run more mods, several of which make the game look stunning. Unity 5 support is coming and is high on the list of things to do, apparently.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Until they get KSP running on Unity 5 there are going to be some limits regardless of your machine sadly.

With decent 64 bit support in Unity 5 you'd be able to run more mods, several of which make the game look stunning. Unity 5 support is coming and is high on the list of things to do, apparently.

It's still going to be an upgrade from the settings I run now... Everything on minimum. Still, my current laptop's fans blaring away makes the jet engines sound more realistic. But yes, my upgrade was with unity 5 in mind.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
212 hours in and I made my first SSTO spaceplane on the weekend. It's not pretty but it's very controllable and it's a straight shot at 40 degrees to space, no faffing about.

This one is pretty early-game in career mode still - I've not unlocked RAPIERs or aerospikes. Also, the lifting characteristics of the Mk2 fuselage pieces really suck in any design I make - the center of lift ends up way too forward when the tanks empty, hence the rocket parts for the body pieces.

All using Tier 6 or less (just using the Whiplash and the small delta wing from Tier 6).
Three Whiplash and a couple of Reliant for go. Air brakes only for braking on re-entry / landing, as they cause enough drag otherwise to not let me get to orbit and back.

Craft file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7229834/SSTO 1.craft

Yep, you need to have the kerbals in it to get the contract. They don't have to stay once the contract is completed (nor does the base, hint hint.)

Do kerbals weigh anything? Was thinking to build this fancy base with docked sections etc and send it over to the mun in pieces, but maybe I could just slap a hitchhiker below a MK1 command pod and put some solar panels on it. I'll play with designs in kerbin orbit, see what I like. Will be good practice for sending orbital bases further out.

Nice. SSTO is something I want to start soon. Although that section of the tech tree hasn't been prioritised, I've been focusing on unlocking rocket stuff so far.

r1chard

That time when you send a bus to the Mun to pick up all the scientists there and they make it back and you only just realise when you're committed to re-entry that you forgot to put on the parachutes :(

AcAnchoa

Is someone else getting massive FPS drop in the tracking station screen? The game runs well enough (in terms of what KSP has always been for me anyway) until I click on that building.

Do kerbals weigh anything?
They weigh around 90 kg, but it only adds to the craft when they are seated in an external seat.

Mengy

I've been playing around with base designs in trying to get one on the surface of Minmus to complete a contract I have. I decided that I wanted to fulfill the following criteria:

- must have plenty of solar power and batteries
- must support 6 kerbals
- must have a science processing module
- must have an ore processor unit
- must have a cupola
- must be mobil
- must have docking port
- must have a mining drill and ore tank

So what I came up with in the end was basically a huge lander. I call it the Minmus Explorer Lander MkI:

I just unlocked nuclear engines last in the tech tree and they have a huge efficiency rating, so I used them on the lander for propulsion. This is the final rocket I designed to get her into space:

It's huge, it's expensive, but it gets the job done. Note that this final version of the rocket and lander took FOREVER to come up with. There were lots of failed designs in order to get here. Rockets that never made Kerbin orbit. Landers that didn't have enough delta V to make it to Minmus. I originally had a huge fairing around the lander for better aerodynamics but the weight of it was just too much, it's actually easier to just beat wind drag getting into orbit than it is to lift that much weight up there. I'm certain it could be done better and cheaper. Maybe lifting the lander into orbit as sections, joining them up in orbit like Voltron, an then flying to Minmus, but oh well this works.

Once I got her into orbit with 6 kerbals on board it was time to fly to Minmus!

By the time I got circularized around Minmus I had very little fuel left. The nuclear engines are efficient but weak, so it took some long burns to get here. Luckily though orbital maneuvers around Minmus take very little delta V due to it's low gravity, and the nuclear engines are so damned efficient that a little fuel can go a long way.

I made my descent to the surface using as few thrusts as possible, flying to only a few hundred feet above the surface before braking at all, and by some tiny miracle I managed to land with just fumes left in the tanks!

Once landed it was time to find out if this drill technology could do what it's supposed to do and fill the fuel tanks back up by processing ore. Sure enough, the drill worked just dandy, and after a day or two of drilling and processing, we had full fuel tanks in our little nuclear powered lander! Now I'm free to hop all over Minmus collecting science and then processing the data in the science lab for immensely huge tech gains! I'm pretty sure this little base will easily get me the entire tech tree!

