• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

SmithnCo

I honestly don't find the controls that bad. It's actually kinda neat how they managed to make it work with just the touch screen for aim and camera.

But who knows, I might change my tune if I get to harder difficulties. :p

branny

I'm having more problem with dodging than aiming, especially in air sections. It would've been nice if I could assign dodge to a button like in Sin and Punishment.
Dodging in the air sections is done by pressing left then right or whatever direction. You go opposite of the direction you want to dodge and then quickly move the way you actually want to go. Think of it like a double tap to dash, only one of the taps is in the opposite direction. This works with face button aiming, as well (pressing A then Y will make you dodge left, for example). You need around a second or two to recharge before you are able to dodge again. There is no onscreen indicator that lets you know when you can dodge again.

It's best not to rely on it. Try coaxing enemy bullets toward you and simply moving out of the way at the last second. Most home into you, so you don't want to avoid them too early.

Poyunch

So I didn't get any cool cards. :(
X1w2w.jpg

Dammit GAF.

I'm this close to ignoring my work and going out and buying this tomorrow. You all make this game sound so good and packed with content.

How's the difficulty?

Completely adjustable. Difficulty (both not enough and too much of it) will never be an issue for this game.

Vidiot

The controls aren't perfect.....but honestly after hearing how bad they were from everyone for months I was expecting MUCH worse. I think I've got a nice handle on them and I've only done the first 2 chapters. I even moved the difficulty up to 4 on the second chapter.

Love Palutena. She HAS to be in Smash Brothers now!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
::DON'T MISS THIS::

PRESS X during ground sessions = game become a FPS!

NO SINGLE REVIEWER, nor anyone here (?), has talked about this FPS mode.

TRY IT. NOW.

Teknoman

Dammit GAF.

I'm this close to ignoring my work and going out and buying this tomorrow. You all make this game sound so good and packed with content.

How's the difficulty?

Adjustable depending on how much money you bet. On a scale of 1-10, it starts to get pretty challenging around 6-7.

Bullza2o

TRY IT. NOW.
I tried FPS mode for 2 seconds when Palutena told me to 'turn left.' I quickly switched back to normal mode before the first fight. Not my type.

marc^o^

I tried FPS mode for 2 seconds when Palutena told me to 'turn left.' I quickly switched back to normal mode before the first fight. Not my type.

To me it completely solves the control issue one may have dealing with the camera: Kid Icarus then controls like any shooter, with a stylus instead of a mouse :)

Bullza2o

To me it completely solves the control issue one may have dealing with the camera: Kid Icarus then controls like any shooter, with a stylus instead of a mouse :)
Well there we go! Sakurai is such a genius and a great dev! Always thinking about accessibility.

branny

I am in love with how much character this game has, right down to its weapons. There's so much personality and individuality. It's like Monster Hunter on crack.

And how can anyone not get excited when they see a list like this on some random drop:

Weakening +1
Shot cancellation +1
Speed +3
Melee combo +2
In-peril autododge +1
Status resistance -1

There are already so many kinds of weapons within each individual class. They just had to top it off with randomized stats that are actually meaningful in some way or another AHhhhHHH loot whore

KevinCow

Banned
As far as the controls go, I've pretty much gotten used to the stylus aiming.

The problem I'm having now is learning to finesse the circle pad to always do what I want. You've got walk, run, and dodge all mapped to it based on how you move it, with run and dodge being limited. I seem to be running and dodging all over the place, until I actually need to dodge. And I couldn't do a dodge in the air on cue to save my life.

As far as the 3D goes, it looks fantastic. Pretty much the best use of 3D yet. This is a great looking game - and I'm not even going to append the typical "for a 3DS game" on there, this is just straight up a great looking game - and it looks even better in 3D

As far as difficulty goes, it's as difficult as you want it to be. It seems to auto adjust based on your performance, too. It was slowly cranking me up the scale, then I had a lot of trouble on a mission at 4.8 or something, and it decided to keep going up to 5.3 or something, and I cranked that shit back down to 4.0. That seems good for now.

But at the end of the day, my gun has a pirate hat, and I think that's truly what matters most.

Croc

Banned

TRY IT. NOW.

I'm not 100% certain but I think that is only with certain weapons, one of which I think is staffs.

Spike

Guys, I just got the game. How do you get the weapon from Spotpass? Is it sent throughout the day, or is it a one shot and if I miss it I lose out?

There are already so many kinds of weapons within each individual class. They just had to top it off with randomized stats that are actually meaningful in some way or another AHhhhHHH loot whore
I'm right with you on those points, haha.
I have yet to see a decent Fusion opportunity! it usually eliminates the stats I liked on the originals! arghhhhhhhhh

marc^o^

I'm not 100% certain but I think that is only with certain weapons, one of which I think is staffs.

Nope, it works all the time. When you use a bow though, you can even enter in a sniper view: double tap on the touchscreen and hold the stylus on the screen after the second tap. ZOOM MODE :)

There would not have been control issue talks, had FPS view been the default setting. People just don't know it exists.

gloone

Nope, it works all the time. When you use a bow though, you can even enter in a sniper view: double tap on the touchscreen and hold the stylus on the screen after the second tap. ZOOM MODE :)

There would not have been control issue talks, had FPS view been the default setting. People just don't know it exists.

Do you magically get a different hardware setup or access to the second analog stick when you play FPS view?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Not it doesn't, because there's still no bounding box. It plays exactly like it does normally, only with a camera perspective switch.

gloone

Where have you been the last few weeks?

Not in here. I saw no need to read about the game before I actually played it.

