• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Busaiku

So did anyone else think the
Aurum
Chapters were much easier?
I just got through
Aurum Pyrrhon
and for the most part, I've been able to handle these Chapters at 8.0.

Most of the previous Chapters I couldn't even get through 7.0 sometimes on a full run.

OmegaZero

When does this quotefrom the trailers show up?

Palutena: "Big monsters kill Pit, GRRR!"

I'm dying waiting for it. Already on Chapter
. Did I miss it?

IIRC it happens randomly during a chapter. I've had it appear in
Chapter 4, Chapter 5, and Chapter 12.

Neiteio

IIRC it happens randomly during a chapter. I've had it appear in
Chapter 4, Chapter 5, and Chapter 12.
Yep. The "big monsters kill Pit GRRR" exchange is random and can happen in the ground portion of any chapter, it seems. Same with the "balding wings" exchange and some of the other jokes. So fun. :)

Ragus

Banned
037b0c0f.jpg
The stand can be very useful ;).

Just finished this bad boy. Had a great time. I was very sceptical at first about everything being so over the top and having absolutely nothing to do with Kid Icarus, but in the end it just kind of works and the whole thing is veeery Sakurai.

Is it just me or did anyone else get sort of Suda51 vibes from this? I'm thinking about the self awareness, the retro things, over the top, mechas etc? No?

Neiteio

Just finished this bad boy. Had a great time. I was very sceptical at first about everything being so over the top and having absolutely nothing to do with Kid Icarus, but in the end it just kind of works and the whole thing is veeery Sakurai.
It actually does a great job paying homage to the spirit of the source material, whether it's recreating virtually all of the old enemies and elements, from Eggplant Wizard to hot springs, or delivering a natural progression of the original's whimsy.

Is it just me or did anyone else get sort of Suda51 vibes from this? I'm thinking about the self awareness, the retro things, over the top, mechas etc? No?
To be honest, I kept thinking of Hideo Kojima. The bits in certain flight sections where things pop out in front of the screen just to goof with you (
the eyes in Chapter 21, the various enemies in Chapter 24, iirc
), as well as the fourth-wall breaking reminded me of Kojima. The main difference being, Sakurai knows how to tell a coherent story, and with minimal cutscenes for that matter. (Though for the record, I actually love MGS4.)

So, in trying to finish Lady Plautena's Treasure Hunt, some amazing things happened.

Chapter 7: Beat by the skin of my teeth on 9.0. Brief Invincibility L.3 is a godsend for when you're surrounded in small rooms.
And for those that want to know, behind the 9.0 Door on that chapter
There is NO hidden weapon there, only a chest

Also, is it me, or is "Narrowly avoiding shots in air battles" broken? Or maybe the window for the move is so strict that its near impossible to do. You can check it on your records page.

Poyunch

This is my main weapon. I use it in both the main game and online.

Before I got this Gaol Blade I used to use these claws. They're pretty good and I use it whenever I want to shake things up.

I also spent so many weapons trying to get these Claws. I really wanted homing and paralysis in one weapon so I just kept fusing and fusing. The problem is I realized after the fact that homing doesn't do much for claws. Plus I have more success using my other claws online. I might turn them into a blade whenever I get bored.

Neiteio

I know, I know.

I just pre-empted the smartass who would reply with "bomba!"

:)
I don't know about you but I don't live in Japan. I want to see U.S. numbers so I know this isn't Earthbound all over again, I.E. sells well in Japan so they get the sequel and we don't.

It actually does a great job paying homage to the spirit of the source material, whether it's recreating virtually all of the old enemies and elements, from Eggplant Wizard to hot springs, or delivering a natural progression of the original's whimsy.

To be honest, I kept thinking of Hideo Kojima. The bits in certain flight sections where things pop out in front of the screen just to goof with you (
the eyes in Chapter 21, the various enemies in Chapter 24, iirc
), as well as the fourth-wall breaking reminded me of Kojima. The main difference being, Sakurai knows how to tell a coherent story, and with minimal cutscenes for that matter. (Though for the record, I actually love MGS4.)

Yeah in that respect it's pretty cool. But I can't help but thinking about what an adventure game by, say, Retro or EAD would've played like. Not saying I don't like this, it's very cool - BUt it would've worked just as well without the IP (one can argue that the first game was just as whimsical, what with the eggplant wizards and whatnot)

WallJump

Banned
Also, is it me, or is "Narrowly avoiding shots in air battles" broken? Or maybe the window for the move is so strict that its near impossible to do. You can check it on your records page.

Been using the dodge ability and everything and my counter is a big fat goose egg. I wonder about this too.

Not great but not terrible. I don't mind aiming with the stylus but I really don't like turning with it.
I didn't really like it until I messed with the sliders and fine-tuned things. That plus more time playing really brought me around on the controls to the point where I actually like how they feel now.

Oh lordie, I was all excited about being up to 83/120 unlocked on the Palutena treasure hunt, then...

A whole new treasure map with 120 more squares opens up. The game keeps on giving.

Also, I've gotten weapon crafting down to a science. I've slowly engineered a pretty badass palm weapon. I have a couple of 6-star weapons that I need to engineer into a high-level bow (6-star range and at least 4-star melee).

Finally, does offering up hearts in the option menu really do nothing?

