• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Korosenai

ASDF

Let's try this again.

I'm looking for a list of all of the weapons you need to unlock on the treasure grid and can't find/fuse until you've fulfilled the requirements. The GameFAQs list is horrible at differentiating between weapon unlocks and just weapons you're rewarded with. I think every other guide on the goddamn internet just copies and pastes the information from the cheat section on GameFAQs because they're all useless.

Does anyone have an actual accurate list of weapons you need to unlock?

Like this?

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/kid-icarus-uprising-weapons-unlock-guide.250135886/

Roto13

That's the site I was actually trying to find for you. I remember posting it before, but I couldn't find it again. Glad you found it though because its really awesome.

It is so awesome. I just checked off everything I have finished and now it's incredibly useful. There couldn't possibly be a better site for this purpose. :p

I've gotta question, I haven't picked up a 3DS yet but when I do I'm definitely picking this up. Since I haven't got the 3DS yet I haven't kept up with how well this has been doing. Has it sold well enough for maybe a sequel on the 3DS or even a Wii U game?

I've gotta question, I haven't picked up a 3DS yet but when I do I'm definitely picking this up. Since I haven't got the 3DS yet I haven't kept up with how well this has been doing. Has it sold well enough for maybe a sequel on the 3DS or even a Wii U game?

It sold well, but Sakurai said no sequel :'(

Korosenai

It sold well, but Sakurai said no sequel :'(

What Scrafty said.

Sold very well for a 3ds game, but Sakurai said no to a sequel.

But honestly, that's ok, because there is a lot of content in this game and personally i've put in 90 hours and i'm still not bored with it.

For the 3ds, the top games you want right out off the bat are Super Mario 3D Land (great singleplayer), Kid Icarus: Uprising (great singeplayer + addictive multiplayer), and Pushmo (overall great game, and probably the best e-shop game).

Here are my reccomendations for other 3DS games:

Cave Story 3D
It's on the difficult side, but it has tons of content, great replayability, a subtle, yet touching story, multiple story branches, loads of weapons and upgrades, memorablr bosses and great gameplay. Plus, the entire game was built pretty much from the ground up by one guy, so I'd like to get as many other people to support him as I can.

Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater
I can't say anything about this game that hasn't been better said elsewhere. Absolutely bloody brilliant game and a must-buy if you can get your mits on a Circle Pad Pro.

Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
Even if you're new to the fighting game world; I'd reccomend checking this one out. A simple, user-friendly interface combined with colourful characters and great multiplayers makes this a great game.

Korosenai

We need to play some street fighter matches sometime, Scrafty.

And also, whats the difference between cave story 3d (the one you can buy in stores) and the one on the e-shop?

We need to play some street fighter matches sometime, Scrafty.

And also, whats the difference between cave story 3d (the one you can buy in stores) and the one on the e-shop?

Cave Story 3D has beautiful graphics and backgrounds with the option of using the original sprites if that's your cup of tea, 3D graphics (duh), a slightly better translation, 2 bonus areas, a Boss Rush mode, and an amazing, orcheastrated soundtrack.

The eShop version is about 3x cheaper, has slightly worse collision detection, fewer health and ammo upgrades (which in turn makes the game more difficult no matter what difficulty you're playing on), Curly Brace mode (which is just a reskinned version of the story with slightly different dialogue from your distaff counterpart), and the original backgrounds and soundtrack.

I have both of them; and I highly reccomend you buy the 3D version not only because of the improved graphics and sound but because it didn't sell nearly as well as it should (why'd they release it the same week as MW3? T_T) and deserves some extra love.

The choice is up to you, though.

Lies! or at least Half Truth!

Cave-Story-3D-2D-sprites.jpg

^Those are the original character sprites from Cave Story. I told no lie, sillypants.

I have to agree with him on that one. None of those games are better on 3DS than they are on their original platforms.

Cave Story is, in my opinion. I have the original freeware version, the WiiWare port, the eShop port and the 3D edition, plus I've played a good chunk of Cave Story+ on Steam, and my opinion hasn't changed. Nothing beats that fantastic orchestrated music or stunning backgrounds, plus it's not missing anything important (the only thing that I can think of is the Wind Fortress, but that was just cruel).

Snake Eater 3D shows off the graphical capabilities of the 3DS, plus it's a bigger and more polished game than the recent HD and upcoming Vita ports. I still prefer MGS3 for the PS3, but that may not be available for some people.

SSFIV3D is the perfect jumping-on point for newcomers to the series. It has a user-friendly interface, a "lite" control scheme for those who haven't mastered the art of the Hadoken, and a neat StreetPass minigame. There's also the added benefit of thr "Dynamic" mode which, although admittedly a gimmick, impressively showcases the 3D effect.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
lol, you are wrong.

you do know that Cave Story + is coming to e-shop, right?