My next goal after this Minmus exploration mission is done: land on Duna for my first time ever. It's nigh time I get out of the Kerbin sphere of influence and out into the solar system some.

Looks very cool, just one comment. Yes, nuclear engines have a very high ISP, but they are also very heavy. What this means is that below a certain amount of fuel/craft weight, the extra weight of the nuke gives you less dv than other less efficient, but far lighter engines, and you have three nukes strapped to that thing. If you haven't already, check and see if three Terriers (or even three Sparks) actually give you more dv than the nukes (also make sure you're adding/removing the oxidizer each time you switch so it's a fair comparison). I know in my personal designs, the only craft I've made where a nuke was actually the best choice was my multi-orange tank interplanetary craft.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Crazy looking but amazing. Isn't there an easier way to build bases on the surface? Or if you were struggling for delta v for the transfer, you could send up a towing vehicle for that part, so you end up lifting less weight into kerbin orbit.

Mengy

Looks very cool, just one comment. Yes, nuclear engines have a very high ISP, but they are also very heavy. What this means is that below a certain amount of fuel/craft weight, the extra weight of the nuke gives you less dv than other less efficient, but far lighter engines, and you have three nukes strapped to that thing. If you haven't already, check and see if three Terriers (or even three Sparks) actually give you more dv than the nukes (also make sure you're adding/removing the oxidizer each time you switch so it's a fair comparison). I know in my personal designs, the only craft I've made where a nuke was actually the best choice was my multi-orange tank interplanetary craft.

Huh, interesting. Yeah they are heavy but I figured that once in space and on Minmus the weight wouldn't matter much. I'll try a version with terrirer's though just to see how it compares. I basically only tried using nukes for two reasons:

1. I had just unlocked them, so I HAD to use them
2. I thought they looked cool as ice strapped alongside the ore unit like that!

Learned something neat though, they overheat quite a bit. After the burn to leave Kerbin orbit it took them a day to cool down and stop glowing red. I was very afraid they were going to actually explode at one point...

Crazy looking but amazing. Isn't there an easier way to build bases on the surface? Or if you were struggling for delta v for the transfer, you could send up a towing vehicle for that part, so you end up lifting less weight into kerbin orbit.

Oh I'm sure there is a much easier way. Probably more practical too. My Kerbals have a habit of doing things the hard and brute force way! And then, later on, refining and improving things...

DBT85

So, after a while of not playing much I've just put a few hours in in my career. Finally got Valentina to orbit and so then sent Jeb up in a new vessel with a few Goo pods to try and get some 250km science. (Use the Science X mod btw, very useful).

Launch went perfectly, at a 75km orbit I had 350m/s dV remaining, more than enough. Off I pops to a 500km Ap, burn complete, more than enough fuel left to drop my 75km Pe down enough to aerobrake for landing. Al the while I've been EVAing to get reports and so on, got about 10 reports to take back and 3 goo pods.

Then I pressed space.

Main engine separation and Jeb once more flying around aimlessly. So I did what any good Mission Director would do, and told Jeb to get out and push. Several orbits later I had managed to get the Pe down to 50km and so enough to let it do the rest of the work.

On final reentry I notice that my chute is already blue, I'd already staged it somehow.

As my ablator drops from 200 to 180 and the reentry heat dies down, my chute pops and breaks.

Bye Jeb! His first mission too since Valentina had flown all the rest.

I should also add, if you want some missions tailored to building bases/stations that need continual love rather than just building and forgetting like the stock missions. Look up Contract Configurator and the Contract Packs people (including me) have made for it. Mine is all for ScanSat but there are about 10 other mission packs, some for mods, some not.

Also obviously, use CKAN for your mods. Just easier.

