• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Damn Season 2 character select ui is really garbage looking. Reminds me of old mugen screenpacks back in the day
Yeah its bad and my biggest gripe next to Mayas unfinished looking flip kick animation (also TJs heavy spinning backfist linker animation desperately needs to be sped up) , but Adam did say the UI is a work in progress and they are willing to tweak it based on any overwhelming feedback.

Overall though the game is a big visual upgrade from S1, UI is pretty slick and I love the new look of the arcade mode ladder.

I really get the feeling that TJ's auto barrage is going to get nerfed a little bit. It's just so damn good. In time people will get a little better at breaking it I suppose but still, the amount of damage it does for 6 button presses is craaaazy.

tapedeck

So were the fight titles supposed to reset or not? I got a few of the S1 gold badges so I guess I didn't miss out on those.
Yeah they reset, but the gold badges mean you didnt lose anything, all your unlocks from S1 should be there. Its confusing because when you first start up S2 you get a bunch of the fight titles popping up/syncing for stuff you did in S1 and a bunch of S2 XP off those.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Played this last night for a bit.

A couple of caveots:

1) The only fighting game I was ever actually good at was VF2.
2) I've always liked fighters, but never been good at them beyond "beat my friend next door who also isn't good"

As a pure fun light-show nostalgia fest the game is amazing, the moves are fun and base level strategy is pretty accessible. I'm super happy with S2 so far.

Now, bring on RIIIIIPPPTTTTOOOORRRR

The new menu however, is super janky. It reminds me of like a bad Sega Saturn fighter menu. Like I think Fighting Vipers had a better menu.

So were the fight titles supposed to reset or not? I got a few of the S1 gold badges so I guess I didn't miss out on those.

Yeah, seeing this took the wind out of my sails last night. I got the XP from everything I did in S1, but seeing all the fight titles reset to 0 for all S1 characters sucks.

dankir

The resolution bump really makes a difference holy shit. I love Fulgore but his was pretty jaggy especially during the vs. screen.

He's so smooth and colors are definitely popping more. I like his Attack on Titan scheme the best and its just really nice to look at now.

And its all still 60 FPS? SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

drotahorror

So this game is free to play? What kind of model does it have? Do you earn points to unlock characters?

I thought there was only 1 character you could play as and no way to earn extra characters (via some sort of f2p model).

Yeah its bad and my biggest gripe next to Mayas unfinished looking flip kick animation (also TJs heavy spinning backfist linker animation desperately needs to be sped up) , but Adam did say the UI is a work in progress and they are willing to tweak it based on any overwhelming feedback.

Overall though the game is a big visual upgrade from S1, UI is pretty slick and I love the new look of the arcade mode ladder.

That makes me think, how reliable is the frame data in ths?

Also, Combo Full theme.
So good

Does anybody know if Microsoft has a webstore like PSN? I'd like to order Season 2 $20 pack from work and push to my Xbone - but I'm not sure it's actually possible.

Just tried the iphone app as well - super easy! I wish the PSN store did in-app purchases like that.

Does anybody know if Microsoft pays Apple a percentage of purchases because they come from within the app?

hwalker84

So this game is free to play? What kind of model does it have? Do you earn points to unlock characters?

I thought there was only 1 character you could play as and no way to earn extra characters (via some sort of f2p model).

KI Free/A la Carte ='s all modes and one character that rotates every week. You have the ability to purchase other characters individually for $5

KI Season 1 Regular ='s all the Season 1 characters
KI Season 1 Ultra ='s All the Season 1 characters + an extra outfit + the classic costumes + OG KI1

KI Season 2 Regular ='s all Season 2 characters (Just Maya and TJ now). This does not add Season 1's roster
KI Season 2 Ultra ='s All Season 2 Characters + Early access to the new characters + classic costumes + OG KI2 (with Online multiplayer)

I fell asleep last night waiting for the update so I've only played about an hour this morning.

I really love TJs stage, It looked great at RTX but now with the music and everything its definitely my favorite! I freaking suck with Maya lol I cant get used to her daggers and when to use them. It feels like its going to take me a while to get the basics down.

IG did an awesome job!

Nephtes

Yeah they reset, but the gold badges mean you didnt lose anything, all your unlocks from S1 should be there. Its confusing because when you first start up S2 you get a bunch of the fight titles popping up/syncing for stuff you did in S1 and a bunch of S2 XP off those.

