• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Laws00

Dude did you actually get the discount in the 22nd? What timezone are you in?
No I didn't get the discount. Doesn't care. I know its only 4 bucks but its whatever to me. Now the game was 60 bucks I'd have held off till the discount.
40 doesn't seem as bad to me as 60 does

derFeef

What was the TJ Combo's combo trait btw ?

From the wiki:
Auto Barrage - TJ Combo can cancel any hit off any Auto-Double into another Auto-Double of a different strength, punch or kick, as long as that Auto-Double has not been used in the Auto Barrage, i.e. Hard Punch to Medium Kick to Medium Punch etc. until he hits all six buttons. If Combo can successfully go through all six buttons during this combo without getting broken, he goes into a unique ender causing a lot of damage.

So it's like Around The World but a little more freeform?

m23

Mick tweeted that he sent the stuff a week ago, and he doesn't even know if it will come out today.

It's all in Microsoft's hands at this point.

Who do we need to tweet at now? Ken Lobb I guess would be a place to start.

This is so annoying, I've been waiting for this since launch lol.

Shredderi

Who do we need to tweet at now? Ken Lobb I guess would be a place to start.

This is so annoying, I've been waiting for this since launch lol.

Tell me about. Been salivating for the official mixes for as long as we have known about this game. What the fuck is the hold up? Just fucking release it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So how is everyone feeling about Combos specifics now that we get hands on time with it all?
  • Do you think he's a big change to the overall game?
  • Do you think the system changes benefit him more or less than other characters?
  • Would he have been as fun to play under S1 rules, or did he need S2 gameplay to make him good?

For me, I feel like he blows up the anti-air game very well. He defines how scary recapture can be, and give a very big case as to why aerial combo-counters are needed now.

He probably would have felt bad in S1 if he was made like he is here. The ability to turn a launcher linker into a ground combo is pretty fun. I hope we get to do it with a real "grappler"-ish character in the future. Being able to force restand on juggles, and then being going into unique multiple grapple enders would be great.

TJ derived dash options feels a little bloated in a way, in that they don't feel as intuitive as Saberwulf;s did, to me. I like it though; The way they've been able to squeeze in moves with Target combos and command normals feels really nice.

I also think it feels really good to play a "Boxer" with some kick normals for a change. Not that I don't enjoy the creative way most boxers get around the lack of feet-based footsie tools, but somehow it just feels good to see this first-centric character get some flying knees, solid medium kicks, and some "BIG BOOT!" normals.

Shadow dashing straight loose-backleg still looks soo goofy, I have no idea how an animator would let that persist for so long. Kinda feel the same about his chopping single-arm hooks for the Stand-still part of his ultra. Why not just go into a really fast series of his combo trait punches, or the left right string that comes from mashing his weak punch? I get that it's kinda like throttling the small punching bag with a single arm, but the full motion just looks too stiff to give off the feeling. I DO however like the rise in the music during those hits. The growth in intensity of SE is pretty well done.

=====

As far as early-access S2? After playing against Killer difficulty Combo for a long while yesterday, I kinda wanna Hate Aerial Combo breakers and counters. The ability to break SOOO often is pretty annoying in a way. Of course, it keeps you engaged a bit more, and opens up damage potential heavily, so it's kind of great overall. I miss being able to guaranteed style on people in the air most. Being able to shadow cash-out juggles now though is probably a fair trade...

Spinal's Dash Cancels and more solid Skull Growth feel pretty great for me. Love that added versatility and "freak out" potential.

Jago's instinct fireballs are crazy fun to mess with. I miss the ability to pop a resource at rounds end, and get health back, because... It felt unique from the rest of the cast, or most fighters in general. Kinda like how you'd get more health back in some KoF games if you beat the opponents faster. Spend a bunch of resources on meter DMs and such, get more health back for yourself on your lifebar...

...but the way it is now is probably more fun. It'll beg for combo breakers in live combat, but being able to combo a standing opponent with multi weak endo's for a regen combo is pretty funny after winning a round.

SKUUBA FEEVA! Call of Sky does decent damage, interesting how he'll cast more harm when trading projectiles at times. I now wish he had some kind of Ender variation of the move.

Glacius Return of Bouncing Fireball is probably one of the best repurposed animation changes ever, ha. Sending it out, causing your opponent to leap at you with an anti-projectile move, only to then puddle-dodge it and take them by surprise, is quite fun.

I got used to manual Fulgore charge, not having it there feels really weird. Trading free multi fireaball for semi-costly multi which lets you choose the speeds is pretty unique. Teleportation feels more natural to use now, which is good.