I just visited the official page and saw that it had cpp support and watched a trailer and then h pre-ordered the game.

branny

The interesting thing about using the face buttons to move Pit is that you will not accidentally do anything. Some people are complaining about an accidental flick for his dashing with the circle pad, but dashing is very deliberate with the face buttons.

I tried using the circle pad for movement and the face buttons for aiming (reverse of what I'm using now), but I didn't like that scheme at all. I still don't like the touchscreen aiming scheme, either, though I didn't bother calibrating it or anything.

I much prefer having both hands on my 3DS. It's so convenient, too. Like, for selecting power ups. The only thing you can't do too well with that scheme is sniping (as holding up on the dpad while moving the circle pad requires...talent), but you can use your right thumb on the touchscreen for those moments. As marc^o^ said, you can also do a double tap hold on the touchscreen to enter sniping mode, but I the dpad method seems more reliable. It's nice there are multiple ways available to access things.

There is definitely a learning curve. When I started playing, each control scheme felt doable with a couple being slightly more appealing. Now I can't see myself using other schemes because it feels weird.

hatchx

Banned
Not in here. I saw no need to read about the game before I actually played it.

I just visited the official page and saw that it had cpp support and watched a trailer and then h pre-ordered the game.

Well I'm sorry to hear you aren't enjoying the game. I absolutely love it.

I will note, I use a 3DS grip to begin with for my big hands, and I've noticed it really helps with this game. I also use my bamboo tablet stylus for extended play. The camera and controls work fine, it's holding such a thing device and a thing pen that stressed out my hand.

gloone

Well I'm sorry to hear you aren't enjoying the game. I absolutely love it.

I will note, I use a 3DS grip to begin with for my big hands, and I've noticed it really helps with this game. I also use my bamboo tablet stylus for extended play. The camera and controls work fine, it's holding such a thing device and a thing pen that stressed out my hand.

As I said earlier, I have no problems at all with using the analog stick to control Pit and the touchscreen to aim. The problem comes when I have to press a button at the same time to shoot. I can do that for a couple of minutes but then my hands hurt. I tried using pretty much every button on the 3ds for shooting but nothing feels right.

marc^o^

Not it doesn't, because there's still no bounding box. It plays exactly like it does normally, only with a camera perspective switch.
Most of the action takes place in small area limits, if not in corridors, so it's still feel like it. The perspective switch drastically reduces the need to adjust the camera, and it feels more natural to so, don't you think?

gloone

It's one of the most frustrating gaming moments I've ever had, and I've played video games since the mid 80s.

I want to play the game but I can't. Even though I spent a shitload of money on a 3DS, a cpp and the game. :(

Boogiepop

It would seem weapon types are important. I died for the first time fighting the Great Reaper... and then died three more times on him. I was using an arm and I just didn't seem to be hitting him at all. Changed over to a blade and yeah, it would seem I wasn't hitting him, as he went down pretty damn quick and easy after I did that.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It's one of the most frustrating gaming moments I've ever had, and I've played video games since the mid 80s.

I want to play the game but I can't. Even though I spent a shitload of money on a 3DS, a cpp and the game. :(

Suck it up. You get used to it.

Mit-

So, has anything new really been incorporated for the launch of "Nintendo Network"? I noticed it was on the boxes for the game at work a couple days ago. Any kind of new incorporation with your actual 3DS account, or just the same old Nintendo online experience?

Chesskid1

Banned

not to mention if you just want to casually play it, you can't. you'll have to setup your stand and a table/chair, which is the opposite of what you want to do with a handheld. (knew that going in but yeah)

i'm def going to put more time into the controls, but i know how you feel.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, it definitely takes a little more concentration to play -- it doesn't come as naturally and thoughtlessly as most games. But I am really enjoying it. The music, the dialogue, the amazing graphics... i'm glad this game exists, even if it had to make some compromises to be realized on a handheld.

Mit-

I loved using the touch screen to aim in DS games like Metroid Prime Hunters and Dementium. Felt it to be more accurate than a computer mouse even.

I either played with one knee raised up in front of me on a large seat like a couch. When sitting up in a chair, I'd hunch over and raise my right knee a bit to set the DS on. My left hand could rest on my left knee, right hand rest on my right knee.

Not the most comfortable but I never found myself seriously complaining about it, or even aware of any comfort issues while playing.

The stand seems like it'd be awkward to use, but I haven't tried it yet.

wsippel

Banned
Played for a few hours, really great game. Looks nice, great soundtrack, well written, good voice work, great characters (<3 Palutena), tons of content, loot, and surprisingly enough, I have absolutely no problems with the controls. Only had to tweak the speed and inertia a little, but they felt fine and natural after just a few minutes.

bluemax

Banned
I honestly don't find the controls that bad. It's actually kinda neat how they managed to make it work with just the touch screen for aim and camera.

But who knows, I might change my tune if I get to harder difficulties. :p

The ground controls are so bad. The camera just angers me.

The flying controls are fine, if not fitting for a portable game, but the ground controls are just shit.

And no, playing in FPS mode did not help.

gloone

My main annoyance is of course that there's no reason for the controls to be like this.

If Nintendo never released the cpp or the game never claimed to support it I would just "suck it up" or never even bother to buy the game in the first place.

I spend 4 hours every day on a train and that's where I usually play my 3ds. So when I first opened up my copy on the train on my way home from work today i got really annoyed but I decided to give the game another chance when I got home.

I can get the game to somewhat work and avoid the wrist pain if I rest the 3ds on my lap but then my eyes have a hard time focusing on the 3d effects instead.

Top Bottom