Some of my unlocks did not carry over, only the unlocks I had that were equipped on my character or profile before the season 2 update.

A lot of my profile icons, taunts, and character equipment purchased in season 1 are gone.

tapedeck

That makes me think, how reliable is the frame data in ths?

Also, Combo Full theme.
So good
I would think
hope
they wouldnt dare up the resolution if the frame rate was at all affected. That said there is a very jarring hickup when fight challenges are met in game. Just turn in game toasts off.

Edit: misread, you said frame data, yea who knows lol
Some of my unlocks did not carry over, only the unlocks I had that were equipped on my character or profile before the season 2 update.

A lot of my profile icons, taunts, and character equipment purchased in season 1 are gone.
That sucks, all my stuff is there...must be yet another bug.

Ultimatum

Banned
Just tried the iphone app as well - super easy! I wish the PSN store did in-app purchases like that.

Does anybody know if Microsoft pays Apple a percentage of purchases because they come from within the app?

I don't think apple take a cut unless the content is for the device

not 100% sure though

Delt31

of course the giant bomb quick look is leagues ahead of all these other dumb websites and actually ask good questions. I'm looking at that joke of a website gamespot where they knew nothing about the game (similar to their driveclub diaster). Please guys give it up you're terrible.

AAAAAAnyway - Jeff asked if stage ultras were coming to S1 stages and IG said NOT RIGHT NOW. Just new stages.

wtf.

Chairhome

of course the giant bomb quick look is leagues ahead of all these other dumb websites and actually ask good questions. I'm looking at that joke of a website gamespot where they knew nothing about the game (similar to their driveclub diaster). Please guys give it up you're terrible.

AAAAAAnyway - Jeff asked if stage ultras were coming to S1 stages and IG said NOT RIGHT NOW. Just new stages.

wtf.

I'm kind of okay with that. New stages first, S1 stages when they have time to do it. I'd rather they focus on getting the other characters/stages/features out on time.

16BitNova

So wait. In S1 I can unlock accessories with KP points I unlocked while playing. Now the only was is to buy "GOLD" with real money or rank my character up? Does character rank also go down with losses? If so this sucks..

sangreal

So wait. In S1 I can unlock accessories with KP points I unlocked while playing. Now the only was is to buy "GOLD" with real money or rank my character up? Does character rank also go down with losses? If so this sucks..

It's the same as before except they removed the extra KP piece. Before you needed to gain ranks to unlock options in the store which you could then spend KP you had to earn on. Now they unlock automatically so you don't need to spend KP. Pretty sure you can't lose XP

also you can earn xp in every mode, unlike the rank requirements in season 1

16BitNova

It's the same as before except they removed the extra KP piece

Ok I was worried there for a second.

So far I'm having a lot fun with the new characters but, I'm not really digging this new UI. Everything just seems cluttered. I also don't see why they removed being able to see your opponent's(online) name and rank pre-match. Just seems like step backwards.

Delt31

I'm kind of okay with that. New stages first, S1 stages when they have time to do it. I'd rather they focus on getting the other characters/stages/features out on time.

problem is they've talked about doing so much but implemented so little. It's a disparaging pattern and unless people speak up, I feel like we're going to continue getting shafted. I think the budget must be low for this one which is causing the delays.

It's the same as before except they removed the extra KP piece. Before you needed to gain ranks to unlock options in the store which you could then spend KP you had to earn on. Now they unlock automatically so you don't need to spend KP. Pretty sure you can't lose XP

also you can earn xp in every mode, unlike the rank requirements in season 1

I'm OK with this.

.la1n

Ok I was worried there for a second.

So far I'm having a lot fun with the new characters but, I'm not really digging this new UI. Everything just seems cluttered. I also don't see why they removed being able to see your opponent's(online) name and rank pre-match. Just seems like step backwards.

I can see the benefit of it not showing rank beforehand if it cuts down on people disconnecting pre match. Otherwise I agree that the new UI is too busy.

16BitNova

I can see the benefit of it not showing rank beforehand if it cuts down on people disconnecting pre match. Otherwise I agree that the new UI is too busy.

Yeah I see what you're saying. To me though seeing a high rank only makes me try harder for that pride! lol.