Why would you get Cave Story 3D instead? The only thing it has that Cave Story + doesn't is shitty graphics. Even the music remixes were added to Cave Story +

Tyeforce

you do know that Cave Story + is coming to e-shop, right?

Why would you get Cave Story 3D instead? The only thing it has that Cave Story + doesn't is shitty graphics. Even the music remixes were added to Cave Story +
The 3DS eShop version of Cave Story+ won't have the new music, and it's going to have the original PC/DSiWare graphics, not the updated WiiWare/+ graphics. Aside from that, we don't know what kind of bonus content the eShop Cave Store+ will have. It's not going to be the same as the Mac App Store/Steam release.

Cave Story 3D doesn't have as much content as the PC Cave Story+ does, no, but it does have brand new 3D graphics built from the ground up. You may see the new 3D models as shitty, but I see them as an interesting and beautiful new take on the world of Cave Story, one that feels much more alive and "cave"-like. That's not to say that I think that the style of Cave Story 3D is superior to the original (or updated) sprite art, but I think it's just as great, albeit in a different way. I greatly appreciate the effort that was put into transforming the 2D world of Cave Story into 3D (and I don't mind paying full price to support Nicalis and Pixel's efforts). The transition to 3D was just about perfect in my opinion, and it's very interesting to see how objects and environments were translated into 3D.

^This man is 100% correct. Thank you, good sir.

Anyways, I'd reccomend anyone who has never played a Cave Story game before to pony up an extra few bucks for the 3D Edition, as it's a fantastic jumping-on point with its slightly lower difficulty and better game mechanics. It's truly one of the 3DS's best.

Korosenai

Some excerpts from the newest Nintendo Power Masahiro Sakurai interview

The Controls

NP: "Some people have expressed frustration with the game's controls. Was that a concern during the game's development, and why did you ultimately settle on that particular control scheme?"

MS: "I believe that once players get used to it, this control scheme allows for faster targeting and camera alignment that could be achieved with any external device.

Recently, most games - but particularly first-person shooters - have all played the same, and I think they feel a little stale because of it. When games have massive production values but little innovation, it feels like you're always driving the same car, just with a different interior and on a different track.

I wonder if it just isn't possible to challenge the status quo with new ideas anymore. Personally I believe that gamers are smarter than that, and more adaptable. Attempting new challenges was a theme of this project, and questioning conventional control schemes was a part of that."

The Circle Pad Pro

NP: "The Circle Pad pro was introduced well into the game's development, but did you consider using it for any purposes other than left-handed controls (aiming the reticle, for example, as in other third-person shooters)?

MS: "My team learned about the Circle Pad Pro only when it was officially announced to the public. That barely gave us enough time to implement the left-handed control scheme. Regardless, the game is already using the full power of the N3DS, and there aren't any system resources left over to enable the use of a second analog stick. The release of the Circle Pad Pro has made the question of how to handle game controls a complicated one."

The Stand

NP: "Was including the stand with Kid Icarus: Uprising always part of the plan or was it a response to the feedback you received from early demos?"

MS: "When the N3DS hardware was still in development, we suggested that Nintendo make the charging cradle be usable as a stand. Nintendo decided against that, so even before Kid Icarus: Uprising was in development, we suggested they made a stand that could be used for playing any game, in addition to our own. We kept asking throughout the development process, and Nintendo was kind enough to design one for us."

Roto13

Snake Eater 3D shows off the graphical capabilities of the 3DS, plus it's a bigger and more polished game than the recent HD and upcoming Vita ports. I still prefer MGS3 for the PS3, but that may not be available for some people.
What?

Ok, it has a new control scheme, and it moves the kerotans around (and replaces them with Yoshis) but bigger? Even ignoring the fact that the HD version comes with two other games for the same price, not even counting MG 1 and 2, just the MGS3 portion of it has the same amount of content. And, holy crap, more polished? The framerate is shitty and the controls lag and the low resolution make distant enemies impossible to hit.

If you somehow only have a 3DS, it'll have to do, but if you have any other non-Wii platform you have a better way to play MGS3.

What?

Ok, it has a new control scheme, and it moves the kerotans around (and replaces them with Yoshis) but bigger? Even ignoring the fact that the HD version comes with two other games for the same price, not even counting MG 1 and 2, just the MGS3 portion of it has the same amount of content. And, holy crap, more polished? The framerate is shitty and the controls lag and the low resolution make distant enemies impossible to hit.

If you somehow only have a 3DS, it'll have to do, but if you have any other non-Wii platform you have a better way to play MGS3.