The people on UC.com spoke much of the increased hitstop making the game feel sluggish when going for manuals and what now. Anyone here getting that? I notice it a few places, but overall, I think the normalizing of hitstun after linkers was a good choice. That's the kind of thing that makes sense to be universal in a game like this. I think it helps encourage multi-character play more, too.

Haven't even talked about the overhaul to shadow enders and increased normal starter damage, but I think that's more than enough for now.

dankir

Woahhh Combo is hard for me, really weird to play!

His autos I find are much slower to come out, so you need to pace your timing otherwise you'll miss your linker by miles. Should make his manuals even more interesting actually.

His aerial recapture adds a lot of variety to his combos.

I really like is D,U FP move into air target combo xx into his recapture move and continue on the ground.

Really impressed at how unique IG made him.

derFeef

Yes the auto-timings are really long, even for the lights.
I like his options, but he seems really timing based - and that I am having the hardest time with in fighters ;)

edit: also I hope some of the animations are not final :/
The taunt is... no idea what that even is.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Speaking of animation, the part of it I'm actually impressed with... is the facial animations. Even Combo's in-stage intro is really good (the way he thumbs his nose while psyching himself up is a nice minor detail). And the grin he gives while motioning for the title belt in his victory pose goes by so quick, but adds good personality to it all.

Other stuff... yeah. They seem to be getting there, but DH had much more natural understanding of how to ease in and out of motions in ways that looked proper.

bumpkin

Speaking of animation, the part of it I'm actually impressed with... is the facial animations. Even Combo's in-stage intro is really good (the way he thumbs his nose while psyching himself up is a nice minor detail). And the grin he gives while motioning for the title belt in his victory pose goes by so quick, but adds good personality to it all.
I don't know why, but your description reminds me of the little jaw shift/teeth grind that Spinal does during his own pose. It wouldn't be quite as awesome without it!

derFeef

I don't know why, but your description reminds me of the little jaw shift/teeth grind that Spinal does during his own pose. It wouldn't be quite as awesome without it!

Yes, love that! And I agree, been impressed by the facial animations of TJ and what I have seen of Maya so far - adds a lot of personality!

Delt31

Yes, love that! And I agree, been impressed by the facial animations of TJ and what I have seen of Maya so far - adds a lot of personality!

what is up with the clipping though on his shoulders at the character select screen? It looks like an action figure where you can see the joint connect and part of the should (lower right) seems to clip through. Anyone else see that?

Also the taunt is dumb. no joke. Really impressed otherwise - moves are fun as hell.

So how is everyone feeling about Combos specifics now that we get hands on time with it all?
  • Do you think he's a big change to the overall game?
  • Do you think the system changes benefit him more or less than other characters?
  • Would he have been as fun to play under S1 rules, or did he need S2 gameplay to make him good?

For me, I feel like he blows up the anti-air game very well. He defines how scary recapture can be, and give a very big case as to why aerial combo-counters are needed now.

He probably would have felt bad in S1 if he was made like he is here. The ability to turn a launcher linker into a ground combo is pretty fun. I hope we get to do it with a real "grappler"-ish character in the future. Being able to force restand on juggles, and then being going into unique multiple grapple enders would be great.

TJ derived dash options feels a little bloated in a way, in that they don't feel as intuitive as Saberwulf;s did, to me. I like it though; The way they've been able to squeeze in moves with Target combos and command normals feels really nice.

I also think it feels really good to play a "Boxer" with some kick normals for a change. Not that I don't enjoy the creative way most boxers get around the lack of feet-based footsie tools, but somehow it just feels good to see this first-centric character get some flying knees, solid medium kicks, and some "BIG BOOT!" normals.

Shadow dashing straight loose-backleg still looks soo goofy, I have no idea how an animator would let that persist for so long. Kinda feel the same about his chopping single-arm hooks for the Stand-still part of his ultra. Why not just go into a really fast series of his combo trait punches, or the left right string that comes from mashing his weak punch? I get that it's kinda like throttling the small punching bag with a single arm, but the full motion just looks too stiff to give off the feeling. I DO however like the rise in the music during those hits. The growth in intensity of SE is pretty well done.

=====

As far as early-access S2? After playing against Killer difficulty Combo for a long while yesterday, I kinda wanna Hate Aerial Combo breakers and counters. The ability to break SOOO often is pretty annoying in a way. Of course, it keeps you engaged a bit more, and opens up damage potential heavily, so it's kind of great overall. I miss being able to guaranteed style on people in the air most. Being able to shadow cash-out juggles now though is probably a fair trade...