Can any of you guys explain the ranking to me please? I see like 3 ranks. I think I understand 2 of them. The number next to my characters name (ex. Maya) is my character rank if I'm not mistaken. And ranked level is.. well my ranked level. But what about the one underneath my Gamertag that says "LVL **"? Whats that one have to do with?

DrDogg

Am I supposed to have an extra set of accessories for Maya and Combo? I have the Ultra Pack, but I only see one set for both. I unlocked a second body piece for Maya, but I thought Ultra owners were supposed to get the extra set. Are they not available yet?

I'm digging Maya, but you really need to get used to playing her. I think she has some really dumb stuff, but you need to get a handle on using the daggers for frame advantage to setup your 50/50s on block.

pelican

Apologies I cant check my XO as I'm travelling home atm, but is Season 2 out? Can't see it on my phone's smartglass.

I'm a bit confused;p

The IG guys (and previously DH) do overhype some small things more than needed, but we've known for WEEKS what we're getting, and we got a few small extras. If you reasonably manage your expectations, it's actually a bit better than the info presented.

The early access to Season 2 does lower the excitement for what we got some (since it's petered out the impact), but Maya and 2 new stages do bring something new to the landscape still. TJ has his colors, as does Maya, they have some accessories... and you have an entirely new way to earn things for characters, that might lead you into exploring people you didn't before. The experience definitely has some new stuff going for it, if you embrace it.

Very true, we have known for weeks. Actually fans have assumed what we will get since last Fall with all the "there will be a Season 2" talk. I believe there is a poll that was taken before Season 1 even came out to show what fans have requested the most. And yes, we did get returning cast and stage finishers. Two returning cast members (so far) and 1 stage finisher (so far). I know that things will be updated, but considering talk about Season 2 has been going since 2013, the lack of progress wasn't the best way to present the new season.

EDIT: Ah, found it!
02_kichart01.jpg

I hope the reason we're waiting on more stage ultras is because they're going for a different animation per stage. This "zoom in as something goes on in the background" is nice in theory, but I don't want this to happen in EVERY stage. Pits, or events that destroy the stage around the enemy should be handled differently.

Exactly. Like I was saying, fans have asked for stage finishers since the beginning. This seems like a quick way to go about doing it. Don't get me wrong, I think it is pretty cool, but the old games never had a particular button combination to execute a stage finisher. In the arcades, there was nothing cooler than doing a full out Ultra and the cherry on to would be to send somebody over the ledge. The animation is something else I agree with you on. It just doesn't feel like a whole lot of effort was put into something "cool" and rather made it something that was just "there". I dunno.
This...
0000.png

0001.png

0002.png

0003.png

...is more along the lines of what people expected/wanted.

Can't agree at all. If Capcom gave me the choice to start using characters from Super II Turbo while Super II itself was out, I would have flipped back in the day. If my KoF 97 could have turned into 98 for 40 bucks with incremental updates, I would have put off other games, just to be there at each stage of KoF's development.

I understand what you're saying. Heck, I agree! How awesome would it have been to play as Akuma in Super II instead of having to find an arcade or 3D0 to play Super II Turbo? It goes back to what I am saying though, once you get to play as him, it kind of makes the other characters that have been around since you got the game...boring. Same thing I'm afraid is going to happen to KI. I enjoy the game, don't get me wrong. Like I was saying though, I had the exact same experience playing it after I got Season 2 as I did before I got Season 2. I still stick with my main character, but everybody thought Season 2 was going to bring a ton of new things to the table. Again, stage finishers, possibly no mercys, and revamped old stages to have stage finishers on them that you'd kind of have to figure out how to trigger which would bring a new presentation of creativity to the game. I know, I know...the development cycle hit a snag. I'm not saying Iron Galaxy did a bad job or they can't do it right. I'm saying they should have taken their time and waited to release a fully realized presentation. It probably wasn't up to them, though. Silver lining here is that they show promise!

Instead of watching the Tekken 7 location test, I'd have loved to been playing it for the next 6 months, y'know?

Yeah, I know what you're saying here as well. Again, I agree with you. I'd love to be playing it! The thing is though, I'd want them to release it once their presentation is complete. I feel like a location test is more of a trial and error of bugs, glitches, and mechanics of the gameplay. Which is fine! If Iron Galaxy wanted to do this with Killer Instinct, then I'd be more than happy to be a part of the process of helping them tweak it by being somebody who would play the game and be one of the oogles of fans giving them input. What I'm saying is, Tekken 7's location tests have never promised anything. It is nothing more than to give fans their first taste of the new Tekken while getting input to make a better final version for the arcade and home.

