• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Bullza2o

I just beat the game. BEST HANDHELD GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED NEXT TO POKEMON.

Why are there still ???'s in Viridi's and Hade's Treasure Hunt puzzles?

EDIT:

Is it possible to switch back to Viridi's setting again? I like her menu theme better

I just beat the game. BEST HANDHELD GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED NEXT TO POKEMON.

Why are there still ???'s in Viridi's and Hade's Treasure Hunt puzzles?

EDIT:

Is it possible to switch back to Viridi's setting again? I like her menu theme better

You might have missed a few hidden things. Hint: thouroughly search the even-numbered chapters.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
i don't understand the symbols/colors that show up on each stage's icon when you beat it. Sometimes it's green, sometimes it's brownish. Some of them have helmets, some question marks. What do they each mean?

i don't understand the symbols/colors that show up on each stage's icon when you beat it. Sometimes it's green, sometimes it's brownish. Some of them have helmets, some question marks. What do they each mean?

Helmet is
Three scared treasures that you press to click on or off as you retry a level
Green: Haven't found all treasure in a level
Gold: Found all treasure in a level.

Bullza2o

Green laurel: you haven't gotten all treasures/opened all doors in that chapter yet.
Gold: you have.

Helmet:
you use the special weapon you just obtained the previous chapter. You can click it so you can use your own weapon.

EDIT: Ahhh beaten...

AHHHH HADES TRIED TO DELETE MY SAVE DATA

Best villain ever

The first time I heard him say that, I kinda freaked out because I had heard the dialogue by accident and it seemed like something he would do. It's just a testament to how awesome and convincing a villain he was.

Bullza2o

The first time I heard him say that, I kinda freaked out because I had heard the dialogue by accident and it seemed like something he would do. It's just a testament to how awesome and convincing a villain he was.

You forgot the / in
btw :). Which chapter was this?

Marlowe89

Just got to Chapter
, but I refuse to play it until I unlock more stuff. I want this game to last as long as possible.

I mean, everything from the graphical quality to the characters and writing is just ridiculously top-notch. The clever and humorous script compliments a plot that doesn't take itself too seriously but is especially impressive, and it's something that feels so incredibly rare in a time when atrocious scenario writers like Motomu Toriyama and Tetsuya Nomura loom over the Japanese game industry with their "the more needlessly convoluted and dark and nonsensical the story is, the better!" brand of philosophy. I don't mean to argue that the plot is of utmost importance in a video game, but it's really nice to see someone like Sakurai do something good and refreshing with it for once. I realize that Final Fantasy or what have you is srs bsns and all (and I know I'll get shot for comparing these two) but I think we need more games with this kind of tone.

You forgot the / in
btw :). Which chapter was this?
Nice save, thanks. NeoGAF really needs a spoiler button so that I don't need to manually typs it in every time. #lazy

The dialogue occurs if you wait for about 3 or so minites on the "The End" screen (the one with the feather). It's pretty friggin' hilarious, and evem sets up for a sequel.

Just got to Chapter
but I refuse to play it until I unlock more stuff. I want this game to last as long as possible.

I mean, everything from the graphical quality to the characters and writing is just ridiculously top-notch. The clever and humorous script compliments a plot that doesn't take itself too seriously but is especially impressive, and it's something that feels so incredibly rare in a time when atrocious scenario writers like Motomu Toriyama and Tetsuya Nomura loom over the Japanese game industry with their "the more needlessly convoluted and dark and nonsensical the story is, the better!" brand of philosophy. I don't mean to argue that the plot is of utmost importance in a video game, but it's really nice to see someone like Sakurai do something good and refreshing with it for once. I realize that Final Fantasy or whatever popular Eastern franchise is srs bsns and all, but I think we need more games with this kind of tone.

Spoiler tag the Chapter #, please. Some people haven't gotten that far yet.

RagnarokX

I made this today:

uZbJX.jpg

It doesn't petrify as often as my other magnus club, and it has 29 more value, but the higher melee is worthwhile. It's extremely deadly.