Spinal's Dash Cancels and more solid Skull Growth feel pretty great for me. Love that added versatility and "freak out" potential.

Jago's instinct fireballs are crazy fun to mess with. I miss the ability to pop a resource at rounds end, and get health back, because... It felt unique from the rest of the cast, or most fighters in general. Kinda like how you'd get more health back in some KoF games if you beat the opponents faster. Spend a bunch of resources on meter DMs and such, get more health back for yourself on your lifebar...

...but the way it is now is probably more fun. It'll beg for combo breakers in live combat, but being able to combo a standing opponent with multi weak endo's for a regen combo is pretty funny after winning a round.

SKUUBA FEEVA! Call of Sky does decent damage, interesting how he'll cast more harm when trading projectiles at times. I now wish he had some kind of Ender variation of the move.

Glacius Return of Bouncing Fireball is probably one of the best repurposed animation changes ever, ha. Sending it out, causing your opponent to leap at you with an anti-projectile move, only to then puddle-dodge it and take them by surprise, is quite fun.

I got used to manual Fulgore charge, not having it there feels really weird. Trading free multi fireaball for semi-costly multi which lets you choose the speeds is pretty unique. Teleportation feels more natural to use now, which is good.

The people on UC.com spoke much of the increased hitstop making the game feel sluggish when going for manuals and what now. Anyone here getting that? I notice it a few places, but overall, I think the normalizing of hitstun after linkers was a good choice. That's the kind of thing that makes sense to be universal in a game like this. I think it helps encourage multi-character play more, too.

Haven't even talked about the overhaul to shadow enders and increased normal starter damage, but I think that's more than enough for now.

wait, glacius got his fireball back? whats the command?

edit: nvm im dumb

dankir

thanks man on each hit he can do it, now I understand what the CPU was doing, it is a very strong trait

Yeah but the problem is that each punch comes out slow and once people start recognizing them ( they are the same animations as the auto doubles, etc. ) you'll have to get more creative, I played a few exhibition matches, its great when you have a lockout xx round the world xx shadow linker xx ender.

He does a shitload of damage too which makes him that much scarier.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
bumpkin, derFeef: Ha, totally agreed with you both! So much stuff with Spinal works so well, if kinda feels... natural. Which is odd, because his motions are as unnatural as they come.

And then Maya's face looks especially great, given the issues had with Orchid, and all the mask wearers in the game to this point, which help cut down on some face animating details. She's much more expressive than I would have expected.

Emperor Bohe: No problem, it's not the most obvious thing unless you know the Patch Notes. It really helps make that 1 move even more useful and feature-filled. The most versatile single projectile in fighters?

El Sabroso

Yeah but the problem is that each punch comes out slow and once people start recognizing them ( they are the same animations as the auto doubles, etc. ) you'll have to get more creative, I played a few exhibition matches, its great when you have a lockout xx round the world xx shadow linker xx ender.

He does a shitload of damage too which makes him that much scarier.

yes that seems like a good damage tool, only 2 chances in a combo begore KB gets to 100 so it can be done 1st to snipe a lockout on the enemy then a linker and then the second to cash the damage, is risky tho

.la1n

edit: also I hope some of the animations are not final :/
The taunt is... no idea what that even is.

There's quite a bit of time between this build and what we get in October so here's hoping they aren't final. Right now the animation is pretty terrible in some spots and yeah that taunt is jank.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
TJ needs some work animation wise but damn he's fun to use.

Oh and playing KI2 makes me feel 15 again. :)

Mick tweeted that he sent the stuff a week ago, and he doesn't even know if it will come out today.

It's all in Microsoft's hands at this point.

Damn. I love this soundtrack.
Oh and Too tired to make any more tonight but there's 3.

As for Combo himself. I haven't played him yet. Been playing everyone else for a bit and even gone against him. He's fun and his priority is silly beans at times. His uppercut destroys Thunders 'Tomahawk Buster'.

The soundtrack is supposed to release today?! Is there any info on that at all? I've been following Mick's Twitter on and off but had no clue. Do we even know the target digital storefronts? Hopefully not just iTunes... No chance of a physical release, right?

EDIT:
Did some digging myself:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Ishmae1/status/514475220208332801
Adam Isgreen said:
Soundtrack: Soon, but maybe not today. Why: There's 2 albums: orig. arcade and S1. We want to offer a 2-disc version w/ a discount too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ishmae1/status/514477532851077120
Adam Isgreen said:
@thedaysleepers Sorry, a 2-album digital version. We want all the offers out at the same time, so that you can get a deal if u want both.

Top Bottom