• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think Orbitars are my favourite weapon. :)

Just finished level 3 lol. I like how the boss has different dialogue depending on what you do in the air battle. It has made watching the cutscenes always awesome.

Jintor

I think Orbitars are my favourite weapon. :)

Just finished level 3 lol. I like how the boss has different dialogue depending on what you do in the air battle. It has made watching the cutscenes always awesome.

Oh, was that it? I thought it was the intensity rating.

KarmaCow

What's so great about orbitars? I haven't used them that much but I don't see what makes them stand out compared to say, blades. Does having two shots at a time make that much of a difference?

KevinCow

Banned
I noticed that when fusing Weapon Type A with Weapon Type B, it'll always result in Weapon Type C, so I made this chart. I guess someone somewhere might find it useful somehow.

H4zyT.png

There were a few combinations I couldn't do. Since all the other weapon types have 5 ways to make them, I assume that three of the blanks are cannons and the last one is a club.

mu-chan

Neo Member
What's so great about orbitars? I haven't used them that much but I don't see what makes them stand out compared to say, blades. Does having two shots at a time make that much of a difference?

Orbitars shots generally deliver more damage the further they travel. Oh, and you know how you can't move as fast in air battles when you're shooting? With Orbitars, your speed doesn't drop!

Anteo

So I'm going into this game completely blind. I have no idea what this plastic stand is for, or what the AR cards are for, and I've never played a KI game. I'm sure once I start playing it will all become clear, I just thought it was funny that I picked up a game with all this extra stuff and have no clue what's going on.

You put the cards on the stand and throw away the 3ds

KarmaCow

Orbitars shots generally deliver more damage the further they travel. Oh, and you know how you can't move as fast in air battles when you're shooting? With Orbitars, your speed doesn't drop!

Ah okay, that makes sense. I've been mostly the Twin Bellows Cannon as my long range weapon, I'll try the orbitars out in a misson.

zroid

Banned
I noticed that when fusing Weapon Type A with Weapon Type B, it'll always result in Weapon Type C, so I made this chart. I guess someone somewhere might find it useful somehow.

There were a few combinations I couldn't do. Since all the other weapon types have 5 ways to make them, I assume that three of the blanks are cannons and the last one is a club.

cool, thanks!

Teknoman

My Pokémon cards are stuffed in a binder somewhere. Playing with those was actually fun, though. You can't really play with the Kid Icarus ones...unless you, like, caress Magnus or Palutena or Monoeye or something.

I know the game has a TON of effort put into it, but I kind of wish the card battle element was even more fleshed out. Nothing too complicated, but something more than just bang effects.

Of course i'm sure Pokemon is going to blitz this generation with AR trading cards.

Anteo

I know the game has a TON of effort put into it, but I kind of wish the card battle element was even more fleshed out. Nothing too complicated, but something more than just bang effects.

Of course i'm sure Pokemon is going to blitz this generation with AR trading cards.

For the Pokemon tcg
1. Start adding special patterns to the cards.
2. Make 3ds games that recognizes this patterns and can play the card game with AR
3. ????
4. Profit

branny

Orbies are the cutest weapon (angels, shields, paw pads, etc.). It's like double Mags in PSO! You also pirouette like a graceful little angel when you sidedash attack with them. What's not to like? >:|

Every single weapon (not just weapon type, but weapon weapon) is completely different to begin with, and, with stats thrown into the mix, things get really interesting. Effective ranges and shot types are totally different, and each weapon also alters how quickly you move, how quickly you tire, and does certain amounts of damage at certain distances. So...

Orbitars are sort of like the "mage" weapon in this game. They often have sneaky or weird properties, like Q's crazy shields, or a pair of angel ones I have that recharge their charge shot almost immediately or paw pads that push enemies away. I believe they're all mid-range weapons that don't reach long super distances and do less damage as you move up close. You'll want to stay as far away as you can while still remaining within their effective range. Their melee attack also isn't the best, but it specifically pushes enemies away from you, I believe. They're also lightweight, but they don't really give a speed bonus like claws do, right? And, like mu-chan said, they don't reduce your speed while shooting during flying sections.

Busaiku

So are there more weapons later in the game?

