• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

JKTrix

Got this yesterday. I'm another one of those who didn't really care about the franchise or the character, but am really digging this one. Only played a couple of rounds of Light vs Dark but it was really fun, no problems on my relatively slow internet connection.

And the loot. Oh god the loot.

Added myself to that list, but haven't added anyone else yet. Will do a little later.

Okay, just beat Chapter 9...
Fake-out credits were AWESOME!
Hades is WONDERFUL! He sounds like Tim Curry voiced him. He probably didn't but the voice is similar enough to make me feel all fuzzy inside (every villain should be voiced by Tim Curry))

I guess the real game begins now. After 7 hours of Tutorials
:D

This game. THIS! GAME!!!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Apologies if this question has already been answered, but I don't see a clear answer on this anywhere. I'm left-handed, and I really want to play Kid Icarus. Will I be able to just play it, or do I need to contort myself/use the Circle Pad Pro?

I'm left handed without a CC Pro and I'm doing just fine (single player). I can play most of the first 10 levels on intensity 7 or sometimes higher. I'm using the default control scheme, left thumb on slide pad, left index on L (attack), right hand on stylus, align camera set to up on D-pad, abilities for ground battle set to down on D-pad. I also have turned the sensitivity all the way up on horizontal, vertical, and stooping speed for the reticle.

I will add that the stand helps a TON for me. With it, my hands don't cramp as much, I can still play in 3D, and I have better control of aiming and movement with my character. When I hold the 3DS myself, I have trouble viewing in 3D and also the way my hand has to cramp the system makes it more difficult to get on top of aiming and moving.

Some earlier impressions of mine for controls:

Skiesofwonder said:
Quick Control Impressions (from a Lefty):

Like I have stated before, I don't have a CC Pro. So I'm playing with my right hand aiming and my left on the circle pad (I tried out the face buttons for movement.... yeah not too good). But I'm actually surprised at how accurate I still am with the right hand holding the stylus. Maybe it's because it only requires small movements, but it has worked pretty well so far. In fact, I would probably say that in the air I would stick with the current control scheme even if I had a CC Pro. I have trouble grasping movement with my right hand, so while I'm not as accurate with my right for aiming, I would be able to move a lot better which would even everything out (or maybe even give me an advantage).

As for on foot controls, things get tougher. I'm still accurate with my right, but I have trouble precisely turning around and controlling the camera. Though, interestingly, I tried out the face buttons for ground control with the stylus in my left, and I STILL had problems with the set-up. Maybe it was because of the cumbersome movement that is mapped to the face buttons, but I still couldn't get a grip on controlling the camera. So it makes me wonder, would my experience be any better with a CC Pro? Over time, probably. But I do think that us lefties can fully enjoy the experience without the add-on (considering most of us have come to terms with using the left hand for movement, and the right for camera control). So that is a good signs of things to come.

But yes, it is completely playable without the CC Pro for Lefties. Honestly, once you get the hang of it, Uprising doesn't require much more coordination for your right hand then say a right analog stick does for moving the camera.

Wizpig

Circle Pad Pro, i hate you! playing some Awesome Icarus right now, but the system becomes heavy and huge... back in the RE:velations box you go, useless franken-junk!

ps. happy bday, 3DS. <3

Veal

Circle Pad Pro, i hate you! playing some Awesome Icarus right now, but the system becomes heavy and huge... back in the RE:velations box you go, useless franken-junk!

ps. happy bday, 3DS. <3

I'm having the complete opposite effect with the CPP. I have a place to rest my right hand a little and being able to use the ZL trigger is vastly superior to using the small L button on the 3DS. Also chapter 5:
This is the closest we're gonna get to Killer 7 on a portable huh? LOVE the visual design of this stage so much!

Whoa, talk about being an asshole!
Chapter 10 spoilers:
Did Hades really just say that he killed a little girl's parents by driving recklessly?! And then bringing them back as zombies?!
Holy fuck, man! For a Nintendo game...that's pretty harsh.

jonno394

Quick spotpass question, I didn't receive a weapon yesterday and haven't yet today, does the game need to be turned on and then the console put in to sleep mode??

Quick spotpass question, I didn't receive a weapon yesterday and haven't yet today, does the game need to be turned on and then the console put in to sleep mode??

Nope, you just have to turn the SpotPass option on, but leave your system in sleep mode (don't turn it off completely).
Put it in the cradle overnight. I received my weapon very late today (as opposed to yesterday where I got it over night).

Try leaving your 3DS in sleep mode while not bein in any game or application for an hour or two.
This might get you your weapon of the day.

Also,
Hades
is easily my most favorite character now in the whole game.

jonno394

Did you turn on spotpass in your options in Kid Icarus?

Nope, you just have to turn the SpotPass option on, but leave your system in sleep mode (don't turn it off completely).
Put it in the cradle overnight. I received my weapon very late today (as opposed to yesterday where I got it over night).

Try leaving your 3DS in sleep mode while not bein in any game or application for an hour or two.
This might get you your weapon of the day.

Yeah I received one on the first day and it's been in sleep mode for the last 3 hours iirc i'll just keep waiting :)

You have to enable spotpass in KI options, its not on by default. Game doesnt even need to be im system, just system in sleep mode.

tkscz

Ok, got the game yesterday, and have been playing it with the thumb strap. For me, it makes the game's controls much better.