I don't know which game you were playing, because it was a silky smooth experience for me. I do not own the HD remakes as they're rather hard to find in my area and I'm kind of strapped for cash, but from what I've seen there's nothing extra added to the ports of MGS2, 3 or Peace Walker other than a shiny coat of paint. The 3DS at least has nice 3D visuals and more customizable camo, plus the portability is a boon at certain points in the game (*cough cough* The End).

Plus, I was giving advice on good 3DS games. MGS3D is a good 3DS game; hence the reccomendation. I agree that there may be some better ways to play MGS3, and that the MGSHD pack has more value, but since the poster asked for reccomendations on 3DS games and I have no way of knowing what console(s) they have.

If you wish to further discuss this, please do it via PM so we can refrain from further derailing the thread.

Fabrik

Banned
Recently, most games - but particularly first-person shooters - have all played the same, and I think they feel a little stale because of it. When games have massive production values but little innovation, it feels like you're always driving the same car, just with a different interior and on a different track.
I wonder if it just isn't possible to challenge the status quo with new ideas anymore.

Listen to master Sakurai.

Personally I believe that gamers are smarter than that, and more adaptable.

Apparently not lol.

Roto13

I don't know which game you were playing, because it was a silky smooth experience for me.

I'm going to ignore the rest of your post because you seem to get why the HD collection makes more sense than the 3DS version of Snake Eater if you have a PS3, 360, or Vita, but this needs attention because it is completely baffling to me.

What is your definition of "smooth" exactly? Because I don't know how you can play this game and watch its cutscenes or fight most of the bosses and call it "smooth" unless you're using a very different definition from mine.

I'm going to ignore the rest of your post because you seem to get why the HD collection makes more sense than the 3DS version of Snake Eater if you have a PS3, 360, or Vita, but this needs attention because it is completely baffling to me.

What is your definition of "smooth" exactly? Because I don't know how you can play this game and watch its cutscenes or fight most of the bosses and call it "smooth" unless you're using a very different definition from mine.

Maybe I'm just unobservant, my eyes work differently than yours or whatever, but I encountered framerate issues maybe twice in the entire game (in the fight with the Fury and one of Volgin's cutscenes) and the CPP that I was using never once gave me issues. The draw distance is a bit low, yeah, but if that's the price to pay for a pretty darn sweet handheld port of one of my favourite games then so be it.

Sagitario

That laser staff does have good stats, but hold out until you can get one with at least 4 or 5 stars range. Those are also good arlon orbiters, so if i was you id keep those for now.

Thanks. I have been switching between Arlon Orbitars, Beam Claws and Wolf Claws and as much as I like the Beam Claws, its range is pretty weak :(

A few questions:

Magnus Club 1:
MWcsN.jpg

Magnus Club 2:
bcHU7.jpg

How are these Magnus Clubs and is it worth fusing (and losing) my Beam Claw for it?

This Laser Staff is really tempting, but I would have to give up both my most used [and powerful] weapons:
mzlpL.jpg

One last question:
JQjCn.jpg

I tried this club and there is [almost] no waiting time for charged shots. Is it because of the club or is it because of the Speed+3 attribute?

Wichu

I'm currently at
chapter 17
, and I'm really enjoying the ride so far. I keep dying on the harder difficulties; it's annoying that you're forced to restart the chapter if you want to keep going at that difficulty though.

Here's the weapon I'm currently using (bought it in the shop as it was on sale):
Samurai Blade
3.5 star ranged
0 star melee
Overall defense +5
Health +5
Running speed +2
Power attack +1
The defensive boosts really help, but I feel that it's a bit weak damage-wise. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to fuse it with that keeps the boosts and increases the power...

I'm thinking of trying out a few other weapons I've acquired:
Jetstream Orbitars
3.5 star ranged
0 star melee (both coincidentally the same as the Samurai Blade)
Knockback defense +1
Poison +2
Speed +4
Evasion +2
Forward dash charged shot +4
Dash continuous fire +3
The extra attack power from the abilities should help balance out the weak attack attributes. Seems more of a speedy offensive weapon.

Great Reaper Palm
5 star ranged
1 star melee
Overall defense +1
Weakening +4
Shot range +1
Speed +3
Nice ranged attack here; the abilities are a bit meh though.

Orb Staff
4.5 star ranged
5 star melee
Weakening +1
Standing charged shot +1
Melee combo +1
Melee dash attack +1
In-peril autododge +1
Great attack attributes, but weak abilities.

Is it better to have more attack power or stronger attributes, in general?