Crispy75

You can survive a bust parachute on re-entry by going EVA and using backpack rockets to slow your descent. So long as you're landing in the water, anyway.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm running out of patience with the game. Everything totally wigs out for me whenever I try to do anything involving other planets. Sometimes I can't place maneuver nodes at all. The intersect icons go crazy when I'm trying to rendezvous with my vessel orbiting the sun. Trying to perform small adjustment burns to reduce my periapsis during interplanetary transit is a fucking chore because of overlapping icons. It really seems like the developers put a ton of effort into the experience of orbiting near Kerbin and its moons, but the map view UI just falls apart when you try to explore further out.

r1chard

Tonight I finally tried sending a probe mission to Duna (216 hours into the game and my first mission to Duna!) Actually, three probes - one to land on Ike for a contract and the other two to just survey*. And it was going swimmingly - with a Mun gravity boost and all - until I was planning the final maneuver in Duna space to split up the probes and I went to decouple them and ... hey, the damn decoupler isn't working.

Fuck.

The solar panels were all pointing away from the sun after the previous maneuver and I forgot to check. Probes dead. ARGH!

Well, next time...

* and next time I'll skip the extra probes as I just learned that you can't actually orbit Ike, so I really only need the one surveyor probe that has enough juice to get to Ike's surface and back into polar orbit of Duna :)

I'm running out of patience with the game. Everything totally wigs out for me whenever I try to do anything involving other planets. Sometimes I can't place maneuver nodes at all. The intersect icons go crazy when I'm trying to rendezvous with my vessel orbiting the sun. Trying to perform small adjustment burns to reduce my periapsis during interplanetary transit is a fucking chore because of overlapping icons. It really seems like the developers put a ton of effort into the experience of orbiting near Kerbin and its moons, but the map view UI just falls apart when you try to explore further out.
I recommend Precise Node for any sort of serious maneuver planning. I don't know what I'd do without it, and I only just installed it a few days ago! No more stuffing about dragging those (sometimes very difficult to get to) handles on the maneuver node. Just hit some buttons in the separate gui. With much clearer conic displays and all!

Mengy

Everything totally wigs out for me whenever I try to do anything involving other planets. Sometimes I can't place maneuver nodes at all. The intersect icons go crazy when I'm trying to rendezvous with my vessel orbiting the sun. Trying to perform small adjustment burns to reduce my periapsis during interplanetary transit is a fucking chore because of overlapping icons. It really seems like the developers put a ton of effort into the experience of orbiting near Kerbin and its moons, but the map view UI just falls apart when you try to explore further out.

Map needs a total redesign if you ask me. So many things wrong with it.

Wow, no kidding? I'm about to start pushing out beyond Kerbin sphere of influence for the first time ever, so I've not seen any map or node problems yet, but that surprises me.

Guess I'll find out firsthand soon enough....

Crispy75

Wow, no kidding? I'm about to start pushing out beyond Kerbin sphere of influence for the first time ever, so I've not seen any map or node problems yet, but that surprises me.

Nodes have three states - unselected, with buttons, with handles. Switching between the states is inconsistent and can be infuriating.
It's very hard to tease out the selection of one craft among others that are close by
Ditto for choosing the current camera target
It would be very nice to be able to switch contexts - ie, what does this manoeuvre look like from another body's SOI?
Undo!

DBT85

Tonight I finally tried sending a probe mission to Duna (216 hours into the game and my first mission to Duna!) Actually, three probes - one to land on Ike for a contract and the other two to just survey*. And it was going swimmingly - with a Mun gravity boost and all - until I was planning the final maneuver in Duna space to split up the probes and I went to decouple them and ... hey, the damn decoupler isn't working.

Fuck.

The solar panels were all pointing away from the sun after the previous maneuver and I forgot to check. Probes dead. ARGH!

Well, next time...

* and next time I'll skip the extra probes as I just learned that you can't actually orbit Ike, so I really only need the one surveyor probe that has enough juice to get to Ike's surface and back into polar orbit of Duna :)

Unless something changed you can orbit Ike. I wrote a mission for it and did it!

Played a long time and while it's a pain in the ass at times, it is... workable.

Nodes have three states - unselected, with buttons, with handles. Switching between the states is inconsistent and can be infuriating.
It's very hard to tease out the selection of one craft among others that are close by
It would be very nice to be able to switch contexts - ie, what does this manoeuvre look like from another body's SOI?
Undo!

I agree the base game should handle it better, but if you don't mind mods, Precise Node lets you numerically edit maneuver nodes no matter where you are looking. Makes precise adjustments when zoomed out trivially easy.