So far, the Palms I've gotten/can get are...
Violet, Pudgy, Ninja, Burning, Cursed, Midnight, and Great Reaper.
Might be missing one or two that I have gotten, but forgot about or something.

Are there any more types, or is that it?

Also, is 5 the highest attack rating?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Sakurai TOTALLY got the idea for the chest with legs from Dark Souls. I actually think he might have been influenced by that game somehow since I remember him talking about it. That's a very good thing.

Busaiku

Sakurai TOTALLY got the idea for the chest with legs from Dark Souls. I actually think he might have been influenced by that game somehow since I remember him talking about it. That's a very good thing.

Or you know, Mimics from the dozens of other JRPGs.

branny

I still haven't gone past Chapter 8. Being a loot whore replaying old stages and trying to rape bots in MP is too much fun.

Poyunch

For those of you guys using the stand, what Intensity are you playing at?
I don't think I could ever handle using that beyond 5.0.

Also, hurray I managed to complete Chapter 1 at 9.0.
But I didn't et anything worthwhile...

If it's the first try I usually start at 5.0 and then on replays I got around 7.5-8.0 depending on how hard of a time I had originally. Then 9.0.

Korosenai

Just beat the game.

Hands trembling. One of my favorite Nintendo games of all time.

INCREDIBLE. Simply. Incredible.

I haven't beat it yet, but i've put in 13 hours on it since yesterday playing multiplayer and I just beat chapter 6....

But I agree with

"Hands trembling. One of my favorite Nintendo games of all time.

INCREDIBLE. Simply. Incredible."

Just played the 1st 2 chapters and it was a lot of fun. Like the flying portions a lot more than the on-foot parts, but overall it's still great. Playing at the default difficulty, so it's pretty easy but I need that as I'm still getting used to the controls. Great visuals at times. I said wow.

Neiteio

You people who love the aerial sections are going to fucking love Chapter 22.

The true final villain of the game is one the best new Nintendo characters in ages. Would love to see this character in the next Smash.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just played the 1st 2 chapters and it was a lot of fun. Like the flying portions a lot more than the on-foot parts, but overall it's still great. Playing at the default difficulty, so it's pretty easy but I need that as I'm still getting used to the controls. Great visuals at times. I said wow.

Chapter 7 is gonna blow your mind, visually speaking.

Getting towards the end, will probably beat it tomorrow.

Chapter 18 was incredible. This game is just so good. I've always adored Smash, but I think this game has firmly established Sakurai as my favorite Nintendo developer. I also have to say, some of the weird stuff in this game is Kojima-tier weird.

Like I said before, only 2 chapters in, but already I can see this game going some 'crazy' places, especially with all the dialogue. Even early on I can kind of tell the developers going into this thing with a "let's just have fun with it" attitude.

Teknoman

Ok, here's every FC I noticed skimming through the last few pages:

Code:
FloppyDelux - 4167-4493-2397
Codeblue  - 4253-3521-5182
RawkHawk2010 - 4081-5682-3874
Dreweyes - 4897-6224-7961
QisTopTier - 1332 7766 1917
NubInaTub -  5155-3032-4812
JoeFenix   -  0989-1746-4860

Add yourself and all that and maybe we can get some games going.

Hopefully Exterminieren updates the FC section soon...or we could just make a new spreadsheet.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone help me with dodging? I've watched the tutorial video and I'm still having trouble. I think it's because my timing is off, but is there any way to tell when exactly to flick the analog left or right to dodge? How about for air dodging? Thanks for your help!

For air dodging you need to be in flight mode, which you go in after not aiming/shooting for a few seconds. You just flick the circle pad in one direction and then quickly flick in the opposite.

For the ground, just flick the circle pad when close to a target or enemy attack. Remember that you can also dodge "through" things like lasers.

(Think Smash Bros.)

backlot

There's no real source and the only thing it says is basically "we've heard Kid Icarus is capable of being patched." Doesn't really confirm it will be patched.

KevinCow

Banned
If they can patch it in, I hope they do. It's an amazing game, and it would be a shame for some people to miss out on it because they don't like the control scheme.

But I don't think they will, even if they can.

Top Bottom