Neiteio

Yeah in that respect it's pretty cool. But I can't help but thinking about what an adventure game by, say, Retro or EAD would've played like. Not saying I don't like this, it's very cool - BUt it would've worked just as well without the IP (one can argue that the first game was just as whimsical, what with the eggplant wizards and whatnot)
I think the IP enhances it a lot. Constant jokes about things being more pixelated back in the '80s, the use of sprites on the lower screen, the wealth of lore the game is able to draw upon and the nostalgia that goes with it -- it's just so perfect. And the premise of an angel that can't fly by himself lends itself perfectly to the limited flight --> ground battle structure Sakurai wanted to utilize in a game. The IP and this game go together so well, even though on paper the game itself seems so radically different from the NES original. In spirit, it's not. :)

Neiteio

Oh lordie, I was all excited about being up to 83/120 unlocked on the Palutena treasure hunt, then...

A whole new treasure map with 120 more squares opens up. The game keeps on giving.
Yeah, don't get too excited when you get to 83/120 on that one as well. Heh heh heh.

Croc

Banned
Anybody figured out what the swords/daggers on the Together menu mean yet? I have 3 of the dark blue crossed swords and 1 green dagger.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Arrived at Chapter 14. Well, what to say.
THIS GAME. The graphics are OUTSTANDING, and I'd dare to say not only for 3DS, between direction, effects and scale of the scenes, especially in on-rail sections, something too awesome to be real. And then, the ground sections. The controls can be difficult at the beginning, but now dashing comes naturally, the camera works in a good way...and so many weapons! I haven't been impressed SO MUCH with a Nintendo title since...Super Mario Galaxy. THIS GAME.

WallJump

Banned
This is the first game I've played for my 3DS which makes me realize how short the battery life is on this console :-/

Not a bad problem to have, really.

WallJump

Banned
HnuT9.jpg

Currently sold out at Amazon proper. This has to be good, right?

They matched Best Buy's $29.99 offer recently (and refunded me the difference- woohoo!) and I imagine that burned through a good chunk of their stock. Good news indeed if it means it's selling well.

eXistor

Just when you thought the game couldn't get any more awesome along comes
chapter 18 and up
Holy hell this game just keeps on giving. I laugh at the time I thought the controls needed work; they're great! This really is a full-on Nintendo classic and GOTY so far.

Tom_Cody

They matched Best Buy's $29.99 offer recently (and refunded me the difference- woohoo!) and I imagine that burned through a good chunk of their stock. Good news indeed if it means it's selling well.
Yeah, I benefited from that too. Pleasant surprise. I fully expected that I was paying $39.99 until I got that email. Bonus.

I just picked this up from Best Buy and got it for their $29.99 deal. I'm just going through the tutorials right now, but so far I'm loving the humor in this game. Please tell me this carries over to the main game.

Neiteio

Another reason to hope for this game's success in the U.S. is to show NOA that if they advertise people will more likely buy their game. I can't count how many titles were, by comparison, sent out to die with little to no marketing presence. NOA went all-out advertising Kid Icarus and so I hope it succeeds to show them it was worthwhile, which would hopefully equate to more chances on other obscure or "forgotten" IPs coming over here.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I just picked this up from Best Buy and got it for their $29.99 deal. I'm just going through the tutorials right now, but so far I'm loving the humor in this game. Please tell me this carries over to the main game.

Get ready for so much awesomeness.

Nibel

Just pre-ordered at Amazon Germany.

Normally I wait for most games to drop the price, but I get hyped from all channels: GAF, friends etc.. Wow.

ghibli99

Just bought it from Best Buy as well. I don't trust Amazon with shipping stuff like this... they have a bad habit of shipping boxed games in shitty padded mailers.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just when you thought the game couldn't get any more awesome along comes
chapter 18 and up
Holy hell this game just keeps on giving. I laugh at the time I thought the controls needed work; they're great! This really is a full-on Nintendo classic and GOTY so far.

This honestly may be Sakurai's best game so far. There's just too much in it, too much experience, and sheer, balls-out confidence in design and execution. Nothing is "meh", everything has its proper place and is used to the fullest extent possible.

The quality is so absurdly high that the drive to play it may end up helping most people overcome confusion with the controls and interface.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This is what a video game should be. The entire package is almost pitch-perfect. The presentation, the gameplay, the amount of content both main and ancillary...this is Nintendo at its best and this is video gaming at its best.

Oh you have no idea. There's a character who's around for three chapters who spouts off one hilarious line after another.

Dr.Hadji

I think the IP enhances it a lot. Constant jokes about things being more pixelated back in the '80s, the use of sprites on the lower screen, the wealth of lore the game is able to draw upon and the nostalgia that goes with it -- it's just so perfect. And the premise of an angel that can't fly by himself lends itself perfectly to the limited flight --> ground battle structure Sakurai wanted to utilize in a game. The IP and this game go together so well, even though on paper the game itself seems so radically different from the NES original. In spirit, it's not. :)

I don't know about that. I think this is a case in which the original games don't carry a strong (or at least a strong enough to last these many long years) spirit and just Uprising just provides a very popular alternative. Its as if we went from Metroid II Return of Samus to Other M and Other M didn't have a storytelling style that made GAF rage.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, the referential humor is nice when they use it but I don't feel like its where I'm deriving a significant portion of my enjoyment from the presentation. Except for the way they use the old music for a couple enemies: I like that a lot

Top Bottom