Yeah managing the nodes in interplanetary missions becomes its own mini game. Working with camera angles and target focus to allow you to see points of intercept while still being able to move the handles.. ugh. I just installed Precision Node. My next missions are all going to be to Duna so I might as well get used to using it now.

I have been on a KSP break, not because anything KSP, my friend got me to try Heroes of the Storm and I am hooked on playing that when I have free time. I will land on every planet in career mode though damn it.

Mengy

Yeah managing the nodes in interplanetary missions becomes its own mini game. Working with camera angles and target focus to allow you to see points of intercept while still being able to move the handles.. ugh. I just installed Precision Node. My next missions are all going to be to Duna so I might as well get used to using it now.

I have been on a KSP break, not because anything KSP, my friend got me to try Heroes of the Storm and I am hooked on playing that when I have free time. I will land on every planet in career mode though damn it.

I think I'm going to install that Precision Node mod too, it looks handy. I only have one mod installed, Kerbal Engineer, and it's so damn useful that I'm not sure I could play without it now. I mean, sure I could, but I wouldn't want to, lol.

Heroes of the Storm is a great game, I've been playing it casually for months now. It's the first moba style game that I've really enjoyed playing. For myself, Elite Dangerous and DiRT Rally have been eating up my game time lately. I keep KSP for the weekends because once I start playing it I always end up playing it for hours and hours, I get very engrossed in it.

DBT85

I have 20 installed all in!

Most useful for me right now
X Science - Shows you what science you have and have not got
Engineer - Just essential for so much additional data.
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - What it says on the tin
Kerbal Alarm Clock - Amazing mod, warp to manoeuvre nodes, set times, etc etc.
RCS Build aid - Very useful when designing anything that is going to need RCS to function so that it is balanced properly
SCANSat - Just a fun thing for scanning each body with different scanners
Contract Configurator and the SCANSat pack - New missions.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Going to install precise node - sounds ideal and I'm already frustrated with default nodes just travelling to mun and minmus.

Only have three others installed so far
- Kerbal engineer (just for basics so far)
- chatterer (entirely pointless but great fun)
- whatever one warns you when there is science available.

Also curious about EVE (I think) that makes the worlds look prettier with clouds etc.

I am getting very bad computer crashes when either the POD hits the ground or I click the Retrieve Vessel button. Is this a common bug?

I am playing this on a XPS 13

r1chard

Undo!
Just FYI, Precision Node offers that functionality to view the planned trajectory in a variety of different ways, and also be able to fine-tune the trajectory when viewing it in relation to some other body's SOI.

Crispy75

Sounds like precise node is the bees knees :)

I run Engine Lights, Kerbal Engineer and Chatterer

Engine lights is such an obvious thing I don't know why it's not in vanilla. Looks great when you're landing in the dark and your landing burn illuminates the surrounding terrain.

Are you running any mods at all? Any particular settings you've picked?

I am playing Vanilla. Lowest graphical settings but highest available resolution. It freezes the whole computer, the sound byte keeps resetting and I have to do a hard reset

DBT85

For those interested, the work on Unity 5 has begun for KSP. Once KSP is on Unity 5 that would mean better multithreading, better 64bit support which in turn would hugely open up the options for mods that need more memory like the graphical ones.

I am playing Vanilla. Lowest graphical settings but highest available resolution. It freezes the whole computer, the sound byte keeps resetting and I have to do a hard reset

Seems strange, have you tried running at a different resolution or windowed at all?

I'm also assuming you've not been running the 64bit version?

r1chard

My first three-Kerbal mission to Duna (well, Ike) was going swimmingly, until I realised that neither my lander nor tug had RCS. Out Valentina gets to push - fortunately I realised my stupid mistake very quickly so the amount of pushing was minimised :)

Now I just need to see whether I've managed to do the dV juggle well enough to get them all home...

DBT85

Installed afew extra mods last night, one which keeps all the vertical segments of stock fairings together when it separates, rather than spraying a dozen parts around, also Precise Node and a couple others.

Unlocked a little more science and parts so put a couple of Science Jr in orbit and got some science at 75 km and 250km. Really think there should be re-entry science too.