I regret fusing some weapons I had earlier that I enjoyed using - an Earthmaul Club (charge-up time was terrible, but the charged shots were amazing) and some Brawler Claws (ridiculously agile, if a bit lacking in the range department). Gotta keep playing levels to get more weapons :)

Korosenai

@wichu - wait til you play chapter 18. Your mind will be blown. And those stats for the great reaper palm look good, but if i was you, id stick with the samurai blade for now. Its just a really good weapon.

And when it comes to stars and attributes, it really depends. Some weapons are good without attributes and just purely six star range/melee, and other weapons benefit greatly with attributes.

A weapon that comes to mind for me is the magnus club. Its very versatile when it comes to stars and attributes. My magnus club doesnt have a single good attribute, but it has six stars range/melee and is beast. If it were to have petrification +2 or +3, it would be just as good, but it probably wouldnt be maxed out in stars.

In the end it just comes down to finding your favorite weapon, and then try to find a sweet spot with it where it has 1 or 2 good attributes, a good amount of star in either ranged or melee depending on the weapon, and then a good set of powers that complement it.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Thanks. Kind of tempting too.

Yeah... I am leaning towards it.

Any more opinions?

I personally feel if you're going to get a Laser Staff, your best bet is to get a good one. The stats on the one you have there aren only so-so for a staff and has it's priority on Melee as opposed to Ranged. Try building one with exceptional focus on the Ranged stat if you want a good staff. If you want an all-around one, then make sure that Range still takes priority.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I cant play tonight, but i should be able to either tomorrow or sunday.

And then seriously, we need to plan out sometime to play Reach lol

Sounds good.

And ergh, yea I know! See, the day I said I would be on for Reach I ended up leaving my 360 on for most of the day while I was out.
I did end up actually playing some btb yesterday for a good while tho, which is pretty rare for me lately.

I'd like to get in on the action but alas, I do not own a 360.

I do want to get in some action before I go on vacation next week, though. I'll try to get on tommorow for some FFA, and I'm still holding out on your SSFIV challenge, Nub.

Korosenai

Sounds good.

And ergh, yea I know! See, the day I said I would be on for Reach I ended up leaving my 360 on for most of the day while I was out.
I did end up actually playing some btb yesterday for a good while tho, which is pretty rare for me lately.
If we can ever get some games in lets play doubles. One of the easiest playlists in the game. Ill surprised if we even lose a match lol.
I'd like to get in on the action but alas, I do not own a 360.

I do want to get in some action before I go on vacation next week, though. I'll try to get on tommorow for some FFA, and I'm still holding out on your SSFIV challenge, Nub.
We will try to get some ffa matches in.

And also, be warned.... I am one of the best street fighter 3ds players in the world

im actually terrible and spam the touchscreen moves

Apparently the latest issue of Nintendo Power includes an interview with Sakurai. Here's what he said about offering hearts to the goddess

NP: Why did you include the option to offer hearts to Palutena? Do you really not receive a reward for giving her hearts?

Sakurai: I added that feature when I got the sense that players were feeling more affection toward the characters than what I, as the creator, had anticipated. I've been observing how players react to the feature, and despite being told they won't get anything for it, people seem to enjoy offering lots of hearts to Palutena. That's true of myself, too. When I got the million-heart reward for clearing every stage on intensity 9.0, I gave them all to Viridi. Of course, I knew that there wasn't any point to it, but it was still kind of satisfying.

PK Gaming

Apparently the latest issue of Nintendo Power includes an interview with Sakurai. Here's what he said about offering hearts to the goddess

Interesting. I'm laughing at the guys who donated 1 million+ hearts in the hopes of unlocking. Your avatar cannot have been more fitting hahaha.

Anth0ny

I've had this game since launch, and I finally finished it yesterday night.

Fucking awesome game. Really the complete package. Great characters, fun gameplay, memorable writing, a fantastic soundtrack... I really hope Sakurai is just doing his usual schtick (Melee is the final Smash Bros! Okay, Brawl is the final Smash Bros!) when he says he's not going to return to the world of Kid Icarus, because I want more.

Best 3DS game and GOTY so far.

Wow, there really is no reason to donate...I still like to donate a bit here and there.

Also, Sakurai confirmed as a devotee to Viridi.

I've had this game since launch, and I finally finished it yesterday night.

Fucking awesome game. Really the complete package. Great characters, fun gameplay, memorable writing, a fantastic soundtrack... I really hope Sakurai is just doing his usual schtick (Melee is the final Smash Bros! Okay, Brawl is the final Smash Bros!) when he says he's not going to return to the world of Kid Icarus, because I want more.

Best 3DS game and GOTY so far.
IMO, a game done well is best served by a long break. A person as talented as Sakurai could rejuvenate a lot of franchises - let him spread the love and enjoy some diversity, I say. He'll do better work.

Top Bottom