• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Oh god, I'm feeling the urge. I told myself I wouldn't buy the Xbone at the current price but I want to play this sooooooo badly. Damn it!

I hate you guys so much. ;)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I had the same issue last night. Could not really function very well, thanks in large part to the d-pad. It's too small, and too low-profile. It is also off to the side, which makes it incredibly difficult to use for fighting games. Its placement reinforces its intended use, which is for menus and changing weapons in FPS games or whatever.

So now if I want to play KI, I'm gonna need:

An Xbone - $500
An Xbone controller to sacrifice for the sake of dual-modding a stick - $60
KI - $20
Stick modding labor - $70-100, depending

So that's upwards of $680 before paying for an xbl gold subscription for online play. All for KI.

I can't bring myself to do it, as much as I like the game.
despite the controversy, xbo is going to be around for a long time. you can work out a $600 budget for ki if that's what you need to convince yourself it's not worth it, but you're taking $500 of that out of context. when have you ever had a single game for a console's entire lifespan? even if nothing else appeals to you right now, i wonder if you believe that will always be the case.

derFeef

lol how many matches in survival do i need to do to up the difficulty

i said fuck it and started at beginner just because i really want to unlock stuff... but this AI barely does anything and when it does... it's only pressing fierce making combo breaks a charm

at 19 wins and no change yet

Nice, beginner destorys me, lol.

deviant1

I took off work today only to sit around waiting for UPS to deliver my X1 ... still not here :(

And I have no time this evening or this weekend to play. Fuck!!

Sushigod7

Any chance the Pin edition coming back in stock has anyone heard anything? My MS store didn't get their shipment of them so no go on that and its sold out online.

dankir

Killer Instinct at 115" 7.1 LPCM baby?!@?!
BZsYRcOCQAA0tWY.jpg:large

Thank you Double Helix, Thanks Mick Gordon for this fucking sick game.

TE stick should be coming in soon.

HYPE!!!

despite the controversy, xbo is going to be around for a long time. you can work out a $600 budget for ki if that's what you need to convince yourself it's not worth it, but you're taking $500 of that out of context. when have you ever had a single game for a console's entire lifespan? even if nothing else appeals to you right now, i wonder if you believe that will always be the case.

I understand that the value will increase with the my console's age.

I also understand that the value tends to be minimal for the first year to 18 months of most console lifespans. So why get in day one?

As it stands, the only reason for me to own an Xbone right now is KI, which will cost almost $700 for the privilege of playing it for a year before another Xbone game that I want is released. It just doesn't make any sense.

I've repeated this pattern time and time again with new consoles: PSP, DS, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, Vita... I get the console, and it collects dust until good games start getting released. In the meantime, I play great games I already have that are already out on consoles I already own, at little to no additional cost. This is a thing I can do *without* buying a new console.

KI is, in my opinion, the best exclusive launch title since Super Mario 64. The problem is, the combined cost to play it is too high for me. If the d-pad were better suited for fighting games, if the Xbone didn't bundle a kinect and a $100 premium over its competitor, then I would buy an Xbone before a PS4, as the cost would be essentially $420, which is a lot more realistic than $700, especially given my current budget.

In the meantime, I'll just play at friends' houses.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
where did Max get the Fightstick?

No one has it in stock and it appears like Madcatz store hasn't shipped them either?

MarkMan told me FS/BestBuy were getting a large shipment of them... I preordered first day.

It certainly seems like that order wasn't fulfilled. Sorta disappointing :/

It doesn't help there is a fairly high demand for the sticks either

dankir

MarkMan told me FS/BestBuy were getting a large shipment of them... I preordered first day.

It certainly seems like that order wasn't fulfilled. Sorta disappointing :/

It doesn't help there is a fairly high demand for the sticks either

Bestbuy.ca says order in process for me regarding the stick. Should be here early next week no?

Also add me on live!

DONKER

DopeyFish

Bestbuy.ca says order in process for me regarding the stick. Should be here early next week no?

Also add me on live!

DONKER

I'll add shortly... my order says in process but the item says out of stock

I called FS and they said nothing was allocated for me

DopeyFish

dont know if there's a bug, but i can't find/add you dankir

I AM SO CONFUSED

omg i had to put all the spaces between your name

it doesn't assume it's one block any more... chaos.

Kacho

Still waiting on the bulk of my games to arrive from Amazon. Been having a great time with the One thus far. Killer Instinct is as every bit of awesome as I hoped it would be. The new dpad makes playing the controller enjoyable. Hot damn.

DopeyFish

Weird, whats your GT I'll add you.

DopeyFish

I did add you...

I kind of don't like how the friends list stuff works right now... when I click add friend, it follows you

But I don't see a way to see who my new followers are

Kind of cuts off part of the blind social aspect

mr stroke

Playing this on a controlled is hard, using the triggers for punches/kicks and Ultras can be a pain. How did Madcatz fuck up the fightstick by not having them out on launch, even with pre-orders :(

RetroStu

Banned
Those screenshots look crazy good. Double Helix did so well with this game, it shows you how good they can be with a game they are actually passionate about rather than being hired to do the next lame movie tie in.

Timu

Those screenshots look crazy good. Double Helix did so well with this game, it shows you how good they can be with a game they are actually passionate about rather than being hired to do the next lame movie tie in.
Yeah it definitely shows, glad they could pull it off.=p

ShogunX

Played a few decent players so far. This game is so fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn0aFB1U4u4

I'm watching this vid and hearing the Thunder theme in the background very clearly (as well as the clank of Thunder's axe's) and thinking what the fuck were Escapist smoking when they tried to downplay the sound in this game?

It blows my mind how somebody supposedly critiquing the game could get something so very wrong. It's borderline incompetence :)

Edit - Holy shit at the power of Thunder's instinct mode.

Terrell

I have to say, the release scheme for this game may be a way to pull off fighters in the future, for better or worse. Alternate business models really need to be considered to keep certain genres in their prime.

ShogunX

I'm an extremely casual fighter fan, but this game has me extremely hyped, can I still be competitive with a control?

Don't see why not seeing as not many people will have the Arcade stick due to low stock. I wonder if Madcatz underestimated the demand?

Gestault

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who isn't buying the XB1 anywhere near the launch window, but since a classic arcade machine of KI1 would run you between $400-750, buying a new system and a $40 version of the new Killer Instinct w/ KI Arcade sounds pretty ok to me (and a lot more practical in the long run).

Top Bottom