Edited one of my Mission Pack missions to make some long needed changes and test it out and so sent my first probe in this save into a polar orbit after getting the mission in my save.

My rocket. I have no shroud yet so I needed to make sure I didn't break anything off in the atmosphere on takeoff. I acutally flipped the rocket twice on the ascent stage but managed to save it somehow. Fins would be useful next time!

The deployed satellite. You cna see the details of the contract on the right hand side here. I'm using the Wider Contracts mod too which makes things easier to read.

I have tried to do EVA's on Kerbal after a very soft landing but my astronauts keep dieing on excursion. Any idea why this is?

r1chard

Put a satellite around Duna, they asked. Sure, I said, I've only just figured out how to get there (with the help of some mods like Protractor) but I'll give it a go!

Then I got there and realised that the orbit was the opposite direction, but basically sharing the same orbital path as Ike. Yup.

So, since all I needed was 10 seconds of stable orbit, I played chicken with Ike for a while and eventually got this "orbit" planned:

\o/ contract owned :)

I've just spent some time playing around in sandbox mode with hyperedit installed - it's the "simulator" I've been looking for all this time! So nice to not have to do an entire mission to some other planet just to realise that there's not quite enough dV to break back into orbit. Yes, I know there's those charts, but for some reason I almost always need more dV than they say (yes, I accept that it might be both my shitty rocketry design skills and piloting to blame :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
taking the second section of my space station to the mun - had to make some tweaks to the design and I forgot to put batteries back on. Barely managed to get to rendevous by carefully timing my maneuvers to always be in direct sun - then realised I'd also forgot to put my RCS tanks back on too.

arse.

DBT85

I have tried to do EVA's on Kerbal after a very soft landing but my astronauts keep dieing on excursion. Any idea why this is?

They certainly shouldn't die just form getting out of the vehicle. You have stopped any movement right? Just put a command pod on the launch pad and do an EVA from there to see what happens.

I've just spent some time playing around in sandbox mode with hyperedit installed - it's the "simulator" I've been looking for all this time! So nice to not have to do an entire mission to some other planet just to realise that there's not quite enough dV to break back into orbit. Yes, I know there's those charts, but for some reason I almost always need more dV than they say (yes, I accept that it might be both my shitty rocketry design skills and piloting to blame :)

I use the charts and Engineer, and add a few hundred extra dV for good luck since I'm far from perfect! Don't forget that things like launching too fast will waste dV as it'll be eaten by friction as you leave the Kerbin atmosphere.

taking the second section of my space station to the mun - had to make some tweaks to the design and I forgot to put batteries back on. Barely managed to get to rendevous by carefully timing my maneuvers to always be in direct sun - then realised I'd also forgot to put my RCS tanks back on too.

arse.

Welcome to KSP! lol. Now you have to send an extra module with RCS tanks and slot it in. Just pretend you're NASA going back to Hubble to fit its glasses.

Some of the most fun I've had in KSP has been having a Kerbal/ship stranded somewhere, sending a rescue ship/mission only to get that stranded too and then having to do a third!

Right now I'm still allowing myself to do reverts to launch and VAB while I learn the new aero, but soon I'll turn off that option and whomever dies or gets stranded is stuck there!

Last time I started a game like that I killed Jeb on the first launch by not moving my chute from the same staging as the SRB! KABLOOM!! Such a noob error and one I still do.

They certainly shouldn't die just form getting out of the vehicle. You have stopped any movement right? Just put a command pod on the launch pad and do an EVA from there to see what happens.

It seems that I have isolated the problem.

So I did some tests.

I. EVA on launch pad: OK
II. EVA after simple rocket launch: Some OK, some death.
III. EVA after simple rocket launch THROTTLE ENGAGED SAS OFF RCS OFF: OK
IV. EVA after simple rocket launch THROTTLE ENGAGED SAS OFF RCS ON: DEATH

The Kerbal seems to fall from the floor

Here are a couple of pics from said tragedies:

2015-06-05%2016_57_56-Greenshot.png

2015-06-05%2016_57_59-Greenshot.png

2015-06-05%2016_58_10-Greenshot.png

DBT85

It looks like you have time acceleration on?

That would probably do it. The physics gets...excited when time acceleration is on.

Top Bottom