Thoraxes

Just picked this up. Really fantastic, but incredibly hard to control.
Yeah. For me the first day sucked, but when I picked it up the next afternoon it just all clicked and worked perfectly for me. There's definitely a learning-curve though. Almost reminds me of SotC in that regard.

Still very much addicted to this game, though I'm prolonging my run to the final chapter. It's frustrating though when I reach a boss at a high intensity only to die multiple times, or dying right before a boss. I'm bad at balancing attacking with dodging apparently. Finally gave the multiplayer a try a bit earlier and it's chaotic fun. Can't wait to get into it a bit more.

Kard8p3

With this being the first big game in the US to use the Nintendo Network I think it's a shame that it doesn't feature communities. Here's hoping for a new Kid Icarus in the future that has more community features.

teeny

I havent dipped in to the multiplayer yet, I only just got this game yesterday and am still struggling a bit with the controls. Its not very comfortable and, basically, I dont think Im very good :p

The game oozes quality though, and it just gets better and better each chapter.

Anyway, I added myself to the FC list, but I havent added anyone yet. Im not sure how active I will be, but if you add me, then let me know.

Anyway, back to it! :D

Bullza2o

I made this today:

uZbJX.jpg

It doesn't petrify as often as my other magnus club, and it has 29 more value, but the higher melee is worthwhile. It's extremely deadly.

I really don't like the -4 overall defense, but that's just me. I used to have claws that are around 4.5/4.5 stars, but the -2 overall defense is what killed me really quickly. I disliked that because I like to melee a lot.

So anyone know what the deal with the Lancer staff is?
To explain a few days ago I went into the training room with a bunch of weapons just to see how they differed and what not, I was surprised when my 180 odd value Lancer staff dealt a surprisingly high amount of damage (it also has 2+ charge shot and 2+dash but even so).
So with the low value in mind a made a setup for light versus dark with the staff, it was solid but not as grand as I was expecting. But I gave it a second whirl yesterday and hooooly shit! the thing was a monster I tell you!
I lack the idol for the weapon that would probably answer my question so i'm just wondering if it's unique hook is surprisingly powerful charge shots and dash attacks at the expense of range and speed?

NEO0MJ

I lack the idol for the weapon that would probably answer my question so i'm just wondering if it's unique hook is surprisingly powerful charge shots and dash attacks at the expense of range and speed?
I'll paraphrase the idol:

"It charges quickly, and its shots, although slow moving, are most damaging at close range. Its melee attack is also better than most staffs."

Guess you should stick close to you opponent and focus on using charged shots.

Any word on sales yet aside from Japan?

Didn't really do well in Europe. In a few days we'll get NPD info.

Tom_Cody

So anyone know what the deal with the Lancer staff is?
To explain a few days ago I went into the training room with a bunch of weapons just to see how they differed and what not, I was surprised when my 180 odd value Lancer staff dealt a surprisingly high amount of damage (it also has 2+ charge shot and 2+dash but even so).
So with the low value in mind a made a setup for light versus dark with the staff, it was solid but not as grand as I was expecting. But I gave it a second whirl yesterday and hooooly shit! the thing was a monster I tell you!

"It charges quickly, and its shots, although slow moving, are most damaging at close range. Its melee attack is also better than most staffs."

Its damage increases as you get closer to your opponents as opposed to other staffs which increase in damage as you get further away from your opponents. For this reason it feels almost more like a blade than a staff. Also, in general its relative attack power is very high.

Ghost23

I'm thinking about buying Uprising, but I have a few questions first.

1. I'm left-handed. Do I have to buy the Dual Analog Pro, or is it playable without it? What do other left-handed players think about the controls?

2. Is there local multiplayer? If so, can you play it with only one cartridge?

NEO0MJ

1. I'm left-handed. Do I have to buy the Dual Analog Pro, or is it playable without it? What do other left-handed players think about the controls?

Lefty over here. I have the Dual Analog but ended up not using it because it was so confusing controlling pit with the right circle pad. Instead I ended up controlling Pit with the left circle pad and aiming with my thumb using the touch screen. Works well enough, and proof of that is beating plenty of levels at 8.