I know Nintendo makes incredible games, but for them to knock it out the park like this on a IP revival. I'm very impressed, kudos to them. I'm loving the game, and I don't even think I want/need a CPP for this, the stylus aiming is the bomb.

jonno394

European charts (UK definitely) start coming out tomorrow, what are peoples expectations for this? I'm hoping for a top 5 placement at least.

Datschge

really surprised the reception this game is getting, had a feeling it'd be panned bad for some reason
Well, at least half the talk in reviews and on forums IS about the controls. It's just the longer people play with those controls the less negative the general sentiment seems to be about it.

Just had a really intense multiplayer round in which I became Pit at the same time our opponent became Dark Pit. Crazy game of cat and mouse ensued and then I got caught in a trap when both of our life bars were pretty much 0. =(

At the beginning I was pretty disappointed with the game. GAF's reaction sounded like it is the best game on 3DS. It did not feel like it. I invested more time with it because I can not believe that the game is that bad. Especially since people wanted a in-house game of my favorite Nintendo Franchise Star Fox after playing KI:U. Lucky for me I did not stop playing yesterday. Slowly I mastered the control. Slowly I found out the true potential of the game.
The presentation is top notch, the dialogues are extremely funny. Unfortunately they occurred during a bunch of enemies attacking you, so as a person who English is his second language, it is really frustrating to follow. (And the translation is bad.) The enemy design is great and the boss fight too. Now I'm fighting through 4.5 insanity and it's amazing. I have to learn one rule: Not to shoot the whole time.

Give me a in-house StarFox game again, Nintendo.

My twitter friends have been hyping this like mad for the past couple of days and, now that I have my hands on the game and started it earlier today, I can see that all that hype is definitely justified. I wouldn't describe myself as someone who has been all that bothered in the past by loot drops in games and the hunt to find new weapons, but it has gripped me with this game.

Controls took a bit of getting used to, but within 10 minutes I was used to them and they work really well. Still prefer the flying section to those on foot, but overall there's little I can fault with the gameplay.

Story is nice too - obviously not all that in-depth, but the Saturday morning cartoon stuff works well and the nods to the NES games are appreciated too.

So yeah, so far so good!

My twitter friends have been hyping this like mad for the past couple of days and, now that I have my hands on the game and started it earlier today, I can see that all that hype is definitely justified. I wouldn't describe myself as someone who has been all that bothered in the past by loot drops in games and the hunt to find new weapons, but it has gripped me with this game.

Controls took a bit of getting used to, but within 10 minutes I was used to them and they work really well. Still prefer the flying section to those on foot, but overall there's little I can fault with the gameplay.

Story is nice too - obviously not all that in-depth, but the Saturday morning cartoon stuff works well and the nods to the NES games are appreciated too.

So yeah, so far so good!

It only gets better... and better... and then somehow even better.

The game really just keeps topping itself and I'm not even halfway done with the main story cause I keep going back to play at a higher difficulty level. >.<

NeoRausch

Ok, here's every FC I noticed skimming through the last few pages:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoL4QPZDXzWPdHJNZldRYVZ1Z0tHX3ZSWmdDVUpTS0E

Add yourself and all that and maybe we can get some games going.

Edit: Changed to spreadsheet because that seems like it would have way less clutter.
Ah cool! Added myself and added everyone on the list.

did you guys see that the game show in the friendslist even what mode your boddy is playing. Singleplayer, Multiplayer solo etc.

edit:

yes, it does! Very nice!
does this game support the "join" feature?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It only gets better... and better... and then somehow even better.

The game really just keeps topping itself and I'm not even halfway done with the main story cause I keep going back to play at a higher difficulty level. >.<

So, it's really Tengen Toppa Kid Icarus Lagann.

Ah cool! Added myself and added everyone on the list.

did you guys see that the game show in the friendslist even what mode your boddy is playing. Singleplayer, Multiplayer solo etc.

edit:

yes, it does! Very nice!
does this game support the "join" feature?

Yup.
And just like with MK7, it'll tell you what mode that person is playing in.

aaaagh what am I doing wrong I am not getting any damage off these green dudes
they are protecting the bomb at the depot

ah that was so easy I was focusing on the wrong thing! face palm smh

anyone else hates pit's captain goody speeches lol so annoying

Ragus

Banned
I recommend playing with bots. Not only it's fun, you also learn how to play online as the bots aren't dumb, and you can get a nice weapon.

zroid

Banned

bFSV4.png

Same theme ;P

Goli

I added myself to the Friend Code spreadsheet thingy and am in the process of adding everyone else, hopefully we all can play online :D.
I really didn't enjoy this game much at first but it's starting to grow on me. I really love just playing to get new weapons to fuse and then get stronger weapons and fuse them and so forth, so addicting.

backlot

aaaagh what am I doing wrong I am not getting any damage off these green dudes
they are protecting the bomb at the depot

Are they the color changing enemies? I forget what level they start appearing but there is an enemy that can only be melee'd when he's one color and only range attacked while he's another color.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, this is surprisingly fun! It's basically Sin and Punishment with a Kid Icarus theme and that's an awesome thing! Really enjoying it thus far.

Top Bottom