• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Chapter 7 was so good. Amazing visually.
The dialogue between Thanatos, Pit, and Palutena was the funniest yet, too.

Posts like this are really funny to me because the progression of pretty much every poster in this thread (myself included) seems to be "Chapter X is so amazing", "Chapter X+1 is the best yet", "Chapter X+3 is crazy!"

Jintor

You know what just dawned on me, I haven't had this much genuine "I feel like 8 years old and this is the reason I love video games" fun with a game since Bayonetta. That's not all either, both games are actually very similar when you think about it (A deeply satisfying combat system, A shitton of weapons, insane replay value, cheeky story, etc.). And if my avatar is any indication, that's as much praise as I can give a single game.

I never made this comparison. Amazing.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Somehow I managed to get a Speed +3 stat into my awesome Somewhat Staff. No more sloppy movement speed is soo good.
Posts like this are really funny to me because the progression of pretty much every poster in this thread (myself included) seems to be "Chapter X is so amazing", "Chapter X+1 is the best yet", "Chapter X+3 is crazy!"

Every part of this game is amazing. I've been playing for over 50 hours and i'm only chapter

I haven't felt this feeling from a game in a long time.

Jarsonot

Finished campaign (first time) going through all of 'em on 7 now, then 9!

Maybe so some multiplayer first while tons of people are playing... Yeah.

This game rocks.

Diffense

Beginning of Fairy Orbitars idol description:
Tired of pixies asking you to listen?
lol
Sakurai is a 100% Nintendo fanboy turned developer.

Hey guys/gals. Have had the 3DS since the Newegg sale in its box and bought KI from that Amazon sale. Was wondering, can you have multiple profiles to play? Like separate saves or are me and my brother screwed? Thanks.

Hey guys/gals. Have had the 3DS since the Newegg sale in its box and bought KI from that Amazon sale. Was wondering, can you have multiple profiles to play? Like separate saves or are me and my brother screwed? Thanks.

Multiple saves, each tied to a single Mii.

I totally underestimated this game. I haven't been swallowed this completely in years.

Of course! You, your bro and then still one.
Three saves allowed.
Edit:beaten 2x

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Beginning of Fairy Orbitars idol description:
Tired of pixies asking you to listen?
lol
Sakurai is a 100% Nintendo fanboy turned developer.

But he made kirby. You know back on original gameboy. He didn't do the English script. Almost all the jokes that would be funny for english audiences was done by NoA

Giolon

IIRC it happens randomly during a chapter. I've had it appear in
Chapter 4, Chapter 5, and Chapter 12.

Yep. The "big monsters kill Pit GRRR" exchange is random and can happen in the ground portion of any chapter, it seems. Same with the "balding wings" exchange and some of the other jokes. So fun. :)

That explains why I haven't heard it yet! So I didn't just miss it.

I think Ali Hillis (Lightning, Liara) did her best work of all time in this game. XD It certainly sounds like the most fun.

On a side note, I turned off Spot Pass on Nintendo Video so my Palutena's Revolting Dinner shorts won't get overwritten. :( Nintendo NEEDS to give us a legit way to save these things.

People keep using the word "confident" to describe this game and I think that works incredibly well.

Controls aside (not that they don't count, but they're not part of the point I'm making here), the game never seems to even consider doing anything but diving headfirst in to what its doing. No one went "Is there too much dialogue here? Players might not be able attention to it all." And if they were, they were just told not to worry about it.

The game knows what it wants to do and does not hedge its bets.

Yeah, we get 3 Slots. But I have been trying to delete a save but haven't figure out how yet. Anyone can help?

seipherzero

Neo Member
Man oh man. I'm in the middle of playing The Last Story and TWEWY still... but THIS THREAD got me mad hyped and I started playing the other night... SOOOO GOOD. Juggling three games, let's go!

And holy shit. Burning Palm. I can now God Finger/ Sekihatenkyouken everything!!

Time to get my Seki Tomokazu voice on!

xjNkW.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've currently been rotating between my 2star/2star Meteor Bow, 2star/2star Crusader Blade or whatever and the hilariously awesome Bowl Arm (5star/0star). I love the Bowl Arm so much.

Sadist

"Hey those things look like Metroids"

"NO"

"What do you mean no? They totally-"

"NO! This is an entirely different game and we will not speak of that other series"

"Okay, sheesh...."

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Holy shit @ Chapter
. No twists or anything, just pure awesome. The flight sequence was especially great from the moment the music kicked in (dat bass guitar).
I hope Phosphora shows up again. Thanatos made a reappearance, so it's not out of the question.

I really wish they would sell the OST or make it available on Club Nintendo. I'd get it in a heartbeat.

Holy shit @ Chapter
. No twists or anything, just pure awesome. The flight sequence was especially great from the moment the music kicked in (dat bass guitar).
I hope Phosphora shows up again. Thanatos made a reappearance, so it's not out of the question.

I really wish they would sell the OST or make it available on Club Nintendo. I'd get it in a heartbeat.