Its damage increases as you get closer to your opponents as opposed to other staffs which increase in damage as you get further away from your opponents. For this reason it feels almost more like a blade than a staff. Also, in general its relative attack power is very high.

Well this certainly explains some things, a close range staff wasn't what I expected, since I chose not to snipe with it and stuck to close or mid range that would explain the high damage it was dealing, I'll keep the idea of making a high value one of these staffs in mind if the opportunity arises.

Now as an aside one of my highest ranking weapons was a pair of Arlon Orbitars and they were horrible, I don't mesh well with orbitars in general but those ones, after disgracing myself with them I immediately fused them into something else, I wonder what their hook is because I wasn't seeing anything.

Vidiot

Just finished the game. Wow, I can't believe how far my expectations were surpassed by this game. Pit and the gang have shot up to the top of my list of beloved Nintendo characters. He's right up there with Mario, Link, and Samus now IMO and I really hope to see the series become another regular in the Nintendo line up. Though after everything that happened in KIU it might be pretty hard to top. :)

Razorwind

How do I not get hand cramps?

Can't go thru more than 1 chapter without wincing and giving up to protect my fragile wrist =p
Does everyone here use the default controls? Find it a bit hard to be precise with all the charge moves and evades on land...

Well this certainly explains some things, a close range staff wasn't what I expected, since I chose not to snipe with it and stuck to close or mid range that would explain the high damage it was dealing, I'll keep the idea of making a high value one of these staffs in mind if the opportunity arises.

Now as an aside one of my highest ranking weapons was a pair of Arlon Orbitars and they were horrible, I don't mesh well with orbitars in general but those ones, after disgracing myself with them I immediately fused them into something else, I wonder what their hook is because I wasn't seeing anything.
I have some pretty funky 340
Jetstream
Orbitars. Useless in multi but they are pretty great in SP if there are not a lot of confined spaces. 9'd a couple of levels with them.

NEO0MJ

According to the idol their main defining feature is their range, as they hit further than any other orbitars, which is 42m.

Vidiot

I played sitting on the couch, leaning forward while resting the 3DS on my knee. 3D at Max with no problems and I just did about 4 chapters with no discomfort. Basically find a comfortable position that works for you.

Roto13

How do I not get hand cramps?

Can't go thru more than 1 chapter without wincing and giving up to protect my fragile wrist =p
Does everyone here use the default controls? Find it a bit hard to be precise with all the charge moves and evades on land...

Well there's the stand, obviously. If you have a Circle Pad Pro, that helps a lot, even if you're right handed.

Boney

Banned
I made this today:

uZbJX.jpg

With the short range Magnus Club has, you're just asking to be one shotted before you can come close.

I have some pretty funky 340
Jetstream
Orbitars. Useless in multi but they are pretty great in SP if there are not a lot of confined spaces. 9'd a couple of levels with them.
I have some solid boom orbitars, the same situation applies that I didn't find them so great in multiplayer but decent in single player.
It was playing a level on intensity 9 that had me discard those arlon orbitars, they were pretty good for the flight section but on ground was another story entirely, no amount of increased defence could save me from my inability to wield them.

According to the idol their main defining feature is their range, as they hit further than any other orbitars, which is 42m.

This could explain the lack of impact they had as to counter their range, granted I was on intensity 9 at the time but damn was I underwhelmed regardless. But yeah I guess I was using them wrong, I didn't really get much range usage out of them on the ground.

SmithnCo

With the short range Magnus Club has, you're just asking to be one shotted before you can come close.

If he uses invisibility/armor he could definitely get kills in, but the defense -4 does really hinder it IMO.

The melee is pretty godly though, I have one with four stars and it's a monster, so six stars is nice. With that kind of melee petrification is almost unnecessary.

Boogiepop

2. Is there local multiplayer? If so, can you play it with only one cartridge?
I've been doing great as a lefty just using the buttons for movement plus the stylus. I've actually cleared over half the game on the highest difficulty already.

Top Bottom