I think where KI sort of dropped the ball is that fans had all these expectations for Season 2. Sure, they are probably coming, but we won't see it to its completion until, what, April? All of this buildup was for something that should have been a lot more complete than what we got last night. It just didn't feel worth the wait, and maybe that's why I'm so hard on it.

However, I do understand and agree with a lot of what you said! I do have fun with the game. I never felt it was a bad game, honestly. I just think that if Iron Galaxy can implement in all of the features stylistically people expect out of the KI series' "charm", then the people who will buy the 2 seasons combines in the Spring will get a more "blown away" experience than those of us going through the piecemeal experience.

bumpkin

This might be a dumb question, but how do you do the stage ultra in TJ Combo's level? Is there like a sweet spot or something?

This might be a dumb question, but how do you do the stage ultra in TJ Combo's level? Is there like a sweet spot or something?

Go to the far left of the stage and do your character's stage ultra command (it's in the moves list in the pause menu). Hope this helps! :) Not a dumb question at all, took me a few times to get it as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Am I supposed to have an extra set of accessories for Maya and Combo? I have the Ultra Pack, but I only see one set for both. I unlocked a second body piece for Maya, but I thought Ultra owners were supposed to get the extra set. Are they not available yet?

I'm digging Maya, but you really need to get used to playing her. I think she has some really dumb stuff, but you need to get a handle on using the daggers for frame advantage to setup your 50/50s on block.

Yeah, guessing they aren't done yet.

So pissed that I kept getting hit by the stats reset bug and the game taunted me by having this happen just before season 2 so no badge for me Level 01/ Level 01 ::nerdrage::

Seriously hope it is finally fixed in Season 2...but damn at not being able to get my "been there since day 1" acknowledgement

you and i both

problem is they've talked about doing so much but implemented so little. It's a disparaging pattern and unless people speak up, I feel like we're going to continue getting shafted. I think the budget must be low for this one which is causing the delays.

?? I think the big rebalancing patch coming out before the actual launch has warped your perspective a bit. Did you forget that they significantly tweaked and added new moves to basically everyone from S1? That Fulgore had a complete overhaul to how he plays? That we got Air counter breakers? These are pretty major changes and was all in anticipation for S2. We just got it early. I get that launching the new season with just 2 characters is a bit underwhelming given that context, but let's not act like they haven't implemented some major new stuff. I also don't know why you would expect stage finishers any time soon for stages that were never really meant to have them. It makes more sense that they would be focusing that kind of thing on the new stages since they can kill two birds with one stone.

Also also, I'm pretty sure any delay in content has a lot more to do with IG having an extremely limited amount of time to get S2 out the door more than budget.

.la1n

Looking forward to seeing some more stage finishers. Makes sense it would be easiest for the team to implement them in new stages since they can work through it from scratch. I will say this, so far IG's accessories blow DH goofy ones out of the water.

I have faith their alternate skins will be much better quality as well.

AMUSIX

Loving the update to the game/gameplay. Hate, hate, hate the massive step backwards in character customization. As someone who plays mostly in-person multiplayer, losing the ability to have different styles of the same character selectable is a terrible.

Unfortunately, I doubt they can go back to the old system, where customization was pinned to the costume colors.

R.I.P Rocker Jago (classic costume, black color, keytar)

Awesome. Will purchase later today.

To clarify, it's there only during gameplay menus (pause menu/after match menu) and you can only flip through three selections, so no more scrolling through a long list to hear the jingle. The main menus do NOT have the song.

robotrock

Banned
To clarify, it's there only during gameplay menus (pause menu/after match menu) and you can only flip through three selections, so no more scrolling through a long list to hear the jingle. The main menus do NOT have the song.

Did the main menus in Season 1 have the song? I can't remember if the main menus had it, but I definitely remember the gameplay menus having them. In any case, as long as it's still in for the gameplay menus, that's good enough for me.

Really enjoying playing again with the new characters in the mix.

I also really hope they change the fight HUD and SUPREME and especially the rank up/down and texts.

Top Bottom