If the rest of the OST is anything like Dark pit's theme, i would buy the OST in a split second and i never gives two shits about game music.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I played a level at intensity 0 to concentrate on dialogs only (english isn't my mother tongue and sometimes I need to read the subtitles).

Basically you are invincible at this difficulty level.

It made me realize 6 years old kids could probably go through the chapters and complete this game, which -as we know- can be such a hardcore experience.

GENIUS.

People keep using the word "confident" to describe this game and I think that works incredibly well.

Controls aside (not that they don't count, but they're not part of the point I'm making here), the game never seems to even consider doing anything but diving headfirst in to what its doing. No one went "Is there too much dialogue here? Players might not be able attention to it all." And if they were, they were just told not to worry about it.

The game knows what it wants to do and does not hedge its bets.

I like the line in level 5 about handholding. Arguably the only 'help' Kid Icarus gives the player is starting the first level at 2.0. Afterwards there are no restrictions and you can play how you want. It is refreshing coming off other recent Nintendo games like Skyward Sword and Mario 3D Land. Actually, games in general.

It's also why the control issues seem so weird. Literally everything else about the game is best of breed game crafting. It's not like Lair where it's a horrible game with horrible controls, because that makes more sense, in a way.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
worst part about the game is that the bosses are chumps so I don't get to hear all the dialogue

On the other hand bosses on higher intensity ratings are too hard and you'll be too focused on them to listen to the witty banter .

Neiteio

I'm trying to foresee if this game will have an eventual backlash here at GAF. It seems like nearly every game does; hell, even MGS4 was overwhelmingly adored at launch (I still love MGS4, btw). But Uprising just feels so incredibly special. It's been awhile since I've absolutely adored a game.

worst part about the game is that the bosses are chumps so I don't get to hear all the dialogue

yeah, right?

I'm bringing up level 5 again but w/e it was great. First part of the battle was over in ~5 seconds, and I think "oh, they faked me out," and then the second part was over in ~15 seconds! that was on 8! and I'm not very good!

I'm trying to foresee if this game will have an eventual backlash here at GAF. It seems like nearly every game does; hell, even MGS4 was overwhelmingly adored at launch (I still love MGS4, btw). But Uprising just feels so incredibly special. It's been awhile since I've absolutely adored a game.

If anything a patch to add more control options will only help the game's perception. It's like how more people got into MGS3 with Subsistence.

I mean, that's the biggest flaw. And it's not as good as Sin and Punishment 2, but not many games are, and Kid Icarus has more personality and amazing music and loot. That's not really a flaw.

The swathes of historically levelheaded posters on GAF that are posting in this thread seem to indicate to me that this game will stay loved.

I have a feeling it will have some vocal detractors, but what game doesn't?

Yeah, the bosses are pretty easy. They're usually over within 20 seconds for me. I'd raise the difficulty (I'm on 4.5), but then the other parts of the level would be too hard for me. But I don't mind, it's a small complaint for such an awesome game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The swathes of historically levelheaded posters on GAF that are posting in this thread seem to indicate to me that this game will stay loved.

In other places, this game is said to have horrible, N64-like, graphics. When will they ever learn.

Oh, it will.

Good word of mouth will lead to fence-sitters buying it, who will claim the controls are completely broken, incapable of being adapted to, and it was overhyped by zealous Nintendo fanboys.

Expect kiddy complaints, as well.

I think the people that will inevitably dislike this game in the long run will be the people who just can't get passed the control scheme. Which is a shame.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

It's quite a bit like the Wii FPS scene in that once you get around the many control options and find that sweet spot the game will click. Those not prepared to put in the time to find something really good or the effort to learn will feel left behind. Another good example would be classic tank controlled RE or Monster Hunter.

Unlike those titles though this one is historically sound in all other areas with a decent story, good voice acting, really nice visuals, the best 3D on the system and an uncommonly good soundtrack.

Inevitably you will have one experience in this thread and then another in more general threads.

In two years someone will make a "worst 3DS games" thread, and people will come out of the woodwork talking about how awful KI is, how the controls are terrible and the dialog is just so campy and you will be shocked.

Heck, MGS3 3D was pretty well received in its own thread and I know it's going on a lot of people's "worst of 3DS" lists.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I think the people that will inevitably dislike this game in the long run will be the people who just can't get passed the control scheme. Which is a shame.

And now you can all relate to what I felt with PES Wii controls critic reception.

Reviewers and some gamers don't have time to identify a gem if it's hidden behind a learning curve. What's different and outside of a standard/confort zone is quickly dismissed as broken.

I love KI controls, they are a big part of what makes this game special. And to conclude with my comparison, I'm glad to see far more people get it than with PES Playmaker.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Another dark secret of the internet: A good portion of the people who will complain about KI controls will never play the game. They will just have heard that the game is hard to control and go into a thread to complain about it.

This happens with every single game.

Genuinely pretty surprised at the lack of reviews so far.

This is definitely the biggest 3DS game of the year so far, so maybe reviews like Giant Bomb and Game|Life are taking a while.

Top Bottom